Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Why is it alwys I who have to step down?

Hello!

I had a rather hectic argument with one of my friends just now.

The image and some of the text contains spoilers for the latest episode of GoT called "The Door". Scroll past it to just see the question(no spoilers)

A friend of mine, person 1, posted this image in our chat while I had it muted;

person 2: too soon :'(

argumentative friend: ty for spoil

me: I wonder if the author had this in his mind all the time or if it was just made up to get rid of Hodor

I was then accused for spoiling the story of the episode. I replied byt saying that it appeared obvious that they knew about it when you consider what they had posted. Apparently that made me an idiot and many other nasty things when I argued that it was understandable that I thought they knew about it (after apologizing ofc).

No matter how many times I posted screens etc that proved my point that it was reasonable for me to assume he knew about it - I was still an idiot. I got angry after a while and really focused all I could on bringing upp more and more stuff supporting my claim since I didn't want to take that shit since it wasn't even I who spoiled anything to start with.

To the point of thread:

Why do people expect me to step down form an argument all the time? In my view it seems as if I don't end the argument despite feeling I'm correct I'm viewed as stubborn and childish just for not folding immediately. In the past few years I've almost just shut my mouth or changed the topic as soon as I've realised I'm heading into an argument and the number of long debates has severely gone down but as soon as I tell myself "I'm not gonna take this shit" or "I'm gonna prove this person wrong" I'm instantly a horrible and idiotic person.

I think there's this old joke where the punchline is 'hold d door', 'hold d door'. That's what came to mind.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    I think there's this old joke where the punchline is 'hold d door', 'hold d door'. That's what came to mind.
    Not sure what to make of that :P

TL;DR your friend is a fucking moron. If you care that much about the show, watch it when it comes out or at least 24 fucking hours of it coming out. It came out 48 hours ago.

I hate these cancerous fucks that just roam forums and image sites shouting SPOILERZZZ as if the rest of the world has to shut the fuck up for weeks until they finally decide that they'll sit down and watch it

^

I have zero sympathy for people that bitch about spoilers.

Quote Originally Posted by mittacc View Post
    Hello!

-Snip-
    Not to offend you, but how old are you guys?

This is quite a common thing to happen in arguments, especially in large groups of people.

Chances are your friend realises he's wrong in the argument, but at this point he's too embarrassed and/or proud to admit his fault, which causes him to go on the defensive with the only thing he's got left; Namecalling.

If your friend just resorted to calling you a moron or an idiot without coming up with compelling counter-evidence, then he knows he's lost and is just too childish to admit it.

There's nothing you can really do in this situation except be the adult and end it as quickly as possibly. Don't try to defend your honor against someone who obviously doesn't give a damn about it.

I've always found it real hard not to be a complete douche bag and rob someone of an experience by posting spoilerish things. It's just so tough.

Oh, wait. No it's not.

Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post
    I've always found it real hard not to be a complete douche bag and rob someone of an experience by posting spoilerish things. It's just so tough.

Oh, wait. No it's not.
    I did apologize that "I" spoiled it (others actually did before me) and I simply explained why I thought he knew about it and that's what he's calling me names for.

So what exactly is the spoiler again?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

if he understood that then he already knew it. you should update him every 10 minutes when the new episode comes on

Just assume that every character in Game of thrones will eventually die. Unless you don't like the character, and even then... Otherwise, they're all dead.

Honest question, is it possible that you are just considered the douche bag in the group and so they make up shit to pin on you to attempt to run you off. I have seen this technique used many times. The cool guys dodge the blame and the idiot gets pinned for it. Try saying about half of what you usually say in chat and go from there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because irl isn't an internet forum. Sometimes its better to just shut up for your own sake

Wowee, someone in Game of Thrones died? What a novel event!

Quote Originally Posted by Nadiru View Post
    Wowee, someone in Game of Thrones died? What a novel event!
    Shit, they're dropping like flies every episode, wait till you see the next one!

SPOILER.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

Deleted
    People don't like being wrong.

If they realise they are wrong, they start going for ad hominems.

In which case, you clearly won.

No, it does not make you a bad person and fuck anyone who says it does.

Quote Originally Posted by dwhitw2636 View Post
    Honest question, is it possible that you are just considered the douche bag in the group and so they make up shit to pin on you to attempt to run you off. I have seen this technique used many times. The cool guys dodge the blame and the idiot gets pinned for it. Try saying about half of what you usually say in chat and go from there.
    Doubt it since they usually keep trying to convince me to go to parties etc if I say that I'm not feeling like it. Never heard of that tactic before; sounds overly complicated.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    Because irl isn't an internet forum. Sometimes its better to just shut up for your own sake
    Well of course. I'm not saying that the discussion should be on the level of an internet forum but the thing is that they expect me to step down all the time. I even tried to end this thing with "since I can't convince you with screens you're probably right and there is no use arguing about this" and he gave about 6 lines of insults before the said "finally, it's ended"

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by OneWay View Post
    I can assure you that you are not. I had same shit when I was younger, now that I am a bit older, if someone is not going to listen or shuts me in any way - just a plain "fuck off" turn around and go my way. Not really going to argue if discussion feels like someone telling me what to do. Also, that "you are horrible idiotic person" is just an excuse to not listen what is right. Believe me.
    How old were you then and how old are you now if I may ask?

I don't understand how this is a spoiler... As far as I can tell it's a play on one of the characters names.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    So what exactly is the spoiler again?
    Hodor ho(lds) door enough for Daenerys's dragon to escape as that dragon was the only one that could help the white walker armies, now allied with Sansa, burn the army sent by Theon Greyjoy. The dragon eats him and then descends enough for that giant whose name I forgat to mount him and fly into the sunset. It would appear the giant actually tricked everyone as it knew dragon fire could resurrect the dead and he went to try and get his dead friends that died in the siege of the Wall last season.

It's clearly a spoiler and less than 48 hours after the episode is a little soon IMO. Of course there's no hard and fast rule on spoilers, and some people are ridiculous and complain about spoilers literally years after the release of a book/film, but less than two days after the episode airs is a little fast.

Maybe next time just wait a bit, although I'm not sure if someone who hasn't seen the episode would have figured things out before watching the episode...

I watched the episode yesterday night and people were all like OMG HODOR the morning after the show aired without actually giving away the spoiler, but it was enough for me to know what had happened, even without the details as to "how", because we ALL know what it means when people are super sad about a particular character after a GoT episode airs...