Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Rogue vs Demon Hunter. Decision time!

Ok, so my 13/13M guild has given me two choices for mainswapping in Legion from Feral druid and I am incredibly torn between the two of them. I have had alpha access since the mythic raider wave of invites and beta access as well and I've played all three specs of rogue, and also havoc demon hunter and I can honestly say that I enjoy both classes in their current design for very different reasons.

My reason for posting is to get some input from other players. If you had the choice, which would you pick and why. Also, do you have beta access? If not, what about the class/spec excites you?

Thanks a lot, I look forward to reading what your observations are.

rogue is dead in legion. pretty easy decision

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kalaratic View Post
    rogue is dead in legion. pretty easy decision
    what makes rogue dead in legion? Sub isn't as complete/complex as it is now, but the design isn't awful. It's still fairly fun to play. Assassination is really simplistic, but is ok. I don't like outlaw, but that is just a preference.

Ultimately, it will boil down to DPS/Utility. Rogue offers a lot of utility, DH will offer a lot of damage. It's not an easy choice imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Thandorr View Post
    Ultimately, it will boil down to DPS/Utility. Rogue offers a lot of utility, DH will offer a lot of damage. It's not an easy choice imo.
    what utility does rogue bring that is more impactful than DH? we lost smoke bomb, shroud, and shiv. havoc DH has darkness which basically a shroud + bomb, vengeful retreat is a mini shiv, and u can stun just like a rogue can kidney. this is all available to u as havoc.

want to garrote as sub since u go in stealth so often? too bad. want to blind as mut? too bad. this is literally a no brainer. u are able to do single target and AoE without having to grind separate artifacts, u offer better utility than a rogue in a raid, and just overall u are playing a complete class that hasn't lost anything to another spec because they literally took out abilities from other specs for u to use

edit: i don't know what happened to darkness, i saw it on wowhead but i guess it didn't make it into the game. i still don't see how DH utility is any worse than rogue tho
    Last edited by kalaratic; 2016-05-18 at 05:33 AM.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Canada,we've got freedom too, except we don't pretend to be american when we travel.
    Ouch, killer points Kal... but as all things in the wow universe, you know eventually that pendulum will swing back the other way, eventually lol
    The real question is, how long until that happens? Beta? Launch? Hotfix? Patch? Next xpac?
    No one knows.
    yikes! Seems DH is gonna be everywhere rogues wanna be.
    "There are other sites on the internet designed for people to make friends or relationships. This isn't one" Darsithis Super Moderator
    Proof that the mmochamp community can be a bitter and lonely place. What a shame.

When playing my Demon Hunter, I find myself constantly missing stealth. When I play my Rogue, I always catch myself trying of double jump or glide

Deleted
    DH just got a nerf in the balls for pvp, they are now squishy as fuck. Saw one of Sensus' vids where he almost rekt a DH in the opener, because DH need to attack to heal, if they are cc-ed they can't heal, so anything with high burst and/or reliable cc can easily 1v1 a dh now.

Ok, so my 13/13M guild has given me two choices for mainswapping in Legion from Feral druid and I am incredibly torn between the two of them. I have had alpha access since the mythic raider wave of invites and beta access as well and I've played all three specs of rogue, and also havoc demon hunter and I can honestly say that I enjoy both classes in their current design for very different reasons.

My reason for posting is to get some input from other players. If you had the choice, which would you pick and why. Also, do you have beta access? If not, what about the class/spec excites you?

Thanks a lot, I look forward to reading what your observations are.
    My first thought is Rogue because you can switch specs easy if things change between patches. Chances are Blizz will take care of Demon Hunters throughout Legion, so probably they will be gtg through the whole expansion, but classes and specs do rise and fall between raid tiers. As Rogue you'd simply use the top spec as it evolved. Also with tri-spec, you'd have three options for each fight. You'd just have to carry some of the tomes (maybe level Inscription?).

Anything I say should be taken with a grain of salt as I'm not on alpha or beta. But I do read the forums and those are my thoughts.

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

10+ Year Old Account
    I think there are some really good points here, and as expected, really make me think about which class I want to be married to for this upcoming expansion. There were a ton of things that rogues lost, but they are still incredibly versatile, cloak, feint, evasion, their vial heal. But DH also has pretty good survivability for pve with blur and such.

DH Havoc will also be a much more complete spec in some ways since it is the only DPS spec for the class - I think since there is only the one dps spec, and only a tanking spec, it won't suffer from hybrid tax like some other classes do. This will also make artifacts simpler since from my testing it will take A LOT of artifact power to level that thing up. Leveling up a second with no REAL catch up mechanic will be frustrating. It also seems like blizz wants you to pick a primary spec and stick to it. That's tough to do as a rogue since you're at the mercy of whichever spec is best.

Tough decisions, but I think it's obvious that I'm leaning toward DH and I should at this point.

