Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Overwatch not for casuals

With Overwatch encouraging team play, I feel like it doesn't cater to casual players. If you have a group of friends you can really dominate and I think Blizzard is trying to market this game towards e-sports. If you want a quick game, after the game matures a little, you're going to get dominated by pre-made groups.

Challenge is what makes the game fun. FPS in the 00s were challenging and weren't meant for everyone and their grandfather to play. You had to practice and gain skill.
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

10+ Year Old Account
    If people can't handle quick play, then they should try out Arcade, that is a load of fun and very casual type play.

Quick play will probably get a lot more casual once ranked comes online.

There's also a vs. AI mode if you want something easier than playing against actual people.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aori View Post
    If people can't handle quick play, then they should try out Arcade, that is a load of fun and very casual type play.
    isn't that just a weekly thing, and the mode will change weekly? when i tried in the beta it was something like all random heroes, and new hero after each death.

If the quick mode is as you say, I will have to try it out. I think that changes weekly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    isn't that just a weekly thing, and the mode will change weekly? when i tried in the beta it was something like all random heroes, and new hero after each death.
    Ya it changes, this week it is Brawl, double HP, double cooldown speed (I think) its a lot of fun.

Casuals in premades on skype can do just fine in this game. The only people fucked by the cancerous matchmaking are solo players of any skill level.

Yeah... really not as casual friendly as one might think. Which might actually be good for all of those complaining about 'casualization' in Blizzard games. Solo que groups should never be matched against premade teams. And the whole rock paper scissors hero balancing and needing to swap heroes to even start at a level playing field against more experienced opponents is just to much to expect for everybody to learn.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lery View Post
    With Overwatch encouraging team play, I feel like it doesn't cater to casual players. If you have a group of friends you can really dominate and I think Blizzard is trying to market this game towards e-sports. If you want a quick game, after the game matures a little, you're going to get dominated by pre-made groups.
    Its a good thing we have you to tell the rest of us who Blizzard's game is made for!
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Deleted
    is there any way of telling in this game who is a premade and who isnt? ive only played solo, dont have any friends that game on PC so im suck playing solo.

Played with a bunch of friends last night, did well. Previously we've played together and gotten schooled. All depends.

There is more to OW than meets the eye though, that much is true.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Meh, in solo quick games you really roll the dice and that works for some people. An ace player can really pull a team across the finish line and make up for a lack of players with skill. You are going to bang your head in stupid from time to time but that's the risk you take playing with a random group button.

Just don't use the random group button and bitch that you got a random team of random skilled players instead of the best of the best.

Quote Originally Posted by StationaryHawk View Post
    There's also a vs. AI mode if you want something easier than playing against actual people.
    The A.I. on the hardest difficulty are actually pretty good. Better than some players, even.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Deleted
    Playing against the AI is retarded. Perfect autoaim, instant aiming... Who the hell wants that kind of crap.

just tried the brawl for first time was fun with 1 second jump cooldown on winston. LE MONKEY KING LIVES!

The game is only a few days old; it's clear that some people played in open/closed beta and/or did a lot of research while some have no idea whatsoever. I've played most of my games solo and honestly it comes down to whether you work as a group or not (if you can get 4 of your 6 to do so you can probably do alright, even if they aren't the best). I've used the 'group up' emote a shitload of times to try and get people to stop going in solo while the rest of the group is dead or coming back. I've definitely run into a few organized teams (sometimes my own team) and the outcome is generally a slaughter.

But often it's just lack of coordination which is in a way unfair to expect when most players are still learning the game or trying to get better at a hero. When things balance out more and people get better (there will alway be n00bs) I think the matches will get much more balanced. I also see a lot of ults being used at completely dumb times (and I must say I'm guilty of this) and good use of them obviously can turn a game around fairly quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by PBitt View Post
    The game is only a few days old; it's clear that some people played in open/closed beta and/or did a lot of research while some have no idea whatsoever. I've played most of my games solo and honestly it comes down to whether you work as a group or not (if you can get 4 of your 6 to do so you can probably do alright, even if they aren't the best). I've used the 'group up' emote a shitload of times to try and get people to stop going in solo while the rest of the group is dead or coming back. I've definitely run into a few organized teams (sometimes my own team) and the outcome is generally a slaughter.

But often it's just lack of coordination which is in a way unfair to expect when most players are still learning the game or trying to get better at a hero. When things balance out more and people get better (there will alway be n00bs) I think the matches will get much more balanced. I also see a lot of ults being used at completely dumb times (and I must say I'm guilty of this) and good use of them obviously can turn a game around fairly quickly.
    Well also the lack of a ranked mode and this soon after launch leads to some really one sided games. Everyone is just being thrown together into this big jumbled ball of matchmaking. This happens at launch of basically any game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    From my perspective it is an uncle who was is a "simple" slat of the earth person, who has religous beliefs I may or may not fully agree with, but who in the end of the day wants to go hope, kiss his wife, and kids, and enjoy their company.
    Connal defending child molestation

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lery View Post
    Fully pre-made groups (6 players) have (I believe) a separate queue. You have as much chance, as a solo player, of getting put into a match with a 5-man team as you do against that 5-man team. And it generally tries to prefer matching premades against premades.

It may just be that the matchmaking system has little to work with, yet. I've had some matches (as a solo queuer) where we got rolled over, HARD, and others where we were the ones rolling. Nothing particularly well-organized, just decent play, against a clearly less-experienced team.

And I really disagree with this disincentivizing "casual" players. My definition of "casual" is "doesn't want to make a job of perfecting their play with dozens of hours of playtime a week". That doesn't mean they aren't skilled players looking to improve.

If you want a game where you can just faff about and do your "thing", any competitive online game won't be "casual enough" for you. Because most players aren't like that, and will play to win.