Minecraft's New Mario DLC Leads to Nintendo Copyright Claims on YouTube

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/min...GSS-05-10aaa0a

Nintendo is known to issue takedown notices of YouTube videos that feature its games--it created a Partners Program last year that allows certain users to post videos of its games for a slice of the ad revenue. However, it doesn't encompass all of Nintendo's games, and it certainly doesn't cover other developers' games. Regardless, that hasn't stopped the company from issuing copyright claims on Minecraft videos that focus on the free Super Mario Mash-Up Pack (via Ars Technica).

4J Studios, the developer behind the Super Mario crossover, responded on Twitter to the copyright claim reports and have said it's following up with Nintendo. The developer states that it was "assured this wouldn't happen." In an earlier tweet, 4J said that Nintendo was "going to investigate and resolve."

We've reached out to Nintendo about the copyright claims and will update this article as we receive more information.

When a user gets a copyright claim on a video, one of a few things can happen. Sometimes, the user can acknowledge it and let the revenue generated by ads go to the owner of the content used in the video. Other times, the video's audio can be removed until something is done to fix the issue. However, videos can also be taken down entirely without notice. If the user believes it's fair use and/or wrongly claimed, they can dispute and have it overturned. YouTube recently detailed changes to the Content ID system in a post on its blog.

Popular YouTuber Pewdiepie has criticized Nintendo's YouTube ad revenue policy in the past. He said that there would be no YouTubers without developers' games, but without YouTubers, they'd be missing out on "free exposure and publicity."

"What better way to sell/market a game, than from watching someone else (that you like) playing it and enjoying themselves?" he asked. " This is why a tiny one-man indie game like Minecraft could grow into a 2.5 billion dollar deal. That’s 2.5 billion… Made possible, largely because of the exposure it got from YouTube!"

You can read the rest of Pewdiepie's post here.

Xbox head Phil Spencer commented on Minecraft's Super Mario Mash-Up, saying "Partnership with Nintendo on this has been great. Nice to see Minecraft doing so well on the Wii U and to get the Mario content."
    Well Nintendo shit the bed again...

While I am all for Developers having the right to protect there IP and what not this is a bit stupid. Even more so if Nintendo outright said this wouldn't happen.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

If you don't protect your IP you can loose it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh, Nintendo. Why must you be so butthurt? You used to be so consumer-friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    The IP is protected and the DLC is official. Nintendo told 4J this would not happen.

This has shit to do with them protecting there IP. Like I said I am all for a company protecting there IP but this is just outright stupid.

It would help if you read more then the title.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2016-05-23 at 12:40 PM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    Did you not read the thread? This has zero to do with protecting your IP.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

10+ Year Old Account
    You know the Wii U proved that Nintendo's dedicated fanbase is nothing to be impressed by, so I think it's pretty foolish of them to be so strict with their games on Youtube. If you want to get the kids to play your games, then Youtube is the way to do it. Kids watch a shit ton of let's plays. Why do you think Minecraft is so big on Youtube?

Nintendo is so strange. They are ahead of their time in many ways, but so incredibly behind in others.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wasnt this whole issue analized not due to the "mario dlc" but the music being played on the videos? this "drama" was "solved" the same day it happened, stupid by nintendo (again), but hey, at least even Fox and the scumbag farlane is doing it too.
    Cod has a new campaign, new weapons, new multiplayer levels every year. Zelda has been recycling the same weapons, villains, and dungeons since the 80's. Zelda recycles enough to make cod blush. The same weapons, villains, dungeons, and princess in every single Zelda for the most part. It's almost as cheesy as bowser vs Mario round 35

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    You know the Wii U proved that Nintendo's dedicated fanbase is nothing to be impressed by, so I think it's pretty foolish of them to be so strict with their games on Youtube. If you want to get the kids to play your games, then Youtube is the way to do it. Kids watch a shit ton of let's plays. Why do you think Minecraft is so big on Youtube?

Nintendo is so strange. They are ahead of their time in many ways, but so incredibly behind in others.
    Kids are not watching "lets plays" Watching minecraft is not "watching lets plays". Lets also not confuse all the teenagers who watch pewdiepie and others as "kids".

An actual kid in most situations does not have the attention span to watch a damn let's play. How many shit phone games can you name that had no one playing them on youtube but blew up with kids? I can name a shit ton.

