Page 32 of 77 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    As always it's better to wait for the custom designs and go by the reviews and then maybe preorder the custom design you want.
    Shall do, I won't rush in to it then!

Quote Originally Posted by Stonecloak View Post
    Maybe it's just smoke and mirrors, but it seems like there's quite the demand for the gtx 1080, which would be an enthusiast card no?
    Based on what? Forum posts?

You won't see pages of posts discussing something like the 750 Ti that I have but I'll bet it was probably one of the top selling AIB GPU's of the last few years. I have no doubt the upcoming 75W and 150W cards from green and red will probably sell 10x (or greater) the number of units any of their $600 cards might be able to shift.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    The 1070 FE is even higher, it is launching at 449 dollars. If the RX 480 8GB is selling for 230 dollars, you could have two of those for the price of one 1070, and two 480s will likely perform better given the performance predictions.
    Not a big fan of two GPU setups. AMD makes a good point, but I would spend the extra $100 or more for the 1080. Traditionally CrossFire or SLI have been meh. But another thing to think about is the used market. How much are 970's and R9 390's going to sell for now? So far on Ebay a used R9 390 is about $250ish. The more people that have good performing graphic cards, the better it is for everyone. Especially if the RX 480 uses next to nothing on power, cause a lot of people lack good quality PSU's. We're talking about people who went to BestBuy who bought a pre-built PC with a PSU made from StarPower or StarFox in China.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Awesome. I may be getting me a new card in the near future then if its at lease 20% better then my GTX 970.
    I really don't get this. Upgrading for a 20% performance 'jump'? That's going from 30 fps to 36 or improving graphic quality maybe one notch. I would be hard pressed to notice the difference at all.

Just replaced a 100$ keyboard with a 150$ one myself, which also many people would find questionable; but really can't wrap my head around spending several hundred dollar for a marginal performance boost. Somebody enlighten me?

And on topic, gonna order one of these cards as soon as custome models are out. Never used a GPU for so long since buying my first gaming PC more than 20 years ago and should be a more than marginal upgrade compared to a 7850 with even lower power consumption.
    Last edited by mmocabce60bc47; 2016-06-01 at 09:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    That's what I'm hoping for. Cause right now a GTX 1070/1080 is overkill cause PC games revolve around PS4 graphics. But if enough people have superior gaming PCs, then game developers may have a change in heart about making PC exclusives. Especially when you consider VR.

While I don't disagree, from the looks of it both PS4 and Xbox one are rumored to get a significant performance upgrade and you can bet both Sony and Ms are going to do their best to show that off, hopefully with not too many exclusives.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorianrage View Post
    Cost of hardware has always been the biggest issue, thats been the reason why console game sales destroy PC game sales not to mention some really badly made ports, I've barely been buying any games due to this, its also partly why I've boycotted Ubisoft entirely thanks to Watchdogs, as long as the high price tag remains which Nvidia seems to increase, we will see more games like that along with batman.
    Its quite interesting IMO.

Nivida wants to keep raising that price tag while AMD seems to want to lower it.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    Its quite interesting IMO.

Nivida wants to keep raising that price tag while AMD seems to want to lower it.
    AMD needs to increase their market-share. Nvidia doesn't need to be concerned about it at all.

And the fact that Nvidia's marketing team is genius also helps, they use all the tactics possible to sell less for more while making people believe that they're getting more.

Quote Originally Posted by thevoicefromwithin View Post
    I really don't get this. Upgrading for a 20% performance 'jump'? That's going from 30 fps to 36 or improving graphic quality maybe one notch. I would be hard pressed to notice the difference at all.

Just replaced a 100$ keyboard with a 150$ one myself, which also many people would find questionable; but really can't wrap my head around spending several hundred dollar for a marginal performance boost. Somebody enlighten me?

And on topic, gonna order one of these cards as soon as custome models are out. Never used a GPU for so long since buying my first gaming PC more than 20 years ago and should be a more than marginal upgrade compared to a 7850 with even lower power consumption.
    To be honest its because I want to get away from Nivida and.......oooohhh card is shinny.

