Page 95 of 128 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by metasine View Post
    Saw the movie last night:

I felt the cast tried as best they could, but the script severely held them back. The guy who played Doomhammer did a pretty good job though.
    The movie tried to have too many stories lines, so it had to suffer because of it.
    There was never any real bonding/meaningful interaction between any other characters outside of lothar and his son.
    CGI wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but there was still probably too much.
    The director missed a ton of ways to incorporate the game into the movie that would have helped the audience better understand what was going on.
    There were so many things that were left unexplained (high elves anyone?), I don't see how anyone who didn't play the games would have any idea what the hell was going on.
    Lothar's gryphon was probably the best thing in the movie.
    Looking to your post history and seeing you rate Blizzard products as low as -2 (sic) with negative ascid one liners all over the place.

I guess the movie is rather awesome to you too Have a look through this guy's hating posts guys ...

THEN you realise how good the movie really is I liked his old post where he stated that it should be all CGI, ... or HOW to know who is posting
    Last edited by BenBos; 2016-06-11 at 07:06 AM.

Deleted
    TLDR 7/10

Here's the wall of text:

have to applaud the attempt at bringing this movie to life. Similar to Civil War having a ton of characters, the insanely detailed and rich lore of Warcraft is incredibly hard to fit into a 2 hour screen time. However, unlike Civil War, Warcraft isn't that well glued together and suffers from many things a lot of critics have mentioned. Nevertheless, I think the movie has received an unfair amount of bashing and is definitely a good video game movie which follows the source material closely.

I'll start of by saying that the CGI and the motion capture is amazing. Every single orc looks unique, moves and fights appropriately for their size and is menacing just like they are supposed to be. Lord of the Rings orcs are a joke compared to these bad boys. The true Orc stars are of course Durotan (the wise, young Frostwolf clan chieftain) and Gul'dan (the sinister, demonic warlock), who each shine in their own way. Durotan is probably the best developed character in the movie and his facial expressions are jaw dropping. Gul'dan is evil incarnate. The way he sucks the souls out of his victims is flat out terrifying.

The magic in this movie is of the hook, balls to the wall, full throttle powerful. It is spectacular and a breath of fresh air compared to the lackluster, weaksauce magic you get in Harry Potter and other movies. The sorcery action clearly establishes that mages are by far the most dangerous and lethal people (and orcs) to walk Azeroth. I was afraid I was going to hate Khadgar when I saw the trailers, but surprisingly he ends up being rather compelling. The human armor is interesting, colorful and exactly what you would expect from a human army in this universe.

While the armor is beautiful and shiny, some people wearing it aren't colorful enough personalities to make it work. The king, played by Dominic Cooper, is dull, uninspiring and is unreasonably friendly and naive (just like his Queen) when it comes to the interaction with the orcs. To me it felt unrealistic that both would be so open and friendly with Garona. A lack of prejudice on the human side made that side of the conflict seem too mellow, pacifist and boring in some cases. It is clear that a lot of hatred of the orcs was cut out of the movie (there is 30-40 minutes more available in the directors cut) since it was present in the trailers. This is a shame, since racial prejudice has always been a big part of the Warcraft lore. That makes the team up moments much more sweet when they actually happen.

Other characters, specifically Medivh, Garona and Lothar are reasonable, but lack anything particularly interesting about them. They work for the movie but the performances could have been better. Specifically Lothar didn't get enough time to develop his relationship with his family. Everyone could have used a couple more minutes to give them more spice.

The pacing in the movie, as mentioned before by many other reviewers, is bad. There is a bit too much jumping around from point A to point B, making each individual scene have less of an impact. As a result, the movie is not grounded enough to have proper world building, which in my opinion was what made the first LOTR movie so good. As such, a lot of mystery and wonder is lost because the movie doesn't leave the audience enough time to process what have happened. The movie has a lot of magic, but the magic of subtlety is not one of them.

While flawed in many ways, I think this a decent first attempt by Blizzard to get into the movie business. What is great about Warcraft is that it doesn't follow a lot of terrible and boring Hollywood cliches. The Orcs are much more than just useless idiots, as they are an actual people with feelings and code of honor. The movie is bold with its plot (thanks to the story being bold) and these risks taken make it much more enjoyable. The fact that Marvel is playing it too safe with their characters is one of my greatest pet peeves.

