Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    People only care about critics, professional or not, when in agreement. If the embargo lifts and we see a flood of 7, 8, 9, or 10s and it becomes certified fresh or whatever then all the sudden Rotten Tomatoes is a reputable source and is jammed down the community's throat in much the same way we're seeing these threads pop up.

As for IMDB, I will say that it shouldn't be an entirely trusted source at this point because it allows anyone to rate and review the film. I know there have been early screenings but I doubt they're all from those who participated. I can literally go there, give it a 10, and regurgitate lore facts to make it seem like I saw the movie but that would be entirely misleading and me being a shit head. Unfortunately, I know a lot of folks who likely would do what I said above or the opposite but that's merely anecdotal.

At this point, all we're seeing from most posters are fringe dick measuring contests from both extremes by those who either love or hate the franchise too much. Underrating a movie by those who wish to see the movie fail because they have an axe to grind with Blizzard and overrating the movie because you have a raging erection for all-things Warcraft are both equally detrimental to the bottom line where the average viewer sits.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post

It's a 40% now on RT, but there's only five reviews. It may go up and it may go down, but just because a website says it's meh doesn't mean it will neccessarily be a bad movie.
    Once the reviews start coming in, the ratings don't go up dramatically although they can drop more. I expect 40% is as high as will see it. However, people do go to see films like these regardless of what reviewers think. Look at the Angry Bird film. It's at 42% and number one at the box office this week. I don't think Warcraft will be a smash hit but it probably will do well enough maybe even to generate sequels.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    What do you mean by that? People must not know it's a bad movie? Let's say for the sake of argument it is a bad movie... how do you plan to stop people from finding that out?
    Im not planning to influence anyone, im merely suggesting that we should go check it ourselves and not allow some critics to watch it for us, like it happened with A GREAT LOT of people when it comes to BvS.

Quote Originally Posted by Erathus View Post
    Im not planning to influence anyone, im merely suggesting that we should go check it ourselves and not allow some critics to watch it for us, like it happened with A GREAT LOT of people when it comes to BvS.
    Well... BvS WAS kind of crap so the critics were right. I'm not sure that's the angle you'd want to pursue further.

Quote Originally Posted by Erathus View Post
    BvS was legitimately bad, as both a stand alone movie and a hero movie. For all the reasons the critics said and more.
    World needs more Goblin Warriors https://i.imgur.com/WKs8aJA.jpg

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Teebone View Post
    Surprise level: 0.0%.

We all knew this was going to be a dud from the very beginning. It is a GAME MOVIE, they never ever ever ever ever ever ever turn out well.
    Where do people get this weird notion from? A video game movie curse? What the hell?

There have been plenty of good video game movies: Silent Hill, Resident Evil, Tomb Raider, Mortal Kombat, to name a few. All were succesfull enough to warant sequals.

I think there is some kind of collective delusion going on.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Toppy View Post
    BvS was legitimately bad, as both a stand alone movie and a hero movie. For all the reasons the critics said and more.
    Well in my book, Daredevil was legitimately not a better movie than BvS.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    Lots of circle jerking here -.-

People need to consider who the film is aimed at and what it wants to achieve. It's just meant to be entertainment and to get people to know warcraft. All these reviews with "arty" aspirations are missing the point.

Why are you so upset that some people dislike the movie though? Seems like you do care what other people think after all.
    I was expecting mixed reviews all along.
    Like I mentioned earlier, I honestly think some reviews shows a accurate representation of what some people who are unfamiliar with the warcraft universe would think whatching the movie. Let's be honest.
    Doesn't mean it's going to be a flop or anything, and like some of you have pointed out, it certainly won't make a difference to whether you'll like it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    NO SPOILERS ALLOWED UNLESS CENSORED.

Disclaimer: Just because the critics gave it a good/bad rating doesn't mean it'll be the same for you.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/warcraft/

10 Rotten Reviews

10 Fresh Reviews

Other Sites:
    Metacritic: 29% SN. They gave WoD a 9/10. Food for the thought.
    IMDb: 9/10
    Kotaku: Not Good
    From what I've seen, people that went to see it early loved it. Critics are otherwise mixed.

