Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    It's funny, she acts exactly like a "good" Old God that people were talking about a long time ago. Albeit completely different powerwise.
    I never got that you know, why people felt or thought she was more like an old god.

maybe it's because she communicates with people in their mind/heart like they do? But isn't that the main way God in real life does it? It's supposed to be a part of godhood right? why it should mean old gods and not true deity, I'm not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    I never got that you know, why people felt or thought she was more like an old god.

maybe it's because she communicates with people in their mind/heart like they do? But isn't that the main way God in real life does it? It's supposed to be a part of godhood right? why it should mean old gods and not true deity, I'm not sure.
    She also actively guided the Night Elf civilization and evolution, granting her powers to those who worship her.

I'm not actually saying she is a "good" Old God, just that it's funny since that WAS a theory a few years ago and she does act pretty similar to one, albeit from a "good" angle.

She could be some ultimate being of the Light or the Arcane, but I think at this point she's just legitimately the only actual goddess of the Warcraft universe that essentially just 'hijacked' (In a good way) a bunch of the Titan's stuff (Speaking through the Well of Eternity, The Emerald Dream) and essentially guided her own race into fruition (Dark Elves to Night Elves) through that connection.
    Well, there's really no way of telling if Elune is alone or without equal. Sure, it does sound like she existed in the beginning stages of the universe, before the ordering of Light and Shadow finished, but there are other beings who could similar predate the completion of the universe of Light and Shadow. Of course, such beings would probably have to have an existence based outside of the universe and wouldn't exist as an ordered blend of Light and Shadow. Rather, they would probably exist more at the extremes.

I'm not going to deny her divinity, but the void lords could easily be just as old as Elune and the An'she worshiped by the Tauren might not just be a myth.

Based on the Xe'ra revelation it's pretty obvious that Elune is the 'Light' equivalent of the Void Lords, with the Naaru being created by Elune confirmed.

Based on the principle that the Void Lords are 'banished' outside of our Universe, only able to assert their will via Old Gods, it could probably be assumed that Elune also exists outside of our Universe.

If Elune and the Void Lords are both extra-universal entities fighting over the Universe, and Azeroth is the final 'trump card' that would allow either to assert victory over the other, that would make things much more interesting.

Given how very similar Warcraft / Starcraft / Diablo cosmology has become, we should take note of Diablos version of creation: Which essentially started when a single God (Anu) fractured itself into separate Good/Light and Evil/Shadow (Tathemet) aspects.

So.... I wouldnt be too surprised if Warcrafts cosmology went down a similar path - and Elune was revealed to be the Light of Creation incarnate, which could lead to another revelation that there's an Shadow equivalent. (Not just 'a void lord' - but rather a single entity everything derived from). Whether it and Elune had any sort of relationship past or present (like in Diablo) would remain to be seen.

Deleted
    If Elune is the Essence of the Arcane, I wonder how that would make the Kaldorei feel when they find out.

I mean, with all their no-no agendas towards magic, and their fanatic worshiping of Elune, I don't see them swallowing the news very well.

Why would the essence of Arcane make Naaru lol

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by KrakHed View Post
    Well, there's some actual new shit about Elune now.

After this quest, Khadgar supposedly suggests that Elune is Xe'ra's creator: http://felweaver.tumblr.com/post/144635680743

For additional context, Xe'ra's sentience core is only supposed to be readable by beings of the same lineage, with O'ros being the only surviving Naaru descended from it. However, this vision from the core is activated by a reaction to the Tear of Elune. Since Xe'ra seems to be a first generation Naaru, this would suggest that Elune is actually one of their creators.
    It might 'suggest' it but they never mention it afterwards. At all. It's like, "Hey I found this super impossible lore from the past that makes no sense because no one on Azeroth knew jack shit about the Naaru, and it says Elune made the Big Daddy Naaru!" and then doesn't get brought up anywhere else in the quest chain. It's a red herring. The Tear of Elune is probably just a misnamed Light artifact.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by shoc View Post
    Based on the Xe'ra revelation it's pretty obvious that Elune is the 'Light' equivalent of the Void Lords, with the Naaru being created by Elune confirmed.

