10+ Year Old Account
    Burned Teldrassil, cooking up tasty delicacies with all the elven fat I can gather
    Quote Originally Posted by Isurith View Post
    Trolls are back.
    The ignore feature is your friend.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyblader View Post
    It's a general rule though that if you play horde you are a bad person irl. It's just a scientific fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    The game didn't give me any good reason to hate the horde. Forums did that.

Quote Originally Posted by Draedarr View Post
    Here in my city there is no promotion at all, had to send a message to local cinema and ask them the release day

- - - Updated - - -

Yep, only thing that come to my mind is his Bday, even with the day off, some people tend to not even know about the movie, as there is not a great marketing team behind the movie
    Weird they had tons of posters in Germany/Berlin. There's even two Warcraft posters in my nearest underground station, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Son of Sniglet View Post
    well it's the best way for them to save money if they have a known stinker on their hands.
    A known stinker that's scoring 7-8/10 from most movie-goers? Okay.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Whenever they showed the trailer in movie theatres here, people didn't seem impressed at all.
    Because all the trailers have been bad?

- - - Updated - - -

Seems the troll raid was never finished because it was too expensive.

When it comes to fantasy movies I am VERY forgiving and biased admittedly, like some scores I would give for many movies would be
    Fellowship: 8/10
    Two towers: 10/10
    ROTK: 10/10

Hobbit 1: 9/10
    Hobbit 2: 10/10
    Hobbit 3: 10/10

Braveheart: 8/10

Seventh Son: 6.5/10

How to train your dragon: 7.5/10
    How to train your dragon 2: 8.5/10

Dracula Untold: 8/10

Gods of Egypt: 4.5/10

It is quite literally impossible for me to dislike this movie pretty much
    World of Warcraft: Shadowblands
    Diablo Bore.

10+ Year Old Account
    Burned Teldrassil, cooking up tasty delicacies with all the elven fat I can gather
    Quote Originally Posted by Orivaa View Post
    Seems the troll raid was never finished because it was too expensive.
    Seems the reason why they came up with that sort of graphic novel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyblader View Post
    It's a general rule though that if you play horde you are a bad person irl. It's just a scientific fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    The game didn't give me any good reason to hate the horde. Forums did that.

Watched it.
    And....... it has flaws, but damn, I had a really great time!

Let's start with the bad things, so I can get rid of them immediately.

CONS:
    I understand the criticism to the pacing, especially in the first 20 mins*of the movie, everything is so fast, leaving really few moments to establish the various characters.

Also, I found Medivh a bit disappointing as a character. Ben Foster's performance was great, but the character himself really disappointed me. His storyline was kinda too stretched and repetitive. I expected him to be one of the best, and he turned out to be one of the worst. Only towards the end I appreciated him though. But I expected much better.

Callan's role in the movie should have been a very emotional one, but again, the fast pacing probably let him have only a few scenes so I didn't care much about him sadly.

About Orgrim, Draka, Taria, Llane... they were all decently used, but I guess that I would have get a bigger emotional link with them if they had more scenes. But they were decent. Orgrim was so underused in the first half, but in the second half I loved him. Llane needed more screentime, but with his last scene he became memorable to me, and brought life to one of the best scenes in the movie.

The humor scenes were just a few, but I guess I spoiled myself almost all of them with the clips/trailers, so maybe it's just me.

PRO:
    It's a really fun film, incredibly enjoyable! If there's one good thing about the fast pacing, is that you never get bored.

The world is incredible and the details so perfect. That's a flawless thing about the film.

Visually, it was flawless. The orcs feel real and they are great to watch. This needs an Oscar nomination (and probably a win, if it weren't for The Jungle Book) for VFX. And I didn't even watch it in iMax.

The soundtrack was good, but IMO it's better in the album that in the film somehow. But it's very good anyway, fits so well with the scenes.

The directing was generally good, with some GREAT shots and camera movements here and there. You can clearly see it's not a random director, but the great Duncan Jones (loved his Sergio Leone's style in a few scenes).

The characters... let's start with the humans:

- Lothar was great. His introduction was rushed, but Travis Fimmel was so good in his acting that that wasn't a big problem. When something happens , he starts to have a depth and you can see his human side much more. His performance was pure gold, great charisma in every scene, best human actor without a doubt.

- Medivh, as I said before, was a let-down to me. Ben Foster is amazing, but maybe not the best face for Medivh, and his scenes IMO were a bit repetitive and not interesting, at least until 3/4 of the movie, when his role starts to make more sense.