...That said, the negative reviews are laughably bad and childish. Are these supposed to be professionals?

Quote Originally Posted by Hardstyler01 View Post
    There have been plenty of good video game movies:
    Silent Hill
    Decent.

Resident Evil
    Not crap.
    Tomb Raider, Mortal Kombat
    I would put those in the so bad it's good category.

None of those are actually good, just not terribad.

15+ Year Old Account
    I've read some of those reviews and they mostly speak about irrelevant stuff. And well, most movie critics are snobs anyway and their opinions hardly ever align with those of normal people. Personally, I never really cared about movie critics and I enjoy most of the movies I go to see.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    There's been plenty of movies that were either critically praised and sucked or were disliked by critics and were masterpieces.

Remember Fightclub? The Shining? Bladerunner? Critics gave bad reviews when these movies first came out, but many recognize at least one of those films as a cinematic masterpiece.
    I very much agree. Sometimes critics just seem out of touch with reality.

The same thing happens in art. Looking back at the last few centuries, many painters were very poor and had trouble selling their paintings. Its wasn't until many years after their deaths that their work became well known and respected, valueing in the many millions.

Seems that a similar thing is happening to some movies. Sometimes critics are wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    What do you mean by that? People must not know it's a bad movie? Let's say for the sake of argument it is a bad movie... how do you plan to stop people from finding that out?
    Its was so bad that it still managed to rake over 800 mil $ in spite of the marvel shill critics.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thing with critics is.. well they're pretty much all telling from their subjective point of view. To get an idea if you will like a movie or not, you'll need to find a critic who've historically turned out to agree with your views, and also realise that none will of course 100% match yours.

For me it's MovieBob. Though I can really disagree with his reviews from time to time (I liked TASM 1 and the second one did not "break" me), I usually find that his perspective is on point with mine and thus I value his input.

An average of average meter like RT or user ratings on IMDB.. well it does give some indication, but it's nothing to get hung up on. I don't for example view The Shawshank Redemption as my favourite movie ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilija View Post
    I've read some of those reviews and they mostly speak about irrelevant stuff. And well, most movie critics are snobs anyway and their opinions hardly ever align with those of normal people. Personally, I never really cared about movie critics and I enjoy most of the movies I go to see.
    You can tell someone's a douchebag when he makes such an effort to conjure up a negative image that he incites Battlefield Earth for a high-fantasy film that has little in common with it. I literally, laughed out loud when I read that snippit. So the upside for me, right now, is the three that HAVE reviewed it negatively, did so like jackasses.

Quote Originally Posted by Vorkreist View Post
    Its was so bad that it still managed to rake over 800 mil $ in spite of the marvel shill critics.
    So we're down to conspiracies now?

Don't you want it to be good? All you care about is how many people will see it?

Deleted
    I don't need critics to tell me what I like and don't like. Shame that some sheeple here do.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by George Costanza View Post
    lol People are so salty about this.
    For some people, WoW is their life.
    This stigma didn't just appear out of nowhere

When you attack the movie, you attack their reason to live.

Kotaku review is weird, the writer says that he played everything but complains that the movie is too serious and miss the jokes? Even cited Pandarens lol

Talking about that, this is common on the most negative reviews, seens like they are expecting something funny like we have on Marvel movies or even only because it is about a game need to be silly - another common thing is that they think is about WoW and not Warcraft RTS games.

Two of the three negative reviews on Rotten Tomatoes are clickbaits from people who think Dragonball Evolution is a good movie... The third negative one (from John Hazelton) is a solid review, yet didn't called the movie bad. (at Metacritic is review is setted as mixed)

We know already that isn't a masterpiece, but is too early to say that is a disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by quikbunny View Post
    I don't need critics to tell me what I like and don't like. Shame that some sheeple here do.
    Yeah shame that some of us don't have the time to watch 500 movies a year and have to rely on others, whose jobs it is to watch and review movies, to recommend us some.