Based on the principle that the Void Lords are 'banished' outside of our Universe, only able to assert their will via Old Gods, it could probably be assumed that Elune also exists outside of our Universe.

If Elune and the Void Lords are both extra-universal entities fighting over the Universe, and Azeroth is the final 'trump card' that would allow either to assert victory over the other, that would make things much more interesting.
    The Naaru being created by Elune isn't confirmed though. Khadgar says he read about it in a book, a book that couldn't possibly exist because no one on Azeroth knew a damn thing about the Naaru before the Draenei showed up. And even if the knew ABOUT them, how would they know that Elune created them? It's a red herring. Either that or Blizzard writers cannot make any logical connections anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalecgos the Spellweaver View Post
    If Elune is the Essence of the Arcane, I wonder how that would make the Kaldorei feel when they find out.

I mean, with all their no-no agendas towards magic, and their fanatic worshiping of Elune, I don't see them swallowing the news very well.
    I think this is what has happened but we just haven't noticed it. Night elves have been presented as enigmatic, full of juxtapositions. The same group who post sundering don't use the arcane for spellwork still consistently venerate it in the waters of the well of eternity and the moonwells.

This means it's our understanding of them that has to shift. So I review them in a different light now. We assumed they hated the arcane, but actually there is no evidence of that - there is evidence of them hating USING the arcane for spellwork. We assumed that meant they thought the arcane was evil. but the evidence shows clearly they felt using it would attract the legion, usage not the arcane was issue.

So we were wrong about them, or mis-understood. Their mistake just after the sundering was feeling that not using the arcane could actually stop the legion from coming back, we see that now very clearly in the extended lore when it is revealed that the legion had been searching for the world of AZeroth long before the night elves came to exist, and would have found it regardless of their actions. All that blaming of themselves and magic was useless. But was it the arcane they blamed? when you look at it closely, actually the blame goes to the misuse of magic and the folly of the elf for feeling himself invincible and uncorruptable, not to the actual arcane itself. And again the continuous arcane centred worship of the priesthood, usage of arcane material and source material like Moonwells and the Well of Eternity despite not using the Well's magic for spellwork backs this up.

We thought they felt "The arcane should not be used at all" as definite truth, we were wrong about that, not the narrative. The narrative has priests and druids using arcane spells from the very beginning, but shows that it was employing greater works of magic using a powerful source that was the real danger. They forbid using the Well for spell work, abbreviated to using the arcane - mistaken by us to mean not using any arcane spells at all. But to them from the narrative, they come from a society where magical use is phenomenal, it is easy to now see what was considered "magic" was the seroius stuff they used the well over, the great works, not casting simple spells like arcane bolts, even the trolls were doing that. Such normal low powered spells not drawing from a well source to empower were not what they were banning here. And the evidence backs this up because of the arcane spells druids and priests use. So you may ask doesn't this mean that they should have had mages still? Not to them, if you are society who's magecraft is characteriszed by much greater works, and now you can't do them because you can't use a source, it's career over. It's like you can't use AC electricity anymore when most of your works require electricity to power machines, computers etc. sure you can use battries - those aren't the mains, for mcuh smaller things like a small power boost, but for what you were use to, the level you were operating, tha'ts no career, this new thing, the new low powered usage is nothing, using magic without a power source, might be good enough for on 1 combat or a damaging spell, but that's not magecraft, magecraft is over, the minor non-powered arcane usage just gets folded into the careers you can do, which would be either in the priesthood or in the druids, which is why druids use arcane spells also as do priests. It makes perfect sense. The context is in the actual narrative and explained in the aftermath of massive catastrophe which would leave anyone feeling raw and tender.

