Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Those who are unhappy with the current state of the game will always make vocal arguments against it. Whether this becomes widespread enough to become a broad consensus depends entirely on the quality of the expansion. Cataclysm and WoD got a large amount of criticism while they were current, because they are generally seen as weaker than the other expansions. It was rare you saw much nostalgic praise for Cataclysm prior to WoD arriving and supplanting it as the overall least favourite entry in the series.

TBC, Wrath, and Pandaria all had plenty of criticism levelled at them for being different from what came before, just as Legion will too. Every game will have its detractors. What's more useful to observe is whether that criticism holds much objective merit or not. There's a difference between the natural transitory unrest we got with TBC, Wrath, and Pandaria, and the widespread, strongly argued condemnation that WoD (and to a lesser extent Cataclysm) received.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazim View Post
    Funny how during MoP everyone hated the shit out of it, now the general consensus is it was one of the better expansions (except for 14 months SOO).

I imagine during the Legion content drought (inevitable) people will start posting "WoD was actually pretty good, fuck Legion" type posts.

Either that or it will go down with Cata. Time will tell!
    MOP was the shit and WOD is way better than MoP.
    Leveling MOP 2/5 WOD 4/5
    Dungeons MOP 1/5 WOD 3/5
    Raids MOP 4/5 WOD 4/5

Deleted
    It would seem pretty darn hard to screw up an expansion worse than WoD. But if anyone can deliver, it is J Allen Brack.

He truly is the man most qualified for the job of identifying the perfect mix of garrison missions, daily quests and grinds, with the right time gating to really get us substantially closer to accepting that basic buddhist concept; life is suffering. And if he pulls it off he is also the perfect man to deliver the message that we think that we hate his content, but we don't.

But unless Allen really manages to get the entire team to pull in the same direction straight into the Abyss I actually think that the expansion that dropped around two thirds of subscribers will be remembered for the utter disaster that it was.

WoD was horrible enough to alienate some of the most dyed in the wool blizzard fanboys I've met in my life and then they pissed these guys of even further by closing Nost on them. WoD and the timing of the Nost closing was the perfect WoW rehab for these guys. I honestly think they are 100% cured. Perhaps the 12 step organsations should make a case study, see if they can learn a trick or two.
    Last edited by mmoce205a80286; 2016-05-22 at 06:02 PM.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Zia View Post
    MOP was the shit and WOD is way better than MoP.
    Leveling MOP 2/5 WOD 4/5
    Dungeons MOP 1/5 WOD 3/5
    Raids MOP 4/5 WOD 4/5
    When something is "the shit", that means it's awesome btw.
    Also, your grades are based on nothing so....

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Said it before, and I'll say it again. The best this game ever has been, and will be was at the very end of WOTLK - perfect balance of things to do, ICC raid with difficulties and progression has something for EVERYONE to do, and PvP in that final season of wrath was the most balanced its ever been.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodwinger View Post
    Cataclysm was all aboard great expac until DS, but people are mostly dumb jerks and only remember DS.
    DS wasn't even that bad. People just say it's bad to sound cool.

Wod was great during the first month

Funny how during MoP everyone hated the shit out of it, now the general consensus is it was one of the better expansions (except for 14 months SOO).

I imagine during the Legion content drought (inevitable) people will start posting "WoD was actually pretty good, fuck Legion" type posts.

It will be like Cata. Except for Cata was bad and lazy only in DS patch, before DS everything was fine. WoD is just ultimately bad, from its infamous seven days of lag/unplayable start - while devs giving interviews like the line in my sig while people storm forums trying to play - continuing to infamous 6.1 patch of S.E.L.F.I.E camera - ending with 13 months of last raid tier no content hibernation, biggest in the history of WoW.

Also: mark my words, when prepatch hits live servers, you'll see the amounts of whining unseen before, because things Blizzard did to classes are just unforgivable. Welcome to the age of "less is more" - which is true to everything WoW related, except for the game costs.
    No more time wasted in WoW.. still reading this awesome forum, though

Quote Originally Posted by purebalance View Post
    DS wasn't even that bad. People just say it's bad to sound cool.
    DS has bosses with the perfect amount of mechanics.. I'm so sick of every boss in raids now having a bible full of mechanics. Seriously, Hagara, and warmaster blackhorn are my two favourite fights of all time, especially on heroic because you didnt need fucking adons to do them. Only shitty thing about DS was the way it looked.

Deleted
    I've been saying it since day 1 anyway :P WoD is not as bad as people make it out to be, it's a lot better than Cataclysm ever was.

Legion faces the same problem as WoD, even though they have clearly raised the bar this time they will still have the haters and the burnt out players to deal with.

7+ Year Old Account
    im definitely not going to be one of them.

Formerly known as Arafal

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    It was "the shit" but you gave it both a 2/5 and a 1/5? Am I missing sarcasm?

People tend to dislike it more because of how long it lasted, imo. The raid itself was fine. Not the best but certainly not the worst.
    Could've been a lot worse raid.. Like Trial of the Champions. ;p Most peoples issue was how long it lasted, which both SoO and now Hellfire put to shame the amount of time we had to wait between content.