Tough decisions, but I think it's obvious that I'm leaning toward DH and I should at this point.
    i can be really harsh on legion rogue but by all means if u want to main it in legion it will not be a bad choice. just when compared to DH i think it is outclassed in every way but survivability, but that doesn't mean u wouldn't be taken for mythic progression. assuming tuning pans out properly, subtlety will provide one of the highest single target in the game and outlaw with blade flurry is just going to destroy any aoe fights. it's just up to u if u want to deal with sub being a shell of its former self and outlaw being an rng shitfest.

i think legion in general will be the expac where u really have to search for the class that provides the most fun gameplay to u, because so many spells have been taken away it will take time to find the class or spec that u really "click" with. the nice thing about liking havoc is that it's all u need to play forever, if u click with havoc u click with the class.

DH Havoc will also be a much more complete spec in some ways since it is the only DPS spec for the class - I think since there is only the one dps spec, and only a tanking spec, it won't suffer from hybrid tax like some other classes do. This will also make artifacts simpler since from my testing it will take A LOT of artifact power to level that thing up. Leveling up a second with no REAL catch up mechanic will be frustrating. It also seems like blizz wants you to pick a primary spec and stick to it. That's tough to do as a rogue since you're at the mercy of whichever spec is best.
    This has never stopped other single dps spec hybrids being taxed - not even new specs (see windwalker at times in mop)

Also let's not even pretend darkness is comparable to smokebomb guys - it's a damage reducing raid cd. It CANNOT reliably be used to avoid single applications.

DH's are built for aoe, so it's near guaranteed rogue will be superior single target (as they tend to be one of the highest between their specs anyway)

Edit: Also if you dislike outlaws RNG you can spec out of it, that option is there.

Edit2: DH's currently have a generally disappointing artifact compared to other classes. This means they're a little less penalized if say it's your alt (I'm not sure on the rogue artifacts specifically) than many other specs.
    Last edited by Raiju; 2016-05-18 at 07:58 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

DH can be a very risky choice as it will probably go through rollercoaster of tuning and changes after launch just like dks and monks did

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kalaratic View Post
    what utility does rogue bring that is more impactful than DH? we lost smoke bomb, shroud, and shiv. havoc DH has darkness which basically a shroud + bomb, vengeful retreat is a mini shiv, and u can stun just like a rogue can kidney. this is all available to u as havoc.

want to garrote as sub since u go in stealth so often? too bad. want to blind as mut? too bad. this is literally a no brainer. u are able to do single target and AoE without having to grind separate artifacts, u offer better utility than a rogue in a raid, and just overall u are playing a complete class that hasn't lost anything to another spec because they literally took out abilities from other specs for u to use

edit: i don't know what happened to darkness, i saw it on wowhead but i guess it didn't make it into the game. i still don't see how DH utility is any worse than rogue tho
    This. As Havoc you are not forced to grind for two artifacts unless you also want to tank that is. Besides the fact that they are pretty much the new shiny feature of Legion so they will probably perform quite well.

But, if you haven't played rogue before Legion then I think you can still like the sub spec. Its just hard to go sub after being used to the pre legion sub. Though for some reason I have this with quite a lot of classes atm, maybe I'm just paranoid about all the changes and will get used to it quite quickly.
    Last edited by mmocc29434e79e; 2016-05-18 at 08:32 AM.

When in doubt, always go rogue. "Tuning" comes and goes, but stealth is forever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Rogues will probably be the better choice for PVE raiding if you want to DPS. Regardless of anything else, they're still very survivable (waaaay more than DH, which are really squishy aside from their mobility). With 3 specs to choose from, there's a decent chance at least one of those will be competitive.
    They're more likely to become a reliable DPS raid spot.

DH only gets one DPS spec so you're entirely gambling on how good that spec will end up being. It's mobile, but they're pretty squishy in Havoc form. However DH does give you the option to take a shot at tanking, and the advantage of being fresh and new for you, with fancy visuals and demon form.

Personally if I wanted to DPS only, I'd go rogue. I only favour DH because I like to tank and wanna play a tank rogue :P

Absolutely, don't play rogue ! Rogue is awful !

(we'll appreciate to be the only yellow bar on our top5 recount)

If I were you, I'd stick with rogue. Demon huntards are boring as fuzz, limited to dobbies, and have only one dd spec, making them very unversatile in careful tuning to different types of encounters - and, there is a huge possibility of DH being in a vicious cycle of nerfed-buffed-nerfed-buffed throughout all expansion.
    No more time wasted in WoW.. still reading this awesome forum, though

Sorry for OT, but why do you shy away from Feral for Legion?

Quote Originally Posted by guerron View Post
    Sorry for OT, but why do you shy away from Feral for Legion?
    His guild is forcing him, lol

Dont care how good DH is, will never replace my rogue.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day