Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I always used to feel so tiny riding inbetween those earth spires, and then to see the landscape open up into shimmering flats was an awesome sight, but the quests were nothing inspiring to be honest, so it's a bit of a trade-off i suppose...

Fuck no. That placed sucked and was horrible to quest in. It's now much more interesting visually and a lot more fun.

I question the mental state of anyone who claims the vanilla zones we're better than the Cata revamped ones.
    The Cata revamp made the vanilla zones look much more beautiful and more enjoyable to quest in.

10+ Year Old Account
    I miss the depth in a lot of zones and dungeons. The remakes are not the same with all the little easter eggs, unexplored parts etc.
    I watched video's yesterday of someone who talked about changes between the new Scholomance and the old one, they basically killed off everything which made that content fun.
    Same goes for zones like Thousand Needles and it's something I'd love to visit again pre Shattering...
    A lot of people will say that farming to get the right key for those instances wasn't content, or that there wasn't a linear path in zones/instances, but that's exactly what made them so nice: since there was always something to explore.
    It's a shame there is no way to re-live those old zones/instances (no offical way, yes PS's exist) and show what made World of Warcraft to what it is today.
    I have this feeling a lot more the last couple of months that I underestimated the old content and what actually made it so vast and explore-able, which seemingly only happens to the things which are no more.
    "You only know what you've got until it's gone" kind of idea...
    Last edited by Mhyroth; 2016-05-27 at 07:00 PM.
    "If you are what you HAVE and you lose what you have, what then are you? But if you are what you ARE and you lose what you have, no man controls your destiny".

I played alliance so never did much in thousand needles, but I do miss the racetrack area. That said for me the barge more than makes up for it. I might be in the same boat though if I had spent more time there in vanilla.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mhyroth View Post
    I miss the depth in a lot of zones and dungeons. The remakes are not the same with all the little easter eggs, unexplored parts etc.
    I watched video's yesterday of someone who talked about changes between the new Scholomance and the old one, they basically killed off everything which made that content fun.
    Same goes for zones like Thousand Needles and it's something I'd love to visit again pre Shattering...
    A lot of people will say that farming to get the right key for those instances wasn't content, or that there wasn't a linear path in zones/instances, but that's exactly what made them so nice: since there was always something to explore.
    It's a shame there is no way to re-live those old zones/instances (no offical way, yes PS's exist) and show what made World of Warcraft to what it is today.
    While I think the game is better now than it was in Vanilla overall, I do miss some things from back then, especially dungeons like BRD and Scholomance. Well I guess BRD is still intact if I want to go there solo. I also miss some places being more secret like the farm on the east coast of arathi that I had no idea existed for a long time until a friend showed me.

Every single zone got far worse in Cataclysm in my opinion. So yes, I do miss the old Thousand Needles.

wasn't it there you got the infamous "carrot on a stick" to give you that little bit of a speed boost :-)

Quote Originally Posted by wombinator04 View Post
    Fuck no. That placed sucked and was horrible to quest in. It's now much more interesting visually and a lot more fun.

I question the mental state of anyone who claims the vanilla zones we're better than the Cata revamped ones.
    The Cata revamp made the vanilla zones look much more beautiful and more enjoyable to quest in.
    While I do miss some of the old quest chains, like the Onyxia quests on Alliance side and Tirion's quests in the plaguelands, I do agree that visually the zones were improved, with maybe one or two exceptioins but none off the top of my head.

What I remember about it, was getting the "Carrot on a Stick" trinket in the shimmer flats. I think that's where it was... good old days.

At night it was very peaceful and soothing (the music was perfect).
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

Quote Originally Posted by chubbybunny View Post
    wasn't it there you got the infamous "carrot on a stick" to give you that little bit of a speed boost :-)
    Nope, you got it as a reward for doing some quest in Zul'Farrak dungeon.
    No more time wasted in WoW.. still reading this awesome forum, though

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Florena Emberlin View Post
    I played alliance so never did much in thousand needles, but I do miss the racetrack area. That said for me the barge more than makes up for it. I might be in the same boat though if I had spent more time there in vanilla.

