"New" computer.. Do i actually need it?

Hello!

So my brother recently bought himself a PC. What appears to want to be one anyway! Thing is though, i'm pretty sure the old one(my old one from 2011) has more power to it.

Now, i've long since fallen out of the hardware world, and i was hoping someone would be able to help me out with this.
    It has only been a week since he bought it, so there's still room for a refund it!

So the specs for his NEW PC is as follows;

CPU: AMD A8-7600
    GPU: AMD Radeon R7 340
    RAM: all it says on website is 8 gigs @ 1600 MHz

This is basically the information there is on the website about his PC!

Now my old one(his now also old one) is as follows;

CPU: Intel I5 2500K 3.30 GHz 6MB S-1155 - This is cooled by aftermarket Corsair H60.
    GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 570 DirectCU II 1280MB
    RAM: Corsair XMS3 Intel I5/i7 PC12800 @ 1600MHz 2x4GB(8GB)
    MB: Asus P8z68-V PRO z68 S-1155 ATX

I'm no expert, but would i be wrong in saying that the old one is just as if not stronger than the new one?

Many thanks for whatever help i get on this!

///Frank
    Last edited by siaro; 2016-05-27 at 06:28 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yup that new system is a turd. The only advantage it has over the older system would likely be a fresh application of thermal paste and isn't caked with several years of dust

Assuming no problems with the old system a Gtx 1070 would be a massive upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by lockblock View Post
    Yup that new system is a turd. The only advantage it has over the older system would likely be a fresh application of thermal paste and isn't caked with several years of dust

Assuming no problems with the old system a Gtx 1070 would be a massive upgrade.
    Wait, as in the new card? I don't think so, he usually just plays CS:GO and similar games, so a GPU that can pull that off and then some is fine! Besides wouldt a 1070 be a waste with the rest of the setup?

10+ Year Old Account
    Have your brother return it, first off. Unless he got it for free, somehow.

Then look into getting a proper system for the same price.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab