Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    people are becoming more and more offended here, and if these safe space things are real, i can see it happening here fairly soon.
    Tellin ya, if aliens ever invade us, all they need to do is insult a group of people to break them down in tears and win.

Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    serious question here, are safe spaces a real thing in colleges in America? or just something the internet made up?
    I have yet to actually see or know of an actual one existing, but I've seen students calling for them. I think there are actual ones for women that have become the proverbial safe spaces for feminists who are triggered even if the initial intent wasn't to be one.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nelinrah View Post
    No. She passed the discrimination investigation that was done. She is not being re-hired because of a routine tenure review.
    Because of the incident. Clearly you don't seem to know how the job world works especially with public scandal. I'm sure if George Zimmerman went to apply for a job and was 100% qualified and blew all of the other candidates out of the water he also would not be hired due to the "controversy". So please spare me this tenure review bs.

Quote Originally Posted by purebalance View Post
    Because of the incident. Clearly you don't seem to know how the job world works especially with public scandal. I'm sure if George Zimmerman went to apply for a job and was 100% qualified and blew all of the other candidates out of the water he also would not be hired due to the "controversy". So please spare me this tenure review bs.
    Public scandal? I don't recall ever hearing about the incident until now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cts53 View Post
    Apparently a group of people are now trying to make the world illegal a racist term, and replacing it with the ""I-word" >_>
    Pretty sure iWord is already owned by Apple. :-p

Anyway, it's sort of an off thing to say in a classroom, even if the discussion is heated, professors are well, professors, not students. They're supposed to moderate discussion, not inflame it. I'm not really sure what benefit came of her retort.

In any case, it's still pretty lame. She's a communications professor, I really couldn't give a shit a what her thoughts on are social issues.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Public scandal? I don't recall ever hearing about the incident until now.
    Because you don't go to KU.....

Public doesn't have to imply entire world, entire US, or even entire state. It can simply mean the local community. Please just stop and don't "try again".

- - - Updated - - -

Apparently a group of people are now trying to make the world illegal a racist term, and replacing it with the ""I-word" >_>
    There was a man/woman in college who a teacher tried to fail because she said in the syllabus they couldn't say illegal immigrant and he did in a paper. Thankfully the school overturned it.

Because you don't go to KU.....

Public doesn't have to imply entire world, entire US, or even entire state. It can simply mean the local community. Please just stop and don't "try again".
    Ok, whatever lets you feel victimized.

Ok, whatever lets you feel victimized.
    Sorry you seem to be feeling that enough for the rest of us since you can't see beyond your blind hatred.

Sorry you seem to be feeling that enough for the rest of us since you can't see beyond your blind hatred.
    Blind hatred of what exactly?

Oh well, play with fire and get burned. These policies are setup in such a way that no one can escape them forever, thus setting up everyone attempting to abide by them for a grand disillusionment.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

She used the word in a way to explain that racism still exists. Not in a derogatory or threatening way as far as I know.
    That's the opposite of what the article says. "she stated that while outward acts of racism had been reported at other campuses, she had NOT [emphasis mine] seen '(N-word) spray painted on walls at KU.'" The implication being that racism isn't that much of a thing, at least at KU. Agree or disagree with the premise as you will, her words are in literal opposition of what you thought she said.

A world without SJWs would be an Eutophia.

Instead we're heading for an authoritarian future where soon you'll be arrested for thought crimes...

/YAY!

Quote Originally Posted by Kantalope View Post
    So apparently you cannot have a discussion about a word that includes the word. Instead, we must pussyfoot around and call it the N-word, even in an audience made up entirely of educated adults (graduate students).
    Either that or she's pointing to one incident to play the victim card when there were other mitigating circumstances that commonly lead to non-renewal. Namely, by her own admission, "there were also concerns about her research productivity." Research is a big thing at universities. And did you read how she was trying to muck with her schedule in terms of research and teaching? And did you read about where there were plenty of complaints about her OUTSIDE of this incident? Sounds like she was let go for plenty of reasons, of which this one event may or may not have been a part. Regardless, had the incident NOT occurred, given everything else, I would not have been surprised at a non-renewal. And that's the key take away.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Daish View Post
    SJW's creating more hate towards innocent people
    Innocent? Did you not read the OP? By her own admission she wasn't doing what she was supposed to; i.e. completing an acceptable mix of teaching and research. That alone will get you dismissed. She is not "innocent" of anything other than not doing her job. Shock! Her contract wasn't renewed. She also got crappy reviews from students BEFORE this incident. It quite clearly states this as well in the article.

