Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Legion has been in-dev since TBC.

Alex Brazie, renowned Game Designer who worked on WoW throughout Vanilla until Cataclysm before ending up on League of Legends, has been writing a post-mortem on his time designing WoW. Recently he reflected on building the Ring of Blood quest-line in TBC Nagrand and one excerpt I think the Lore buffs will find interesting was this:

Skra’gath is another amazing model that came out of the game very late in Burning Crusade.

A wandering voidlord model, Skra’gath was created to begin hinting at the deeper story of the N’aaru, the void-kind and the story beyond Burning Crusade that is just now beginning to be written out in the story of Illidan in his book.

Yes, guys, this story line goes back that far. Can you really believe that Metzen thought that far ahead? Well, he’s been planning this next expansion for a very, very long time.
    It's nothing really new to add to the development of the story other than to somewhat silence the critics who would say that the entire Void God / Elder Naaru storyline has only recently been fabricated. I think that maybe it was always the end game.

Plug for Brazie's excellent blog:

http://xelnath.com/2016/05/16/post-m...ring-of-blood/

7+ Year Old Account
    No that doesn't surprise me at all, actually. While there is stuff in Chronicle that feels like it came together fairly recently as a "fill in the blanks" kind of thing, other stuff has obviously been there for a long time, such as the Naaru/Void stuff and fate of the Titans (was in place for MoP).

Thanks for the link, very cool.

Lol, I highly doubt they were thinking ahead at all, given how they completely squandered Kael'thas and Illidan so hard.

Wasn't that M'uru turned into a "Void God" the slightly bigger hint?

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoadbearer View Post
    Lol, I highly doubt they were thinking ahead at all, given how they completely squandered Kael'thas and Illidan so hard.
    Illidan is a good example of something they're using today, but obviously didn't plan it back then, considering their promise to fix it in the past and how the first step of that was in Mists of Pandaria, not Burning Crusade (obviously Kael'thas was in a similar situation, but he's not coming back).

I think the thinking ahead is more like the Demon Hunter class itself, where they considered doing it, but had to wait again for the right opportunity, rather than paving an entire path into the future and just waiting to reveal it. The Chronicle really made me feel like there was stuff dropped at least as early as Mists of Pandaria, and maybe even a couple of things in Cataclysm, that are only being explained now, but I don't think they had laid out how that would all turn out, just ideas they had that weren't relevant enough to work on elaborating yet.

10+ Year Old Account
    When they say thinking ahead, I think it's more like thinking ahead with the bigger picture rather than the small details like individual characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntardicus View Post
    When they say thinking ahead, I think it's more like thinking ahead with the bigger picture rather than the small details like individual characters.
    This. I believe they planned the general plot of roughly how the event would go, what would Sargeras / Void enemies do, what should be the characteristic of the big enemies from the Void, how they would finally go down - that kind of thing. However, the details about specific characters and minor plots are to be filled in over time as they go.
    Je veux le sang, sang, sang, et sang
    Donnons le sang de guillotine
    Pour guerir la secheresse de la guillotine
    Je veux le sang, sang, sang, et sang.

I think it's more a case of this was the major plot line of wow, but they just took side detours and did other things, like the cataclysm seemed ag reat idea to do, as did MoP and WoD, but the main story from WC3 was TFt that led to Illidan and outland, and this would supposedly continue.. i htink that was the plan but it was just delayed to have other things done first.

Quote Originally Posted by ravenmoon View Post
    I think it's more a case of this was the major plot line of wow, but they just took side detours and did other things, like the cataclysm seemed ag reat idea to do, as did MoP and WoD, but the main story from WC3 was TFt that led to Illidan and outland, and this would supposedly continue.. i htink that was the plan but it was just delayed to have other things done first.
    I'm sure they outlined the big ideas, rough ideas for plots and characters etc, the general direction of the story, well in advance. But Blizzard has shown they're also flexible with their story. Such as Grom being replaced as the last boss of WoD to have a legion invasion instead. WHatever plans they had for Legion back then have probably shifted rather dramatically while still keeping to the same core idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Florena Emberlin View Post
    I'm sure they outlined the big ideas, rough ideas for plots and characters etc, the general direction of the story, well in advance. But Blizzard has shown they're also flexible with their story. Such as Grom being replaced as the last boss of WoD to have a legion invasion instead. WHatever plans they had for Legion back then have probably shifted rather dramatically while still keeping to the same core idea.
    Since WoW's launch, Blizzard writes the next expansion's big lines before the actual expac last patch.
    But sometimes they are listening too much for the players' hype or sometimes they are a little bit clumsy.