So atttitudes hence? Highborne with them recover faster. Because of mistrust of that particular group, so soon after such an event, despite the high intelligence of their races, fear presides and caution kicks into overdrive fuelled by mistrust of the leading caste causes them to doubt Darth'remar when he says, "now we know arcane usage can cause tears ino the twisting nether, we should be able to compensate for that, no need to abandon magical usage and waste all this power we now have back". Under any other circumstance, they'd have agreed, most of them being spell casters themselves, but in the wake of such a disaster, no longer an enemy to fight, the frustration is easy to turn on one group (and while it's not all highborne persay, don't forget Darth'remar's particular group are Zin'Azshari highborne that were working in concert with the Queen, not Suramar highborne who rebelled or Eldre'thalas or Menaar highborne who rebelled. These particular ones had been actually doing it, and even they did turn on the queen, sabotging the portal work till they could make their escape after seeing what the Satyr former elves were doing, you can imagine and see the accusation of "it was the highborne" is not a thing necessarily directed at all highborne universally but it was at that particular group then. Despite their heroics actions that helped saved everyone, their history did not help their case. And you can imagine years of frustration at the arrogance of the highborne and ofc the great trauma of losing all their homes would have made the other night elves view them largely unfavoourably. in other words, It's not a magic mistrust it's an elf mistrust. "Can we take such a risk with something as dangerous as the Legion on the word of a person or group that for awhile was complicit with them?" " Is he saying this because it is true and it can be possible or is he saying this because he is so desperate for arcane fix he would say anything?"

And here you can see night elves realizing the arcane can be very addictive -but we assume this is because they believe the arcane itself is bad, but the narrative doesn't tell us that, after chronicles revelations, the full context is exposed, it's sort of more like sugar - it's not evil, but if you over use you will get hooked and your body will not be able to do without it. We think like drugs, but it isn't like drugs. Again through chronicles, it's Fel that is more like drugs. very easily addictive, and no good for you at all warping you in a corrupt way, arcane is like sugar, it is clearly very good for use, but dangerous without control and measure. [incidenntally it actually makes demon hunters more courageous for actually enduring corruption to be more powerful to stop evil - a bit warped, but heroic, given that they ressist corruption of the soul even though they allow their bodies to be marred by this. -very different from the arcane, far more potent in corrupting]

Did the night elves see this? Nothing in the narrative points that they didn't. Mistrust of the highborne not "unaware" of the arcane or hate for the arcane was the source of rejecting the insight from Darth'remar that they could use magic safely without drawing the Legion. Addiction? yes, a possibility, but we felt they believed arcane was a corrupting source and that was reason enough. The narrative shows otherwise. They never felt teh arcane was impure or corrupt. but they felt it would corrupt at first if used like before i.e. with a well, but the real truth is that they came to realize it would corrupt only if you let it. The real danger for them was not corruption but it's usage woould draw the Legion. this resulted in arcane is good, but proper usage is bad. Not trusting the hgihborrne witht they didn't blieve and couldn't risk that it could be used without creating tears in the nether.

Illidan
    Illidan tells them the Legion will return regardless, this could have made a huge difference to their decision too, but he's just restored the Well of Eternity, the source of temptation, but tha'ts not the insurmountable issue, I think at that point most would be unsure whether it will eventually be a bad thing or not, atm, because it's implosion has just destroyed the world, fear is larger sentiment, but that could have been over come if Illidan didn't do what he did next. He killed a few night elves in an unstable fit of madness - which was the main reason far over fear that they didn't listen to him then. Repeating it afterwards many times would only be viewed as a desperate attempt to escape incarceration. REmember even without murdering them he is treated with suspicion because of his stint joining the legion. They don't believe he was acting as a double agent, the onus was on him to prove it, murdering your allies in a fit has the effect of doing the opposite.
    We Were Wrong
    I think now in hindsight, after all revelations: We not the narrative has been wrong about how the night elves viewed a lot of things. i still think they felt the arcane was very corrupting but were wrong about the extent, and the views vary, people like Tyrande don't think it is nearly as much as say Maiev is to have felt about it. They for a while largely feared using it would corrupt them, but I think that was a minor concern, exagerrated by us, I use to think they feared that using any of the arcane would 100% corrupt them so that's why they didn't, but that's not the narrative showed, it shows the fear of corruption and the legion was in large scale use and now chronicles shows definitively that is not the case. You will only get corrupt if you mis-use magic, doens't matter if its' from a Well or not. Addiction is not corruption either, and it must also be watched for. It is not an inevitability either, You must decide dependancy versus non-dependency. We depend on food, that's not a bad thing because food can be nice. Would you free yourself from food dependency if you could? Probably, but would it stop you from eating food if it was pleasurable and quite beneficial? Ofc not. Would you balance your food intake and body with exercise so as to not get corrupted (sick) because of it? Ofc. And would you maximise usage work to be able to safely and effectively use large amounts through you without bring yourself out of balance? Yes you would

