Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Bloodsail Admiral Transmigration's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Humbugged View Post
    You don't get to use fag as a derogatory insult now or ever. Especially when you've got some Anime waifu as your avatar.
    Should he replace it with a Harley? I thought the definition was changed.

Blizzard should really give this some serious thought. Having exponential growth like this just isn't working. Sadly though in order to fix it they would have to go back and change a lot of gear and stat gains from levels and as a consequence retune every piece of content to the new model.

I would love it if we got a flat 1000 DPS increase every 10 iLvls on average regardless of character level instead of what we have now which would put us at about 80k DPS at the start of Legion but I think it's just too much work to be worth it. It's easier to just keep letting the numbers run amok.

Quote Originally Posted by Sargnagel View Post
    Tell me the last game you play through on multiple difficulties? Most singleplayer games are not done for a second playthrough.
    And an RPG only is worth a second play through if the story changes drastically with different decisions, which most don't.
    You must be a newer generation of gamers then.

Many games had its most difficult setting locked behind a full playthrough on something like "hard", meaning at least two playthroughs.

Even if the most difficult setting is available on the first playthrough, it's most likely too hard for someone new to the game/franchise/genre so they would be better off playing a lesser difficulty to get used to the game.

Deleted
    Well these numbers barely are enough for the next expansions. Currently we are only class-leader/champions. I expect next expansion we will become faction leader and after that expansion we should become gods. They will have to add some zeros till then.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by spikeh View Post

Many games had its most difficult setting locked behind a full playthrough on something like "hard", meaning at least two playthroughs.

Even if the most difficult setting is available on the first playthrough, it's most likely too hard for someone new to the game/franchise/genre so they would be better off playing a lesser difficulty to get used to the game.
    We all know some games did this, but he's just saying almost noone did them ....
    I either play games on normal or hard ... (depends on the mood) but i don't think i've ever EVER played a game twice

Edit:
    Hold on, hold on,

Chrono Trigger - New game+
    But it wasn't really starting over .. it was just being bad ass and getting new stuff you missed out on in the first play through
    Warrior, getting my face smashed in because I love it

"The Perfect Raid Design Drawn by me .

Quote Originally Posted by ragemv View Post
    yes it solved. but only in a mechnical way. but now we are still going to reach milion of damge per big hits.
    Which isn't the issue it was meant to solve in the first place, and debatable as to whether it is an actual issue that needs to be solved at all. So it is irrelevant to the squish.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by masterhorus8 View Post
    That's 9 quintillion 223 quadrillion 372 trillion 36 billion 854 million 775 thousand 807.
    In short scale, yes. Long scale, it is in fact 9 trillion. Often leads to confusion when journalists fail to account for the difference between long scale and short scale countries.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by spikeh View Post

If the hard is not different from normal just harder, I wouldn't bother... why do it all over again on a harder difficulty where I know the answers to puzzels and co?
    There is this thing called tutorial and the starting zones are usually pretty easy regardless of difficulty. And if I need to start over just for higher difficulty the game lost me as a player.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Count Zero View Post
    It was a public statement, it was posted on front page here. Common knowledge information (depending on audience) does not require a source.
    Your absolute ridiculous claim holds no ground in reality whatsoever though, The way HP was counted in MOP meant that it was IMPOSSIBLE
    let me repeat.. IMPOSSIBLE for them to go over 2 147 483 648, or 2.1 billion. because that its the cap of the 32 bit engine. Your feeble attempt at misleading people is laughable.

There was no possible way, around that limit, because of how HP was calculated back then, (other than forcing people to switch to the 64 bit engine, which would mean terminating a huge part of the player base).

It is very much, not common knowledge. You have no idea what you're talking about. a stat squish was needed, desperately. It's the reason why Garrosh had to regain his health after being dpsed down so many times on mythic. The system. just could not handle that big of a number.

Quote Originally Posted by Rougle View Post
    Your absolute ridiculous claim holds no ground in reality whatsoever though, The way HP was counted in MOP meant that it was IMPOSSIBLE
    let me repeat.. IMPOSSIBLE for them to go over 2 147 483 648, or 2.1 billion. because that its the cap of the 32 bit engine. Your feeble attempt at misleading people is laughable.

There was no possible way, around that limit, because of how HP was calculated back then, (other than forcing people to switch to the 64 bit engine, which would mean terminating a huge part of the player base).

It is very much, not common knowledge. You have no idea what you're talking about. a stat squish was needed, desperately. It's the reason why Garrosh had to regain his health after being dpsed down so many times on mythic. The system. just could not handle that big of a number.
    The only claim I'm making is that Blizz said it wasn't necessary. I can't find the link right now, but it was posted on the front page of MMO-C.
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

Quote Originally Posted by Vidget View Post
    I would love it if we got a flat 1000 DPS increase every 10 iLvls on average regardless of character level instead of what we have now which would put us at about 80k DPS at the start of Legion but I think it's just too much work to be worth it. It's easier to just keep letting the numbers run amok.
    Wasn't this discussed already several times? Linear growth doesn't work. You would get a 100% dps growth at the start from 1000 DPS to 2000 DPS but later you would get a much smaller growth from 79k DPS to 80k DPS and most people wouldn't bother with upgrading their gear and just steamroll the content. Blizzard knows this and want an upgrade to be something around a 10%-15% increase to feel appropriate.