Warcraft has stunning visuals and a couple of very great and touching moments, but suffers from a story that is too rappid fire. 7/10 for me (and 7/10 for non fans also, if anything me knowing the story makes me more critical. Hopefully this movie gets the money and we get a sequel. The potential is there to get a great one.

movie was a horrendous pile of crap that came out 10 years too late. You nerds lap it up because you like wow, but a turd is still a turd. Blizz has been going downhill for years and this steaming heap of manure is just the latest effort to siphon money from nerds in denial. Id rather watch twilight than see this POS again.. please, no sequel.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon138 View Post
    Question, in the very opening of the movie it was kind of panning over some ice, was that the Lich King?

No, that was the Blizzard Entertainment logo done up all fancy. It wasn't part of the movie.

I'm not someone who is lost on the fact everyone has their own opinions about things...but for those who are so vocal about their dislike of this movie, then I can only assume you dislike fantasy movies in general. I found this to be a fantastic movie, only made better by the fact I have played the games for so many years, but if you're a fan of fantasy movies but not warcraft, I still don't see how you wouldn't like this. It had it's cheesiness to it at times...as all fantasy movies should have. Quit trying to compare anything fantasy to the mostly crap LoTR movies please, in my opinion most of the LoTR trilogy was total pussy nonsense. This warcraft movie was just fun.

3/10

Acting was really bad,
    Most charismatic character was the gryphon.
    Stupid Garona and Lothar love scenes

Khadgar and Medivh were the worst characters ive seen in movies.
    Most of the movie I was bored and thinking about leaving the theather

Special effects where good thats why i give this movie a 3

Quote Originally Posted by Whatsthedillio View Post
    movie was a horrendous pile of crap that came out 10 years too late. You nerds lap it up because you like wow, but a turd is still a turd. Blizz has been going downhill for years and this steaming heap of manure is just the latest effort to siphon money from nerds in denial. Id rather watch twilight than see this POS again.. please, no sequel.
    Yes yes, one post you're talking about how you haven't played since 2 months after release, the next thread you're talking about shadow priest gear in the brawlers guild. I truly do believe some generic yawn-troll like you actually does love the Twilight movies

Quote Originally Posted by Feel The Power View Post
    I'm not someone who is lost on the fact everyone has their own opinions about things...but for those who are so vocal about their dislike of this movie, then I can only assume you dislike fantasy movies in general. I found this to be a fantastic movie, only made better by the fact I have played the games for so many years, but if you're a fan of fantasy movies but not warcraft, I still don't see how you wouldn't like this. It had it's cheesiness to it at times...as all fantasy movies should have. Quit trying to compare anything fantasy to the mostly crap LoTR movies please, in my opinion most of the LoTR trilogy was total pussy nonsense. This warcraft movie was just fun.

love fantasy, but also like plots and dialogue. Sorry, warcraft had neither.
    Your post is like saying "hey, just because you dont like every pile of shit Uwe Boll has made, you must not like fantasy." But no, in reality, A terrible movie is a terrible movie, and Warcraft, just like everything Uwe Boll has made, is a terrible movie, regardless of the genre. Shame really.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Feel The Power View Post
    Yes yes, one post you're talking about how you haven't played since 2 months after release, the next thread you're talking about shadow priest gear in the brawlers guild. I truly do believe some generic yawn-troll like you actually does love the Twilight movies
    Grats, You looked at my post history! One of them was about starwars, idiot. Still doesnt make me wrong, just makes you a dumbass.. movie sucked donkey balls.

infracted
    Last edited by Splenda; 2016-06-11 at 09:49 AM.

As a pop-corn movie it's certanly not worse then the Star-Trek and Marvel franchises. Personally I found Civil War at times boring, (especially the Capt. America/Bucky/Iron Man bromance-drama which reminded me of the Sam/Frodo-relationship in LotR), Warcraft IMO wasn't. As stated numerous times the movie was too short for decent character development and introduction of the background. Hopefully, if a sequel does happen, they'll choose to go for a simpler story with less introduction of new characters/things. Personally I'm hoping for Lord of the Clans, with the results from the second war being showed as flashbacks from Orgrim/Grom, maybe with a paralell story on the alliance side focusing on Varian.

10+ Year Old Account
    8/10

I expected it to be worse because of human actors. They were not bad like I had heard Lane started off okay though he flubbed at the end and his queen was forgettable though not because she was a bad actor her part was just very minimal. The Lothar x Garona thing hurt the movie and the movie moved too fast at some points but overall it was very good.