- Khadgar was played very well by Ben Schnetzer. I like his interaction with Lothar and the fact he looks like a comic relief of the film. He wasn't memorable, but he was likeable.

- Llane was decent. Not great, not bad. Just decent, although his last scene made him memorable.

- Garona was the real surprise. Incredibly perfect for the role, never expected to say such a thing, but Paula Patton killed it. Great performance and great character, probably the best written of the film. And I'm soooo grateful that the "love story" was actually just a promotional thing. One of the highlight of the movie. Absolutely perfect.

- Lady Taria was very good. Not a big role, but she was good.

- Callan was probably supposed to be there for emotional purpose, but he had just a few scenes. Probably due to the production cut for the film. When he dies, I felt bad only because of Lothar and because it's always sad to see a young guy dying like that. But I wasn't connected with his character at all

Orcs now...

- Durotan was a great character, really likeable. But... I expected him to have much more screentime. He felt like a secondary character at times, while in others he felt like the leading. Strange feeling. But in every scene he was great. Very emotional also.

- Orgrim was reeeaaaally underused in the first half, but great in the second half. He's the one who says the line that almost made me cry in one scene. "I follow a true orc!"

- Draka had not much screentime, but she was awesome. Also, she was one of the best VFX-wise.

- Gul'dan was fantastic. A great villain. His scenes were all interesting to see, and his face was the most interesting to watch somehow. CGI there was beautifully made. I didn't expect that the orcs at times dared to go against him. I mean, not only Durotan and Orgrim, but also the green orcs.

- Blackhand was a pleasant surprise. I expected him to be a one-side character, but he turned out to be multi-dimensional. Very faithful to the orcs tradition, so much that he almost went against Gul'dan in one scene

- Thrall. Well, he stole the show

Last thing I want to say is that the very last scene, the very last shot (the one right before the credits start)... well, that was awesome.

My vote is a solid 8/10.
    I saw it with my mother (who doesn't know anything about Warcraft and she acutally isn't much fond of fantasy movies) and she had a great time. She said the story was easy to follow, except for some of the subplots, and some of the names.
    Maybe for a non-fan this film would be a 7/10.

I plan to watch it again next week and this time I bring a bunch of friends of mine with me. One of them is familiar with Warcraft III, while the other ones only with HearthStone.

Quote Originally Posted by Son of Sniglet View Post
    well it's the best way for them to save money if they have a known stinker on their hands.
    IT might be better to say one they don't have a lot of faith in. Let me give you one perspective. This movie is being released in many countries over about 2 months. Why? So that the drop off will seem lower then if they had a worldwide release. More movie economics in play. Cut marketing a bit as well. We all know marketing wasn't a strong point for this film.

They expect some money in return for the effort but they trim marketing to cut that corner to make sure ROI can be higher in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Anduin94 View Post
    Watched it.
    And....... it has flaws, but damn, I had a really great time!

Let's start with the bad things, so I can get rid of them immediately.

CONS:
    I understand the criticism to the pacing, especially in the first 20 mins*of the movie, everything is so fast, leaving really few moments to establish the various characters.

Also, I found Medivh a bit disappointing as a character. Ben Foster's performance was great, but the character himself really disappointed me. His storyline was kinda too stretched and repetitive. I expected him to be one of the best, and he turned out to be one of the worst. Only towards the end I appreciated him though. But I expected much better.

Callan's role in the movie should have been a very emotional one, but again, the fast pacing probably let him have only a few scenes so I didn't care much about him sadly.

About Orgrim, Draka, Taria, Llane... they were all decently used, but I guess that I would have get a bigger emotional link with them if they had more scenes. But they were decent. Orgrim was so underused in the first half, but in the second half I loved him. Llane needed more screentime, but with his last scene he became memorable to me, and brought life to one of the best scenes in the movie.

The humor scenes were just a few, but I guess I spoiled myself almost all of them with the clips/trailers, so maybe it's just me.

PRO:
    It's a really fun film, incredibly enjoyable! If there's one good thing about the fast pacing, is that you never get bored.

The world is incredible and the details so perfect. That's a flawless thing about the film.

Visually, it was flawless. The orcs feel real and they are great to watch. This needs an Oscar nomination (and probably a win, if it weren't for The Jungle Book) for VFX. And I didn't even watch it in iMax.

The soundtrack was good, but IMO it's better in the album that in the film somehow. But it's very good anyway, fits so well with the scenes.