That's not true. You don't need a 64 bit engine to use a 64 bit integer.

The only claim I'm making is that Blizz said it wasn't necessary. I can't find the link right now, but it was posted on the front page of MMO-C.
    I've thought they said they are afraid of changing their HP variable type in their database and that's why they are going the squish route. It wasn't because the numbers looked bad. It seems in Diablo 3 they are ok doing dmg numbers above a billion.
    Last edited by merli; 2016-05-19 at 04:18 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thread is now about amount of difficulties and the whole "EARNING YOUR WAY"

GG MMO-Champion.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nupomaniac View Post
    The amount of time it took to be cleared in TBC isnt the issue. The issue is that you cant make those again. Either you are alienating a lof of people because you make it to hard or you are alienating a lot of people because its to easy. If you thae the middle ground and make 3-4 bosses for each difficulty you are alienating everyone because not enough content
    You're not wrong but the decline in sub numbers certainly points towards players preferring the way it was in TBC. You're (or someone else) going to say I'm talking BS because all games decline in popularity over time but the whole recent Nostralis server debuckle counters this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SoBBeN1 View Post
    Been reading a lot on mmo lately and this seems to be coming up a lot, I agree with u too I hate wasting my time and grinding gear for one patch sucks, I don't mind one expansion but one patch I hate.
    I hate one patch too.

The reason they changed the system to one patch was back in TBC it was hard to move past 10 man kara to 25 size for avg player. (too big sizes, need more then 1 Raid leader, multiple groups running kara to get to 25 etc)

that problem don't exist anymore, so this one patch system is garbage.
    Content drought is a combination of catchup mechanics and no new content.

Quote Originally Posted by merli View Post
    Wasn't this discussed already several times? Linear growth doesn't work. You would get a 100% dps growth at the start from 1000 DPS to 2000 DPS but later you would get a much smaller growth from 79k DPS to 80k DPS and most people wouldn't bother with upgrading their gear and just steamroll the content. Blizzard knows this and want an upgrade to be something around a 10%-15% increase to feel appropriate.
    It's not though. Since dungeon blues in WOD DPS has increased about 600%. That's a lot for only 2 tiers of raiding. If it had been the ~32% they want it to be that would've been fine I think.

Not sure why people are so bothered, to be frank...
    But I'm sure there will be another stat squish, perhaps next expansion, to bring the numbers down. I couldn't care less if we hit for 1000 or 1 million.

There was a way. In fact, they just implemented that way for Legion. It's just that at the time, the squish was the quicker solution while they worked in the background on the long-term one(remember that WoD and Legion were developed concurrently).

Try and read up on the difference between a 32bit engine and a 32bit data type.

Quote Originally Posted by merli View Post
    I've thought they said they are afraid of changing their HP variable type in their database and that's why they are going the squish route. It wasn't because the numbers looked bad. It seems in Diablo 3 they are ok doing dmg numbers above a billion.
    They initially made it sound like a technical issue, which is why I was so surprised when afterward they said it was an aesthetic issue. However, they were pretty vague really and what I'm thinking they meant is that they didn't *have* to do the squish, meaning they had other options at the time (mega damage route, boss health regeneration, etc, etc) and probably by now they actually have done the groundwork necessary for them for it to just literally not be a technical issue at all.

I actually have spent time trying to find that quote but I'm at work and it's hard to string together more than a couple consecutive free minutes.
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

Quote Originally Posted by Servasus View Post
    The real irony being that you think redditors are not the same.
    The people on this site are far worse than anyone on reddit. Also not all subreddits are the same meaning there is a wide variety of people whereas here all the assholes, trolls and haters spam their nonsense all over these fucking forums whether it involves wow or not.

Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    The people on this site are far worse than anyone on reddit. Also not all subreddits are the same meaning there is a wide variety of people whereas here all the assholes, trolls and haters spam their nonsense all over these fucking forums whether it involves wow or not.
    It's really not worth responding to someone who thinks that a massive forum with hundreds of subcultures is all "one kind of person that I hate."
    Soothing Mist:"Healing them for a minor amount every 0.5 sec, until you take any other action."
    Jade Serpent Statue: "The statue will also begin casting Soothing Mist on your target. healing for 50% as much as yours. "
    [What's half of minor?]
    "Statue casts Soothing Mist at a nearby ally for toddler healing."

Deleted
    In your previous post you stated it as fact. Make up your mind.

or in your words, common knowledge, otherwise known as a basic fact.