What does it mean to be Draenei?

I explained my idea for these threads here: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...re-and-Fantasy

I figured I'd start with Draenei, because we're having a heated discussion about Velen tonight in another thread.

Beyond Velen, what does it mean to be Draenei in Worlds of Warcraft?

You've been alive for thousands of years, and seen at least a couple of worlds. Your people have been hunted across the universe. You've been refugees, and even though you've mostly tried to do good, you've always been different from those around you. More advanced. Seen perhaps as haughty/aloof.

Your race seems to have a thing for the blue/violet end of the color spectrum. You tell dorky jokes.

You were an adult when the Exodar crashed on Azeroth. You've cast your lot with the people here and fought wars at their side. And now the Legion is coming. Again.

What does it mean to be Draenei in times like these?
    Last edited by Felfaadaern Darkterror; 2016-06-08 at 06:27 AM. Reason: Added Picture

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

7+ Year Old Account
    To be Draenei in this time would mean to uphold your honor in the fact of the horrendous acts that the Eredar have committed. Draenei imo are trying to atone for their more evil counterparts.

The Draenei were on Draenor for 200 years and children were born there so not all Draenei are necessarily very old. Since the number of Draenei that fled Argus with Velen only measured in the hundreds most likely all current Draenei are still closely related. This means every Draenei that gets killed could be a close relative.

On the other hand, the older Draenei, some of whom may still remember Argus are now going to be facing their childhood friends who have become Eredar (it would be cool if we saw some quest address this). This will certainly bring back painful memories.

Quote Originally Posted by Garfurion View Post
    The Draenei were on Draenor for 200 years and children were born there so not all Draenei are necessarily very old. Since the number of Draenei that fled Argus with Velen only measured in the hundreds most likely all current Draenei are still closely related. This means every Draenei that gets killed could be a close relative.

On the other hand, the older Draenei, some of whom may still remember Argus are now going to be facing their childhood friends who have become Eredar (it would be cool if we saw some quest address this). This will certainly bring back painful memories.
    Good point about the children. In the movie prequel, one of the character traits stressed about Draenei was how much they love their children. Chances are the Exodar carried a disproportionately young population. That would also explain how inexperienced we were leaving the crash site. Players are probably mostly from this younger set.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    To be Draenei in this time would mean to uphold your honor in the fact of the horrendous acts that the Eredar have committed. Draenei imo are trying to atone for their more evil counterparts.
    Absolutely. In Paragons, Velen himself feels burdened by his failure to dissuade Kil'Jaeden and Archimonde all those years ago.

- - - Updated - - -

Fantasy Name Generator says the inspiration for Draenei names appears to be Arabic. I think the culture may be partly inspired by the Jewish diaspora (very similar – we’re talking Ishmael and Isaac here). Refugees fleeing persecution, clinging to their faith just to hold things together, often better educated than those around them, frequently resented by the people they settle among.

7+ Year Old Account
    it means to be blue, have horns, tentacle beards and hooves.
    in other words: space goats.

Formerly known as Arafal

The rejection of fel magic and anything related to it, for it was this tempting power that corrupted almost their entire species.

I like to compare the Draenei to how Starfleet feels against the Borg during the First Contact movie, when Picard makes this speech;

"They invade our space and we fall back. They assimilate entire worlds and we fall back. Not again. ... This far, no further!"

The Draenei are in a good place now, they have a stable home and powerful friends. Now is the time they will dig in their heels (hooves?) and remain steadfast against the Legion, they will come to realise that now is the time to fight - if Azeroth falls and they once again retreat, their race will have no hope of rebuilding itself ever again.

This far, no further.
    Your persistence of vision does not come without great sacrifice. Let go of the tangible mass of your mind, it is only an illusion. There is no escape.. For the soul burns on everlasting encapsulated within infinite time. A thousand year journey at the blink of an eye... Humanity is dust..

