Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    "warning" label?!
    Yes. What do you call a label that says "product contains peanuts"?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lobosan View Post
    GMOs have been around for two decades. Good thing science doesn't operate based on your unfounded feelings.
    Two decades is nothing. We are talking potential changes to ecosystem balance.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Matchles View Post
    Informative. To some a warning to others nothing more than words.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    Nobody's tricking anyone lol. Stop living in fear.

Labeling laws being pushed through by customers just shows that there's an inordinate amount of stupid people buying shit lately.
    What would you call intentionally backholding information from customers after they asked for it because you assume would stop them from buying the product you sell?
    I call that fraud.

If I made synthetic apples and put them in the fruit stand next to other apples, would it be ok not to put an extra lable on them knowing the customer cannot distinguish them from other apples?

- - - Updated - - -

What do you call a label that says "bread", or made with "wheat"?
    Last edited by Noradin; 2016-05-19 at 09:05 PM.

Nobody's tricking anyone so you wouldn't have issues adding (gmo) next to the names in the list of ingredients? I mean would that deter you from buying that product?
    It wouldn't deter me at all. Because I'm not some science-fearing luddite.

Forcing labeling on harmless products is just an unfair burden on businesses of all kinds, not just big companies either. Costing businesses and individuals for no reason other than consumer fear driven by misinformation.

Quote Originally Posted by Noradin View Post
    If I made synthetic apples and put them in the fruit stand next to other apples, would it be ok not to put an extra lable on them knowing the customer cannot distinguish them from other apples?
    Oh god, you should have just left this out of your edit. Nobody is making synthetic goddamn anything.
    Last edited by Tradewind; 2016-05-19 at 09:09 PM.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

What would you call intentionally backholding information from customers after they asked for it that you assume would stop them from buying the product you sell?
    I call that fraud.

Just stop, the only reason you want products labeled GMO is you want to protect your agricultural industry in Europe. That's the only reason.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Informative. To some a warning to others nothing more than words.
    Kind of a silly thing to take a semantic stand on. I think the warnings on hair driers are nothing more than words because I'm not an idiot that would use it in a bath. Does that mean it isn't a warning label?

What would you call intentionally backholding information from customers after they asked for it because you assume would stop them from buying the product you sell?
    I call that fraud.
    Citation needed. Who is backholding information?

Not wanting to label products as "Containing GMOs" is not backholding information. It's fighting a ridiculous unscientific scheme.

Funny that you just ignore my actual response to you and go off on this tangent.

Is it legally mandated that bread be sold in a package containing the word bread across the front? No... no it isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Just stop, the only reason you want products labeled GMO is you want to protect your agricultural industry in Europe. That's the only reason.
    Yes, I want to protect the agricultural industry in Europe.
    That is however not connected to the labeling of GMO food.
    The labeling is a seperate issue entirely.

Why would I assume that keeping people from buying GMO would protect the agriculture of Europe?
    Other imports would be just as potentially damaging. GMO or no GMO would not make a difference.

In fact I am in favour of eventually having some GMO in Europe, if it turns out those specific products are both save and actually needed.
    I would still want to have lables on them, because that creates awareness and an incentive to educate people and for people to look it up.
    Sneaking things in and refusing to give information asked for by customers only fosters suspicion. And it always comes back to bite us.

Just look at vaccines. The companies first made mistakes, then they tried to cover up and hide them, subsequently people got suspicious about anything those companies told them. Lacking education they came up with their own theories, and see where that led us? People dying from illesses that should have stayed extinct.

Thus, please keep from mixing up threads to try and discredit people by implying things they have never said.

- - - Updated - - -

Funny that you just ignore my actual response to you and go off on this tangent.

Is it legally mandated that bread be sold in a package containing the word bread across the front? No... no it isn't.
    Which one, the one where you called it a "warning lable" again and went on with things we have discussed pages ago in this thread.
    Look it up there.

If people ask for it it could be made a rule.
    And yes for some foods there are such rules that make the labeling mandantory.

You are all over the fucking map lol.

Still waiting for you to point out why your side of the argument should have the authority to decide what people in a democracy can ask for as rules for labeling mechandise int heir own country.

- - - Updated - - -

You are all over the fucking map lol.
    Talking to yourself?

Still waiting for you to point out why your side of the argument should have the authority to decide what people in a democracy can ask for as rules for labeling mechandise int heir own country.
    Didn't we establish that in the other thread already? Apparently only what the USA wants matters. Even in Europe. Without them having any authority. Because they obviously are the prime overlords of the world and have the perfect society. Really, us third world countries in Europe should be thankful we get their attention at all. By all rights, we definitely should be left in the gutter where we belong, low life underachieving scum that we are.

Isn't that so, Yanks? :P
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Who said anything about authority? I surely didn't. If you're going to chide me for making you wait for me to point something out I never said or even intimated towards this isn't going to get very far at all.

