Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    People are too young to remember Q3, HL and HL2 by looks of things. Those heady days when FPSs ruled them all. Sad times.

I'm not so much surprised by the popularity, but by who it's popular with; it seems to have brought people into FPSs who've never been in to them before, and been a hit with them. Blizzard have done a fantastic job with this and so long as its supported with new maps, skins, heroes etc. I can see it lasting a long time.
    Last edited by Jessicka; 2016-06-02 at 08:47 AM.

Because of this game I decided to finally buy new monitor and its 32''. I need to see my POTG's in epic size! Also gonna buy GTX 1070 when it's out as currently I can't play on epic settings

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by woozie21 View Post
    They gave us some numbers from beta that should be the same as they are now and that were that less then a 1% of the time a solo queuer will run into a premade.
    I do solo queue most of the time and the times I am sure it was a premade would probably be a hand full of games out of the 250 I played so far.

There are better players on the other team sometimes that can make it look like a premade (I stomped a match in 2 minutes on temple of anubis last night on attack while in solo queue).
    The other team said "O premade, thanks blizz" but we were totally random.
    Just all knowing what to pick (I went pharah, rest was 2x winston, 1 mercy, 1 genji and a reaper).
    I'm really only running into them later at night (after 10 pm my time). It's only been a few but it's been enough to leave a very unpleasant taste in my mouth. I can tell it's a premade when we're facing the exact same group multiple matches in a row and the names don't change at all. Generally you'll have at least one person team swapped or new people come in within a few matches. When it's not happening, they're good, and you're getting stomped, plus they're chaining their ults (so you know they're probably on voice chat), it's pretty clear when it's a premade.

I never assume it on a single match, but after multiple versus the same people with no changes? Yeah, then I leave.

Deleted
    Getting premades sucks, but it's rather rare. Usually they're just better. Either way, if there's no point to a game, leave and find another one. There's not even a penalty for that. Cheesus.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Its really not surprising. In the end, blizzard is one of few developers who still have their "legend" so any new IP by them would draw alot of interest. Add to that massive hype campaign (all the promo material, giving beta keys to popular streamers etc) and its obvious that it would be as popular as it is now.

That being said, we need to wait 3-6 months to see how popular it will be once the hype and novelty wears off.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    Its really not surprising. In the end, blizzard is one of few developers who still have their "legend" so any new IP by them would draw alot of interest. Add to that massive hype campaign (all the promo material, giving beta keys to popular streamers etc) and its obvious that it would be as popular as it is now.

That being said, we need to wait 3-6 months to see how popular it will be once the hype and novelty wears off.
    I'm not sure what handing out Beta keys to streamers really does for hype. It just strikes me very much as an object in preaching to the converted, as the streamers and their audiences are already pretty much locked in in interest already. They seem pretty tight echo-chamber communities unto themselves.

Like I say, the real surprise to me is how popular it's proving with people who traditionally weren't FPS players.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakushisai View Post
    Just like cardstone would die fast, or wow, or diablo. Blizzard games last, they don't die fast.
    HS had new content every 4 months or so.
    WoW lost 5 mil subs in a couple of months because no content.
    d3 was almost nonexistent until they actually released expansion and started making patches and changes to gameplay every couple of months

what was your point again?

Quote Originally Posted by Sarevokcz View Post
    HS had new content every 4 months or so.
    d3 was almost nonexistent until they actually released expansion and started making patches and changes to gameplay every couple of months

what was your point again?
    there will be patches, tweaks and free content for OW

what was your point again ?

Quote Originally Posted by Evolixe View Post
    I want the game to change and evolve.
    That's not how FPS's work.