Therefore there reason for not using was not corruuption fear - and htis also explains their willingness to work alongside pre-fel/pre-Illidan Kael'thas, and Human and High Elf mages in the 3rd war. The reason for not using, was not drawing the demons back. Corruption was an addiction thing control and exercise to maintain balance is easy to compensate for. Night elves did not lack dicipline, Azshara's lackeys did because of over-confidence in their mastery and no accountability. This is not the purview of magical usage, but is the same for everything. Going out of control is dangerous. Discipline is essential.

And I feel this is where the nightborne night elves are at, and it's where the night elves will evolve too. Studying magical balance would be a join effort between arcanists, priests and druids, and night elf society is where the cutting edge of this research would come from. Because Elves are the ones that have had both corruption and addiction issues through over use, and are probably the ones that best understand it. Furthermore it is there healing priests and druid classes that have arcane usage involved, no others do, and they are the only ones that have been using magic for a substantially long time, over 10k years. Therefore it is there group I feel that will cleanse the nightwell, and maximise magic usage in a way to do great works without getting addiction. I think discipline and good values normally advocated by societies with strong priesthoods is the best prevention of corruption, because it is bad attitudes like pride, over-confidence, driven by hatred, humiliation all issues of the soul that lead to causing a person to become evil and use whatever power they possess wrongly, so a strong priesthood acts as a deterrent to that.
    I think a similar thing can be achieved with the blood elves in the sunewll because it is now both a font of arcane and holy energy, i think being suffused by its energies will no longer cause addiction for blood elves, And i have written far too much ... yet again, on somethign that is hardly relevant.
    Goodnight

Deleted
    lol what. No it didn't. It didn't at all.

After Xe'ra's revelation, it throws basically all of Elune's origin stories out of the window.

Elune existed as the universe was still being formed ('Before the ordering of Light & Shadow finished'), so she couldn't have been a Titan-related creature, a Naaru, or anything that came into existence because of the Well of Eternity's creation. She existed before all of that. She created Xe'ra when the ordering was still happening.

She could be some ultimate being of the Light or the Arcane, but I think at this point she's just legitimately the only actual goddess of the Warcraft universe that essentially just 'hijacked' (In a good way) a bunch of the Titan's stuff (Speaking through the Well of Eternity, The Emerald Dream) and essentially guided her own race into fruition (Dark Elves to Night Elves) through that connection.

It's funny, she acts exactly like a "good" Old God that people were talking about a long time ago. Albeit completely different powerwise.
    Indeed, Elune seems to actually be the Goddess of WoW, having created the naaru now and using titan creations for her goal.

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post

It was mostly when the naaru theory surfaced. After everyone tore it down, they started trying to understand what she could be:
    -she talked to people in their minds
    -she altered beings and created new ones
    -she gave them special magic
    -she showed themselves in different guides to her people
    -she took a race that were her champions so to say
    Overall, things that Old Gods did too. Only Elune did it for good and the benefit of life, while the other Old Gods did it for evil.

Still, now that she birthed the naaru too and existed before the ordering of the universe, her power levels spike to eternity. She can still be the element of Light or Arcane, but her story now points to what was originally written about her, the only known true deity of the Warcraft universe.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AlarStormbringer View Post
    It might 'suggest' it but they never mention it afterwards. At all. It's like, "Hey I found this super impossible lore from the past that makes no sense because no one on Azeroth knew jack shit about the Naaru, and it says Elune made the Big Daddy Naaru!" and then doesn't get brought up anywhere else in the quest chain. It's a red herring. The Tear of Elune is probably just a misnamed Light artifact.

