Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Sweet. Vote Trump, he'll "open up the water", lots of water for everyone for maybe 2-3 years. Then literally people dying of thirst. He's basically promising to make an entire state uninhabitable so some gullible morons will vote for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Krawu View Post
    Sweet. Vote Trump, he'll "open up the water", lots of water for everyone for maybe 2-3 years. Then literally people dying of thirst. He's basically promising to make an entire state uninhabitable so some gullible morons will vote for him.
    Water doesn't get consumed when you drink it. It doesn't work that way. Something something water table. Either way, when you take a piss you put the water back into the water table. That's right, the water you just drank used to be piss at some point throughout history.

He keeps tacking on "believe me" to his statements as if that alone somehow makes it true.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    Pretty much, there is sufficient water however there is a drought because the water is being used elsewhere. Whether you think protecting endangered species with it is better than helping farms and families survive depends on your personal viewpoints.
    An example of the "sufficient water".

There is a drought because the resources are not being replenished. Choosing to divert water to whatever is not going to magically fill those reservoirs and end the drought. It is simply yet another wedge issue used to ignore dealing with the actual problem.
    What are we gonna do now? Taking off his turban, they said, is this man a Jew?
    'Cause they're working for the clampdown
    They put up a poster saying we earn more than you!
    When we're working for the clampdown
    We will teach our twisted speech To the young believers
    We will train our blue-eyed men To be young believers

7+ Year Old Account
    There is plenty of water for everyone even with recent precipitation rates, it's just a matter of what long term agricultural output we want.

Quote Originally Posted by Pangean View Post
    An example of the "sufficient water".

Here you go. Thank you for your intellectual dishonestly but the facts will take it from here.

http://www.abc10.com/news/local/fols...march/74117126

The lake's high point is in July and it's low point is in January. And it's not a lake. it's a man made resevoir.

EDIT: Also the tldr of the article is that in march 2016 it recorded record water levels
    Last edited by Gheld; 2016-05-28 at 05:45 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    Water doesn't get consumed when you drink it. It doesn't work that way. Something something water table. Either way, when you take a piss you put the water back into the water table. That's right, the water you just drank used to be piss at some point throughout history.
    True, but assuming that "opening up the water" means lifting all restrictions that have been imposed due to the drought (and knowing Trump, it absolutely does), farmers and companies will get back to using it up with no regard for current reserves again. The average citizen isn't who will be using up the majority of it. And if you use water to irrigate your fields, it's not as easily recoverable. Eventually, reserves will really run out, and there's simply not going to be enough for everyone. Yeah, 2-3 years is a number I've pulled out of my ass, but it'll still happen eventually.

7+ Year Old Account
    True, but assuming that "opening up the water" means lifting all restrictions that have been imposed due to the drought (and knowing Trump, it absolutely does), farmers and companies will get back to using it up with no regard for current reserves again. The average citizen isn't who will be using up the majority of it. And if you use water to irrigate your fields, it's not as easily recoverable. Eventually, reserves will really run out, and there's simply not going to be enough for everyone. Yeah, 2-3 years is a number I've pulled out of my ass, but it'll still happen eventually.
    If reserves run low long term then the price of farm water goes up and precipitation and price reach equilibrium. Resulting in a few percent loss of output. Not the end of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    If reserves run low long term then the price of farm water goes up and precipitation and price reach equilibrium. Resulting in a few percent loss of output. Not the end of the world.
    You seem to be under the impression that farmers are using more water than they need to because the price of water is "low". That's... not how watering plants works, because that will actually kill the shit out of them.

That "few percent loss" is actually a massive loss to most non-grain food in the US as well should Cali farms stop producing so well.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    No, he was saying that his nomination would be the moment that the rise of the oceans began to slow. You know how I know that? Because it's what he said! Your desire to concoct apologia for ridiculous self-aggrandizing political marketing statements is really silly.
    can you source that? I really want to read that speech xD

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanyali View Post
    You seem to be under the impression that farmers are using more water than they need to because the price of water is "low". That's... not how watering plants works, because that will actually kill the shit out of them.