Vanilla : introducing Azeroth, Races, Factions conflicts, Fire Elemental Lord, Old Gods influences over creatures (Nagas, Quiraji), Titans legacy, Black Dragonlight. Last patch : Naxxramas. Should have been followed by Wrath of the Lich King but too much Illidan's hype and "we want blood elves".

Burning Crusade : introducing a destroyed Draenor (Outland), two new race (Blood Elves and Draeneis) that involved a retcon over the Lost ones, Archimonde,Kil'Jaeden and Sargeras story, introducing Naarus, Arrakoas, and some other races. Giving a small hint on Illidan's activities, but end with the SunWell story and Kil'Jaeden. This expansion has no direct relation with the next but contains interesting story, hints and fills some blanks for the future Legion expansion.

Wrath of the Lich King : Could have been the real first Expansion, but would be less written and less interesting. It develops Dragonflights, Titans' legacy, Old Gods influences, Arthas is a commercial argument but he totally drives the story. Introducing Garrosh in a new perspective and development for futures expansions. Ending Arthas' story. Last patch is about a new dragonflight threatening others, a link to the next expansion.

Cataclysm : From a player's perspective this is a reboot, new questlines from lvl1 to 60, introducing new races (Worgens and Goblins), bringing back factions conflicts on the low leveling, and elemental lords on the HL quests, ending Deathwing story. Garrosh has a really important sidestory development in lowlevel quests and in the last HL zone. This expansion introduces new Titans' legacy and Old Gods' influences

Mists of Pandaria : The Factions' conflict is foreground, on a new land were actions and feelings have a direct impact. Introducing new Titans' legacy, Old Gods' influences and Wrathion, a son of the fallen Deathwing, who's gathering heroes against a Legion's future invasion. This expansion develops a conflict into the Hord, leading to the final patch where Garrosh's gone too much hardcore on the Hord and a real danger. The last patch also introduces a sidestory where Wrathion and Kairosdormu, a bronze dragon, are looking for a time artifact. This expansion stored some paths to the next expansion, but too much offgame stories and not enough ingame immersion seemed too clumsy.

Warlords of Draenor : Blizzard wrote a prequel story to the expansion : Garrosh, who's got stoped in his crazy Hord takeover, has been jailed and judged but escaped with Wrathion and Kairosdormu's help. They wanted him to gather an army by traveling through portals to many alternative Draenors, but Garrosh had another plan in mind. He killed Kairos and told his alternate father, Grommash Hellscream to not accept Gul'dan's offer. He helped him to gather the orcs clans and form the Iron Hord. The expansion starts with Iron Hord's invasion on Azeroth at the Dark Portal. We enter Alternative Draenor, free the captives Shadows' council members led by Gul'dan and find allies on Draenor. We fight back the Iron Hord, we end Garrosh' story, Gul'dan takes over Grommash.
    Last patch : the Iron Hord's remains are empowered by Gul'dan's gift, the blood of Mannoroth. We fight the last orcs in the Tanaan jungle and the threatening Fel Hord in the last raid. Leads to the death of Archimonde and Gul'dan's exile into the Twisting Neither.

If Blizzard told you that you would fight a Fel Hord from the beginning, it would spoil the plot and the next expansion. They can't do that directly, but from WoD's beginning, there were a lot of hints : Gul'dan's freedom, the fact that whatever you tried, the end would not change (in this case, Gul'dan will go to the Tomb of Sargeras).

