10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tornwar View Post
    Guys guys! Its looking up! At least we are getting some greens :3

My advice to you is to stop visiting Metacritic. The score is meaningless and it is fairly obvious at this point that the US/UK critics have no love for this film. Just relax and enjoy life a bit. =P

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Death Knight View Post
    Because you have not. Period.
    Okay. What is the threshold one needs to reach then?

I summarized the stuff you had missed in my original reply in a very short manner in regards to the international side as well as the US.
    The international box office is not that impressive overall. It's paltry compared to domestic BO. None of the trades are flipping out of over it- less than 300 screens in China for example.

I never said that you have to read every review imaginable. However, since you clearly focus on the stuff from the US then you have obviously not paid attention to everything. Your argument is absurd when this thread is not about the US critical reception, it is about the movie as a whole. There is another thread dedicated to that discussion in fact right here on this site.
    Yea, but I was commenting on this film's professional reception within the film industry. That means the US- majorly and by default.

I am from the US. I am not reading reviews from China or Norway. Come now. All my commentary is from the point of view of a US based person- as is almost all commentary by US persons on this film. There is no US review that is saying the movie stinks, but did great in China so "cool bananas".

If that sits unwell with you- oh well. All my post will forever be from an American point of view.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2016-06-10 at 01:36 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Okay. What is the threshold one needs to reach then?

The international box office is not that impressive overall. It's paltry compared to domestic BO. None of the trades are flipping out of over it- less than 300 screens in China for example.

Yea, but I was commenting on this film's professional reception within the film industry. That means the US- majorly and by default.
    There is no threshold. Knowledge is ever growing and you adjust with the new information coming out. The point is that you still did not know things and I pointed them out for you. You are just defending your own ignorance at this point.

Are you joking? WarCraft just broke box office records in China on its opening day and made 90-100 million in two days and it is looking like the movie will be going strong there for a while. You tell me that you know so much, yet you do not even know this.
    Last edited by Frozen Death Knight; 2016-06-10 at 01:47 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post

Oh no, less than 300 screens in China where there are 307 IMAX screens as of last year. Poor performance indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by daywalker02 View Post
    Really, quras? Most folks will just watch the movie regardless how bad that review is.

It could be literally minus 60% and I am going to watch it and would be more curious why they would review that bad.
    Maybe in some countries you are right. Maybe some individuals will take that stance and see it no matter what. However, there is a rather large audience that will look at reviews, especially in the U.S. And make a decision to go, not go or see something else.

Some groups are not as fanatical. Some groups didn't get the marketing others did to sway them and will rely on reviews. So while you might throw your cash at it. Plenty of others will not.

Just literally got back from seeing it, it is a bit disjointed and there is absolutely ZERO character development but I enjoyed the movie, I want in thinking I was going to be extremely disappointed, I will say that it wasn't cheesy and that CGI is much better that how it looks on TV (maybe imax 3d had something to do with it)
    One complaint is that lack of choreography for some of the fights, it looks like people just standing around swinging stuff aimlessly and some other times it looks like they where just trying to fill screen time, other than those few gripes, I enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Death Knight View Post
    There is no threshold.
    There is no threshold that will satisfy, you. If I read read 60 reviews and watched 90 videos on the film- I would likely fall short of your personal criteria I suspect.

The point is that you still did not know things and I pointed them out for you. You are just defending your own ignorance at this point.
    Such as? What did you point out I was unaware of?

What is even your point here in reply to me originally?

I posted my thoughts based on reviews and industry news on the film. You reply that I have not read enough reviews, audiences like the film and "well see about US BO".

If I haven't read enough reviews of the type you believe necessary, am speaking on professional reception of the film and you seem to agree "we'll see how US BO does"- what is your goal exactly other than to thinly communicate you may be a fan of this film &/or property? Which would be of no importance whatsoever, in any regard to my comments here.

Are you joking?
    No. The BO projections are low overall. Some citing that the overseas BO will not be enough to carry the film to success. Most are predicating the Conjuring 2 to win the box office this weekend.

You tell me that you know so much, yet you do not even know this.
    I am aware of it's success in China, I do not think it is significant compared to US release. I am expressly saying the film's overseas success is marginal relative to US BO or screens- projections agree with me on this as well as the film industry.

It's funny watching people bend over backwards to hate this movie claiming it's real bad but the people praising it are not going overboard. Nobody is claiming it's the best movie ever. Instead there saying it was enjoyable and fun which is how I found it.

The movie is most definitely not great but it is not bad and well worth seeing. it can stand alone for non Warcraft fans

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Just saw it, let's cut through the bullcrap.

Audio/Visual: 9/10. May as well be 10/10. The movie looks fantastic. The biggest thing everyone thought would suck is the highlight of the movie.
    Acting: 6/10. Most people are decent, some people stick out as really bad...but I think it's mostly because of the next point.
    Script: 1/10. Filled with cliche, missing lots of dialogue to make things matter more. Lots of dialogue has no impact and probably because of...
    Editing: -10/10. Cut too heavy, cuts too fast, all around it seems like a hatchet job.

