Page 94 of 128 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by portillos View Post
    Visually it was great. The best part of the film were all the scenic shots. It was great to see all those areas that we see in the game come to life.

However the writing, acting, storytelling and pace were awful to say the least, specifically for the humans. Lothar had 0 emotion. Just look at the scene where his son dies.

They guy who plays Lane looks more like the Burger King of the Whoppers then a real King. It was like a B-rated actors placed inside a film with stunning visual effects.
    I feel like we didn't even watch the same movie. I'm not saying you're wrong to have your opinion. It's just that mine is completely opposite so it feels so foreign to me.

You're right, to each their own. In the end I think it was very disappointing, it could have been done a lot better.

If my 64 year old Grandmother can understand it who is oblivious 90% of the time then anyone should be able too.

She usually chats me up with a million questions. The only question she asked the entire movie was "Is that Medivh guy bad now".

I think people are blowing the "Non-WoW fans won't understand it" statement because it's simply not true.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lazzy View Post
    If my 64 year old Grandmother can understand it who is oblivious 90% of the time then anyone should be able too.

She usually chats me up with a million questions. The only question she asked the entire movie was "Is that Medivh guy bad now".

I think people are blowing the "Non-WoW fans won't understand it" statement because it's simply not true.
    You're definitely right about that. Two of my non-WoW playing friends have seen it already and, after asking them several questions about the movie, they very clearly were able to follow it with no issues. They both really enjoyed it too, by the way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lazzy View Post
    The Movie was Great. Don't take advice from all the naysayers and go see it for yourself.

Anyone who says it was "terrible" is seriously just looking for something to bitch about.
    The WoW community trying to find something to bitch about? Never!
    Hey

Quote Originally Posted by portillos View Post
    However the writing, acting, storytelling and pace were awful to say the least, specifically for the humans. Lothar had 0 emotion. Just look at the scene where his son dies.
    Well generally in reality, when someone's loved one gets butchered in front of them, their reaction tends to be numb disbelief rather than melodramatic "cry-a-river".

That happens after they can accept the death of their loved one being reality.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

Quote Originally Posted by Lastlivingsoul View Post
    This video pretty much sums up the movie.

That said I stated before my friend said she liked the movie but there were some cringe worthy scenes mostly due to bad green screen and abuse of special effects with no subtlety . It just needed ... Less Zazz more character development.
    definitely the CGI was impressive in parts and horrible in parts but overall im definitely buying that on DVD since i will probably watch it a bunch of times. As somebody that has been playing the game for over a decade and really doesnt pay much attention to lore i loved seeing so many big WoW names doing epic things. Was it unintentionally bad in parts? yes. the Orcs were like a 12 year old incredible hulk fan designed them, the king was a bit wooden and the saying "For Azeroth" is uninspiring to say the least. Still that was a fun movie with a lot of flaws but since the game has almost no fun left in it, it was nice to see that Blizzard is still capable of creating a good time.

10+ Year Old Account
    The one glaring part where the CGI kind of looks fake is the scene when Lothar and his sister are standing in front of the Cathedral, I think? It's the one on the trailer where Lothar holds his sword up. That scene...ugh. Also the High Elves looked really...odd to me. I don't know.

I'd give the movie a 7/10 (That's being as objective as a I can). It's no masterpiece but it's not unwatchable either. My non-Warcraft fan friends enjoyed the movie. We do agree that the pacing is a bit off and it feels too crammed at times but overall it's worth the watch. I'd watch it again though. There are some great scenes in the film. The dialogue could do better but I love the interaction between Lothar and Khadgar.

I went to go see it purely out of a sense of guilt, this shit game that for better or worse has given me something to do for the past 10 years.. feel least I could do was support there shitty film... I honestly was thinking in my head the apology I was going to have to give my wife afterwards for putting her through such a shit movie, boy was I wrong.

