Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    Deleted

For the first time, more than 4 in 10 US women are obese.

NEW YORK — The nation’s obesity epidemic continues to grow, led by an alarming increase among women. For the first time, more than 4 in 10 U.S. women are obese, according to new government health statistics.

Obesity rates for men and women in the U.S. had been roughly the same for about a decade. But in recent years, women have surged ahead and now just over 40 percent of women are obese, compared to 35 percent of men.

The researchers also found:
    —About 38 percent of all adults are obese.
    —About 17 percent of children are obese, which is the same as earlier reports.

Source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...32c_story.html

That's pretty alarming, isnt it?

Thought Tennisball was unbanned when I saw this thread - now THAT would be pretty alarming.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    NEW YORK — The nation’s obesity epidemic continues to grow, led by an alarming increase among women. For the first time, more than 4 in 10 U.S. women are obese, according to new government health statistics.

Obesity rates for men and women in the U.S. had been roughly the same for about a decade. But in recent years, women have surged ahead and now just over 40 percent of women are obese, compared to 35 percent of men.

The researchers also found:
    —About 38 percent of all adults are obese.
    —About 17 percent of children are obese, which is the same as earlier reports.

Source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...32c_story.html

That's pretty alarming, isnt it?
    Interesting. I'm glad I am not obese. I am very conscious about it and make sure I sustain a appropriate weight.

I wonder if body acceptance has anything to do with it. Perhaps women are more comfortable being a bit heavier now a days. Not sure.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

tennisace you've changed your name and avatar.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    Interesting. I'm glad I am not obese. I am very conscious about it and make sure I sustain a appropriate weight.

I wonder if body acceptance has anything to do with it. Perhaps women are more comfortable being a bit heavier now a days. Not sure.
    I highly doubt they are to be honest but people in general just seem less inclined to care about their bodies health in general these days.

Any report that uses a "small survey" and BMI is just bullshit. People know that BMI doesn't mean a damn thing. This is ridiculous.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Fable View Post
    I highly doubt they are to be honest but people in general just seem less inclined to care about their bodies health in general these days.
    I thought there was actually a fit body hype right now, especially amongst women?
    Instagram is basically 90% women that show their body these days.

I find it mostly alarming that 17% of children are reported obese. It's one thing to destroy yourself, but your children?

I thought there was actually a fit body hype right now, especially amongst women?

I find it mostly alarming that 17% of children are reported obese. It's one thing to destroy yourself, but your children?
    O woman covet and praise a healthy body like no other. It is just the general way things seem to be going. Fat acceptance is honestly a horrible thing to support these people are killing themselves...

As for children... well shitty parents are not anything new and feeding your kid sugary garbage and letting them sit on their ass all day is easier then being a involved parent.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalium View Post
    Any report that uses a "small survey" and BMI is just bullshit. People know that BMI doesn't mean a damn thing. This is ridiculous.
    Pretty fit guy at a BMI of 25, so there I agree with you. Athletes can have a BMI of 30 (weightlifters etc), but for the general public? That's just a lot of fat.
    You can still be skinnyfat with a "perfect" BMI, but in cases like this is should be acceptable to use it.

On topic: Not caring about your own health looks to be the thing right now.
    Last edited by mmoc261824d975; 2016-06-08 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Better phrasing, I hope.

Fat logician here! If you are ripped enough that BMI starts to not work on your body type, this does not concern you. For 99% of american ( most western countries to be honest) fatties BMI is good enough.

Get on that threadmill instead of complaining that BMI is useless.

10+ Year Old Account
    It means more for women who are less likely to make up all that mass with muscle.

10+ Year Old Account

I look at it like I do tech support, but the opposite. In tech support, you only hear from people who are unhappy. You don't hear from people who just want to call in and say how much they like you.

Those fit women on Instagram are happy, and want to show it to the world. They work hard to look the way they do, and they want to flaunt it. While those who are unhappy with the way the look, will only have head shots, or head + cleavage. These types of people will only show you what they think looks good, and hide the parts they are ashamed of.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

This is the real travesty. As an adult if you chose to stuff your fat face and not work out, you have my blessing, do whatever the fuck you want to yourself. Children however is an other thing completely, if your kid is fat, you have failed HARD as a parent and I would consider this child abuse.

Unfortunately, it is about education, most people don't understand how their bodies work and they blame external factors for their shitty behaviours. They then push down this culture onto their children and you get fat children.

Brewmaster
    7+ Year Old Account
    Seems like 8 in 10 in Alabama. Haha I kid I see nothing but beautiful fit women on the UAB campus whenever I visit.

10+ Year Old Account
    "BMI-obese" =/= obese.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

That seems really high. Like, really high. I don't think from all the people I see throughout a day that's the case.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not sure I agree with the that. They survey 5,000 Americans. As long as its stratified, which I'm sure it is, that's a fairly large sample size.

And while BMI isn't perfect, I think it's OK as a general measurement. People with a BMI over 30 that are bodybuilders or such is the exception.
    Eat yo vegetables

Quote Originally Posted by PRE 9-11 View Post
    Not sure I agree with the that. They survey 5,000 Americans. As long as its stratified, which I'm sure it is, that's a fairly large sample size.

And while BMI isn't perfect, I think it's OK as a general measurement. People with a BMI over 30 that are bodybuilders or such is the exception.
    Bodybuilders arent healthy. But there have been NBA players that have been considered obese by BMI standards, thats a bit ridiculous. BMI is pretty much the only marker now a days, so until something better comes out, its the tool we have to use.

If you want to see if youre healthy or not, have a blood test done.

But...they're CURVY! Why are you hating on curves??

/s

I find it incredibly alarming that so many children are obese. Adults choose for themselves, but what gives them the right to condemn their children to that shit? I saw this documentary where a boy was trying to lose weight, and his mom "couldn't understand why he just gained weight"...meanwhile, she filled the shopping cart with cookies, sugary cereal (basically candy), soda, low-fat processed foods (tons of sugar), crisps, chocolate bars...her other kids were "normal" on the outside, but SO unhealthy on the inside...
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2016-06-08 at 01:48 PM.

I normally just lurk around here and never post but I want to chime in. I know this might trigger some people but...

I am a 27 year old man.When I was in 8th grade, 12 years old maybe? I weighed 220 lbs at maybe 5'9 at the time. I was taking candy bars to the head, and drank no less than 6 cans of pop a day. My mom was obese, her brothers, basically their whole side of the family was large, my dads side also has really obese people. Naturally I thought being this heavy was ok. One day in school my pants ripped because of how tight they were and how fat I was. It was the most embarrassing thing in my life. From that point on I decided to get healthy.

Currently I am 6' and 165 lbs. I have maybe drank 10 regular pops (full calories) since I ripped me pants (around 13 years ago). I run 4-6 miles every other day. One of my greatest fears is that I will end up like my moms side of the family so that is my motivation. Plus I like being in shape.

Any time I hear person say "its in my genes" I cringe. Both my parents and their families are obese, therefore I should be also. I would be obese if I continued to smash candy bars and drink a shit ton of pop a day. Maybe your genes can make your body have a lower metabolism (catabolism), its your job to realize that your body doesn't need the 5,000 calories a day your stuffing your face with, maybe because of your genes you only need 1,750. Anything over that is going to get stored in your body as fat.

I think its weird the way our culture has evolved. People are so against tobacco use, and heavy drinking. I wonder how many times they have heard " you shouldn't be smoking" or "drinking that much is not healthy". However, people being obese (especially a women) is considered "empowering" Such as larger women modeling. The point is that we keep telling people that its ok to be obese, when its not. This trend is only going to continue. Not just for women but men also.