Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    It's very different in HoTS. Counterpicking enemy teams is a major part of OW but impossible in HoTS. Also, HoTS has a much larger hero base.

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    Why not allow the same Mechanics in HotS?
    It will be in Arena :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

My main contention with the defense for allowing duplicate heroes is that the game was marketed as a game where you don't play as a class, you play as a hero. That's one of the huge things that's supposed to set it apart from a game like TF2. Apparently, someone didn't tell the design team, since one of their major design philosophies was to avoid limiting hero selection, which is now allowing people to stack the same hero, thus removing the ability to play as a unique hero on a team and turning them back into classes.

As for the people who are arguing "It's easy to counter multiple of [insert hero], stop complaining," you're missing the point entirely. The point is that if one team is made of exclusively hero X, forcing the majority of the opposing team to switch to hero Y or Z, who counters hero X, is just not fun. Especially in pugs, where it would be a miracle if you could coordinate your own team to do something like that.

I'm not even saying it should be restricted to one hero per team. At most I feel like there should be a limit of 2 of the same hero per team, and only in Quick Play and Practice vs AI. If you want to make a custom game where you can stack 6 of the same hero, be my guest. Hell, I'd even be fine with it in Arcade mode since that's basically just a mode for dicking around anyways.

10+ Year Old Account
    I hate the fact that there is the ability to hero stack.
    I agree with what people have said, it removes the heroes, and makes them just another class.
    Plus having 2-3 Reihns protecting 2 bastions isn't fun. I hate that I have to go out of my way (and so do other teammates) just to stack counters to kill this stupid combo.

I get that people have fun sometimes and stack 6 heroes with the purpose of fun, and not for strategy, but the amount of times I see 2-3 reihns stacking shields onto each other on a payload map, it's making me burn out.

And it's great to see people calling other people noobs because they struggle to deal with hero stacking.
    I'm sorry that playing solo in a quick-game that I'm unable to get my team to pay attention and force them to change heroes, and properly work together to kill whatever cheese tactic is being used.
    Last edited by Kuthe; 2016-05-30 at 09:08 AM.
    We stopped searching for monsters under our beds when we realized that they were inside us.

Tell me something, my friend. You ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?

I just realized that I kinda necro'd an old thread... oops.

Anyways, it's like this. If my team is balanced, I should be able to play my character fine and contribute to the objective so long as I avoid the guy(s) on the other team who are strong against me or counter me. Since my team is balanced, there should be some other person on my team who can counter the guy who counters me.
    HOWEVER, If the entire enemy team is stacking the same hero that counters me, I'm basically useless unless I play the "rock, paper, scissors" game and switch to a character that counters them. And even THEN I probably wouldn't be able to counter them properly unless the majority of my team also switches characters. Good luck doing that with a group of pugs. It just a recipe for pure unfun.

There's a reason TF2 (by default) prevents an entire team being made of 12 engineers or 12 demomen or 12 spies. When you create situations like that, the game is no longer about skill and cooperation, it's about countering. Countering is not fun, nor is it a good form of competition.

Bare minimum there should be some kind of separate mode that restricts hero selection, maybe even one that prevents you from switching heroes mid-game. I don't think there's anyone who could legitimately complain about an optional feature like that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hero stacking is one of the reason I didn't buy this game, I enjoyed the beta for a short while but it's just a stupid design choice(my opinion).

I don't want to have to counter someone and I don't want there to be specific counter for me, countering isn't fun. I want to play a hero because I like said hero more than the others.

Deleted
    Easy solution:

Reduce the effectivity of all skills for each hero of the same type.

6x Reinhardt = 2000-Shield / 6 = 333,33 damage absorb per player

Players will lose interest in stacking heros pretty quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Frakchaw View Post
    Hero stacking is one of the reason I didn't buy this game, I enjoyed the beta for a short while but it's just a stupid design choice(my opinion).

I don't want to have to counter someone and I don't want there to be specific counter for me, countering isn't fun. I want to play a hero because I like said hero more than the others.
    When I got into the game I wasn't even aware that the game allowed hero stacking, considering the misleading marketing as I mentioned in a previous post. The main website is full of stuff like:
    "Play as a unique hero that fits your playstyle!"
    "They're not classes, they're unique heroes!"
    It basically pitched itself as a team-based FPS with MOBA-style heroes, which wasn't a bad thing! I would've loved to play a game like that, but they completely dropped the ball on it.

Deleted
    Im actually working on getting a refund for Overwatch because i tried a game that just came out called Battleborn and its exactly what Overwatch is not, its a FPS Moba with minions and stuff and where u can collect stuff to activate turrets and there are some items/builds more like lol/dota not a shop but there is items out of game.

