Class order halls and group leveling

Hello everyone!

Posted this on the official forums as well, but would like input from mmo-champ as well.

I would add the link but I do not have enough posts to link directly it appears (I forgot the log in details for my previous mmo-champ account)

Hello all,

first off, I have no major issues with Legion. From what I have done on beta, it seems to be one of the best expansions to date. I apologize for the next large post in advance.

However my main concern is with the experience disparity from class order halls when leveling with someone else.

First some background. Both myself and my fiancee are massive WoW fans. Hell we even met on WoW. Traditionally, we always level a lot of our characters together, but they are never the same class. Our mains (mine a paladin, her's a mage) always level together.

Now, as we want to level together, we don't like getting too far ahead of each other experience wise so we ding at about the same time. This has caused issues in the past as she is a herbalist whereas I am a miner, and the disparity in zones between nodes has meant one of us have had to stop leveling our professions in zones where there is a higher density of resources for one profession over the other. Ideally we would like the ability to turn off exp from resource gathering, but have a feeling Blizz is not interested in this.

My concern is with class order halls and the disparity between accessing them and the artifact quest lines.

For instance, the Paladin one is:
    Speak to first quest giver - Speak to Order Hall leader - Speak to two NPC's - Choose Artifact - Go get artifact - go to order hall

Whereas the Mage one is:
    Speak to First quest giver - Speak to Order Hall leader - go and do mini scenario in violet hold - speak to Order Hall leader in order hall - choose artifact - go get artifact - go to order hall.

Now, whilst there is only a few changes, there is a disparity in the EXP you will gain due to a difference in the number of quests. In regards to the artifact quest lines, these reward EXP as well, but there are of varying length depending which one you choose.

This is just to begin the Legion experience. With the addition of quests for professions, and the class order hall campaigns splitting people up, I am massively concerned about the EXP difference this will cause at various points whilst leveling, as well as the move towards making an MMO with increasing solo experiences.

TL;DR Level with fiancee. Have concerns regarding EXP differences due to the differing lengths of artifact quest lines, class order hall quest lines and profession quests.

Update 1 Just to clarify, the reason we level together is because we enjoy it. Whilst we do not mind there being a slight difference, (its to be expected with professions) a major difference is an issue. We do play characters separately, but we like to level the mains at the same time.

As such, I have conducted an experiment and got a Prot Paladin and Arcane Mage to the same point to see what the EXP difference was.

The point they got up to was handing in the breadcrumb quest in Highmountain, and obviously getting first artifact etc. They were both bone today and yesterday, so after the added quests from the last beta push.

At the end of the same stage, there was a 9% (47% for mage, 39% for paladin) difference in EXP before taking part in any content together. This may not sound like much, but the difference equates to 108 kills with no rested at level 100.
    Last edited by LeftyDPS; 2016-06-05 at 12:33 PM. Reason: Added further information

Quote Originally Posted by Kaira View Post
    Me and my SO have the same issue funnily he plays Paladin and I play Mage aswell (weird) but we came to an agreement of just doing our levelling but when we come upon dungeons and endgame content we will be doing all that together anyway and as the levelling experience never lasts overly long we just get it done and dusted.
    Hi Kaira,

We do the end game content together as well but we enjoy the experience of leveling together also. I think it is a shame that Blizz seems to be moving away from making this a viable option without gimping one persons individual progress at times.

Deleted
    Can't imagine the difference in XP is going to be huge. Perhaps 1 get a bit ahead in one zone, where the other catch up in the next zone. Even when leveling casual it would not take more than 20 hours (max) to reach level cap , and that include exploring all areas. After that you can do world quests together, which is basically questing together and.. Also a great source of gear progression

In legion all mobs and quests scale with your level, a lvl 101 character can play with a lvl 109 in the same zone and they can do the same quests.. so if your friend is 1 level higher/lower it won't matter at all

Everything scales while leveling in Legion so it doesn't matter if you are not the same level. Worst case scenario is that you or your wife has to run some normal dungeons with the other until the second person dings 110. What level you both are doesn't matter in Legion because you can do everything together anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Nirty999 View Post
    In legion all mobs and quests scale with your level, a lvl 101 character can play with a lvl 109 in the same zone and they can do the same quests.. so if your friend is 1 level higher/lower it won't matter at all
    The scaling isn't an issue, we don't mind the scaling. The issue is we like to hit max level, and preferably the levels before that, at the same time. With all the individual content being added but with various lengths for each aspect, that is going to be difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by LeftyDPS View Post
    The scaling isn't an issue, we don't mind the scaling. The issue is we like to hit max level, and preferably the levels before that, at the same time. With all the individual content being added but with various lengths for each aspect, that is going to be difficult.
    Why do you need to level at the same time? Why should blizzard spend more time and resources to design a system that lets you both hit the same level at the same time when it's completely useless and has no point?
    Last edited by Nirty999; 2016-06-05 at 09:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nirty999 View Post
    Why do you need to level at the same time? Why should blizzard spend more time and resources to design a system that lets you both hit the same level at the same time when it's completely useless and has no point?
    It may have no point to you, but it means a lot to us as leveling together is one of the few things we have time to do. I am not asking Blizzard to re-design anything due to this, I am just expressing a concern that this is a movement away from playing in groups whilst leveling, outside of doing dunbeons.