The Naaru being created by Elune isn't confirmed though. Khadgar says he read about it in a book, a book that couldn't possibly exist because no one on Azeroth knew a damn thing about the Naaru before the Draenei showed up. And even if the knew ABOUT them, how would they know that Elune created them? It's a red herring. Either that or Blizzard writers cannot make any logical connections anymore.
    Generally when some important character in WoW says something, it's almost confirmed. Like, this also explains why Velen felt Elune was somewhat similar to a naaru. It was because she created them so Velen felt something similar from her magic. Essentially Elune is like a God and naaru are her angels.

Also Khadgar might have found out as someone maybe actively asked the naaru once where they came from and one responded and it was scribbled down.

Honestly I like this aspect of the story.

7+ Year Old Account
    Someone somewhere (SoL? official story forum? Can't remember) pointed out that Khadgar was stuck in Outland for years and therefore had access to all sorts of material not available to Azerothian scholars, mentioning that there were entities such as Ethereal traders and the like around from whom he could have gotten such "tomes". It's reasonably credible, although, as usual, it would be nice if Blizzard's writers would stick in a line or two to explain rather than leave the players throwing up our hands wondering "wtf".

As for these naaru knowing who created them, that's not a stretch at all either, especially if the entity we know as Elune communicates with them. And it/she communicates wordlessly with Azerothian night elves, so why wouldn't it communicate even more efficiently with more advanced creatures such as naaru, especially the elder naaru?

Quote Originally Posted by Snowraven View Post

Still, now that she birthed the naaru too and existed before the ordering of the universe, her power levels spike to eternity. She can still be the element of Light or Arcane, but her story now points to what was originally written about her, the only known true deity of the Warcraft universe..
    yeah, Legion is revealing a lot of things. Part of me wishes, most of this stuff was sealed to the community till the finished product was ready. But I guess because WoD is so dull atm, this is the only thing keeping wow fans going

Deleted
    I agree with a few others that Elune looks to be the Light equivalent of the Void Lords. A being unable to exist in our universe similarly to the Void Lords not being able to exist in our universe. While the Void Lords created the Old Gods to influence the worlds, Elune seems to have created the Naaru to do the same.

I don't know about that. It seems to be generated in a cinematic where Elune weeps over Ysera when she dies. Is that Cinematic ingame yet?

- - - Updated - - -

you mean renamed not misnamed and titan artifact, not light artifact.

Doesn't tell you when Khadgar read the book. he's went to outland for a while remember. Met Naaru, spent ages with A'dal too, then WoD, it could even have been a night elven book where Xe'ru is mentioned by name but not called naaru, or maybe it was, but it would not have meant much to anyone in their society except maybe priest scholars, cos the naaru weren't a known thing to Azerothians.

Re-reading the relevant parts of the Chronicle, I think it's possible that Elune is Azeroth again.

The naaru and the titans were created at roughly the same time, but no actual chronology is given there. In fact, the events of that section presumably took place over a wide scale of time. Also, it mentions that the titans are much greater than the naaru, so a titan definitely could have helped them form.

This happened well before Azeroth awoke, however (Azeroth still isn't awake, obviously), so how could it have been responsible? Because Azeroth is powerful. Aggramar only finds Azeroth to begin with because its dream reached unprecedentedly far into the cosmos, and was strong enough to make itself known through a surface absolutely infested with Old Gods. The Chronicle also mentions that the Emerald Dream may not have been created by Freya, but may literally be Azeroth's dream (which is supported by Aggramar detecting the world due to its dream).

Azeroth has an unprecedented power and reach, and if the Emerald Dream is Azeroth's, then it can definitely affect the physical realm even while officially asleep.

I think it's possible that Azeroth was one of the first things created in the universe, and it subconsciously helped the naaru form, with the same far-reaching dream that led the Pantheon to it. This also supports the idea that Azeroth falling to the Void Lords is an instant loss for the entire universe, because it wouldn't just be a powerful titan, but an insanely powerful titan that matters even when it's sleeping.

Elune being some sort of Light Lord seems to make the most sense with the information about the prime naaru, but I don't think it necessitates it. I don't need her to be a titan, and I once would have hated it, but there's still too much that would be weird to me if she wasn't.