If I do make the jump to the RX 480 ill be buying two (If they out perform the 1080). To me its a no brainer on ether spending $400 and beating it or buying the 1080 at $600.

That $200 can be upgrades in other area's like ram. To be honest I don't need the upgrade at all, my GTX 970 does its job. My main thing is getting away from nivida because I don't like there business practice.

Edit: To add I could buy the RX 480 and sell my GTX 970

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    AMD needs to increase their market-share. Nvidia doesn't need to be concerned about it at all.

And the fact that Nvidia's marketing team is genius also helps, they use all the tactics possible to sell less for more while making people believe that they're getting more.
    That is quite true.

Don't consider me a fanboy of AMD, I just don't like Nivida.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2016-06-01 at 11:15 PM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

Deleted
    To be honest its because I want to get away from Nivida and.......oooohhh card is shinny.
    You got me at 'hello' Two of the most compelling arguments ever; I tend to purchase similarly - even when buying cars...

Quote Originally Posted by thevoicefromwithin View Post
    You got me at 'hello' Two of the most compelling arguments ever; I tend to purchase similarly - even when buying cars...
    Try doing it when ur broke LOL. If I am able to get the cards it won't be until Oct at best. So by then ill get to see many benchmarks and see if its worth it or not. My other thing two is I am not sure if my PSU can run two cards. Not 100% sure if I got two 6pin connectors or not.

I may get one and wait if need be. I do need to upgrade my ram (Because why not).

10+ Year Old Account
    I would keep the 970 for as long as possible. Whatever evil tactics Nvidia is pushing, it shouldn't effect your purchase decision. You wouldn't benefit much getting a RX 480, so if I were you I would just hold onto the 970.

If you really want to punish Nvidia, help other people make fiscally responsible decisions when it comes to buying GPUs. Even if that means Nvidia is clearly the better purchase. Nvidia's biggest strength is fanboyism. We don't want to fight Nvidia fanboys with AMD fanboys. I don't like putting a company on a high pedestal cause they almost always disappoint. For all we know AMD is gearing up to sell itself to Samsung. Once Polaris and Zen are released, their value goes up and AMD is suddenly sold.

We want companies to fight each other for our money and right now NvTel are stagnating the industry. Skylake is 3% faster than Haswell, and the 1080 is Maxwell 16nm FinFET edition, which shows how screwed we are. Because there's no growth in the PC industry, both Nvidia and Intel have moved their focus on the mobile industry. Which is probably where Nvidia's engineers are busy working on, instead of a proper successor to Maxwell. Meanwhile ARM isn't standing still for Nvidia.
    If I do make the jump to the RX 480 ill be buying two (If they out perform the 1080). To me its a no brainer on ether spending $400 and beating it or buying the 1080 at $600.
    It makes sense, until you realize how reliant you are on driver updates to get the performance increase. Each game needs a profile to support this feature, and since very few people have more than 1 graphics card, almost no game supports two GPUs. Maybe DX12 will change that, but I would rather play it safe and own a faster card than try to make my PC into Voltron.

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree, I'm just grabbing one and then giving to my buddy for xmas later this year (upgrade from his 270) and then grabbing a Vega. My current 390 (it fits but its sitting on the PSU which is a no no of course) doesn't fit into a Fractal Nano case unfortunately so it needs to be replaced.
    Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo!

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    I would keep the 970 for as long as possible. Whatever evil tactics Nvidia is pushing, it shouldn't effect your purchase decision. You wouldn't benefit much getting a RX 480, so if I were you I would just hold onto the 970.

If you really want to punish Nvidia, help other people make fiscally responsible decisions when it comes to buying GPUs. Even if that means Nvidia is clearly the better purchase. Nvidia's biggest strength is fanboyism. We don't want to fight Nvidia fanboys with AMD fanboys. I don't like putting a company on a high pedestal cause they almost always disappoint. For all we know AMD is gearing up to sell itself to Samsung. Once Polaris and Zen are released, their value goes up and AMD is suddenly sold.