If you put aside your knowledge of the lore and dismiss the occasional bad cgi.. the movie was Excellent. My wife who hates world of warcraft to no end, enjoyed the movie. It had good emotion, humor and decent battle scenes. The only part I can understand having a gripe over was the emotion Lothar did not show when his son got killed and well King Llane's casting was very poor (i think Luke Evans would of made a better choice).

TLDR: Go see the movie, its worth the money. This is no Gods of Egypt or Adam Sandler movie. (and i paid 50 bucks for imax 3d + popcorn)

Hell of a movie, a couple weird parts like the romance seen right after the death. Would have pick a totally different actor for the son of Lothar. Wish they would have put out that Garona was a human way more clearly and way earlier but I get it. But Star Wars wasn't perfect and no movie is, this movie had the hurdle of trying to stay TRUE to the game and fans, but also something understandable to regular people and I get it.

Ultimately overall it stayed WAY true to the fans, the name drops, and how they presented things like "the fel" like they should mean something to you, well they mean something to us and for that reason I LOVE IT, but then you have the critics that don't understand it and question things like why when King Llane was riding off only talked to his son and not his daughter. We get it, it was a little easter egg, but they won't get the point.

So it REALLY is a movie that in an almost in your face way is TOTALLY made for the fans of Warcraft as the main priority and for that this movie IS AWESOME, there was not a whole lot of selling out in this one.

That said this movie WILL NOT critique well for those reasons, a movie critic going in will tear this movie apart, but a regular person just trying to be wowed, or more specifically a fan (and their are a lot of us, no matter how into WoW you are or were) a fan is going to LOVE this movie.

It's tough to take on the scale in that amount of time, and flesh it all out perfectly, but they came damn close, and it's a good set up I feel like future movies are going to be able to be a bit more straight forward now that we know the humans and the orcs and the general story. They were trying to set up a general story, and I truely hope we can get through to see other races, and more importantly THE ARTHAS STORY.

If they would have started at the Arthas story - we'd have a movie critics could understand.

- - - Updated - - -

A fun note - the entire theater stayed until the entire credit screen ended - their was a credit to the players, that was pretty cool.
    RRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEEEE

Saw it today, -2/10. It's like lore shat the bed the movie. I could seriously name 100 things that were changed just for that movie.

Quote Originally Posted by khazmodan View Post
    definitely the CGI was impressive in parts and horrible in parts but overall im definitely buying that on DVD since i will probably watch it a bunch of times. As somebody that has been playing the game for over a decade and really doesnt pay much attention to lore i loved seeing so many big WoW names doing epic things. Was it unintentionally bad in parts? yes. the Orcs were like a 12 year old incredible hulk fan designed them, the king was a bit wooden and the saying "For Azeroth" is uninspiring to say the least. Still that was a fun movie with a lot of flaws but since the game has almost no fun left in it, it was nice to see that Blizzard is still capable of creating a good time.
    Well hopefully, and I actually do hold out hope, DVD sales and an impossible surge of subscribers would warrant another sequel. To be honest though a Diablo movie might give people more time to forget about the worst parts of this movie and allow a proper Warcraft sequel. After all Even Marvel had a few thankfully forgotten first films before they got their stride with X Men and Iron Man. It can happen they just need learn from their mistakes instead of dwelling on them. Marvel went from 1990's Captain America to 2014 Captain America: Winter Solider and all it took was 24 years. I think Blizzard and Duncan Jones can do just as good in the future.

Guillermo Del Toro's Diablo. I would buy that DVD Blue-Ray and burn it into my retinas.
    Last edited by Lastlivingsoul; 2016-06-11 at 06:10 AM.

It was much, much better than I was prepared for it to be. I don't care about lore variations from the RTS and "MU" wow lore, you gotta think of a movie adaptation as its own alternate universe. I think that this was a nice introduction to Azeroth and the Warcraft setting for the uninitiated but mostly was marketed at the people who've played WoW and the Warcraft RTS games. It's little things -- like a Murloc murggling, or the gryphon landing in SW at the actual SW flight point. Those made me love it. I also REALLY enjoyed seeing Azeroth with a sense of real scale and distance; it's sort of obvious that the game environment is "condensed" quite a bit, that Elywnn Forest is much more sweeping than in the game, that to get to Goldshire you might need to do more than trip over a branch in the road as you walked out the gate of Stormwind.

