Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Healing spec without dps crap?

Title says it all. Is there any healing spec left where you dont have to dps?

It's really only Disc that has to do damage to heal and even they can opt out of that and just heal (not sure how good that talent is now though).
    You won't have much time over to actually do damage in group content but you do have to level as healer or you might lag behind when it comes to artifact traits unlocked and all that.

If you're not aming at raiding mythic right from the get go though, leveling as a DPS and then start working on your healing artifact at max level is very possible however.

the only time you have to (or rather should) dps as heal is as disc priest or if your raid needs those some dps more than your heal. Which is not that often and only in high difficulty raiding, meaning undergeared heroic raids or mythic.
    And about the artifact: As long as blizz didn't change that, most of your artifact power during leveling comes in the form of token. So you can level as DPS and not use those token on the DPS weapon but save them for the healer artifact. Should be around 70-90% of the Artifact power from leveling.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    It's really only Disc that has to do damage to heal and even they can opt out of that and just heal (not sure how good that talent is now though).
    You won't have much time over to actually do damage in group content but you do have to level as healer or you might lag behind when it comes to artifact traits unlocked and all that.

If you're not aming at raiding mythic right from the get go though, leveling as a DPS and then start working on your healing artifact at max level is very possible however.
    not at all, you can simply choose a dps artifact at lvl 100, and save up your artifact power (aside from very few from quest rewards) for your healing artifact when you get it, which can be done at lvl 102
    Last edited by dracco4heads; 2016-05-22 at 06:02 PM. Reason: fixed grammar errors
    IGN Joe FC: 1908 - 0405 - 5213

Quote Originally Posted by dracco4heads View Post
    not at all, you can simply choose a dps artifact at lvl 100, and save up your artifact power (aside from very few from quest rewards) for your healing artifact when you get it, which can be done at lvl 102
    Sure you can but not leveling your weapon makes killing stuff slow as heck.
    You will want to have a DPS artifact leveled for world quests and stuff like that at max level anyway so unless you're planing on running in a group all the time, I'd say level as a DPS and level up your artifact weapon.

Oh and you can also increase the rate at wich you level your artifact so the fist one will take a while but the rest will be much faster.

Well if you are maximizing everything.... then no there isn't any healer that does zero damage but there are a lot that don't do much

Quote Originally Posted by primalmatter View Post
    Well if you are maximizing everything.... then no there isn't any healer that does zero damage but there are a lot that don't do much
    So if i want to maximize my healing i have to dps with all healers correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    There, you now have a healer where you don't have to DPS.
    Aaaaand then you quickly realise that to level you have to kill mobs, and to kill mobs you have to obtain the weapon, and the weapon is tied to spec, and if you level up a damage spec's weapon, you won't be able to level up your healer's weapon, so you will suck as a healer.

No, unless you have a party of friends to level up from 100 to 110 with, you HAVE to deal damage with every available healer.
    No more time wasted in WoW.. still reading this awesome forum, though

Deleted
    There are too many healers who don't dps at all in random dungeon groups. I hate it when a healer thinks that they can get away with just standing there and casting a couple of healing spells. I always check Recount after the first couple of pulls and if I don't see at least a decent amount of dps from the healer I'll votekick them. If they /w me after the kick I just tell them to go and play CoD.

Quote Originally Posted by Malic View Post
    Most I think... trying to think of a outliner but not coming up with one. That isn't to say dps should more more then 1/10th of your actions and spells but every healer should be tossing out something as a sort of regen or a little extra dmg during low dmg phases.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, only if you want to maximize your group performance. Discipline is the only one that has to damage to maximize its healing. If all you want to do is heal, even in periods where there's nothing to heal (the only time other specs will worry about dealing damage), then any non-Discipline healing spec should work fine for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Haekke View Post
    There are too many healers who don't dps at all in random dungeon groups. I hate it when a healer thinks that they can get away with just standing there and casting a couple of healing spells. I always check Recount after the first couple of pulls and if I don't see at least a decent amount of dps from the healer I'll votekick them. If they /w me after the kick I just tell them to go and play CoD.
    You are too cool for this game.