Quote Originally Posted by Life-Binder View Post
    there will be patches, tweaks and free content for OW

what was your point again ?
    apparently way too much for you to understand?

but since you asked, my point was the fact, that even Blizzard games do die if they get too repetitive and boring too quickly and that they should keep at updating the game(s) if they want to see them last for years, they failed with starcraft and barely made it work in diablo and WoD, so if anything, they should take a note from HS and keep it fresh... which means more than couple of minuscule nerfs or buffs and maybe a small change or two to couple of maps...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by hulkgor View Post
    well look at COD how that started with WW2 shooter then COD 4 made it a great game and modernised it and now you have black ops 3 which is just a joke with parkour and jetpacks n shit, FPS games do evolve but in CODS case its not evolved for the good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FurryFoxWolf View Post
    well look at COD how that started with WW2 shooter then COD 4 made it a great game and modernised it and now you have black ops 3 which is just a joke with parkour and jetpacks n shit, FPS games do evolve but in CODS case its not evolved for the good.
    That's not evolving, that's entirely different games under the same franchise.

I don't get why some people want every game to be like the other games. Like okay, Overwatch doesn't have any mods (you can argue that "brawl" might be a mod) or might possibly not change significantly in the near future. But use your heads for a minute here, Dota 2 and CS:GO, arguably the two biggest multiplayer games at the moment are both very consistent and rarely make any huge changes. There are custom maps in Dota 2 but when looking at numbers and what people put their hours into it's 80% ranked all pick, the "original mode".

I don't play Overwatch alot, 1-2 hours per day at tops, but I can see it have a very stable and active playerbase. It's got infinite replayability (like Dota 2, like CS:GO), every match is different from the other and you can approach it in very different ways. And you can make damn sure that they'll add maps, skins, heroes etc to this game so i don't understand the naysayers when their main argument is "mods and change", it was never about that, go play a different game.

And i already know several friends who "accidently" bought loot boxes, lol. They be making money.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarevokcz View Post
    To be fair they mainly lost the people re-subbing for WoD in that time, which was an incredible high number.
    They wouldn't have stayed no matter how much content there was.
    Mother pus bucket!

Quote Originally Posted by tankbug View Post
    To be fair they mainly lost the people re-subbing for WoD in that time, which was an incredible high number.
    They wouldn't have stayed no matter how much content there was.
    I was one of them, played 2-3 months and left. Just isnt the same game anymore, regardless of content.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    I'm not sure what handing out Beta keys to streamers really does for hype. It just strikes me very much as an object in preaching to the converted, as the streamers and their audiences are already pretty much locked in in interest already. They seem pretty tight echo-chamber communities unto themselves.

Like I say, the real surprise to me is how popular it's proving with people who traditionally weren't FPS players.
    Free exposure ? Making so the game is actively talked about ? Making so more and more people are likely to stumble across it ? Its really not that hard to figure out.

It is nice to queue up and constantly get new people to play against, in beta it was to the point that you knew who everyone was and who they liked to play so you could see them at the beginning of a map and know what they were bringing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Life-Binder View Post
    .. you dont get much more dynamic of a gameplay in an FPS than OW
    I definitely do not agree.

Quote Originally Posted by procne View Post
    Out of the curiosity - was there ever a game that you were content with how fast it changed and evolved? I am suspecting you are simply burning through content so fast that any game gets boring for you within a couple of days.

It's a bit suprising to me that someone says "Because that's what this game needs. Constant changing" a week after the release of a game. Any game.
    It's just that every match feels pretty much like the last one. I don't like either of the gamemodes (point capture is done in <2mins if held by 1 team constantly, which is way too fucking fast) and payload is just lol. Game is absolutely unplayable without a premade group for various reasons.. I mean the list goes on.

I can enjoy a handful of games when I'm playing with esports grade players. But even then after a couple of hours at most I'll be done with it.
    Truthfully I don't even like playing it with my friends. Because when we lose, I know there was so much more that could've been done not to.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by hulkgor View Post
    This isn't CoD. Plenty of things could be changed.

As mentioned in another thread, I'm already losing steam, and spending more time bitching about it than playing; which of course isn't a good sign for me.

That said, I'm in general finding multiplayer to be disappointing and I've even considered after a lifetime of it, just going to SP titles exclusively. They don't capture me like they once used to and I think that's due to the going modern philosophy of them and their general shallowness. Both socially and in their very makeup.

10+ Year Old Account
    They haven't releases sales numbers yet as far as im aware, so idk why you think they sold 10m copies.