Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Something wrong with potg

The potg has been really bad in almost every game I have been in since yesterday, more so than usual. I mean we all get that Torb of him laying belly up dead while his turret gets killed but this stuff is dumb like McCree goes for his ult but targets hide, he lets the timer run out and one person just happens to get hit peeking around corner, 1 person. Or a sniper that manages to get 2 kills but hits 1 in 3 shots. I got one for killing a healer and assisting on a tank kill, but I know there were ults going off that killed at least 3 people. I have seen way too many potg where someone manages to get 2 regular kills and it is potg.

There was an update yesterday, did blizzard screw up the potg calculator?

10+ Year Old Account
    There's a lot more than just damage/killing blows going into potg calculations. Stopping ults nets you a massive amount of "points" towards it. Not to mention that doing so later in the game, or on the objective is also worth more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ef1tKJaK-yU does a better job of explaining it than I did

I had to update the game a few times last night, but I haven't noticed any odd PotGs like yours, just a few lame 2 person quick kills since nothing else amazing happened in that game.
    "May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce"

"May the Goddess smile upon you."

"Hero", is what they've all been saying. This world, it isn't worth the saving."

got a few odd PotG's last night, where i only got one kill, or assisted in two.
    but usually because i was playing a lucio and blocked an enemy riptire/dragon with BROshield.
    i just think the game calculates ulti shutdowns / enviromental kills higher than normal multikills.
    I like my coffe like my mages.

I don't know if I'm ready to jump on a more deep breaths bandwagon yet, but I did see a PotG yesterday that was Lucio skating around in the cap point and assisting in a single kill, so there may be something to it. However, as bad as that PotG was, all of the others I saw yesterday were pretty typical.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoover Hog View Post
    I don't know if I'm ready to jump on a more deep breaths bandwagon yet, but I did see a PotG yesterday that was Lucio skating around in the cap point and assisting in a single kill, so there may be something to it. However, as bad as that PotG was, all of the others I saw yesterday were pretty typical.
    I've had a few of those when I play Lucio. It's either a killing blow or multiple assists while I'm using his E ability.
    "May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce"

"May the Goddess smile upon you."

"Hero", is what they've all been saying. This world, it isn't worth the saving."

I'm not saying the potg is unfair, I have gotten a few now that I tell my team that it was a stupid potg, and that was -my- potg.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabled View Post
    I've had a few of those when I play Lucio. It's either a killing blow or multiple assists while I'm using his E ability.
    My favourite potg as Lucio was running back, getting killing blow on 1 guy, then dying. No E, barely any healing (Think I was using speed boost at the time), just.. 1 hit one 1 guy, and that was potg.

On a overwatch WTF moments video there was a Torbjorn POTG where he pressed the ultimate, then proceeded to go hammer the enemy turret instead of his own and then since he was at it, he goes hammer other 3 people.

I mean, LOL. Potg doesn't count literally anything and i just looks at it laughing.

Funniest ones imho are the ones where Junkrat makes his Ulti come from "impossible" places.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Had one with Junkrat. We are close to win on Hanamura A, but there is this pesky monkey jumping around raging.
    To get him down to earth more quickly i start my tire, knowing i might die in process (being in plain view and such).
    Tire explodes, Junkrats body take lift off to visit another continent. It was hillarious, everyone typed lol or something. XD

PS:
    Yes it was worth it, we won.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    On a overwatch WTF moments video there was a Torbjorn POTG where he pressed the ultimate, then proceeded to go hammer the enemy turret instead of his own and then since he was at it, he goes hammer other 3 people.

I mean, LOL. Potg doesn't count literally anything and i just looks at it laughing.

Funniest ones imho are the ones where Junkrat makes his Ulti come from "impossible" places.
    We are not talking about it 'meaning anything', we are talking about if the last patch changed the calculus to show 'lesser acts' more often.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    We are not talking about it 'meaning anything', we are talking about if the last patch changed the calculus to show 'lesser acts' more often.
    Ok. Then i think a lot also has to do with people simply getting more aware of things like ultimates and getting to play with people more on your level.
    First days of release i have been able to score really good streaks with S76 ulti for example, now people as soon they hear the audio look for cover or focus/snipe you, making good streaks more difficult to obtain.

At least it's how i see it.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    With Lucio in 5 seconds I knockback 2 people in the void with 1 sound wave and prevent Zarya+Phara Qs to kill 5 people in contested zone with my Ulti. PotG goes to Phara killing 2 people with her Q completely out of contested zone, and one person was already almost dead.

Yeah, PotG algorithm is definitely broken but I'd fix the MM system before any of these trivial things

Had a really odd POTG today. A lifesaver POTG for a Mercy standing still healing an AFK Rein taking fire from a Tracer. Didn't even move the camera, just stood completely still with the heal beam on for the whole duration.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah. I saw a mercy get a potg for killing reaper just as he ult'd. We were all low health so essentially that person saved a full team kill. Everyone was like wtf, a single kill potg until someone pointed out what happened.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Essentia@Cho'gall of Inebriated Raiding.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ssentia/simple
    http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Tharkkun-1222

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tharkkun View Post
    Yeah. I saw a mercy get a potg for killing reaper just as he ult'd. We were all low health so essentially that person saved a full team kill. Everyone was like wtf, a single kill potg until someone pointed out what happened.
    Managed something similar, except I'd just done a double Resurrect right before :3
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    And gets 3 kills because he killed the enemy Bastion (the "turret"), McCree, and Reinhardt, because his hammer does damage to enemies
    Just preface all my posts with "Well, I didn't read the thread, but..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Kenobi
    You don't need to see any identification.
    This isn't the user you're looking for.
    Move along.
    Fixed a bug allowing Reaper to Shadow Step to unintended locations
    Minor text fixes

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tharkkun View Post
    Most people fail to see the descriptive text on potg like these. It was probably labeled as a shutdown on the intro screen.

Before I read this thread I thought play of the game only showed YOUR personal play of the game I guess I've just gotten every single play of the game since launch?

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think it's broken. Stupid PotG tend to happen in games where nothing interesting occurs, which you do see occasionally.

Lately all my PotG except one have been really dumb shit. Like, dumb enough that I appologise to everyone when it plays.

I got one two days ago for just randomly spraying bullets as Bastion

(me)

I killed two people in the play, although I think one was McCree doing his ult. I also hit some buildings, [reload] the post in front of me, tickled another player [reload], the waiting payload, and probably my own teammates [reload] if there was friendly fire. I'm not sure if the other team thought I was just terrible and blind, or some kind of supervillian just cackling maniacally while I rained bullets in all directions, but it definitely was an embarrassing thing to get caught on PotG.

We absolutely stomped them, though,and it was a short match with no team kills because they were just running into us to die one by one over and over again. So, I guess my two kills in a row was the most exciting thing that happened that game.

And yeah, as other people said, if you interrupt ults or do some kind of environmental damage (knocking people off world, etc), the game values it higher for PotG.
    Last edited by Tziva; 2016-06-08 at 04:51 PM.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |