Page 1 of 2
LastLast

How is Western Europe for people of my Complexion?

I've really started to save up quite a lot, partially due to my desire to tour Western Europe. I particularly would want to visit the UK, Sweden and Germany.

However I've heard a lot of hysteria from European nationals on the migrant crisis, I don't know if it's overblown or not, but I'm a little fearful that if I visited certain Sweden or Germany that I might be seen by the wrong group as some sort of Syrian, Arab, North African or Afghani migrant.

I'm Italian/Jamaican American with dark tan skin, a straight nose and semi-kinky black hair. A lot of my friends say I look black, Filipino, Mexican or Arab, but most people just call me mixed or white.

I've heard there's been some things stirring with the far right in certain European countries and I sort of want some clarification.

Granted it may just be me being an ignorant American tourist, but again I would like some clarification and whether I should be saving for Europe.

Anything you guys could tell me?
    Last edited by Techno-Druid; 2016-05-30 at 08:28 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    You should probably post a picture of yourself if you want this post answered honestly.

Deleted
    Close to nobody gives a fuck what your complexion or skin color is, it's just a retarded thing coming from people who can't argue properly to retort with "them brown people" arguments.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    I've really started to save up quite a lot, partially due to my desire to tour Western Europe. I particularly would want to visit the UK, Sweden and Germany.

However I've heard a lot of hysteria from European nationals on the migrant crisis, I don't know if it's overblown or not, but I'm a little fearful that if I visited certain Sweden or Germany that I might be seen by the wrong group as some sort of Syrian, Arab, North African or Afghani migrant.

I've heard there's been some things stirring with the far right in certain European countries and I sort of want some clarification.

Granted it may just be me being an ignorant American tourist, but again I would like some clarification and whether I should be saving for Europe.

Anything you guys could tell me?
    You asked how would people react to your complexion yet within that whole paragraph and a half you didnt bother to mention what your complexion looks like.

10+ Year Old Account
    You've answered your own question. You're being an ignorant american tourist.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm dark skinned, I have no issue. I wouldn't sweat it unless you go out of your way to make trouble.

Deleted
    If you come to the UK you'll be fine in any major city. You might get a few weird looks if you visit some of the more rural areas, not because they're racist, just because you can go years without seeing a non-White face in some parts of this country.

There's very little personal racism in the EU, I'd argue it's a lot better here than it is in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by DaHomieG View Post
    You asked how would people react to your complexion yet within that whole paragraph and a half you didnt bother to mention what your complexion looks like.
    I'm Italian/Jamaican. My skin is a dark tan and I have a straight nose with semi-kinky black hair.

I'll try to find a good picture of myself

10+ Year Old Account
    Granted it may just be me being an ignorant American tourist...
    That is the conclusion I came to.

15+ Year Old Account
    People won't attack you in the street or hurl racial insults at you, if that's what you're asking. They'll just keep their racist thoughts in their head, just like good ol' Americans do. And of course I'm not saying there aren't places you shouldn't go or people you shouldn't be near but I'm assuming you won't be touring random shit neighborhoods.
    Facilis Descensus Averno

It'll be fine. As long as you're not rude to anyone, the people will be friendly and welcoming.

7+ Year Old Account
    Does affirmative action exist in Europe? Pick a place where you have a complexion advantage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    Does affirmative action exist in Europe? Pick a place where you have a complexion advantage.
    It is illegal in the UK to discriminate based on ethnicity.

Deleted
    The worst thing you could do, is act like the stereotypical American tourist on a Spring break: full of himself, talks too loud, chants USA!USA!USA! and drops unconscious after just 2 beers.
    Other than that, one one will give a damn about your Arab/Black/Filipino look.

You wont even notice youve left your own country

Netherlands you will be fine.

But why worry if its a holiday?

And a other point.....i think its worse to be Non-white or different sexual taste's or religion in america right now then in western Europa. As for the "far right" in europa. If you look at most party's that are far right ( NOT ALL). They are what Americans would call liberal republicans.

Deleted
    Everything is possible, but its very unlikely that someone would care much about a American tourist regardless of skin color, at worst, you will hear a lecture on the benefits of universal health care If you are afraid that peopel will think you are a refugee nobady will make that mistake when they here you speak....

Deleted
    Just wear cargo shorts, baseball cap and a T-shirt with the name of your state on it, no one will think you are an American tourist that is easily taken advantage of.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooneye View Post
    Close to nobody gives a fuck what your complexion or skin color is, it's just a retarded thing coming from people who can't argue properly to retort with "them brown people" arguments.
    +1

Noone would give a damn.

15+ Year Old Account
    What, you think there's racist gangs roaming the streets everywhere because voters are choosing to vote for more right-wing immigration policies?

That's like thinking you'll bump into the KKK everywhere in the US because Trump is popular.

Western Europe is great, nothing to worry about that you wouldn't be worried about at home.