There won't be posts missing WoD apart from Jaylock's and people of his kind.
    Last edited by Einsz; 2016-05-22 at 06:22 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Detan View Post
    DS has bosses with the perfect amount of mechanics.. I'm so sick of every boss in raids now having a bible full of mechanics. Seriously, Hagara, and warmaster blackhorn are my two favourite fights of all time, especially on heroic because you didnt need fucking adons to do them. Only shitty thing about DS was the way it looked.
    while I disagree with hagara and blackthorn being favorite bosses of all time for me, they are definetely VERY well down and lots of fun on heroic (and the 2 best fights of the raid). I always say that dragonsoul had great bosses and was very fun to raid, but the design, looks and trash is maybe the worst of all raids I've played.

WoD is also fine for me as I sad countless times, but people really complain for the sake of complaining. Its so sad that I visit forums less every week. I dont get the mentality of many people, and this bunch of negativity stored up in their minds is just blocking them from enjoying a good game. Every single expansion was good in my eys. Some were better, some were worse, but none was really bad. I've raided every single content since kara and liked it, so I stayed. I wish people who dont like the game would just quit and dont try to get their negativity onto others.

Community wise, these are so sad times for wow. People basically want others to feel bad and to not have fun. Its a bigger scale problem than wow. anyway, Im drifting away.

Im convinced people will admit that wod wasnt that bad when legion hits because they can complain about something new then. Right now the kids wouldnt be cool if they admit they actually like playing 8 hours of wod a day.

Deleted
    OKay, time for contructive posting:

I joined wow during The Burning Crusade and as a n00b I didn't care about dungeon tiers and raid content and all that.
    As far as I know:

WotLK was the high point of wow in terms of content, story, subscribtion numbers, everything. It wasn't hated untill after Arthas died and the story started to contradict itself (Scourge without LK wouldn't act like the Forsaken, Arthas who stabbed his torn out heart still had humanity, Varian wasn't an angry cunt).

Cataclysm gave all sorts of neat stuff we wished for (Flying in Azeroth, Opening of the Greymane Wall, Goblins...etc), and archeology is loads of fun. However the patch content was terrible. Out of the launch raids there were 3 we didn't get. One came in the second patch, one ended up being a 5 man dungeon in the last patch, and one still didn't arrive. We also didn't get like Path of the Titans or Dance studio. No big deal, but it was promised. Plus it was during cataclysm that Thrall wen't into full Super Saiyan Jesus mode. And Dethwing turned into a huge pile of tentacles. So yes, it was hated for a lot of valid reasons.

Mists of Pandaria was filled with content, both at launch and in later patches, and while I feared that Pandaria would be a huge continent of Uldum, it ended up being very well written, all things considered. And Brewmaster monks are awesome. And we had real content for causals and raiders alike. It was hated by some for being hurr durr pandaaaaaa. And cause the wait between SoO and WoD was very very long.

WoD Had niceish leveling, Arakkoa are awesome, Maraad was voiced by Crispin Freeman, and Garrisons were a nice diversion from killing mobs.......but it didn't give enough substantial content after hitting the level cap, everything that wasn't raiding took 5 minutes a day, Maraad died, Thrall didn't, we spent the whole time on the orc homeworld when people were starving for something that didn't involve orcs, Everyone forgot about the war crimes the Iron Horde commited, and more stuff was cut than from Kotor II. Also, neither pvp nor professions worked. Oh and LFR raids were about as difficult as early quests in Durotar. I believe that is all.

Legion has some criticism for all the ability pruning, for killing off fistweaving aaaand for turning Illidan into a lighty figure of light. So still better than WoD or Cataclysm.

Deleted
    My biggest problem with DS was that it was boring to progress through. Then it obviously didn't help that it compares really, really bad to the other end of expansion raids at the time of Naxx 40, Sunwell and ICC. It really put the 'meh' in mediocrity. And we had that for a year. Its a bit like as if they had switched HFC and Highmaul and removed the Cho'gall phase. (Retuned for relative ilvl ofc.)

A fairly short, easy and underwhelming instance as the sole relevant content for a year. Yeah, we are probably slightly biased against it on average. Trying to compensate I guess that Trial of Guild Patience gets the price.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do people have nostalgia for Cata? (game-wise, not people-wise)

Because I don't.

*EDIT* As much as I liked the aesthetics of Vash'jir, I don't have nostalgia for it. I have nostalgia for what it SHOULD'VE been.
    Last edited by ImpTaimer; 2016-05-22 at 06:39 PM.
    There are no bathrooms, only Zuul.

Deleted

Everyone eh?

My feelings during each expansion:

Vanilla = loved it
    TBC = wasn't that great to me at all, didnt like the setting
    Wotlk = I loved it so much, from art to lore it was a great experience
    Cata = hmmm, it was okish for me as a non raider at the time but certainly worse than Wotlk
    MoP = such a great and well done expansion once the daily debacle was fixed, after that it was just magical
    WoD = No content and boring AF, absolute low point of WoW

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ImpTaimer View Post
    Do people have nostalgia for Cata? (game-wise, not people-wise)

Because I don't.
    I do actually, it was most certainly worse than Wotlk but a whole lot better than WoD.

The Suramar questing idea looks absolutely awful. Dunno if its quite as bad as garrisons but it makes me cringe that they thought it was a good idea.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

It is already happening, in fact it never stopped completely.
    Some are praising the raiding in particular.
    Garrisons were a good idea really badly executed.
    Doesn't make them a bad idea outright.
    Just blizzard made a point about some feedback and then proceeded to ignore it because the community then complained.
    The community said they spent too much time in it, blizzard wanted to increase missions duration with shipyards.
    Players complained they were too long.

Community is stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.