My "point" is that the labeling is asinine, useless and does nothing but propagate unscientific fear mongering. If I had any point against the "people in a democracy" it would be to go educate themselves and not rely on special interests and facebook for their "news."

Talking to yourself?
    You are not very good at this...

Who said anything about authority? I surely didn't. If you're going to chide me for making you wait for me to point something out I never said or even intimated towards this isn't going to get very far at all.

My "point" is that the labeling is asinine, useless and does nothing but propagate unscientific fear mongering. If I had any point against the "people in a democracy" it would be to go educate themselves and not rely on special interests and facebook for their "news."
    It is irrelevant whether it is asinine, if enough people want it and it is not against any constitutional rights and the like then they can ask for it.

I think it is a good idea to label them, because it raises awareness how prevalent those techniques are and it brings an incentive to educate people about it.
    Trying to hide such things after they came to the attention of the people and they started to ask for information about it only ever leads to them making up worse "facts" about it.

I have given this explanation about my stance that it should be labeled before.
    I have also always pointed out that I do not believe those products who get to be sold in the EU (labeled GMO or not and regardless if they make use of it) to be harmful to the consumer. If they were there would be no need for a label, they would simply be banned for being unsave.
    You do not need to make rules about labeling banned merchandise. That would be asisine.

It is irrelevant whether it is asinine, if enough people want it and it is not against any constitutional rights and the like then they can ask for it.

I think it is a good idea to label them, because it raises awareness how prevalent those techniques are and it brings an incentive to educate people about it.
    Trying to hide such things after they came to the attention of the people and they started to ask for information about it only ever leads to them making up worse "facts" about it.

I have given this explanation about my stance that it should be labeled before.
    I have also always pointed out that I do not believe those products who get to be sold in the EU (labeled GMO or not and regardless if they make use of it) to be harmful to the consumer. If they were there would be no need for a label, they would simply be banned for being unsave.
    You do not need to make rules about labeling banned merchandise. That would be asisine.
    If uneducated fearful luddites want it, yeah it is their democratic right. It's also their democratic duty to educate themselves prior to lobbying and voting for sweeping laws that do nothing but perpetuate a problem born from ignorance. Democracy isn't just about whining to get what you want and throwing facts to the wayside.

What is you point in repeating these well known facts to me, who brought them up?
    You didn't. And it shows the inconsistency of your stated beliefs; if you think that GMO is a problem then the other rapid techniques are equally problematic - but I haven't heard people say: oh, a new exotic fruit - better wait a decade before we eat it just to be safe.
    In reality un-modified food isn't unproblematic either, such as half a billion relying on food with dangerous levels of cyanide (unless properly processed).

The actual reason is that some in EU want to stop GMO-foods to protect their agricultural jobs; and the benefit of GMO-food for the average person in EU low enough that people don't bother to counter that.

Quote Originally Posted by Anastacy View Post
    Well, yeah...if you go out of your way to make something lethal, it will be lethal. Is anyone suggesting otherwise?
    Actually yes, big business has never been known to value ethics over profit, and with Monsanto and co doing its damnist to keep "packaged GMO modified" off packages along with other blocking of simple disclose information, I do find that rather concerning.

Are GMO's inheritingly bad for your? I don't think they are, but I also don't put it past these companies to cut every corner they can in the name of profit and damn the rest as long as they don't get caught.

Which one, the one where you called it a "warning lable" again and went on with things we have discussed pages ago in this thread.
    Look it up there.

If people ask for it it could be made a rule.
    And yes for some foods there are such rules that make the labeling mandantory.
    I like that there is some sort of requirement to call out bullshit. Why should I have to read 20 pages when you are making the same ridiculous argument right now?

No one is arguing that it couldn't be made "a rule." So it is pointless to make that statement. The argument is over whether it SHOULD be law. You could pass a law mandating all food carry the label, "for oral consumption only, do not shove it up your ass." It would just be a pretty stupid law to have in place. And nothing you mentioned is a mandatory label. Nor is there a mandatory label for any product or ingredient that doesn't potentially pose a health risk.
    Last edited by Matchles; 2016-05-19 at 09:55 PM.

Every single cultivar of every piece of fruit known to man has been genetically modified. Shit, the bananas we use today are a result of the banana apocalypse, where a fungus wiped out most of the old Big Mike bananas, and the world started using a smaller, less tasty, but fungus-immune banana called the Cavendish.

Apples, too, are pretty much all genetically modified based on market demand: Nobody confuses a Granny Smith with a Fuji, or a Red Delicious. Citrus fruits, too, have been genetically modified and bred for specific varieties, be it Valencia or Navel or Blood oranges. But I suspect fruit isn't even on your list when you think of things which need to be labelled as GMO.

- - - Updated - - -

Talking to yourself?
    You can ask for whatever you want... but you STILL haven't answered my question. Why do you want labels?