Glad I don't que with you then. If people are standing in fire and taking unnecessary damage I'm going to spend my time keeping them and everyone else alive rather than doing someone else's role.

Healers role is to heal and keep people alive, that's our #1 priority, if I can't heal people through dpsing and people are going to be taking damage I'm not going to waste my time dpsing, that's something the dps can handle. If everyone is decent and nobody is standing in shit then of course I'll dps, no reason to spam heals or cast a few spells if they aren't doing anything.

You're the only person I've seen with this kind of mentality towards healers. I guess if I ever que with you I should let everyone die so I can do decent dps. Sounds logical.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by l33t View Post
    Aaaaand then you quickly realise that to level you have to kill mobs, and to kill mobs you have to obtain the weapon, and the weapon is tied to spec, and if you level up a damage spec's weapon, you won't be able to level up your healer's weapon, so you will suck as a healer.

No, unless you have a party of friends to level up from 100 to 110 with, you HAVE to deal damage with every available healer.
    I'm pretty sure that what OP is asking is what healing specs are there where dps is not mandatory in a raid group.

And the answer to that is, pretty much everyone BUT disc. MW CAN dps while healing, but pure healing is often times better currently and in Legion. All of the Holy and Resto specs do not have to dps whatsoever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

what are you doing with your globals when there is nothing to heal in current healing model? just standing around doing nothing ? (bad) overhealing and wasting mana? (arguably worst, depending if its farmVSprogression). Aka even in current wow if there is nothing to heal, you should be throwing FREE dps globals to at least be contributing something while your mana regens instead of standing there picking your ass.

The model isn't changing in Legion, healers dps will still be free, used as a filler for when little/no healing is required so you can have some period of passive regen. The only difference, sans disc priest, is it will have more impact than it does currently. (more dps).
    Last edited by Shenkz; 2016-05-22 at 06:51 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Taeldorian View Post
    You're the only person I've seen with this kind of mentality towards healers. I guess if I ever que with you I should let everyone die so I can do decent dps. Sounds logical.
    now you've seen two, not doing free damage is incredibly stupid

No. Read the posts that aren't cryptic nitpicky bullshit.

Disc deals damage in order to heal.
    Holy paladins have some vestigial bullshit from when they had the option to do dps to heal but they do not do dps in order to heal.
    Holy priests do not do dps in order to heal.
    Resto druids do not do dps in order to heal.
    Resto shamans do not do dps in order to heal.
    Mistweaver monks do not do dps in order to heal.

the only time a healer can get away with doing dmg instead of healing is when the content is overgeared, healers dmg is usually so low it makes no difference at all, especially when doing the mythic plus encounters there is not going to be much room for healers doing dmg, if your vote kicking a healer for doing his job in healing then you need to sort your priorities out. Anyone thats even a half decent player wouldn't even care if a healer was putting out some dmg or not.

Unless the spec is designed for damaging abilities to either buff or provide something a healer needs to preform better they shouldn't even bother
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Reglitch View Post
    now you've seen two, not doing free damage is incredibly stupid
    Read the whole post? I said if there's a time when damage isn't happening or it's a low damage window then of course every healer should be dpsing, I do that all the time, but if damage is high and people are standing in shit I'm not going to sit there and denounce the boss while people are dying.

Why do people only read one portion of a post, quote it and answer it with something stupid? I never understood this.
    Last edited by Taeldorian; 2016-05-22 at 06:53 PM.

Deleted
    Healers getting triggered from hearing the truth.

Healers don't even have to pay attention to the fight mechanics. All they have to do is to watch the Raid UI and if they see someone's HP bar going low they use a healing spell. If the bar is going very low they use a big healing spell. Most overrated role in the game.

A proud tank since Vanilla.