I'm all for claiming Nintendo could use youtube to their advantage, but claiming they need it to get "kids"? LOL. What they need to get kids attention is some shitty drop in drop out cell phone game becoming a hit and use it to advertise their other products.

Question: were these manual copyright strikes or was this YouTube automated copyright strike system shitting itself again, like it did with the Family Guy fiasco last week?

If it's the first, then we can blame Nintendo; if it's the second, then we can blame YouTube's shitty automated copyright system.

Deleted
    I dunno, man, "Nintendo" and "Mario", it's like saying "shit" and "garbage".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Kids are not watching "lets plays" Watching minecraft is not "watching lets plays". Lets also not confuse all the teenagers who watch pewdiepie and others as "kids".

An actual kid in most situations does not have the attention span to watch a damn let's play. How many shit phone games can you name that had no one playing them on youtube but blew up with kids? I can name a shit ton.

I'm all for claiming Nintendo could use youtube to their advantage, but claiming they need it to get "kids"? LOL. What they need to get kids attention is some shitty drop in drop out cell phone game becoming a hit and use it to advertise their other products.
    I have no way to prove that kids make up a large portion of the people who watch gaming videos, or at least I don't want to put the effort into looking into it. If you have proof to the contrary then by all means, but I doubt something like that exists. But I don't care enough about this topic to argue with you about it.

As for your whole mobile game thing, I agree. Mobile games would probably help them quite a bit with the younger audience, but that's not what this thread is about. This is about Nintendo and Youtube. If this was a thread about what Nintendo could do to get in with the kids then yeah, I'd mention mobile games, but it's not so lets keep it on topic.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zubaja View Post
    Oh, Nintendo. Why must you be so butthurt? You used to be so consumer-friendly.
    I kinda wish more companies refused to show content on youtube, streamers and youtubers featuring content is one of the major reasons developers are getting away with releasing shit games...a youtuber purchases it and it instantly brings in huge amounts of cash despite it being shit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeilon View Post
    I kinda wish more companies refused to show content on youtube, streamers and youtubers featuring content is one of the major reasons developers are getting away with releasing shit games...a youtuber purchases it and it instantly brings in huge amounts of cash despite it being shit.
    Wha ??? That only works with five nights at freddys. In reality depending on game youtube presence can either hurt the game (in case of games like brothers tale of two sons), or in case of games with replayability (like terraria or binding of isaac) help developer alot. But im not sure how it generates alot of money for "shit" games.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    Wha ??? That only works with five nights at freddys. In reality depending on game youtube presence can either hurt the game (in case of games like brothers tale of two sons), or in case of games with replayability (like terraria or binding of isaac) help developer alot. But im not sure how it generates alot of money for "shit" games.
    Pretty sure Pewdiepie has made quite a few shitty horror games financially successful just by playing them.

A popular youtuber can def make a shit game successful, albeit it's more rare then them simply helping out an above average to good game.

I don't see how this is causing rage against Nintendo, it seems extremely clear it was accidental, since Nintendo said they weren't going to do this and that they were looking into it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Copyright laws are so convoluted it gets hard to decide who is being the biggest dick when it comes to dispute. Mind you most people don't know whats its to have copyrighted material.

Logwyn said it, if you don't protect you IP then you lose it.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

I've seen some mario minecraft videos on youtube that weren't removed, I'm thinking it was an error, espeically considering nintendo tweeted about the mario mod when it was released.
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

Quote Originally Posted by Symphonic View Post
    I've seen some mario minecraft videos on youtube that weren't removed, I'm thinking it was an error, espeically considering nintendo tweeted about the mario mod when it was released.
    Nintendo does not remove videos.

They put monetary claims on them. In regards to the MC videos being hit with monetary claims it was a mistake based on their automated systems.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Pretty sure Pewdiepie has made quite a few shitty horror games financially successful just by playing them.

A popular youtuber can def make a shit game successful, albeit it's more rare then them simply helping out an above average to good game.
    And a popular one can make obscure titles shine, totalbiscuit introduced me to tons of indie games i wouldn't have even looked at before.
    Cod has a new campaign, new weapons, new multiplayer levels every year. Zelda has been recycling the same weapons, villains, and dungeons since the 80's. Zelda recycles enough to make cod blush. The same weapons, villains, dungeons, and princess in every single Zelda for the most part. It's almost as cheesy as bowser vs Mario round 35