Page 28 of 128 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Son of Sniglet View Post

Its almost as if the shitty movies get shitty reviews.

- - - Updated - - -

Im sure the warcraft fanboys are the authority on what makes a good movie
    No. The general audience are. Highbrow critics are total snobs and shit on anything that's not Marvel, Disney, etc. The general audience? They aren't paid to do reviews. They aren't bribed to say something good or bad. They'll go and see it and they'll come out and tell you what they actually thought it was like.
    Quit sucking on critic dick and see the movie so you can judge it for yourself. Quit being so mindless buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    I'm waiting to decide if I'm going to see it until after I more fan and general movie-goer reviews come in, but it does seem like Blizzard and DJ missed at least one bet: rather that going either the Marvel (Iron Man) route and making a really tight and focused movie, or the LotR-FotR route and giving viewers a movie-long introduction to the world, they threw in an awful lot of stuff on a big roll of the dice. (Now, I get that there's still a whole ton of stuff left they haven't even touched on, but it seems a little like they're so eager to tell all these stories and build a huge franchise, that they may not have stopped long enough to tell their first story and actually do the foundation-building. Which would be a pity if it fails for those reasons.)
    Iron Man was a bit of a gamble for Marvel but LotR was designed with a trilogy in mind, so the exposition in FotR is a luxury DJ didn't have when making Warcraft. Again, not a defense of a poor script but something to consider when comparing the movie to others in a similar genre.

Quote Originally Posted by Greathoudini View Post
    No. The general audience are. Highbrow critics are total snobs and shit on anything that's not Marvel, Disney, etc. The general audience? They aren't paid to do reviews. They aren't bribed to say something good or bad. They'll go and see it and they'll come out and tell you what they actually thought it was like.
    Quit sucking on critic dick and see the movie so you can judge it for yourself. Quit being so mindless buddy.
    yeah because if the critics actually liked this garbage you would be all up their ass

but no lets blame disney for shitty warcraft reviews

LAWL so funny

When it comes to fan franchise films scores can be interpreted with a few adjustments.
    Take the standard rotten tomatoes review score.
    add 20% if you like the genre.
    add 20% if you like the franchise and are likely to understand things the average watcher wouldn't.
    add 20% if you will like it even if it was a turd with the name stamped on it.
    minus 50% if can spot an obvious cash cow and will feel disappointing when you realise they hyped you into going.

10+ Year Old Account
    Foreign reviewers and moviegoers seem to like the film. A top Danish newspaper even regarded it as one of the best fantasy films made.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Heltoray View Post
    the fanboyism is so strong here.. you guys would even defend this movie if it was the absolute worst movie in history. Not every bad critic is unjustified and there is usually some truth to what a good portion of reviews conclude.
    1) We can't evaluate something we haven't seen
    2) The problem isn't that some reviews are bad. The problem is those bad reviews are dumb and don't make any sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilija View Post
    1) We can't evaluate something we haven't seen
    2) The problem isn't that some reviews are bad. The problem is those bad reviews are dumb and don't make any sense.
    typical...its wrong when it doesn't go your way. Film is utter shit, unless you are a fanboi.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ShaanuJaanu View Post
    typical...its wrong when it doesn't go your way. Film is utter shit, unless you are a fanboi.
    Have you seen the film and could attest that it is a terrible movie?

I was an Avatar: the Last Airbender fanboy and I found the Last Airbender film to be absolutely horrendous. I am a comics fanboy (particularly Batman) and I found Batman v. Superman to be god awful. I grew up watching and loving Transformers and I never saw any other Transformers film past the second one just because they are so terrible. Just because someone is a fan of something doesn't make them blind to film quality.

What many people here are saying is that:
    1.) They would rather see it for themselves first before making any judgment calls.
    2.) There are only a handful of reviews.
    3.) Like me, I look at reviews in other places too like foreign movie review sites (where a good amount of them actually praise the film. It seems to only be American reviewers who aren't too fond of it.)
    4.) They would also rather want to hear it from other movie goers rather than just relying on a reviewer's point of view.
    5.) I am going to give it a shot. I have seem terrible films before, I won't mind watching Warcraft, terrible or not.
    Last edited by Jademist; 2016-05-26 at 03:16 PM.

I don't know whether it is going to be good or bad, but I'll give it a chance. $12 and a few hours on a Friday wouldn't be the end of the world to lose if it is awful. Just don't go expecting it to be amazing no matter what.

15+ Year Old Account
    Except noone is saying they are wrong. People are saying the bad reviews don't make sense and talk about some outlandish stuff. Noone who hasn't seen the movie yet isn't saying anything about it being bad or good. All that comes from this topic is that people are skeptical about movie critics because they are mostly disconnected from reality.

Deleted
    Can anybody (who watched it ofc) tell me how this compares to Avatar ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilija View Post
    Except noone is saying they are wrong. People are saying the bad reviews don't make sense and talk about some outlandish stuff. Noone who hasn't seen the movie yet isn't saying anything about it being bad or good. All that comes from this topic is that people are skeptical about movie critics because they are mostly disconnected from reality.
    Many critics praised Star Wars Episode VII. In fact, majority of them did. As for my friends and family...many of them disliked the film because it felt unoriginal. I loved the film.

I'd rather trust my personal opinion on things or the opinions of friends and family who share the same movie tastes.

