Poll: ?

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Alnilam81 View Post
    Yeah I hate those "greedy fat cats" that foolishly want money for products, what assholes. As long as the business make enough it's fine to steal from them.
    yeah they want money for a game yeah im fine with that its when they start making loads of in game DLC transactions that annoys me, i remember when map packs and weapon skins used to be free on pc games now there considered a premium for any sucker who wants to pay for them

Quote Originally Posted by Snowraven View Post
    It should stay illegal for 10 years. This gives the creators enough time to milk it while giving a chance for other people experience it for free or use the ideas to create even better things
    This is currently a big problem in pharmaceutical ideas for example, where a company holds a patent to life saving drugs and sells them for thousands of dollars just to get rich. You shouldn't be allowed to gamble with peoples' lives like that.

Why? Because it would mean that someone who creates something nice can't just stay there to milk it for the rest of their lives while poor stupid blokes can't access their ideas. It would allow other companies to use ideas for the betterment of humankind after the 10 years have passed since more brains are better than 1. It would allow access to scientific papers now locked behind several paywalls and using those ideas to advance scientifically as a people, as a planet.

In 10 years most of the income already starts to dry out anyway unless you come with something new. Imagine having played Classical WoW for 15 years for example, since games are also mentioned. You'd have gotten bored no matter how much you loved it eventually. But Blizzard brought new expansions so they innovated. Things like this should happen in technology, pharmaceutical companies etc too. Instead companies can milk a product for several decades now without improving it whatsoever if people need it.
    Can you give an example? People don't need WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    How would I know if the bar owner has the money or not? Why would they hire me if they did not have the money? How do content creators know when distributing it online? Why watch it if you don't have the money? You might want to stop yourself, it's only getting more embarrassing for you tbh.

It is entirely the bar's fault for not paying me, you literally reversed the victim/perpetrator in that situation.
    the scenario you presented has nothing to do with mine, UNLESS you already know the bar does NOT have any money to pay you when you work there

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    No. The developers of those need to make money or we will never get good quality games and movies. Plus pirating is stealing.

The creator does not get paid.
    Explain why the creator deserves to get paid?

Quote Originally Posted by Grym View Post
    Yes I think it should stay illegal, and not only that, they need to increase the punishment to deter people from doing so.

If you cannot afford something, you shouldn't get it.
    It's not about affording it.

the RIAA and MPAA act like every download is a lost ticket sale, but that is simply not the case.

for example, I download Game of thrones every single sunday. am I depriving HBO? no..

1, I pay for netflix
    2, I pay for Amazon
    3, I pay for the highest TV package on Virgin
    4, I pay for top tier internet.
    5, I pay for my tv license.
    6, I pay for Sky channels (GoT is on here.)

so, should I be prosecuted? I mean, they cannot get any more money from me. and I am infact a 'paying customer' but I choose to watch early monday before work because the world is full of spoilers.

I have copies on my pc of deadpool, 13 hours.. but I also paid to see them both at the cinema. I have not deprived them of revenue.

Piracy is not all black and white, when the studios and TV networks do things so stupidly release wise they can suck it up. I.e Arrow/Flash.. are like 5 weeks behind on TV in the UK. so if I want to stay current, which I do. I have to DL them. I am paying my tv package/licenses. so not depriving them.

EDIT: when it comes to games I honestly do not care. if somebody is too broke to afford it, crack on. for me, gaming is 100% about multiplayer. so piracy in games doesn't really work with that. as for other media like music.. I tend to buy cos im lazy. not cos I have some moral code about it. same with kindle books etc. it's just easier to pay and have it sent to device :P
    Last edited by Raldazzar; 2016-06-04 at 11:43 PM.
    "There are no substitutes for violence of action and volume of fire. Move forward and shoot, always forward and shooting. The enemy will choose to fight and die or live and run either way move forward and shoot and he will fear you absolutely."
    - Otto Skoernzy

Quote Originally Posted by Raldazzar View Post

the RIAA and MPAA act like every download is a lost ticket sale, but that is simply not the case.

for example, I download Game of thrones every single sunday. am I depriving HBO? no..

1, I pay for netflix
    2, I pay for Amazon

so, should I be prosecuted? I mean, they cannot get any more money from me. and I am infact a 'paying customer' but I choose to watch early monday before work because the world is full of spoilers.

I have copies on my pc of deadpool, 13 hours.. but I also paid to see them both at the cinema. I have not deprived them of revenue.

Piracy is not all black and white, when the studios and TV networks do things so stupidly release wise they can suck it up. I.e Arrow/Flash.. are like 5 weeks behind on TV in the UK. so if I want to stay current, which I do. I have to DL them. I am paying my tv package/licenses. so not depriving them.
    This, exactly. I find it hilarious that you're calling people who pay for their PC, pay for their internet, thieves because they use services they pay for to do the things those services are intended to be done with. Next, you're going to call PC gamers thieves for playing multiplayer without paying extra for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Raldazzar View Post

1, I pay for netflix
    2, I pay for Amazon

EDIT: when it comes to games I honestly do not care. if somebody is too broke to afford it, crack on. for me, gaming is 100% about multiplayer. so piracy in games doesn't really work with that. as for other media like music.. I tend to buy cos im lazy. not cos I have some moral code about it. same with kindle books etc. it's just easier to pay and have it sent to device :P
    You don't need to do that though, Sky have actually been really good with GoT and should be commended, you can watch it on demand straight after it airs in the US, before they even broadcast it themselves on Monday evening. I watch it every Monday lunchtime that way.