The directing was generally good, with some GREAT shots and camera movements here and there. You can clearly see it's not a random director, but the great Duncan Jones (loved his Sergio Leone's style in a few scenes).

The characters... let's start with the humans:

- Lothar was great. His introduction was rushed, but Travis Fimmel was so good in his acting that that wasn't a big problem. When something happens , he starts to have a depth and you can see his human side much more. His performance was pure gold, great charisma in every scene, best human actor without a doubt.

- Medivh, as I said before, was a let-down to me. Ben Foster is amazing, but maybe not the best face for Medivh, and his scenes IMO were a bit repetitive and not interesting, at least until 3/4 of the movie, when his role starts to make more sense.

- Khadgar was played very well by Ben Schnetzer. I like his interaction with Lothar and the fact he looks like a comic relief of the film. He wasn't memorable, but he was likeable.

- Llane was decent. Not great, not bad. Just decent, although his last scene made him memorable.

- Garona was the real surprise. Incredibly perfect for the role, never expected to say such a thing, but Paula Patton killed it. Great performance and great character, probably the best written of the film. And I'm soooo grateful that the "love story" was actually just a promotional thing. One of the highlight of the movie. Absolutely perfect.

- Lady Taria was very good. Not a big role, but she was good.

- Callan was probably supposed to be there for emotional purpose, but he had just a few scenes. Probably due to the production cut for the film. When he dies, I felt bad only because of Lothar and because it's always sad to see a young guy dying like that. But I wasn't connected with his character at all

Orcs now...

- Durotan was a great character, really likeable. But... I expected him to have much more screentime. He felt like a secondary character at times, while in others he felt like the leading. Strange feeling. But in every scene he was great. Very emotional also.

- Orgrim was reeeaaaally underused in the first half, but great in the second half. He's the one who says the line that almost made me cry in one scene. "I follow a true orc!"

- Draka had not much screentime, but she was awesome. Also, she was one of the best VFX-wise.

- Gul'dan was fantastic. A great villain. His scenes were all interesting to see, and his face was the most interesting to watch somehow. CGI there was beautifully made. I didn't expect that the orcs at times dared to go against him. I mean, not only Durotan and Orgrim, but also the green orcs.

- Blackhand was a pleasant surprise. I expected him to be a one-side character, but he turned out to be multi-dimensional. Very faithful to the orcs tradition, so much that he almost went against Gul'dan in one scene

- Thrall. Well, he stole the show

Last thing I want to say is that the very last scene, the very last shot (the one right before the credits start)... well, that was awesome.

My vote is a solid 8/10.
    I saw it with my mother (who doesn't know anything about Warcraft and she acutally isn't much fond of fantasy movies) and she had a great time. She said the story was easy to follow, except for some of the subplots, and some of the names.
    Maybe for a non-fan this film would be a 7/10.

I plan to watch it again next week and this time I bring a bunch of friends of mine with me. One of them is familiar with Warcraft III, while the other ones only with HearthStone.
    Really glad you liked it.

I just realized Blackhand may be my fav character in this movie!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by loppy88 View Post

Blackhand was great in the film. He, Garona, and Gul'dan I think are my favourite characters in the movie personally. I am a huge sucker for villains/antagonists and neither Gul'dan or Blackhand disappointed in this regard.

Quote Originally Posted by loppy88 View Post

He was well written. It's not just a blood-thirsty orc, and that surprised me.

Deleted
    Just come back from seeing the movie here in the UK!!!!! And I loved it

Yes, it was fast paced and a bit choppy, but in a cinema environment you really don't mind. Durotan was awesome (and very vunerable?), really liked Lothar too, as well as Khadgar and Medivh. I know the humans were getting some slack but I liked their more grounded acting (looking at you my king) amongst all the crazy monsters and magic. Guldan is an evil bastard, Blackhand powerful and woth some humanity and my fave character in lore Orgrim is a bit left out, but comes around near the end.

They really captured the look of the universe, my eyes kept darting around to spot every detail. And to top it off, this is just a tiny part of this huge universe. I really hope we get a sequel to really get blown away by war with the full alliance as well as trolls, ogres and goblins.

One thing that bugged me is they put text up telling you where we are eg. Ironforge, Stormwind, but we didn't get one for Dalaran?
    Had to explain to someone with me where the character was. Oh and another nitpick, coming from the person with me- How did the orcs, these big green hulk things, ride on the horses without it struggling??