15+ Year Old Account
    I agree with some above. With the scaling system in place there is no reason for you two to hit a level at the same time. It is not like one of you will hit 105 and the other is left on 104 and you feel forced to stay behind even though you get a quest to go to a new zone or things like that. The only thing I would have an issue with is if the different class order hall had a different timer on their Order Hall Missions (the ones that take a few hours).

Instead of focusing on the leveling (as in ding'ing together) focus on doing the quests together since that is sort of all it is about. Or are you saying you would quest different if you hit a level at the same time compared to not hitting a level at the same time?

With that said however, I do agree that Class Halls and other Class specific things should be equal in Experience, but it is something really minor and the difference might end up being like 10-30 minutes or so.
    Last edited by Spl4sh3r; 2016-06-05 at 10:06 AM.

Sorry man but you have to grow some and do leveling by yourself.

PS its not that hard

Your complaining that you will be 20k XP apart?
    Thats it?

First World Problems doesnt begin to cover how utterly trivial your concern is.

go kill 2 mobs she doesnt touch and viola. your done.

Christ.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Just put your focus on enjoying the game together. Not on being on the same spot exp wise. It doesn´t matter in the end.

My wife has this focus on same level too. I just don´t get it. The game is just not that "same" for every char. And that is a plus for me. If everything were the same and 100% predictable twinking would not be enjoyable to me.

Focus on shared entertainment not on numbers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Feuerbart View Post
    Just put your focus on enjoying the game together. Not on being on the same spot exp wise. It doesn´t matter in the end.

My wife has this focus on same level too. I just don´t get it. The game is just not that "same" for every char. And that is a plus for me. If everything were the same and 100% predictable twinking would not be enjoyable to me.

Focus on shared entertainment not on numbers.
    This is a reallly good post. Wish I could upvote it. That's what my girlfriend and me do too.
    "If you are what you HAVE and you lose what you have, what then are you? But if you are what you ARE and you lose what you have, no man controls your destiny".

10+ Year Old Account
    If Legion area leveling is similar to WoD, both of you will probably have hit 110 well before you finish all the zones.

Deleted
    I know how you feel, me and my fiance were also talking about leveling together recently.

To be honest, we've always played the game together as much as we can, but with his new job working 12-8 but not home until 9, it won't be leaving us much time to play together at all. We've planned that he will take a couple days off on release if possible, and we will actually just try to get all our 100s to their order halls, get them their weapons, then decide what we want to main accordingly.

The issue for us being that I am currently not doing much work wise, so while he's working I would be entirely able to play all day and probably get to 110 within a week or two (depending how long it takes and how busy I am :P ) but I don't WANT to play it without him, so ours will be more about time management IRL rather than out leveling the other.

My plan is while he is at work, I will level a new character (still got warrior/priest/monk that aren't max yet) then when he is home and able we will play as much as we possibly can together.

TLDR version; it can be hard and I get your worry, but just be thankful it's just the EXP side of it you're most concerned about :P trying to play together at all for me is my main issue, especially because I will want to play so much xD but I will be patient and wait for him, and play and experience this new world together <3

Quote Originally Posted by Amber Lemur View Post
    TLDR version; it can be hard and I get your worry, but just be thankful it's just the EXP side of it you're most concerned about :P trying to play together at all for me is my main issue, especially because I will want to play so much xD but I will be patient and wait for him, and play and experience this new world together <3
    The only reason we worry about the exp is generally the only thing we can do together is level due to youngest child haha! (To clarify, youngest is nearly six but has severe autism so needs consistent care & support so we are unable to play outside of him being asleep, which he doesn't get much of at the best of times)

In response to the people saying I am being ridiculous, I know this isn't an issue for everyone, but it is an issue for some people, hence I thought I would make a post about it. If posts were only made when the majority agreed, there would not be as many posts on mmo-champ now would there?

Quote Originally Posted by LeftyDPS View Post
    The only reason we worry about the exp is generally the only thing we can do together is level due to youngest child haha! (To clarify, youngest is nearly six but has severe autism so needs consistent care & support so we are unable to play outside of him being asleep, which he doesn't get much of at the best of times)

In response to the people saying I am being ridiculous, I know this isn't an issue for everyone, but it is an issue for some people, hence I thought I would make a post about it. If posts were only made when the majority agreed, there would not be as many posts on mmo-champ now would there?
    I think you're focusing too much on the numbers. Just because she will be ahead of you when it comes to XP due to the order halls quests doesnt mean that you both cant enjoy the rest of the leveling experience together.
    Thanks to scaling, a lvl 109 can quest together with a lvl 103 with no problems at all, as someone already stated.

10+ Year Old Account
    you could always just turn off XP for when you go to the order halls