Other channels are awful though, Channel 4 is often many weeks behind the US, and with shows like Agents of Shield it's damn annoying when episodes tie into a films release but the don't line up as they should and end up spoiling stuff.

Edit: Regarding Sky with Flash series 2, I think the only reason we were behind for the second half of this season is so that they could do one continuous run of episodes week after week, where as the US had numerous breaks. Ultimately we finished the season within a week of the finale airing in the US, which is pretty good.
    Last edited by Alnilam81; 2016-06-04 at 11:53 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    Can you give an example? People don't need WoW.
    An example of something that is locked behind copyright laws that people need?

Information regarding cancer studies, for example. Currently only companies that make them have access to them, and, when/if they decide to share, they do at huge prices for all eternity. However, if said research would become free eventually, other companies could actively know already what has been tried and what has not when trying to make a cure, thus also lowering their costs they would have used in either buying the research or wasting money doing the same research again.

An example of something that is locked behind copyright laws that people need?

Information regarding cancer studies, for example. Currently only companies that make them have access to them, and, when/if they decide to share, they do at huge prices for all eternity. However, if said research would become free eventually, other companies could actively know already what has been tried and what has not when trying to make a cure, thus also lowering their costs they would have used in either buying the research or wasting money doing the same research again.
    I figured you'd say something like that. While I agree with you on that example, I think the premise of this thread is more about mass media; movies, music, games.

They are fighting a losing battle - they should just give up. Most ppl arent guna pay for something they can simply get for free..

i think it's fine if you weren't gonna buy it anyway. nothing is lost.

Going to read this thread to all the music I've never paid for.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Yes, it should still be illegal. I mean how many people take whatever it is you do for an income and steal it from you. I get that due to regulations and such some material people want access to they can't get any other way. However that isn't the case for the majority of pirates. They just don't want to pay for a service because it is there to pirate.

Quote Originally Posted by Eroginous View Post
    Explain why the creator deserves to get paid?
    Because the content is their intellectual property. Why should their creations be free instead of paid for?

Quote Originally Posted by HomeHoney View Post
    the scenario you presented has nothing to do with mine, UNLESS you already know the bar does NOT have any money to pay you when you work there
    OK, I know the bar has the money. Still stiffs me, what then? Maybe your advocating for welfare downloads? If you make past a certain point of income, piracy is illegal. If you're broke, download away!
    Last edited by kail; 2016-06-05 at 01:01 AM.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Obviously...

Only immature children or welfare babies will say No to this.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is currently a big problem in pharmaceutical ideas for example, where a company holds a patent to life saving drugs and sells them for thousands of dollars just to get rich. You shouldn't be allowed to gamble with peoples' lives like that.
    But it needs to be like that.

The cost of inventing a new drug is enormous, and companies do it by capitalising the development cost, and when the drug finally is ready for sale, it is patent and sold at high price for a fixed period of time so the companies can make their money back plus profit.

If patent is not there, there are little barrier to stop other drug companies to reverse engineer the drug then sell it at lower price (since they didn't incur the huge development cost like the original company did), so patent is important to protect the developing company.

The company is also there for profit, they are not government organisations. So other than recovering the development cost, they also need to make a profit on top of that, that is like you know, the main reason for companied to exist?

While it is sad that people's lives are put into danger because they cannot afford the new drugs, however this process keeps drugs companies keep trying to develop more new drugs, hence better for everyone in the long term.

The creator does not get paid.
    Which is no different than me not buying the song, so the only damages are based on a speculation that I would pay for the song if that was my only option. We might as well prosecute thought crimes if that's the logic were going to use.

10+ Year Old Account
    would harsher punishments deter it?

like how some cultures cut off your hand for stealing?
    Hi

Quote Originally Posted by Eroginous View Post
    1. Piracy is the act of pillaging and looting ships at sea. By definition, digital media cannot be pirated, unless that digital media is stored on a ship at sea and pirates come steal it. Your 'piracy' is anything but.

2. Our society has yet to realize the benefits of working together on anything, much less the value of sharing. Until we have clear language that defines what digital media is (legally) in a meaningful way, it's just a nonsensical argument and no one who understands the reality of the situation would support measures taken against 'piracy.'

3. There are no unique thoughts or ideas. We should probably take a step back to realize that just because you made a song or a movie, doesn't mean you're entitled to anything if people watch it. Sharing your thoughts and ideas cannot possibly be a crime, even if you get zero compensation for it.

4. Our government has proven time and time again they are a clueless lot of old fucks who don't really have a dog in this fight. Not a single politician in our government was born or raised in a time where technology was a staple in their home. Today's generation doesn't know what it's like to not have a PC or smart phone because they've not been invented yet. Politicians today take this tech for granted and shovel shit legislation around like they're doing something important or meaningful. Simply put, our legislators are unable to see the value of an open marketplace of ideas.

That's why they've let ISPs form a monopoly and done everything in their power to pass legislation that benefits no one.

5. 'Piracy' doesn't exist as a problem in the technology world. Except in cases where a cargo ship full of electronics gets looted by pirates. Yes, I put this point on there twice, because it's the most important point of them all.

Pirates aren't interested in P2P sharing.
    omg I can't tell if you are trolling or just that confused that you actually believe what you are saying