Quote Originally Posted by DSRilk View Post
    Innocent? Did you not read the OP? By her own admission she wasn't doing what she was supposed to; i.e. completing an acceptable mix of teaching and research. That alone will get you dismissed. She is not "innocent" of anything other than not doing her job. Shock! Her contract wasn't renewed. She also got crappy reviews from students BEFORE this incident. It quite clearly states this as well in the article.
    No,no, don't bring facts into this, you'll ruin their outrage.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Phayde View Post
    I hope the triggered students were provided safe spaces with crayons and stuffed animals, with grief counselors standing by.
    I hope they continue to release teachers that don't produce quality work in terms of either teaching or research.

- - - Updated - - -

Blind hatred of teachers that don't do the research required by their jobs? Hatred of teachers that get crappy reviews before any event like this ever comes to light? You know, like what was happening with this teacher.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably laying somewhere frozen and cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    Universities are not about education anymore, they are a for profit business just like the rest of the industry.
    It's been that way since the inception of paid for knowledge.

Which is why making education a business is folly.
    There are no worse scum in this world than fascists, rebels and political hypocrites.
    Donald Trump is only like Hitler because of the fact he's losing this war on all fronts.
    Apparently condemning a fascist ideology is the same as being fascist. And who the fuck are you to say I can't be fascist against fascist ideologies?
    If merit was the only dividing factor in the human race, then everyone on Earth would be pretty damn equal.

Good, don't like seeing someone lose their job, but it is what it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    Ah come on Granyala, there's several possible reasons for it. A few that would get us banned here like pointing out a deficite in his mental capacity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oktoberfest View Post
    Man I swear, every time someone uses the term 'Critical Thinking' I want to pop em in the mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by Bapestar View Post
    Good, don't like seeing someone lose their job, but it is what it is.
    How niggardly of you

Quote Originally Posted by Daish View Post
    SJW's have been calling her a racist
    she was not a racist
    thats a innocent person being targeted/punished by SJW's

"Several students filed racial harassment and discrimination complaints with KU’s Office of Institutional Opportunity and Access, which concluded in mid-March that Quenette had not violated the university’s nondiscrimination or racial and ethnic harassment policies."
    If that were why her contract wasn't renewed, we'd have something to talk about. Otherwise this is just some people complaining. Everyone gets that. I ran into this in the corporate world about 15 years ago - far before this "SJW" nonsense. Some people bitch and scream victim. This happens regardless of gender, race, or age in my experience. But again, that's not what drove her not being renewed. If you eliminate those students' complaints, she still would have lost her contract - she wasn't doing her job. She did ZERO on the research requirements and as far as teaching goes, she had complaints of all types about her actual abilities way before this event.

Either that or she's pointing to one incident to play the victim card when there were other mitigating circumstances that commonly lead to non-renewal. Namely, by her own admission, "there were also concerns about her research productivity." Research is a big thing at universities. And did you read how she was trying to muck with her schedule in terms of research and teaching? And did you read about where there were plenty of complaints about her OUTSIDE of this incident? Sounds like she was let go for plenty of reasons, of which this one event may or may not have been a part. Regardless, had the incident NOT occurred, given everything else, I would not have been surprised at a non-renewal. And that's the key take away.
    I'm not arguing whether she got fired for scandal or concerns about her productivity. I just think it's fucking ridiculous that when a professor is having a discussion with their educated students, it becomes a scandal when she quotes the word "Nigger."

I hope they continue to release teachers that don't produce quality work in terms of either teaching or research.
    And I agree, if she wasn't producing, that is basis not to renew her.