Page 1 of 2
LastLast

I know nothing about computers please help me.

So I'm retarded when it comes to PC gaming. My friend works for HP and gave me a factory fresh computer for free. These are the specs

intel core i7 4790 CPU @ 3.60 GHz (8cpus)

memory is 12 gigabits of ram

Direct x version 12

windows 10 64 bit

graphics card is nvidia GTX 745

So, I want to start PC gaming.

Do I only need to replace the graphics card to something good (Like a GTX 980 Ti, or the new 1k + ones) to be able to play any modern game on high settings? It is NOT a preset mother board - he said I can take out parts and replace as I wanted.

Or if I want to start PC gaming, do I need to start over from scratch, buy the parts separately, and build a new PC? I know people say you should build your own to save money, but I got this one for free, and would rather just replace certain parts so I don't have to spend another 1500+ to make one.

Money is no mitigation factor for me - just tell me what I need to get/replace.

We would need to know the power supply model to be able to suggest a GPU.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    We would need to know the power supply model to be able to suggest a GPU.
    It says 1200 watts EVGA on the sticker

Also, what kind of monitor do you have? I won't suggest a gtx 1080 if you game at 1080p 60Hz. If you do, the 1070 is probably overkill, but will last you a while!

New guild but kept same sig [cares- Kel'Thuzad]
    http://www.twitch.tv/undr_score

What would be a good monitor for a 980 Ti?

Quote Originally Posted by Detan View Post
    What would be a good monitor for a 980 Ti?
    If you're thinking about a 980 Ti, you're better off with a 1080 or even a 1070. But either a 1440p 144Hz or a 4K monitor. The 1440p if your into CS:GO and other FPS games.

Quote Originally Posted by Auress View Post
    If you're thinking about a 980 Ti, you're better off with a 1080 or even a 1070. But either a 1440p 144Hz or a 4K monitor.
    Ok, so 1080 or 1070, and purchase a 1440p 144HZ monitor (or 4k if I want to go big dick mode). Processor and RAM is fine though right? And the fact that its a pre build HP computer from a factory will have no bearing on performance, right?

So I'm retarded when it comes to PC gaming. My friend works for HP and gave me a factory fresh computer for free. These are the specs

intel core i7 4790 CPU @ 3.60 GHz (8cpus)

memory is 12 gigabits of ram

Direct x version 12

windows 10 64 bit

graphics card is nvidia GTX 745

So, I want to start PC gaming.

Do I only need to replace the graphics card to something good (Like a GTX 980 Ti, or the new 1k + ones) to be able to play any modern game on high settings? It is NOT a preset mother board - he said I can take out parts and replace as I wanted.

Or if I want to start PC gaming, do I need to start over from scratch, buy the parts separately, and build a new PC? I know people say you should build your own to save money, but I got this one for free, and would rather just replace certain parts so I don't have to spend another 1500+ to make one.

Money is no mitigation factor for me - just tell me what I need to get/replace.
    AMD are launching a $200 GPU called the RX 480 on June29th. It will play all current games at 1440P resolution at ultra settings.

Best to wait for that, rather than pay through the nose for NVIDIA crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Crushima View Post
    AMD are launching a $200 GPU called the RX 480 on June29th. It will play all current games at 1440P resolution at ultra settings.

I love you. You are elvis. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Crushima View Post

We have no benchmarks on the TX 480 yet. But if you want to go the more bang for the buck route, wait for AMD to release more cards. If you want the top of the line you should get Nvidia.

Quote Originally Posted by Auress View Post
    We have no benchmarks on the TX 480 yet. But if you want to go the more bang for the buck route, wait for AMD to release more cards. If you want the top of the line you should get Nvidia.
    I am far too intoxicated and dont know enough about computers to argue with either of you. I shall return to this thread in the morning. Im leaning towards doing what Auress says. I just want to play the witcher 3 on above 30 FPS on a PC, is that so much to ask??? FML.

Tell him it broke and need another. Which in case, send it to me

Quote Originally Posted by Alfakennyone View Post
    He is a marketing manager for york region in hte GTA in toronto. He only gets free PCS that are more than 12 months + old. Would you like one???

Quote Originally Posted by Alfakennyone View Post
    A 1070 will not run witcher 3 at ultra settings at 60 fps at 4k. A 1080 may. I was recently in a thread with a similar discussion and we determined that unless you have the budget for a 1080 and a decent 4k monitor it's a better idea to not go with 4k being that unless you're willing to pay out the ass for it you will not get a desirable gaming experience.

What games exactly are you looking to play?

Quote Originally Posted by Mythbredor View Post
    A 1070 will not run witcher 3 at ultra settings at 60 fps at 4k. A 1080 may. I was recently in a thread with a similar discussion and we determined that unless you have the budget for a 1080 and a decent 4k monitor it's a better idea to not go with 4k being that unless you're willing to pay out the ass for it you will not get a desirable gaming experience.

What games exactly are you looking to play?
    Doom 4 (2016), WoW (heroic/mythic rading 4 times a week at at least 30 fps), Fallout 4, Runescape, and Dark Souls 3 (I'm playing competitive PvP on PS4 ATM, but I can't stand the low FPS and load times)

- - - Updated - - -

I make (almost) a 6 figure salary, and I have no GF/family/other expenses - I don't give a FUCK just tell me what to buy.
    Last edited by Detan; 2016-06-07 at 05:35 AM.

Doom 4 (2016), WoW (heroic/mythic rading 4 times a week at at least 30 fps), Fallout 4, Runescape, and Dark Souls 3 (I'm playing competitive PvP on PS4 ATM, but I can't stand the low FPS and load times)

- - - Updated - - -

I make (almost) a 6 figure salary, and I have no GF/family/other expenses - I don't give a FUCK just tell me what to buy.
    Right, I'm going to sleep right now. I'll post again tomorrow. But I'd say buy a 1080 being that you have the budget. They aren't out yet they should release June 10th. If you're going to run 4K and again... assuming you have the money to spend. I'd run 2 1080s in SLI. With that you should pretty much be able to run any games in 4k at 60+ fps. Someone can finish my thought, and or provide more details. I'm not a monitor expert so I'll leave that to someone else.

But everything I just said is presuming you've got disposable income out the ass. 2 1080s alone will run you roughly 1200$. Then the monitor depends again i'm not an expert on them.

Anyway I'll do some reading and get back to you tomorrow.

That seems to be the issue with high end pre-builts. They have great processors, but then absolute dog shit graphic cards like the GTX 730-740. That's so dumb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahumut5
    I don't want to call Boubouille and wake her up for something like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythbredor View Post
    Right, I'm going to sleep right now. I'll post again tomorrow. But I'd say buy a 1080 being that you have the budget. They aren't out yet they should release June 10th. If you're going to run 4K and again... assuming you have the money to spend. I'd run 2 1080s in SLI. With that you should pretty much be able to run any games in 4k at 60+ fps. Someone can finish my thought, and or provide more details. I'm not a monitor expert so I'll leave that to someone else.

But everything I just said is presuming you've got disposable income out the ass. 2 1080s alone will run you roughly 1200$. Then the monitor depends again i'm not an expert on them.

Anyway I'll do some reading and get back to you tomorrow.
    YES thank you! Ok. Im going to go throw up and go to sleep now. Please respond in the morning. Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Chaoslux View Post
    That seems to be the issue with high end pre-builts. They have great processors, but then absolute dog shit graphic cards like the GTX 730-740. That's so dumb.
    Thats what my friend said! He said the ram and processor is amazing, but the GPU is shit because most people dont need good ones, and the applications they use only need ram and processor power. He also said something about anything above 8 gigs of ram being overkill but I think hes just a huge faggot. If hes not I'll apologize to him. Thanks.
    Last edited by Detan; 2016-06-07 at 05:56 AM.

Herald of the Titans OnlineSamantha's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaoslux View Post
    Eh, it depends where you buy them. I usually find that they have ok processers, good graphics cards and dogshit noname power supplies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trumpresident View Post
    My words exactly. Manufacturing in the US is considerably more expensive than elsewhere, and part of that are savage regulations such as environment protection or minimum wages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderaan View Post
    Saying that Wilson is a racist murderer is the same level of conspiracy as saying Sandy Hook didn't happen and the parents are in on it.
    I don't post that often, and when I do it's often in bursts. I always lurk though.

Quote Originally Posted by Vomlix View Post
    Eh, it depends where you buy them. I usually find that they have ok processers, good graphics cards and dogshit noname power supplies.
    Oh yeah, the ticking time bomb builds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahumut5
    I don't want to call Boubouille and wake her up for something like this.