Quote Originally Posted by WolfRider View Post
    Since WoW's launch, Blizzard writes the next expansion's big lines before the actual expac last patch.
    But sometimes they are listening too much for the players' hype or sometimes they are a little bit clumsy.

Vanilla : introducing Azeroth, Races, Factions conflicts, Fire Elemental Lord, Old Gods influences over creatures (Nagas, Quiraji), Titans legacy, Black Dragonlight. Last patch : Naxxramas. Should have been followed by Wrath of the Lich King but too much Illidan's hype and "we want blood elves".

Burning Crusade : introducing a destroyed Draenor (Outland), two new race (Blood Elves and Draeneis) that involved a retcon over the Lost ones, Archimonde,Kil'Jaeden and Sargeras story, introducing Naarus, Arrakoas, and some other races. Giving a small hint on Illidan's activities, but end with the SunWell story and Kil'Jaeden. This expansion has no direct relation with the next but contains interesting story, hints and fills some blanks for the future Legion expansion.

Wrath of the Lich King : Could have been the real first Expansion, but would be less written and less interesting. It develops Dragonflights, Titans' legacy, Old Gods influences, Arthas is a commercial argument but he totally drives the story. Introducing Garrosh in a new perspective and development for futures expansions. Ending Arthas' story. Last patch is about a new dragonflight threatening others, a link to the next expansion.

Cataclysm : From a player's perspective this is a reboot, new questlines from lvl1 to 60, introducing new races (Worgens and Goblins), bringing back factions conflicts on the low leveling, and elemental lords on the HL quests, ending Deathwing story. Garrosh has a really important sidestory development in lowlevel quests and in the last HL zone. This expansion introduces new Titans' legacy and Old Gods' influences

Mists of Pandaria : The Factions' conflict is foreground, on a new land were actions and feelings have a direct impact. Introducing new Titans' legacy, Old Gods' influences and Wrathion, a son of the fallen Deathwing, who's gathering heroes against a Legion's future invasion. This expansion develops a conflict into the Hord, leading to the final patch where Garrosh's gone too much hardcore on the Hord and a real danger. The last patch also introduces a sidestory where Wrathion and Kairosdormu, a bronze dragon, are looking for a time artifact. This expansion stored some paths to the next expansion, but too much offgame stories and not enough ingame immersion seemed too clumsy.

Warlords of Draenor : Blizzard wrote a prequel story to the expansion : Garrosh, who's got stoped in his crazy Hord takeover, has been jailed and judged but escaped with Wrathion and Kairosdormu's help. They wanted him to gather an army by traveling through portals to many alternative Draenors, but Garrosh had another plan in mind. He killed Kairos and told his alternate father, Grommash Hellscream to not accept Gul'dan's offer. He helped him to gather the orcs clans and form the Iron Hord. The expansion starts with Iron Hord's invasion on Azeroth at the Dark Portal. We enter Alternative Draenor, free the captives Shadows' council members led by Gul'dan and find allies on Draenor. We fight back the Iron Hord, we end Garrosh' story, Gul'dan takes over Grommash.
    Last patch : the Iron Hord's remains are empowered by Gul'dan's gift, the blood of Mannoroth. We fight the last orcs in the Tanaan jungle and the threatening Fel Hord in the last raid. Leads to the death of Archimonde and Gul'dan's exile into the Twisting Neither.

If Blizzard told you that you would fight a Fel Hord from the beginning, it would spoil the plot and the next expansion. They can't do that directly, but from WoD's beginning, there were a lot of hints : Gul'dan's freedom, the fact that whatever you tried, the end would not change (in this case, Gul'dan will go to the Tomb of Sargeras).
    You think they're lying when they say they change their mind on things? Sure the big outlines are there but not everything is set in stone, nor should it be. They've discussed things like this before. For example they had discussed Garrosh using a magic horn to raise the Warlords rather than using time travel before. They've admitted that the shift towards the Legion in 6.2 had to do with orc fatigue. They have an outline but are flexible with the details. I don't deny they plan these expansions years in advance, but it's not set in stone like a prophecy they have to follow, they're free to make adjustments along the way and they do.

