Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    I'm 100% behind adding more modes. Game could use more diversity in objectives.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Raone View Post
    Then overwatch isn't for you
    That is indeed what I'm fearing. I'm sure I'd enjoy it casually, just not sure it's worth the 40 bucks for me personally.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

CTF could be fun, but the only downside would be that there would be some pretty striking class advantages, for example a bastion watching a capture point would be kind of OP, or trobjorn having his turrets. Yes I know this happens on objective maps already, but those are much larger and open areas of the map, with many avenues to get to. Whereas a CTF map has 1 spot that the flag can be captured.

Came across this article, and feel like it really sets in stone that Capture The Flag just is not going to happen. We all love the game mode, but it's just flawed in a game such as this.

Article from Polygon (Nov 07, 2015) **yes it's 6 months old**
    "We do a lot of prototyping on game modes," Kaplan said. "The company, the team and the community are all dying for game modes. We are very hopeful to introduce a new game mode into Overwatch, but the main driving design philosophy behind it to us is that we don't want to do anything that makes the heroes not the main focus of the game or takes away from the hero abilities."

A great example is capture the flag, he said, which doesn't mesh well with Overwatch's game systems.

"We tried capture the flag in Overwatch. We don't like it," he said. "You either have it wind up being a match of all Tracers and Genjis, or you end up putting so many rules in that Tracer doesn't feel like Tracer anymore or there's no reason to play her in the map.

"We also tried both a three- and five-point linear control map where teams would push and pull against each other. We found that what ended up happening is the roles sort of went away... The big point though is we're constantly prototyping. We're always building more of the same maps we know that work and have great Overwatch gameplay, but we have a constant side project of prototyping new maps and I'm very hopeful that we'll introduce one sooner rather than later."

Deleted
    or you end up putting so many rules in that Tracer doesn't feel like Tracer anymore or there's no reason to play her in the map
    Yes, well, this here is a great example of how Jeff Kaplan knows jack shit about the games Blizzard makes, and, to be frank, it's been a recurring theme throughout the history of the company; the guys on the top don't really know how to actually make the games work, and haven't really, ever.

They stopped being true gamers decades ago (if they ever were), and became businessmen, retaining some kind of a "Sunday gamer" -status, at most. And, they've never really been people who you'd point at and say "hey that guy there sure knows his FPS'". It's not an FPS company.

But, so... Look at how CTF works in WoW (yes yes, different genre, I am well aware); you've got certain limitations on what abilities can be used while carrying the flag, there at least used to be (haven't been on a WoW battleground for a while now) a debuff on the carrier, increasing the incoming damage on them, and most of the time you've got either the whole group buzzing around the flag carrier, fighting the enemy, or, you've got one group defending the carrier and another attacking the enemy carrier.

So, just slap a "max 100% run speed" and "no teleporting" on the carrier, perhaps some "increases incoming damage by X%", and there ya go. CTF done. Tracer can still be Tracer and go pester the EFC, and there's no need not to take her on a map.

Jeff is a moron.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    I don't really get what you're doing here. You're ranting about how dumb he is, and then your suggestions end up doing exactly what he's talking about.

Slap a "no teleporting" rule on the carrier, and bam....you just made Tracer not feel like Tracer at all. It's not like WoW where Divine Shield makes you drop the flag, because that's just one ability out of many. Removing movement abilities from characters when they have the flag basically removes the entire skill set for several heroes. It doesn't seem nearly as simple as you make it seem.
    That's because it's not simple, and for some reason a bunch of people swear that it is lol --- but there won't be Capture The Flag in Overwatch.........so these arguments/discussions will be all for nothing :P

Very curious to see what other modes do become available though

Also
    I love how random gamers talk down on people who have been in the industry for decades and are obviously successful and whatever it is they're doing. If guys like Kaplan never listened to his developing team and/or the testers who play the modes, maps, and characters that they create throughout the process, than the game would never evolve into it's final version.

One of the main guys at a gaming company, doesn't have to be a diehard gamer to know what needs to be done to improve and/or build games. That's what his Development TEAM are for. He's there to oversee the work and input ideas. You really think a guy in his position would have the kind of free time that regular 9 to 5ers like myself have to play games for hours on end??????
    Last edited by McLovenIt; 2016-05-23 at 10:08 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Yes, well, this here is a great example of how Jeff Kaplan knows jack shit about the games Blizzard makes, and, to be frank, it's been a recurring theme throughout the history of the company; the guys on the top don't really know how to actually make the games work, and haven't really, ever.