I liked it. Wouldn't say it's a miraculous achievement of modern cinema, but I would definitely add it to my collection and watch it once in a while. What I know of the lore of the RTS and MMO, I feel the movie did a good job switching/changing around the way events occur yet still having them take place. I felt it really helps stand on its own for people that know nothing about the game and still make it somewhat fresh for the fans.
    That being said, the movie definitely has some issues with it. Diehard fans won't like the fact that events unfold differently from a beloved franchise that they want to see happen the way they know. Some of the CGI is overused. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it was overused with the orcs, I thought they were done well. My issue lies with the dwarves mostly, as they could have done something more along the lines of LotR with cinematography tricks, and some of the effects at times looked not real. They didn't look cheap, just like they wouldn't exist with everything. Also, something as heavily driven with story from the games, some of the movie felt rushed trying to get the story in it. I also feel like maybe they showed the humans in too good of a light, as most of the time it seemed like they focused on only their good qualities and less of the fears and worry of the Orcs appearing in the world; whereas, the parts that are opposite seemed glossed over.
    All that being said, I would recommend the movie to people who are fans of sci fi/fantasy genre movies and just wanting to have fun. It might not evoke deep feelings or cause you to think much about what's happening during it, but still a good movie to spend a couple hours of your life watching.

I know it seems far-fetched to even think about at this time, but I have real trouble imagining a "Warcraft 3" movie.

It seems like entirely too much lore and characters to cram into a movie. The story of Arthas is a movie by itself, so how would you cram in the Burning Legion and the Orcs? Does anyone else think about this? Would this be better as a TV series?

15+ Year Old Account
    Just got home from the theater after seeing Warcraft. I think they did a fantastic job with this franchise with Hollywood behind it. The human acting, as others have pointed out, seemed a little forced. But the orcs were by far the best. Well done.

As a WoW player for 11 years, I would personally rate it a 8/10. I predicted this movie would be at least a B grade for a sci-fi fantasy movie. It totally held up to its marketing; it was overall great.

DO NOT LISTEN TO THE CRITICS. They are paid to speak the mind of the hand that feeds them (to a degree). PLEASE AT LEAST GIVE IT A CHANCE if you have no seen it already. It was worth the ticket price (unlike other video game movies). The battle scenes are absolutely fantastic, the environment is rich in detail, the spell effects (literally, Khadgar's magic etc.) is absolutely perfect. Fits the mage theme very well.

The story did feel rushed to a point, but not so much where someone could not follow along, or get lost in the story. It was only rushed if you were already a fan of the franchise. But hey, that's Hollywood for you. This movie already ran at over 2 hours; I'm sure we'll see a ton more footage in the deleted scenes/director's cut on DVD.

PLEASE GO SEE IT! We must get Arthas on the Silver Screen! Support Warcraft!!

6/10

The only really good thing was the CGI (although it did have a few weak spots).
    Everything else was mediocrity at best.
    The biggest problem was the godawful pacing. As soon as you get even mildly interested in a scene it cuts to a different thing.

15+ Year Old Account
    For people interested in the differences in the lore. Nice explanation from Nobble: https://youtu.be/A7AxqtYl6W0 [spoilers]

The movie pretty much met my expectations:
    - much better than I feared
    - much worse than I wanted

In general it feels rushed and unfinished, lack of epicness in the first part. Second half is solid. 7/10 overall.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by KharraWRA View Post
    No, that was the Blizzard Entertainment logo done up all fancy. It wasn't part of the movie.
    Yes it was the LK. And there was diablo, tracer and kerrigan in the logo too.

The movie is suprisingly good. Felt kinda rushed at start, with no time to develop the story but wasnt that bad. 7.5/10 in my opinion: not a cinematic masterpiece but a good, colorful movie with amazing cgi. 10/10 for the entertainment and massive rewatch potential.
    Last edited by mmoc9f3b301a08; 2016-06-11 at 10:27 AM.

Reading about movie theater economics, I understand why the movie was cut down. In general, theaters don't like movies that are much longer than this because it cuts down on their ad revenue. The theaters make a lot of money from all those ads they make you sit through before the movie starts. Longer movie = fewer showings = less revenue.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

You know, i wanted to like this movie, i really do, but there is just too many problems.

Just like the game, gameplay(game)/visuals(movie) are great while the story is held back to a lower standard. Specially that ending.

I give it a 5/10

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Reading about movie theater economics, I understand why the movie was cut down. In general, theaters don't like movies that are much longer than this because it cuts down on their ad revenue. The theaters make a lot of money from all those ads they make you sit through before the movie starts. Longer movie = fewer showings = less revenue.
    Plus customers complain about long movies all the time.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death