Hopefully this is going to perform well enough that we can skip ahead and get a WC3 adaptation. I wish they had moved beyond "the Fel" and actually established the Legion and/or Sargeras by name as the real, long term danger they represent in the Warcraft setting.

Quote Originally Posted by merex760 View Post
    The major problem with Warcraft is it's missing things like this. Things that build/introduce characters in a delightful way. This movie couldn't sit still in one place for two minutes. That's its biggest fault.

I fall asleep with each viewing of Lotr. Too long, bad 15 year old CGI.

And a plot that is a complete joke.

White Knight King vs the Evil Orcs with the aid of 3 stooges. And they all live happily ever after...

Sooooooo one sided of good vs evil.

Warcraft displays the Orcs/Humans as shades of Grey. Much darker, much better.

FAST Pacing of Warcraft is its strength in the IMAX shows. For the real FANS there will be the 40 minutes extra footage on DVD.

Perfect.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and btw, the +110.000.000 ex WoW trials/players will bring in another 200 million dollars for the extended DVD version that will be more than a Collector's item in many houses.

Passing 600 million dollars revenue will not even be a problem.

With 100 million production costs, 60 million added distribution and marketing and Legendary's mother company owning 80% of the theaters in China, I guess Morhaime and Metzen as CO PRODUCERS will AGAIN light some Cuban cigars in their offices.

Sequel assured. I am glad we will see young Thrall

May the hate trolls hide under their rocks forever .

The Warcraft Culture is now well established in movie land.
    Last edited by BenBos; 2016-06-11 at 06:51 AM.

Best fucking movie ever. Nothing more to say.

I managed to drag my parents who thought it was stupid, that video games movies always flop.

Now they want to read all the books and know more about the lore.

Now we just need to cross our fingers that it makes enough money for sequels !!

how many Warcraft movie threads are there?

Question, in the very opening of the movie it was kind of panning over some ice, was that the Lich King?

Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    I fall asleep with each viewing of Lotr. Too long, bad 15 year old CGI.

And a plot that is a complete joke.

White Knight King vs the Evil Orcs with the aid of 3 stooges.

Sooooooo one sided of good vs evil.

Warcraft displays the Orcs/Humans as shades of Grey. Much darker, much better.
    I agree, just putting up the whole movie in the opening scene as in:
    "The orcs are savages from a very savage world, coming to destroy our peaceful and forever happy place called azeroth"
    Would have destroyed any first peek into the franchise and building your own opinion about it, seeing it from both sides really gives the opportunity of liking one side over another, while the whole "for azeroth" yelling felt abit off for me since i still prefer the AvsH conflict than peace.

Overall it was a great movie, the fight scenes were one of the best i've ever seen (really liked the more "brutal" aspect of it), the eastereggs, choice of actors not being terrible (Medivh and Garona being my favorites), the beautiful world and CGI (with some exceptions ofc) and making me really want to see a second and third movie to that, hopefully with the same Director since he really seems to understand what was needed to make such a movie for a broader audience while still keeping it "true" for the Warcraft fans.
    Also, IMO the music was spot on, really loved it.

As a sidenote, its a movie based on the Warcraft franchise, lore changes due to cinematic reasons are common, its NOT warcraft 1: the movie.

Saw the movie last night:

I felt the cast tried as best they could, but the script severely held them back. The guy who played Doomhammer did a pretty good job though.
    The movie tried to have too many stories lines, so it had to suffer because of it.
    There was never any real bonding/meaningful interaction between any other characters outside of lothar and his son.
    CGI wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but there was still probably too much.
    The director missed a ton of ways to incorporate the game into the movie that would have helped the audience better understand what was going on.
    There were so many things that were left unexplained (high elves anyone?), I don't see how anyone who didn't play the games would have any idea what the hell was going on.
    Lothar's gryphon was probably the best thing in the movie.