We want companies to fight each other for our money and right now NvTel are stagnating the industry. Skylake is 3% faster than Haswell, and the 1080 is Maxwell 16nm FinFET edition, which shows how screwed we are. Because there's no growth in the PC industry, both Nvidia and Intel have moved their focus on the mobile industry. Which is probably where Nvidia's engineers are busy working on, instead of a proper successor to Maxwell. Meanwhile ARM isn't standing still for Nvidia.

It makes sense, until you realize how reliant you are on driver updates to get the performance increase. Each game needs a profile to support this feature, and since very few people have more than 1 graphics card, almost no game supports two GPUs. Maybe DX12 will change that, but I would rather play it safe and own a faster card than try to make my PC into Voltron.
    I agree and that's a good point. Like I said before I don't really need to upgrade (Besides maybe ram). It all really depends the performance of the RX 480 if I get one or not.

I have always wan'ted to SLI/Cross-Fire but never have since cost sucks. So if the RX 480x2 is better then a 1080 ill consider it. You are right tho about drivers and that does suck.

I don't really game hard enough on my PC to warn major upgrades right now. Its kinda a if I have the spare money I may do it. If there next card equals a 1080 and is much cheaper I may just get that and be happy.

I wanna see benchmarks tho damit lol.

I'm not really familiar with graphic cards. Is this new Radeon an overkill for playing Legion with Ultra Settings ? Or is it just right ?

Quote Originally Posted by The Sun View Post
    I'm not really familiar with graphic cards. Is this new Radeon an overkill for playing Legion with Ultra Settings ? Or is it just right ?
    I'd say it's just right. It's pretty much aimed at the 1080p popular gaming market.

Probably about right for WoW on 1080p on ultra settings.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would argue that most graphic cards on the market are overkill for Legion. The CPU is usually the limiting factor for WoW. Also, Polaris 10 is the $200 RX 480, while Polaris 11 is going to be cheaper and slower. How much cheaper and slower I don't know. If you're on a budget, like a really tight budget, and just want a graphics for WoW, you might want to wait for Polaris 11.

And yes, Polaris 11 is a higher number but a slower graphics card than Polaris 10. Why? Cause AMD.

Deleted
    Some interesting additional tidbits about Polaris

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/di...ng-performance

We also know Apple will be using polaris in the mac books.

We also know other OEM laptops will be using Polaris.

AMD has a lot of customers already lined up for these gpus, no wonder they are launching later then the 1070/1080, thats a huge demand if true when alongside the desktop, something tells me yields are actually very good and its just sheer volume production to meet.

I really do wonder if the future surface will use Polaris, I can also see samsung potentially use Polaris in their high end tablets or phablets.

We also have the rumoured XB1 scorpio which will most likely use AMD still.

With so many contracted vendors potentially using Polaris, I am unsure how gameworks will be compelling to devs to use if you consider all of that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Some interesting additional tidbits about Polaris

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/di...ng-performance

We also know Apple will be using polaris in the mac books.

We also know other OEM laptops will be using Polaris.

AMD has a lot of customers already lined up for these gpus, no wonder they are launching later then the 1070/1080, thats a huge demand if true when alongside the desktop, something tells me yields are actually very good and its just sheer volume production to meet.

I really do wonder if the future surface will use Polaris, I can also see samsung potentially use Polaris in their high end tablets or phablets.

With so many contracted vendors potentially using Polaris, I am unsure how gameworks will be compelling to devs to use if you consider all of that.
    Yeah, AMD has contracts with a bunch of different companies. Apple, Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo are clear examples. Apple will probably use Polaris 11 at their 5K Macs too, at that resolution using Intel's integrated graphics is painful.

The rumored spec for the PS4 neo is using the same hardware as the RX 480.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/di...sony-making-it