Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alski View Post
    As someone who played from Vanilla to cata, if i had a choice i would go for a TBC server.
    I'm inclined to agree, I think TBC brought some really great experiences and delivered them optimally. There might be a few things I would have changed but overall it was pretty solid. I especially liked that all raids were available and it was a linear progression in difficulty.

Artwork created by Yochi
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveRocks View Post
    I personally find watching game streamers to be the lowest, saddest form of loneliness.

As you can see everyone has their own opinion here.

I'd say that WotLK and TBC were the two best expansions.
    TBC fixed a lot of issues Vanilla had, and was quite amazing, while maintaining the old "spirit" of the game.
    While WotLK did start a change of mentality, it made the game more playable, and enjoyable for a large portion of people, while still being hard and competetive enough.

But from a pure raiding point of view, the encounters design, the raiding philosophy - WotLK was by far the best.
    Ulduar was the best raid I have encountered in WoW. Hardmodes seemed like a brilliant idea. You know not a switch that you just make before the raid, but doing the same encounter differently.. I loved it.
    And then IC came, and while I still would rate Ulduar to be the best raid - IC would be a very close second. And lorewise that was the most awesome raid in the whole game for me.

Vanilla was new and exciting as it was something completely new. But TBC and WotLK really brought the experience on another level.
    So if someone told me - ok we are going to erase your memory and let you play on a Vanilla server - I'd be glad to do it (and if that server than changed to TBC and then to WotLK that would be fucking cool).
    But for pure replayability I'd rather have WotLK or TBC.

Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    The title of this thread should be "Do you want a blue unicorn or a green unicorn?" because there's no tangible possibility of either version of these Legacy realms happening.
    That's not true anymore. They wouldn't be having the meetings if they weren't willing to at least consider it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by swagster View Post
    WotLK was the sweet spot. From pvp to pve, from hardcore to casual. Patch 3.3.5 was icing on the cake.

Shifting away from WotLK formula was a huge mistake, WotLK literally pleased everybody and that's why it had over 12 million subscribers, I don't remember disliking anything, it simply was the best.

From the dialogue and the background story, the music, the atmosphere, villain and artwork. Everything fits perfectly. The gameplay was good and the community really was different in Wrath. There was no LFR. No cross-realm zones.

Naxx, ICC, Ulduar, TOC, the chopper, the mammoths, beautiful zones with amazing musical ambience and great quest lines. Wintergrasp was fun, VoA was a neat way to gear up, especially for alts.

The accessibility ICC had was amazing, you could pug it and still down things because Ventrilo etc.

I can honestly say I haven't even had half the amount of fun in the game as I did in wrath. Chain running dungeons back then was a blast. the 10 man raid was fun and manageable with a group of friends. It was a total blast. Pugs were amazing.

Class mechanics were a lot more fun, warriors in particular, stance dancing made them incredibly fun.

There was a lot of class uniqueness, not everyone had interrupts, not everyone had dispel protection, unfortunately Blizzard ruined everything with their "Bring the Player Not the Class" philosophy.
    Because you start at the beginning. I'm sure once they do Vanilla, they'll do BC, then wrath, etc.
    "Do you think man will ever walk on the sun? -Ali G

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    What was there besides raiding in vanilla? Some dungeon action and PvP, that's it.
    I haven't even gotten to raid in vanilla, and still had a blast playing it for over a year. I also felt the same enjoyment when I played on Nostalrius, its just me really enjoying walking in a huge open world with other people and feel immersed. Retail shouldn't be focussing to much on raiding imo, its whats me and probably putting a lot of other people off from the game.

Listening to people's tales of nostalrius nostalgia are like hearing people talk about how great pokemon red was when they didn't pass the sleeping snorlax in the road.

Being entranced by the leveling content and not experiencing max level content? lol. I'm sure heavy petting is TONS better than intercourse for yall too

I would rather have a progression server that replicated the original experience. Vanilla->Burning Crusade->Wrath. Once Wrath was complete (and the story most people cared about died), they could restart the entire process from day 1. You'd have replayability, progression, and a way to cater to a huge demographic rather than just have separate servers for different expansions that divide the community based on what expansion they liked the most.

Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    The game is a lot more then just raiding.
    What else was in the game besides raiding and PvP in Classic? Not much. There are more things to do now (and in the last three expansions as you decided to argue) than there was in the first three expansions.

Quote Originally Posted by sanchoz View Post
    I would rather have a progression server that replicated the original experience. Vanilla->Burning Crusade->Wrath. Once Wrath was complete (and the story most people cared about died), they could restart the entire process from day 1.
    Yes, because replaying the same three expansions and having to restart your account at the end of the chain is fun!

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    There seems to be a strange attribution of 'game quality' with 'subscription numbers'.
    I'd argue that marketing has far more to do with it, especially considering the substantial number of celebrity 'WoW player' advertisements that came around that point in time.

Quote Originally Posted by RedGamer030 View Post
    What else was in the game besides raiding and PvP in Classic? Not much. There are more things to do now (and in the last three expansions as you decided to argue) than there was in the first three expansions.

Yes, because replaying the same three expansions and having to restart your account at the end of the chain is fun!
    Thank god for garrisons and pet battles, right?

Quote Originally Posted by RedGamer030 View Post

you act as if replaying the same three expansions is something most people will do numerous times. those three expansions were over the space of multiple years. people will do it probably once, if that. people just want to recapture a way to experience the game in its original glory which is what that will achieve. if people are sentimental about their characters then at the end of that process they can transfer the character to their main account

Blizzard are never going to create a multitude of different legacy servers from different expansions and from different patches and let people play them in that state for eternity

Quote Originally Posted by Nefroz View Post
    correlation does not equal causation. LFD came out with Icc the last raid of the expansion which meant content drough (no content for a year till cata preparch). Which always causes subs to drop. Which happens to be more plausible people wuit because oh no now ican get dungeon pugs faster? perposterous! or hey no content after i clear icc maybe i should save 12 months of 15 dollar payments.
    Subscriber numbers were lower every quarter after.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PassingBy View Post
    As you can see everyone has their own opinion here.

I'd say that WotLK and TBC were the two best expansions.
    TBC fixed a lot of issues Vanilla had, and was quite amazing, while maintaining the old "spirit" of the game.
    While WotLK did start a change of mentality, it made the game more playable, and enjoyable for a large portion of people, while still being hard and competetive enough.

But from a pure raiding point of view, the encounters design, the raiding philosophy - WotLK was by far the best.
    Ulduar was the best raid I have encountered in WoW. Hardmodes seemed like a brilliant idea. You know not a switch that you just make before the raid, but doing the same encounter differently.. I loved it.
    And then IC came, and while I still would rate Ulduar to be the best raid - IC would be a very close second. And lorewise that was the most awesome raid in the whole game for me.

Vanilla was new and exciting as it was something completely new. But TBC and WotLK really brought the experience on another level.
    So if someone told me - ok we are going to erase your memory and let you play on a Vanilla server - I'd be glad to do it (and if that server than changed to TBC and then to WotLK that would be fucking cool).
    But for pure replayability I'd rather have WotLK or TBC.
    Yes, the story of Arthus is grand. It should have been the WoW movie, for it to be successful, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by KrayZee View Post
    Nostalgia and on top of that, people are somewhat stupid.

They don't remember how bad Vanilla was compared to now (and the early expansions)... endless grinding, endless amounts of work you have to put into the game before you can do the things you actually enjoy, broken class design, extremely boring and poorly designed raid bosses and so on.
    They believe they can relive the time where absolutely every pixel they saw was "new", but that's not true anymore.
    The negative stuff outweights the positive ones by *alot*, especially in the QoL department.

Personally, I'd like to have WotLK's raid design back though...in my opinion, WotLK had content for absolutely everyone, even the filthiest casuals had a raid tier that wasn't as ridiculous as LFR, 25/10 nHC was alot better tuned for them than 10+ "flex" is now.
    I agree with this 100%. Wall st. style raiding in classic and BC was getting ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    Ah, the "you didn't really play vanilla argument". I think you just broke the internet with originality.