That "few percent loss" is actually a massive loss to most non-grain food in the US as well should Cali farms stop producing so well.
    I'm not talking about day to day watering. Im talking long term.

Yes a few percent loss would be big but we have a growing population and finite replenishing resources, eventually it needs to balance out.

If by "pumped out to sea" he means "dumped on people's lawns" then yeah, I guess maybe a little bit.

I somehow doubt he's stumping for the turf replacement initiative though.

Quote Originally Posted by Karon View Post
    can you source that? I really want to read that speech xD
    Here it is via HuffPo. It's filled with saccharine-sweet nonsense.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think by the three inch fish, he is actually referring to the citizens of California. He's clearly on drugs.
    "Believing something is not an accomplishment. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because “strength of belief” is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. Listen to any “die-hard” conservative or liberal talk about their deepest beliefs and you are listening to somebody who will never hear what you say on any matter that matters to them — unless you believe the same. Wherever there is a belief, there is a closed door."

Quote Originally Posted by hrugner View Post
    If by "pumped out to sea" he means "dumped on people's lawns" then yeah, I guess maybe a little bit.

I somehow doubt he's stumping for the turf replacement initiative though.
    Lawns use about 3.8 MAF/year while recreational rivers use about 7.2 MAF/year and the Sacramento delta uses about 5.6 MAF/year. He's likely referring to the Sacaramento delta in this context.

Not having lawns in a fucking desert would be a pretty good idea, I just want to be clear about scope/scale here.

7+ Year Old Account
    Here you go. Thank you for your intellectual dishonestly but the facts will take it from here.

http://www.abc10.com/news/local/fols...march/74117126

The lake's high point is in July and it's low point is in January. And it's not a lake. it's a man made resevoir.
    Didn't realize pictures of empty reservoirs were intellectual dishonesty. An empty reservoir indicating that the amount of water that the reservoir holds is not sufficient to meet the needs and that it was drained. And was at extreme low levels for several years in a row. Hardly a sign of sufficient water. And while you are right this one reservoir was at a high level on that date (it's already down to 85% as of today), others are way below capacity and as such not meeting the demand for water.

“Sure, the main Northern California reservoirs—Shasta, Lake Oroville and Folsom Lake—are filling nicely, but many of California’s central and southern reservoirs are only at 40 to 60 percent of historical averages,” said Bill Patzert, climatologist at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory. “The bottom line is that much of California remains in serious drought, and many communities still hover near crisis conditions. For drought relief, El Niño was a stud in the north, but a dud in the south. It will take years to bust this long-lasting drought.”
    What are we gonna do now? Taking off his turban, they said, is this man a Jew?
    'Cause they're working for the clampdown
    They put up a poster saying we earn more than you!
    When we're working for the clampdown
    We will teach our twisted speech To the young believers
    We will train our blue-eyed men To be young believers

Quote Originally Posted by Pangean View Post
    Didn't realize pictures of empty reservoirs were intellectual dishonesty.
    Showing one picture at the high level and one at the low level is pretty obviously a dishonest scare tactic. An appropriate comparison would be same-month photos across years.

Trump is so stupid he thinks they are pumping fresh water out to sea to help SALT WATER fish? The fuck? America is fucked either way in this election. The worst part is people believing him, I found it astounding to know that people are legitimately going against facts and nasa satelite photos of drought. Why do people in America hate facts and science?
    Last edited by Varitok; 2016-05-28 at 06:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bathory View Post
    He keeps tacking on "believe me" to his statements as if that alone somehow makes it true.
    His statements are extremely vague with no set plan anyway, so he has to add something to make it seem more credible.

Also either way, this doesn't strike me as something the President would have compete control over, so not sure how he's promising that he can even do this.

7+ Year Old Account
    Yeah it's not really accurate some of it is lost via transpiration witch has more chance to end up in ocean at the end, also water that you piss as a good chance of being rejected into the ocean if you live not to far from the shore, salt water is not lost but desalination is expensive. i'll bite the problem is not water used for consumtion, it's true tho that if you ''open up the water in CA'' free of any regulation you're in for some trouble.