The Draenei on Azeroth are the uncorrupted sons and daughters of Argus. Beleaguered and on the run from the Legion for thousands of years, they venerate the light and the Naaru, and abhor the Burning Legion as the greatest enemy of what remains of their race. They are the destitute, withered remnants of an advanced civilization that fled rather than be corrupted or destroyed by the Legion. To be a Draenei is to reject fel magic and all things demonic, and to hold the prophet Velen and the Naaru in the highest regard.

To be part of the group that left Argus with Velen, and donned the name Draenei meaning "Exiled One."

To be draenei means rejecting fel magic and the Burning Legion and be forced into exile. That's pretty much it. They still have their eredar characteristics like their use of arcane, some of their advanced technology, and their thirst for knowledge and understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakna View Post
    I like to compare the Draenei to how Starfleet feels against the Borg during the First Contact movie, when Picard makes this speech;

"They invade our space and we fall back. They assimilate entire worlds and we fall back. Not again. ... This far, no further!"

The Draenei are in a good place now, they have a stable home and powerful friends. Now is the time they will dig in their heels (hooves?) and remain steadfast against the Legion, they will come to realise that now is the time to fight - if Azeroth falls and they once again retreat, their race will have no hope of rebuilding itself ever again.

This far, no further.
    I think this nails it. I only started playing my Draenei again recently, but WoD has given plenty of opportunities for immersion, starting with the hype videos featuring Maraad convincing Varian to invade AU Draenor. When Varian asks him why, Maraad essentially says he wants a chance to go back and do things the way they wish they'd done them the first time. To not get caught off-guard, to fight and win this time.

Watching Velen sacrifice himself to redeem the Naaru K'ara, watching Maraad die in the battle of Shattrath... Why did Velen choose Yrel to succeed him? Clearly not for her ages of experience. Must be something he saw in a vision. That and she has demonstrated pluck and a will to fight. Even as a poorly armed student she was fighting back and had already killed one of our quest villains for us when we found her.

So I think it all points to this as our time to take a stand. This far, no further!

- - - Updated - - -

Btw - how many of you have checked out all the Draenei voice emotes? Especially /charge?

You too can shout epic battle cries!

"THE LEGION MUST FALL!"
    "FOR ARGUS!"

- - - Updated - - -

I found and watched these tonight. Nobbel does a pretty good job of bringing available lore together:

The Story of Velen:
    https://youtu.be/V5i_Q7qVBVo

Three things I got from watching this, some of which I vaguely remembered from when I created my character years ago:
    1) The Draenei came to Azeroth specifically looking for allies against the Legion.
    2) Velen has been following a path the Naaru assure him is the only way the Legion doesn't end up winning.
    3) Eventually Anduin is supposed to lead a combined Horde & Alliance (& Dragon & Naaru) army against the Legion.
    Last edited by Felfaadaern Darkterror; 2016-06-07 at 06:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Daralii View Post
    To be pavement.
    So the Sin'dorei were saved and the Sunwell restored... by pavement?
    And Prince Anduin is being trained to lead all of us - Alliance and Horde, Dragon and Naaru - in the final battle against the Legion... by pavement?

Quote Originally Posted by DarklingThrush View Post
    So the Sin'dorei were saved and the Sunwell restored... by pavement?
    And Prince Anduin is being trained to lead all of us - Alliance and Horde, Dragon and Naaru - in the final battle against the Legion... by pavement?
    He's referring to the Path of Glory lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Quote Originally Posted by Humbugged View Post
    "Be a part of soil !"

Quote Originally Posted by Humbugged View Post
    Ah ok lol. Completely went over my head. :P

10+ Year Old Account
    To be Draenei means to be the most versatile renewable resource ever. They are delicious, are a potent fuel source, make great road masonry, their tails are a potent necromantic ingredient when ground finely, and they can become immortal robot guardians. What can't they be used for?

Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    To be Draenei means to be the most versatile renewable resource ever. They are delicious, are a potent fuel source, make great road masonry, their tails are a potent necromantic ingredient when ground finely, and they can become immortal robot guardians. What can't they be used for?
    You forgot producing soldiers. At least Gul'dan didn't.