Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TrigglyPuff View Post
    I am sure in the statistical analysis of getting recipes from professional chefs uploading their cooking techniques and fully showing you the before and after of their recipe, versus randomly getting cooking tips from a website about Warcraft, tends to heavily favor the professional chefs.

I wasn't attempting to be negative or snarky, just letting you know of the vast amount of options on youtube that will probably help you cook this steak.
    I tried several of them in the past months. I am trying to learn how to cook steaks. They often end up disastrously.

Deleted
    The following infographic is pretty well made for how you should prepare and cook steaks: http://imgur.com/gallery/cPTAVE8

15+ Year Old Account
    High heat, quick fry on both sides (like, 2 minutes tops in imo), put aside to rest for a few minutes. Brown on the outside, red and juicy on the inside. Mmm.

There are many ways, and they all claim it's the best method. I'm not sure, because I haven't found a PERFECT way of doing it myself. I think the majority likes their steaks medium or medium rare, which means a pink or red center. And for a tenderloin you just want a fry it in a fairly hot pan, a few minutes on both sides. And when you are done, let it rest for a like 5-10 minutes. If you cut it right away, the juices will pour out. Many prefer just salt and pepper, but I use garlic and thyme as well, to get some good broth you can use as sauce itself or add to another sauce. If you have a steak with a lot of fat, like an entrecote, I prefer to do a low'n slow cooking, like "sous vide", to make sure that all the fat is broken down and that the meat is tender. After I've prepared it in my sous vide circulator, I give it a quick searing on my grill or pan, just for the crust. This is a little more work, but it's easier and the results are guaranteed. Look into buying one if you want perfectly prepared meat with no chef skills, like myself
    Mother pus bucket!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    High heat, quick fry on both sides (like, 2 minutes tops in imo), put aside to rest for a few minutes. Brown on the outside, red and juicy on the inside. Mmm.
    This guy knows his shit but I rather 1min - 1min 30sec depending on thickness for sirloin/scotch fillet/porterhouse
    I may not agree with what you say but I will fight to the death to defend your right to say it.

Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    The following infographic is pretty well made for how you should prepare and cook steaks: http://imgur.com/gallery/cPTAVE8
    According to this inforgraphic, do I need extra olive oil in the pan? Or the rubbed oil is enough for frying?

--

By thew ay, thnx for the help folks, I appreciate.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bushtuckrman View Post
    edit: I just read you said you did this for 30min. What the fuck man?!? Mate I am 34 years old and have cooked all my adult life and I cook well because I don't eat shit. I say this because I recommend you PM'ing me if you want some realistic tips on how to cook food, not just steak but pretty much whatever you fancy because tbh mate your attempt at cooking steak is worse than my wifes attempt when we first met and I didn't think that was possible!
    Thanks mate. I will when I am in need of tips . I never cook stuff, so I am a terrible cook.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    I tried several of them in the past months. I am trying to learn how to cook steaks. They often end up disastrously.
    Aight, I hope it turns out great. I love cooking myself, and often been left frustrated getting techniques down, but stick with it, because nothing tastes better than mastering and cooking really great foods.

Quote Originally Posted by Vargulf View Post
    ohhhh, thats your opinion. i see. i thought i was actually doing something wrong for a sec. cool, have a good one dude
    No you are absolutely doing something wrong. Infact you are doing all the things wrong.

Should I turn down the heat after 1 min (after sealing), or go all the way with highest heat in the frying process?

Brewmaster
    7+ Year Old Account
    Throw it away cause it's bad for you

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MatthewOU2015 View Post
    Throw it away cause it's bad for you
    Oh look, the vegetarians have arrived.

Hehe...The last time I cooked steak I simply seared both sides and then chowed down.

Bloody rare, just the way I like it!

10+ Year Old Account
    Hahaha hard to take this very serious as most Turks that say they like it medium/rare in fact mean they like it welldone but wanna sound fancy.

Anyway, look up Gordon Ramsey on Youtube on how to prep it.

And why do you use an oven?

Warm up pan on high heat, do each side 1/1.5min. Add in some butter while making it and some garlic in the pan.

You can season it before or after.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TrigglyPuff View Post
    Can't you google all this shit?

Not knowing the cut is pretty odd since you could literally be cooking it incorrectly. However, I would seek this advice by googling or watching videos on youtube from actual chefs, not people who post on MMO-C.
    But googling is so hard... it takes ages to do properly - at LEAST 10 seconds. Too much effort.

- - - Updated - - -

There must be something wrong, terribly wrong with ya - cooking steaks is one of the easiest thing to do. Simply get a food thermometer, and you will know when the steak is done.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    Exactly this.

1) buy a grill
    2) get coals real hot
    3) get a thick cut of steak
    4) rub salt on steak (and any additional spices you want, i usually just use pepper)
    5) throw steak on grill
    6) wait for little beads of blood to come through the top, thats your indicator to flip it, keep track of how long it cooked on that side
    7) flip it and cook for the same amount of time as the first
    8) remove from grill and eat it.

just a note. if you get the coals hot enough it should properly sear the outside, but if it wasn't hot enough, and when you go to flip it the cooked side is light brown and not dark, you may need to cook it longer, but only do so until it's darkened, then pull it off.

10+ Year Old Account
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rEx9gPhtjzs

Gordon Ramsey "Steps on How to Cook a Steak"

Cant learn it from anyone better I guess.

I prefer not using the oven unless the cut is quite thick. Your mistake is the 30 mins in the oven. That is way too long considering the pre-sear. Here's what I do when I use the oven after the searing. Comes out perfect every time.

Make sure you preheat the oven for all the moist to evaporate. Use the bake and not the broil, unless you want more blackening after the searing. 350F on the oven worked out nicely for me. Pat dry with a paper towel. Season. Get the pan SUPER hot. Add a bit of oil (2 table spoons for 1 steak should be enough). I prefer vegetable oil cuz olive oil fills my small apartment with smoke. Wait for the oil to smoke. Steak in. Literally 30 seconds only on each side. Pan into the oven. 2 mins only on each side. Take the pan out. Rest the steak covered for 2 mins.

If you follow this to the letter, and your steak isn't thin, you'll end up with a juicy medium rare steak, around 135F in the middle. If you need more doneness, leave in the oven for 1 more minute or so each side. I recommend to try it medium rare once, 2 mins each side in the oven. You'll love it.
    Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known.

Sous vide, then sear the outside on a very hot pan for a short time.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    it is 1, max 1.5 cm. I like it medium rare by the way.
    That's a pretty thin steak. If you don't have access to a grill, you should just pan fry it on medium-high heat for a few minutes on each side. It'll be tough to cook it well since it is so thin, but you'll get closer to medium rare.

For a good medium rare steak, you really need to get something that is closer to 3 cm. That will allow you to cook it (I would still recommend pan frying only if you don't have access to a grill) long enough to get some heat through the meat without cooking it beyond medium-rare.