Red face In need of help making a solid new build.

Alright, so I'm in the market to build a whole new computer. My current one is about 4 years old and a buddy of mine who's primarily a console gamer is looking to dip a toe into the PC gaming side of things. Just gonna give him this current one I'm using so he can see how he likes it. Also, with the release of the new Nvidia cards I figure now is the perfect time to jump in. I've made a build on part picker that seems fine. However, since I haven't really kept up on much going on in the PC world I wanted to get a second opinion to see if there were better options within the same price range that I should be looking at instead.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($338.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.89 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($137.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($59.88 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($87.69 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($85.50 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 980 4GB Video Card ($374.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: NZXT Source 530 ATX Full Tower Case ($82.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($74.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.88 @ OutletPC)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($83.89 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $1368.67
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-08 18:51 EDT-0400

The 980 is a place holder BTW. Looking to grab a 1070 card there.
    Anyways, thank for your help. It is much appreciated.

If you are not doing anything besides gaming, no need for the i7, an i5 will perform exactly the same as games don't make use of the Hyperthreading and larger cache offered by the i7. Outside of that, the 2 are the same thing.

For the CPU cooler, not that the 212 is bad, it's just getting dated and there are better choices. Cryorig and be quiet! have some great stuff.

Might want to look at kinguin for the OS, can save quite a bit there.

Quote Originally Posted by Zalkiden View Post
    Alright, so I'm in the market to build a whole new computer. My current one is about 4 years old and a buddy of mine who's primarily a console gamer is looking to dip a toe into the PC gaming side of things. Just gonna give him this current one I'm using so he can see how he likes it. Also, with the release of the new Nvidia cards I figure now is the perfect time to jump in. I've made a build on part picker that seems fine. However, since I haven't really kept up on much going on in the PC world I wanted to get a second opinion to see if there were better options within the same price range that I should be looking at instead.

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($338.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.89 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($137.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($59.88 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($85.50 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 980 4GB Video Card ($374.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: NZXT Source 530 ATX Full Tower Case ($82.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($74.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.88 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $1368.67
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-08 18:51 EDT-0400

The 980 is a place holder BTW. Looking to grab a 1070 card there.
    Anyways, thank for your help. It is much appreciated.
    Everything looks great. hyper 212 evo is fine imo i have one sitting on my shelf
    Last edited by Mythbredor; 2016-06-09 at 12:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythbredor View Post
    Instead of getting a 980 I suggest looking at a 1070 or a 1080.

I suggest reading the second to last line in the very post you quoted. He clearly said the 980 is a placeholder for the 1070.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    If you are not doing anything besides gaming, no need for the i7, an i5 will perform exactly the same as games don't make use of the Hyperthreading and larger cache offered by the i7. Outside of that, the 2 are the same thing.

For the CPU cooler, not that the 212 is bad, it's just getting dated and there are better choices. Cryorig and be quiet! have some great stuff.

Might want to look at kinguin for the OS, can save quite a bit there.
    Only reason I was thinking of grabbing the i7 was for streaming purposes. I stream every now and then and the i7 could help alot there, no? I hear ya tho, saving a 100 bucks on the CPU alone is pretty awesome. I'll have to mull it over.

I was on the fence between the 212 and http://www.amazon.com/CRYORIG-H7-Tow...d99dd9818444a7

Slapped the 212 on there because of the popularity it seems to have.

Also, how does Kinguin work for getting a OS? I would need the disc when booting the computer for the first time right?

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    I suggest reading the second to last line in the very post you quoted. He clearly said the 980 is a placeholder for the 1070.
    Ah didn't see that under the pc part picker, figured it was the dating time so I scrolled by it. My bad.

If you plan to stream alot I7 is maybe worth it. For video editing def worth it. Hyper 212 evo is perfectly fine personally I use a H100I but as I stated above I have a hyper 212 evo sitting on my shelf.

Only reason I was thinking of grabbing the i7 was for streaming purposes. I stream every now and then and the i7 could help alot there, no? I hear ya tho, saving a 100 bucks on the CPU alone is pretty awesome. I'll have to mull it over.

I was on the fence between the 212 and http://www.amazon.com/CRYORIG-H7-Tow...d99dd9818444a7

Slapped the 212 on there because of the popularity it seems to have.

Also, how does Kinguin work for getting a OS? I would need the disc when booting the computer for the first time right?
    The i7 may help some with streaming, if you use the CPU for encoding and not your GPU/iGPU. If you use intel QuickSync it uses the CPUs internal GPU and therefore no need for the i7. If you use NVENC it is using parts of your GPU that are not being used for anything else anyway and not the CPU. It's really up to you though.

Yeah, the 212 was really really popular for a long time, and again, there is nothing really wrong with it. The Cryorig is newer though and performs around the same but is a bit quieter. The main reason for the 212's popularity was price, it's also fairly noisy compared to other options though. However, it got popular and just stayed popular, mainly due to price. There are other better options in the same price range now though. I would go with the Cryorig myself.

No, no disc needed, just go here and download it from Microsoft and put it on a USB stick or burn it to a disc and boot from it:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...oad/windows10/

Deleted
    Here's another option:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($233.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H5 Ultimate 76.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($56.60 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-GAMING 6 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($154.99 @ Micro Center)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($58.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($47.49 @ OutletPC)
    Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Acrylic ATX Mid Tower Case ($94.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Other: gtx 1070 ($400.00)
    Total: $1288.62
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-09 03:07 EDT-0400

i've been casually streaming stuff for the last two years-ish on an i5 just fine. i7s usefulness is often greatly exaggerated, tis situational though. in this situation, i'd prob stick with the i5, but up to you

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Helping narrow my build down. I do have one final question that will pretty much solidify the build tho.

I do plan on eventually grabbing a 2nd 1070 to SLI with. Would a i7 be better to shoot for in that case? Or should the i5 still do the trick?

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Helping narrow my build down. I do have one final question that will pretty much solidify the build tho.

I do plan on eventually grabbing a 2nd 1070 to SLI with. Would a i7 be better to shoot for in that case? Or should the i5 still do the trick?
    Stick with the I5 unless you are doing any heavy video editing.