I feel there is an 8/10 movie on the cutting room floor, but that's not what we got in the theaters. As harsh as this sounds, the movie was fun and I enjoyed it. I just left the theater feeling slightly underwhelmed, but mostly just whelmed. I would not buy another ticket, but will buy the extended blu ray. I would also go see another film to continue the story. I think the general room, which seemed 50/50 on players and randos enjoyed the film. However, the theater was halfway empty on early release night. So...eh. We'll see how it pans out.
    BAD WOLF

So which movie was hacked up in editing worse. Batman vs superman or Warcraft ?

I just got back from seeing Warcraft. Overall, I'd say the movie was decent. Now, I'm a big lore buff and have been playing since BC. Anyone who isn't familiar with Warcraft/WoW might have a hard time appreciating it, but I still don't think it will follow in the footsteps of the previous video game movies.

What I didn't like about it:

The first 20 minutes or so were pretty awkward. I think it's because they were trying to fit so much history into a short window. The scenes were jumpy and didn't feel complete.

Changes in lore. I won't spoil anything, but there are some things that stuck out like a sore thumb.

Relationships between many characters were dull. I'd also blame this on the short time frame.

What I did like:

The world was without a doubt Azeroth. There were many iconic places present and you really felt like you were in a fantasy world.

Lore changes. I know I just said I didn't like them, but the changes that were made somehow managed to tie things together. (I know it's vague, but I'm not going to spoil anything.) I think the changes were made for the success of future Warcraft films. All I will say is that audiences won't forever think of Warcraft just as Humans vs. Orcs.

Human and orc values were made clear. I'd argue the orcs got a slight advantage on this one.

A few other things:

The acting was not as bad as some reviews made it out to be. There were some corny/cheesy parts, but everyone did a fair job.
    I was very happy with the graphics. They take some getting used to and I don't mean that in a bad way. It's hard to appreciate this style of cinema after being exposed to Blizzard's glorious trailers and being accostomed to WoW's art style for so long.

I'm excited for the second one to come out!

Quote Originally Posted by minkage View Post
    Probably BvS. They tried to fix and adjust a movie from an established franchise and killed it. Warcraft is just setting something up and was just cut short and not filled with unnecessary stuff.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by minkage View Post
    Still think BvS was worse given the tone of the movie and the need to establish a lot of narrative threads. Kinda astounding to take two well known characters and make the plot so muddy. With being less known, Warcraft is still sensible, but moves blisteringly fast. The transitions in Warcraft make sense, but they just go too fast. BvS has lots of nonsensical transitions.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    Still think BvS was worse given the tone of the movie and the need to establish a lot of narrative threads. Kinda astounding to take two well known characters and make the plot so muddy. With being less known, Warcraft is still sensible, but moves blisteringly fast. The transitions in Warcraft make sense, but they just go too fast. BvS has lots of nonsensical transitions.
    Where Warcraft needs some 30-60 min to work properly, BvS needs less of itself.

I just seen it, was pretty good movie, much better than I had thought going in.

i really really really liked this movie.

more than force awakens.
    No sense crying over spilt beer, unless you're drunk...

Quote Originally Posted by quras View Post
    Maybe in some countries you are right. Maybe some individuals will take that stance and see it no matter what. However, there is a rather large audience that will look at reviews, especially in the U.S. And make a decision to go, not go or see something else.

Some groups are not as fanatical. Some groups didn't get the marketing others did to sway them and will rely on reviews. So while you might throw your cash at it. Plenty of others will not.
    I give you couple of reasons why people might see it

You have made your mind up probably long ago, before the screening so I point out for the other posters

- While I agree, reviews are important, reviews considering fantasy films won't matter that much because there is literally no other fantasy film on the markt

Maybe that Harry Potter spin off but that is about it, All summer almost no other fantasy film

- So fantasy genre fans are going to watch it, very likely

- Other Gamers will watch it

- Tech savvy audience willl see it - those that likes movies, animations such as Rise of Planet of the Apes, Tintin, Hobbit, Avatar .......

- Blizzard and WOW fanboys are going to watch it - Huge fanbase

- General audience and older people, women

Latter is the group questionable, Gamers will bring their family, their spouse, their kids

It had the potential to go over 1.2 billion but with the reviews it will probably settle around 500 -700 million if nothing else happens or more

It is going to do well - better than I thought - it is going to do 150-220 million in parts other than China and North America, mostly Asian, European and South American, Latin American fans

Reviews are more important for festival circuits, for Award honors - not going to get any awards other than for sound, FX

Come on, we can talk all day here.

Let us just wait till the domestic numbers come in, ok?
    Last edited by daywalker02; 2016-06-10 at 02:49 AM.

I thought it was great, I'm ok with what lore changes there are, some I like better others eh, but nothing that really irked me. Acting was fine for the most part, CGI was great. Hope they can at least get the RTS storyline to the big screen down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightstalker View Post
    Where Warcraft needs some 30-60 min to work properly, BvS needs less of itself.
    It needed to be split into 2 movies.