So once again what are those things that you can't find in WoW today? They better not be some mundane crap but actually meaningful and interesting content. You can cross out things like hunters having mana, weapon skills and so on from your list right away.
    This is just a narrow minded view if you aren't being purposely obtuse. It's like saying that both WoD and Vanilla have leveling so Vanilla doesn't offer anything new. When in reality leveling then and now are entirely different experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by Vineri View Post
    Subscriber numbers were lower every quarter after.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, the story of Arthus is grand. It should have been the WoW movie, for it to be successful, IMO.
    Read my above post when it comes to every quarter afterwards, the game has been 1 step forwards 2 steps back in wotlk.
    Quote Originally Posted by CrossNgen View Post
    Blizzard are currently making a gap between skillfull casuals, and skillfull hardcores, because, lets be honest here, you don't need skill to go up into raiding, just basic knowledge, casual players are currently blocked by this huge wall, this wall is called the time sink wall, which is NOT what the casuals want.

Quote Originally Posted by T18Z View Post
    Thank god for garrisons and pet battles, right?
    "Just because there is content you do not like, does not mean there is no content." Thank Elune for common sense, right?

Deleted
    That's the big thing. They do think they want but they don't.
    Blizzard reigns supreme over them till now. Like a great one over the small fry. I love how they accept responses based on very basic Freud.

Quote Originally Posted by sanchoz View Post
    you act as if replaying the same three expansions is something most people will do numerous times. those three expansions were over the space of multiple years. people will do it probably once,
    Yes, and the cries of content droughts between the years will be no different than it is now. I can hear it... They say "RELEASE THE NEXT EXPANSION ALREADY!"

I think people want WotLK, they just want to start from the beginning and experience it all.
    Quote Originally Posted by TCGamer View Post
    If I had the cash to pay a DDoSer, I would in a heartbeat. Especially with the way the anti-legacy crowd has been attacked by the pro-legacy crowd day in and day out.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by swagster View Post
    WotLK was the sweet spot. From pvp to pve, from hardcore to casual. Patch 3.3.5 was icing on the cake.

Shifting away from WotLK formula was a huge mistake, WotLK literally pleased everybody and that's why it had over 12 million subscribers, I don't remember disliking anything, it simply was the best.

From the dialogue and the background story, the music, the atmosphere, villain and artwork. Everything fits perfectly. The gameplay was good and the community really was different in Wrath. There was no LFR. No cross-realm zones.

Naxx, ICC, Ulduar, TOC, the chopper, the mammoths, beautiful zones with amazing musical ambience and great quest lines. Wintergrasp was fun, VoA was a neat way to gear up, especially for alts.

The accessibility ICC had was amazing, you could pug it and still down things because Ventrilo etc.

I can honestly say I haven't even had half the amount of fun in the game as I did in wrath. Chain running dungeons back then was a blast. the 10 man raid was fun and manageable with a group of friends. It was a total blast. Pugs were amazing.

Class mechanics were a lot more fun, warriors in particular, stance dancing made them incredibly fun.

There was a lot of class uniqueness, not everyone had interrupts, not everyone had dispel protection, unfortunately Blizzard ruined everything with their "Bring the Player Not the Class" philosophy.
    If they were ever to diversify themselves into creating a "Legacy" server it would have to consist of all the classic and burning crusade content data and code from prior to the end of burning crusade and don't go and say that resource is gone forever cause we all know when data is created it always leaves a backup digital signature in case it ever wants to make a return. would have to consist of at least 6 servers due to the popularity of the issue the server name is up to whoever pursues the idea would have to be two of each types rp. pvp. and pve. what say you?
    You can't take what ya can't see... *rolls d20* You rolled a natural 20* The skill of stealth is successful.

Duelingnexus name: Jaina1337
    Blizzard Battle Tag: Jaina1337#1396