Anyway, really enjoyed the movie and the easter eggs within. Anyone who hasn't seen it yet, be prepared to spot alot of Warchiefs, oh and enjoy the movie!! Its only the beginning...

Quote Originally Posted by quras View Post
    IT might be better to say one they don't have a lot of faith in. Let me give you one perspective. This movie is being released in many countries over about 2 months. Why? So that the drop off will seem lower then if they had a worldwide release. More movie economics in play. Cut marketing a bit as well. We all know marketing wasn't a strong point for this film.

They expect some money in return for the effort but they trim marketing to cut that corner to make sure ROI can be higher in the end.
    I am really surprised to hear that they dropped the ball on marketing in the UK, I literally can't go anywhere in Berlin without encountering 'Warcraft' promotion...

Quote Originally Posted by Eggroll View Post
    I am really surprised to hear that they dropped the ball on marketing in the UK, I literally can't go anywhere in Berlin without encountering 'Warcraft' promotion...
    I guessing they went by some statistics for targeted marketing. We know China got hammered with marketing if you search around a bit. I'm sure it's different overall. I can't say there has been a big hit to the US. Marketing is one place they seem to have decided to save a little money on overall. However, millions was still spent.
    Last edited by quras; 2016-06-01 at 08:36 PM.

Deleted
    Well Ive seen it and its not as bad as expected and thankfully better then the BvS mess but still not a good movie cause it has way to many issues.
    Not only the pacing and to many stories at all but also the CGI looked like my movie partner said kinda silly when you look at the orcs hand but
    my biggest turn off was the 5cent plastic ears of the night elfs....lotr has shown that they can be done better and hell at every star trek convention
    you see waaay better elf ears.

overall a 4/10

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummockelchen View Post
    Well Ive seen it and its not as bad as expected and thankfully better then the BvS mess but still not a good movie cause it has way to many issues.
    Not only the pacing and to many stories at all but also the CGI looked like my movie partner said kinda silly when you look at the orcs hand but
    my biggest turn off was the 5cent plastic ears of the night elfs....lotr has shown that they can be done better and hell at every star trek convention
    you see waaay better elf ears.

overall a 4/10
    And you just lost all credibility.

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoibert View Post
    Local cinema had to cancel some screenings to make room for Warcraft.
    Bold part - hue hue (only those who saw SDCC leak will get it ).

But yeah, it's crazy here as well. They've had the first screening (next Wednesday) on their site for a few weeks now, in all 15 cities/town where they have cinemas. From the very start, you could only buy tickets, and not reserve them. Just as a comparison, they never do this with movies (putting them up so early). Well, there are exceptions, like Star Wars: The Force Awakens. But yeah, a week ago, they had to start putting other screenings on the same day because the premier screenings were sold out, and now they've started putting them up for the whole week, all the way up to Sunday.

I went to watch it again tonight and the movie is still as good the second time! Actually a little bit better, since I ignored the danish subs this time and followed the movie better. I noticed a lot more of the characters, the acting and the small details everywhere! I critisized Durotan's little screen time first time I watched it, but this time I noticed a lot more of him! He is simply the best!

I went with 3 friends, none of them were really into WoW or Warcraft. And they all loved it. They all gave it about 8/10 (one gave it 8/10, one gave it 8.5/10 and one couldn't decide, but either an 8/10 or an 9/10)

Again, shows that non-fans can enjoy the movie as well. HECK! There was an old lady in the cinema! She was with a group of people, but! An old lady?! Come on that is so badass!

Really excited for a sequel. I really want to see more of Orgrim, surely he will be one of the main characters right?

Deleted
    https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/tee...f_the_shadows/

17% for the turtles.

Even if I really dislike it, I feel sad for the fans. I know what they could endure. :d

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Quote Originally Posted by Isurith View Post
    https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/tee...f_the_shadows/

17% for the turtles.

Even if I really dislike it, I feel sad for the fans. I know what they could endure. :d
    Well, there's a film that actually deserves it. The dialogue alone - well, at least from what I've been able to see in the trailers - is absolutely horrendous. Mindless and facepalm-worthy to the point that everything else I might have seen in the trailer became naught but a brief, blurry and unmemorable pause to save my brain from involuntarily launching my hand towards my head with such momentum that the skull would have been crushed.

To think that Warcraft has a similar rating... Well, I shudder at the thought. I can only hope it is a case of critical irrationality rather than a reflection of reality.
    Last edited by Wikiy; 2016-06-01 at 09:55 PM.