The overall quality is equal to Overwatch in my opinion and the champions are great and u cant play as 2 of same champs in the same team, i actually think the games champs feels more diverse and different than Overwatch.

If u are having doubts about Overwatch take a look and watch some streams or videos, its worth it trust me.

The problem with Overwatch si people thinking it's a moba when it's not. You were the wrong audience for this game. The problem is you and not the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Erwarth View Post
    The problem with Overwatch si people thinking it's a moba when it's not. You were the wrong audience for this game. The problem is you and not the game.
    I've stated before that the marketing team would seem to have a different opinion. Everywhere you look regarding Overwatch they're saying "We're not a class-based game! We have unique heroes!" Which heavily implies a MOBA-like hero selection.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shondoa View Post
    I've stated before that the marketing team would seem to have a different opinion. Everywhere you look regarding Overwatch they're saying "We're not a class-based game! We have unique heroes!" Which heavily implies a MOBA-like hero selection.
    And if you did any research like watch a stream/youtube vid or even read the forum you would know what was in it and what wasn't.
    Your own fault and no one else.

I love the countering and tactics behind it.
    It makes it A lot more fun for me then CS or TF or any of the CoD/BF bullshit.

I don't think you are trying to tackle this with any sense of reality. You are doing this from an eSport team perspective where coordination and mics are in use 100% of the time.

Lets try and discuss this from a PUG stand point, which is what a majority of games are for.

5 bastions are going to wreck a team in the last room as defense 99% of the time.
    But they don't. Even on the defense, the most Bastions I've seen is two.
    Mother pus bucket!

get better you god damn scrubs.... hero stacking is a legit tactic and its good that its possible

Holy fucking shit how can People whine about every god fucking shit on this Planet

Infracted
    Last edited by Alarinth; 2016-05-30 at 10:42 PM.

Deleted
    I'e seen 3 Torbjörns + 1 Bastion on the enemy team that was defending. What a nightmare. The other 2 were a Widowmaker and something I can't even remember. I ended up switching to a widowmaker myself (which I suck at, but no one else was keen), to take out some turrets.
    We didnt win, but towards the end we weren't that far off. It took us quite a lot of time to figure out how to counter them and push through it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ariandra View Post
    I'e seen 3 Torbjörns + 1 Bastion on the enemy team that was defending. What a nightmare. The other 2 were a Widowmaker and something I can't even remember. I ended up switching to a widowmaker myself (which I suck at, but no one else was keen), to take out some turrets.
    We didnt win, but towards the end we weren't that far off. It took us quite a lot of time to figure out how to counter them and push through it.
    But I suppose it might be fun and memorable if you do manage to get a handle on it?

Imo this is a legitimate design choice. It does, however, make balancing even harder, so I'm personally surprised Blizzard allows it.

stacking is highly vulnerable to countering. Calm down when you see it and immediately switch tactics.

Why not allow the same Mechanics in HotS?

I'm trying to understand why the decision is bad for one game, but good for the other.
    It's not necessarily that the mechanics are bad for either game, but Blizzard needs to pick one mechanic and go forward with it knowing they could have done the opposite if they wanted to.

Traditionally FPS games don't limit heroes while MOBAs do, but there is no fast and hard rule for why it's like this. You can blame the guy who made the first MOBA. He set the trend. If Blizzard made Overwatch similar to HotS (i.e. you select your hero before searching for a game) then we would be here replying to threads that go "Why can't there be more than one hero on a team?".

Neither mechanic is bad, they just gotto pick one.

I don't have an issue with people using the same character...unless it's 5 or 6 of them. I had a game with 6 Roadhogs who then swapped to 6 Bastions when we pushed their second defensive point. The next game, we went against 5 S76 and a D.Va. Granted, we did win both games, it wasn't as enjoyable. It really kills the fun for me when I'm going against 5 or 6 of the same character, it's bland. Imo it should be limited to three of the same character on a team per map.

The reason you can have multiples is because in TF you have multiples. Don't think of Widow Maker as a unique character, think of her as a sniper. In TF you have multiples of every class and you can change out freely. You can have multiple heavy weapon guys, multiple demomen and multiple spies.
    This is a TF game, at its core it is designed to play with what ever class you feel will solve the problem.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    At least limit certain heroes to 1 per team. You never need two bastions/trobjorns and you most definetely never need two snipers.
    You never need them, but when they're being played well i've had two Tobjorns defensively and it's been a solid as hell defense.