(The thing that would still be weird either way is all the moon imagery. I'd say she's a world-soul for the White Lady, but that doesn't really help explain the naaru stuff, unless Azeroth used to only have one moon and she's some sort of traveler.)
    Last edited by Jokubas; 2016-06-02 at 11:41 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jokubas View Post
    Re-reading the relevant parts of the Chronicle, I think it's possible that Elune is Azeroth again.

The naaru and the titans were created at roughly the same time, but no actual chronology is given there. In fact, the events of that section presumably took place over a wide scale of time. Also, it mentions that the titans are much greater than the naaru, so a titan definitely could have helped them form.

This happened well before Azeroth awoke, however (Azeroth still isn't awake, obviously), so how could it have been responsible? Because Azeroth is powerful. Aggramar only finds Azeroth to begin with because its dream reached unprecedentedly far into the cosmos, and was strong enough to make itself known through a surface absolutely infested with Old Gods. The Chronicle also mentions that the Emerald Dream may not have been created by Freya, but may literally be Azeroth's dream (which is supported by Aggramar detecting the world due to its dream).

Azeroth has an unprecedented power and reach, and if the Emerald Dream is Azeroth's, then it can definitely affect the physical realm even while officially asleep.

I think it's possible that Azeroth was one of the first things created in the universe, and it subconsciously helped the naaru form, with the same far-reaching dream that led the Pantheon to it. This also supports the idea that Azeroth falling to the Void Lords is an instant loss for the entire universe, because it wouldn't just be a powerful titan, but an insanely powerful titan that matters even when it's sleeping.

Elune being some sort of Light Lord seems to make the most sense with the information about the prime naaru, but I don't think it necessitates it. I don't need her to be a titan, and I once would have hated it, but there's still too much that would be weird to me if she wasn't.

(The thing that would still be weird either way is all the moon imagery. I'd say she's a world-soul for the White Lady, but that doesn't really help explain the naaru stuff, unless Azeroth used to only have one moon and she's some sort of traveler.)

... just adding to this, not saying I agree one way or the other, but someone in the main beta discussion thread just noted that Magni confirms that Azeroth is a she, which may be or may not be another clue that helps the Elune = Azeroth case.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jokubas View Post
    The Chronicle also mentions that the Emerald Dream may not have been created by Freya, but may literally be Azeroth's dream (which is supported by Aggramar detecting the world due to its dream).
    Chronicle plainly states that Freya created the Emerald Dream. It presents flavor lore that some people in-universe claim it always existed and Freya tapped into it.

Actually, looking at the moon might be a good idea after all.

We were told that Azeroth will never wake up, which didn't make a lot of sense. That is, assuming Azeroth is the titan that everyone's looking for. Aggramar was surprised he could hear it over the din of the Old Gods on Azeroth's surface, but it's possible that he wouldn't be able to hear Azeroth over that, and he was hearing something else. The White Lady is in orbit, and would easily be able to project past the Old Gods. That's not to say Azeroth doesn't have a world-soul, but the White Lady's proximity could have been confusing them. Azeroth could be a titan, even a powerful one, but one that died somewhere along the line, and the power everyone is after is not where they think it is.

The White Lady was seen in the Well of Eternity and is why the night elves associate Elune with the moon, and actually gives Elune a reason to appear there. The White Lady is also key to the Embrace, which apparently happened when the Aspects were empowered, giving a titanic connection.

I see no reason why a moon can't have a world-soul. Of course, like I said, this doesn't solve the naaru problem, but it might be worth considering.
    Last edited by Jokubas; 2016-06-03 at 12:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Enthralled View Post
    ... just adding to this, not saying I agree one way or the other, but someone in the main beta discussion thread just noted that Magni confirms that Azeroth is a she, which may be or may not be another clue that helps the Elune = Azeroth case.
    still speculative.. races often refer to planets as she, like a mother who gives birth to her children, the Earthmother is "she", doesn't mean that the titan is female, i'm still remembering Kosak's slip when he referred to Azeroth as a "He".. but I have to re-examine the context Magni made that statement in, if you can post the link from the beta forums.