- - - Updated - - -

While I think the game is better now than it was in Vanilla overall, I do miss some things from back then, especially dungeons like BRD and Scholomance. Well I guess BRD is still intact if I want to go there solo. I also miss some places being more secret like the farm on the east coast of arathi that I had no idea existed for a long time until a friend showed me.
    Like someone else said in this thread: the quests now are a lot more fluent and clear, but the zones itself are not the same anymore and lack "something". It's the trade-off we pay I guess.
    I'm not someone who will cry there is no Vanilla anymore, but it would be nice to re-live/explore a lot of things which have been removed/redone. I never had the chance to finish my Shendra'lar Reputation in Dire Maul and I still regret that to this day. It may be something small and of no importance, but those things are what I loved to do, and actually still love to do.
    Certain items (not speaking about Legendaries) which have been removed/reworked too would be nice to see again at some point. A lot of people I know threw away the Zul Gurub (old one) items since there was no transmogrification back then, and there are thousands of examples of items which actually ment something to the game and have been removed for some reason.

As said before, the game is a lot more streamlined now and a lot more aimed at the new player/casual player (don't deny it) but that makes it misses out on a lot of things which actually made this game succesfull in the first place .
    Just my 2c tho.
    Last edited by Mhyroth; 2016-05-27 at 07:07 PM.
    "If you are what you HAVE and you lose what you have, what then are you? But if you are what you ARE and you lose what you have, no man controls your destiny".

Quote Originally Posted by chubbybunny View Post
    was it? I think of Tanaris when I hear the name but also not sure.^^

7+ Year Old Account
    i havent leveled a toon in so long i didnt know about the ship. thats pretty neat i may have to go there adn do the low level quests on my main just to have done it
    sounds fun
    “Listen, three eyes,” he said, “don’t you try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.”

Quote Originally Posted by Mhyroth View Post
    Like someone else said in this thread: the quests now are a lot more fluent and clear, but the zones itself are not the same anymore and lack "something". It's the trade-off we pay I guess.
    I'm not someone who will cry there is no Vanilla anymore, but it would be nice to re-live/explore a lot of things which have been removed/redone. I never had the chance to finish my Shendra'lar Reputation in Dire Maul and I still regret that to this day. It may be something small and of no importance, but those things are what I loved to do, and actually still love to do.
    Yeah, I feel like things overall were improved, but some things were also lost. I don't think Vanilla was the better game overall, but nor was Cataclysm a 100% improvement in every single area. I feel like the 'big' things mostly got better but some of the 'smaller' things like dungeons you could really explore or hidden areas etc got left out. Though for some people these are bigger issues than others. If they were to introduce an official Vanilla server, I would make a character on it, but it would just be a 'for fun' alt and not my main in WoW.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by coprax View Post
    was it? I think of Tanaris when I hear the name but also not sure.^^
    I think it was in Tanaris but it's been too long to remember for sure.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by l33t View Post
    The questgiver was in the Shimmering Flats, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Voolcan View Post
    having one of my most favorite places taken away is so sad. Thousand needles carried alot of Nostalgia, from questing to gathering mets, and to well to ganking It has this atmosphere that reminded me of the old warcraft, specially the elevators stuck between this area and barrens just looking at thousand needles from the top is soo epic. I dont know if you agree but I wish the water goes away already.
    I'm with you on this, one of my favorite old zone from back in the day. Another thing I really miss is the old demon area in Winterspring. That was fun to explore to me and I never got tired of running circles there.

Quote Originally Posted by Zyky View Post
    I'm with you on this, one of my favorite old zone from back in the day. Another thing I really miss is the old demon area in Winterspring. That was fun to explore to me and I never got tired of running circles there.
    I think that area exists still in Hyjal...but I'm sure if I'm thinking of the right area it's vastly different now anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by l33t View Post
    Yeah you got the scale of gahz'rilla, but you had to get the quest from a goblin in shimmering flats when you were asked to go to zul'farak to get the scale (this is before quests were handed out just inside the instance entrance), you had to actually go find the quests for the dungeons..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyky View Post
    This is a good example ^^, those places didn't do anything to the gameplay, but they were there and ment something and gave depth to the zones. Or the old Desolace was nice too, although a lot of people prefer the new one more, I remember farming those Centaur to get that rep up to max Honored.

10+ Year Old Account
    A bit, but not as much as the whole old world which is fairly different. It was a good idea to create a Cataclysm. But it was a BAD idea to remove access from the old world.
    Lastly they did great work with Blasted lands, allowing to get to the cataclysm version. Hope this will be corrected in the future. Maybe this is what will result about all those legacy realm talks.