They stopped being true gamers decades ago (if they ever were), and became businessmen, retaining some kind of a "Sunday gamer" -status, at most. And, they've never really been people who you'd point at and say "hey that guy there sure knows his FPS'". It's not an FPS company.

But, so... Look at how CTF works in WoW (yes yes, different genre, I am well aware); you've got certain limitations on what abilities can be used while carrying the flag, there at least used to be (haven't been on a WoW battleground for a while now) a debuff on the carrier, increasing the incoming damage on them, and most of the time you've got either the whole group buzzing around the flag carrier, fighting the enemy, or, you've got one group defending the carrier and another attacking the enemy carrier.

So, just slap a "max 100% run speed" and "no teleporting" on the carrier, perhaps some "increases incoming damage by X%", and there ya go. CTF done. Tracer can still be Tracer and go pester the EFC, and there's no need not to take her on a map.

Jeff is a moron.
    Yeah but in WoW, normally you can't outrun everyone on the map. Tracer has her blink, Genji has good mobility all round, D'va is fast in her mech but the rest are pretty slow overall. In WoW, a travel form druid can be caught up by mounting or by the huge array of movement boosts as well as the consistent slows and disables of almost every class. Very few heroes in OW have CC or catching mechanics.

Also, very few abilities are actually disabled in WoW when carrying a flag, you can still sprint, leap, use big cooldowns like dispersion or cloak but you can't go invincible or invisible. You disable 1 or 2 abilities on each hero in OW, suddenly that hero is playing at 30-50% of what makes that hero fun. You disable 1 ability in WoW per class, that still leaves 20 odd other abilities that make up that specs identity.

When you disable abilities on carrier, Tracer doesn't feel like Tracer. You've just completely refuted the point you were trying to make.

Jeff Kaplan knows more about game design than you, son. A lot more. Let's be honest here, Overwatch is one of the most hyped games in years because the dev team knows what they are doing more than average gamer joe.
    Last edited by mmocd786cabdc9; 2016-05-23 at 10:15 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Slap a "no teleporting" rule on the carrier, and bam....you just made Tracer not feel like Tracer at all.
    Explain to me again why the flag carrier has to "feel like" the character normally does. Explain to me again why Tracer has to be the flag carrier.

Quote Originally Posted by RaZDaZ View Post
    When you disable abilities on carrier, Tracer doesn't feel like Tracer. You've just completely refuted the point you were trying to make.
    No I haven't. The FC is just one out of six people and it doesn't have to be the same guy every time. Doesn't matter if the FC has debuffs on.

Quote Originally Posted by RaZDaZ View Post
    Jeff Kaplan knows more about game design than you, son.
    First of all, I'm 37 in a month, so unless you're in your fifties, you can shove that "son" up where the light don't shine. Secondly, I'm sure Kaplan knows a lot about game design. I'm just not convinced he knows how to make a good game, and absolutely doesn't know what actual gamers want out of a game, without asking, you know, actual gamers.

I hope they add this in the future that'd be so cool!

Two of the most fun modes in the original Team Fortress was Two Prisons and Murderball.

In Two Prisons you had a prison with a court yard and on the left side was a wardens office, the right had a long tunnel to a gas chamber. In the front was a gateway (snipers roosted on the 3rd floor), in front of that was a yard with a ravine and a bridge to the other side and on th other side was an exact duplicate prison. Both prisons faced one another. The trick was to get through the defences to the opposing sides wardens desk, take the key and then get back across the yard to the right side to release the gas killing everyone in the game except for those in the gas chamber (or underwater).

The other was murderball, a square battle arena with 4 forts on either side, each team has its own fort. The trick was to get the ball in the middle of the board and get it back to your base and keep the 3 other teams from trying to take it from you as long as possible.

Of course this would require 20+ players so it doesn't really work out well in Overwatch but it would be nice to see teams have to split up into offense and defence teams and go off in two different directions.

Yeah, it's a problem with Overwatch. They only harnessed the power of player created content in Starcraft. For other games, we've stuck waiting until Blizz creates something themselves before we can get something new.

Capture the flag seems like it will be quite imbalanced with the variety of heroes who have high mobility