Quote Originally Posted by WolfRider View Post

What are you referring to in the bolded? I can't recall most of Cataclysm as I hardly played. What was cataclysms last patch? Deathwing and the fall of the aspects?

It's my headcanon that Chris Metzen wears a key around his neck.

This key opens a door on the top floor of Blizz HQ.

Beyond this door is a dark room.

Inside the dark room is a padlocked chest.

Only Metzen and Morhaime know the combination.

Inside the locked chest is a single piece of paper with coordinates written on it.

The coordinates lead to an abandoned building outside Pasadena, California.

Inside this abandoned building is a dark, winding set of stairs heading deep underground.

Deep underground is a titanium-reinforced, pressurized vault built to withstand a nuclear blast and/or the complete disintegration of the San Andreas tectonic plate.

Inside this vault is a large gold-inlaid book detailing in absolute precision the entire pre-determined list of all WoW expacs until potentially expansion 50. Alongside the book a row of USB drives containing the entirety of Vanilla WoW with each subsequent expansion alongside it. A server blade is among them, along with an urn containing the ashes of J.R.R. Tolkien, H.P. Lovecraft, Lord Dunsany, Robert E. Howard and E.R. Eddision.

Once, every BlizzCon, Metzen slips away into this most guarded of places after the opening ceremony, scoops a small handful of the ashes, cuts his finger and mixes his blood into them, then stores the mixture into a vial.

He gets on a plane and flies to England, where he slathers the mixture upon the gravestone of William Morris - father of high fantasy, on the night of a full moon.

Metzen closes his eyes, a grin overtakes his face, he turns his head upward and whispers "epic..."

I truly believe in this no h8 plz religion bashing not tolerated here.

I've noticed a series of hints about their future expansions, but usually they spaced it out so it didnt predict the next one. Vanilla did have Naxramas and Lich King talking. TBC had the black dragon flight out in shadowmoon. Wrath had the UC quest line with the legion "voice", the Obsidian Sanctum, plus the tension between the Garrosh and the alliance. Cataclysm had the satyr in Hyjal that hinted about some master returning. I haven't played very seriously after Wrath, so I'm not as tuned into the quest lines as I was previously.. but they did have the Klaxxi in MOP hinting about old gods returning, and Cata did have Azshara showing up.

It shows. The storytelling in Legion is extremely on-point and I have yet to see a single "lol lore" moment in this expansion so far. This is very clearly what we've been looking forward to since WotLK.

Cataclysm, Warlords of Draenor, and I'll even confess, my favorite expansion Mists of Pandaria all had a feeling of sidetracking. Sure there were big villains and arcing plots, but it always felt like B-tier stories (in WoD's case...more like D-tier) that were kind of just fluff. In Legion, everything in big, everything seems intentionally planned out to be big, and everything seems pre-planned. I had huge doubts about how much they could tackle while still keeping the "Legion Invasion" theme but damn do they pull it off.

There were a ton of hints towards this expansion's story scattered all over the place, and it's really cool to see it actually come together.

yup the wow story is amazing, but when that story is surrounded by 1 year of content but the expansion is 2 years long, the epic story is lost, and all you have is a bitter angry community, lets hope legion gives us story and content in equal amounts so we're not twiddling our thumbs for 12 months saying how we're all sick of this xpac and it's the worst ever.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not sure why this is surprising, expansions are planned well before they come out. Things can and will change over the years, but there are still plot points that are shown/hinted at in various past expansions.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz
    MMO champion for example used to be the center of WoW theorycrafting

Isn't this the same guy that got fired for making Warlocks massively op?

Quote Originally Posted by davesignal View Post
    Isn't this the same guy that got fired for making Warlocks massively op?
    is he? if he is, who's the asshole who made hunters and mages this xpac? he needs a good shanking in a dark alley.

So if Metzan is involved in Legion, are we going to see another orc centered expansion to make it four in a row?