Thats kinda funny being that true fans of something are more critical than anyone else.
    Most, if not all, the resident evils are horrid, yet we still watch them.

Your comment sounds more like a fuckboi problem.

The one problem with the movie is too much media hype. I feel like I have seen the movie already with all the videos that have released. I'm waiting for someone to put all the released videos together in one video.

You have to take these reviews with a grain of salt. Plenty of movies showed a low rating, that I ended up enjoying very much. For example, Star Wars.

Deleted
    I pretty much never read review of movies. Critics usually think of all the wrong things.. Too much green on this scene, I didn't like the lightning in that scene, I went to bathroom and missed something and so on..

I rather see the movie myself and then judge. I have seen so shitty movies, that even if Warcraft was super bad, I would still enjoy it
    Last edited by mmoc5d474861aa; 2016-05-26 at 03:53 PM.

The role-playing video game ‘World of Warcraft’ was a clunky Frankenstein thing, cobbled together from the most obvious parts of countless fantasy franchises. So a certain level of respect is due to ‘Moon’ director Duncan Jones for attempting to inject new life – and a hint of relevance – into this tired, so-last-decade concern. Sadly, his best intentions aren’t enough: like its ten-foot anti-heroes the orcs, ‘Warcraft’ is noisy, lumbering and not terribly bright.

Much of the problem lies with the cast – Travis Fimmel is a walking charisma void as strapping warrior Anduin, a sort of Aragorn without the personal charm (Aragormless?). He’s the land of Azeroth’s best hope against those murderous, dimension-hopping orcs, and he’s backed by a plucky band of equally forgettable white dudes with bad hair: Dominic Cooper as well-meaning dullard King Llayne, Ben Schnetzer from ‘Pride’ as trainee wizard Khadgar and Ben Foster, totally misused as the magical Guardian.
    Is it just me or do these critics all seem to have some sort of disdain or bias towards the Warcraft franchise?

Also, how can you misuse Medivh? From what I've heard, Medivh seems to be nearly the same as the in-game lore Medivh in terms of story.

Deleted
    I have avoided seeing any trailers but I have seen a lot of spoiler free reviews. So far the movie seems to be exactly what I want. Not the saving grace off all video game movies, but a good solid movie with plenty of fan candy.

I think going into this expecting the next lotr is the first mistake you can make. This is not supposed to be some grand Oscar winning critics movie with the st dramatic actors in the world crying their hearts out 24/7.

If you Go intuitivt thinking its the summer fantasy blockbuster i Think you are closer to the mark. A movie made for fans, NOT critics.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    Is it just me or do these critics all seem to have some sort of disdain or bias towards the Warcraft franchise?

Also, how can you misuse Medivh? From what I've heard, Medivh seems to be nearly the same as the in-game lore Medivh in terms of story.
    The hate towards Warcraft in the review you quiltede os so obvious that the entire review becomes vold :/
    That is just so uprofessionel

The movie is AWESOME. If you're hopping for a movie of a game you love burn, you're a moron. Even stupider if you've not seem the movie and believe in "critics" that are not gamers, are biased towards movies based on games, and have never played a Warcraft game. If you're letting that kind of people judge a movie based on something you like and are a fan, I seriously hope you die, since you have no opinion of your own, and are useless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgMSn9jOdCo

I love how butthurt people seem to be that yet another videogame movie turned out to be complete shit.

"Wah, the critics don't know anything! They're just snobs!"

Or maybe, they're people who watch enough movies to be able to tell a bad one. This is the kind of movie that goes to Netflix about a month after it comes out on DVD. It's not going to make its money back, it's not going to create a huge number of new players, and that's it as far as the trilogy goes. Get over it. You can still like it, just be aware that anybody who doesn't love Warcraft already is going to hate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmist View Post
    I love how butthurt people seem to be that yet another videogame movie turned out to be complete shit.

"Wah, the critics don't know anything! They're just snobs!"

Or maybe, they're people who watch enough movies to be able to tell a bad one. This is the kind of movie that goes to Netflix about a month after it comes out on DVD. It's not going to make its money back, it's not going to create a huge number of new players, and that's it as far as the trilogy goes. Get over it. You can still like it, just be aware that anybody who doesn't love Warcraft already is going to hate it.
    Let me quote this again.

The role-playing video game ‘World of Warcraft’ was a clunky Frankenstein thing, cobbled together from the most obvious parts of countless fantasy franchises. So a certain level of respect is due to ‘Moon’ director Duncan Jones for attempting to inject new life – and a hint of relevance – into this tired, so-last-decade concern. Sadly, his best intentions aren’t enough: like its ten-foot anti-heroes the orcs, ‘Warcraft’ is noisy, lumbering and not terribly bright.

Much of the problem lies with the cast – Travis Fimmel is a walking charisma void as strapping warrior Anduin, a sort of Aragorn without the personal charm (Aragormless?). He’s the land of Azeroth’s best hope against those murderous, dimension-hopping orcs, and he’s backed by a plucky band of equally forgettable white dudes with bad hair: Dominic Cooper as well-meaning dullard King Llayne, Ben Schnetzer from ‘Pride’ as trainee wizard Khadgar and Ben Foster, totally misused as the magical Guardian.
    And what do you mean that anybody who doesn't love Warcraft already is going to hate it? How the fuck do you know what millions of people think? Are you come sort of population mind-reader or some shit?