Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum

Do you think political threads ruin this forum?

I don't mind them. but all it does is cause harmful relationships between this community. You're not going to change the way someone thinks this country should be governed, nor the person who will make this happen. I wish people would just wait to see who becomes the next president.. and then we could have conversations regarding what we might expect from the winner. I guess i'm weird that way.

I think pointless troll threads do much more damage than political discourse.
    One of these days, I should probably figure out a decent signature.

Herald of the Titans Zenotetsuken's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    I think that people with different views than my own ruin this forum!

If we added politics to the banned topics list, I'm not sure if we would have much left to talk about in OT.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    I don't mind them. but all it does is cause harmful relationships between this community. You're not going to change the way someone thinks this country should be governed, nor the person who will make this happen. I wish people would just wait to see who becomes the next president.. and then we could have conversations regarding what we might expect from the winner. I guess i'm weird that way.
    I believe one of the mods here stated this isn't the place to look if you are trying to make friends....or some such.
    MODs set the tone/adjust the flow of the ....hate here...so.
    More or less the answer of why MMOC is ...allowed / is what it is.

I think the threads about feminism, SJW, and whatever other boogeyman that replaced the friendzone posts ruin this forum. At least politics has some variety. Sometimes. Not very often recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldonia View Post
    I think pointless troll threads do much more damage than political discourse.
    Troll threads are meant to be fun, political threads are anything but most of the time.

then again I don't really have a problem with political threads, just the people who post them...

Elemental Lord Lady Dragonheart's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Amongst the Wilds, or in my Garrison... >.>
    I usually find them rather boring, myself.
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!

10+ Year Old Account
    Political threads are the only thing allowed here anymore.

If you make a thread about anything else it gets locked.

"This topic could offend someone. Locked.
    -Endus"

I don't usually post in them, or when I start to, I catch myself and close the window, but they can be entertaining to watch both sides go at each other with such hostility.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes

we need more of your threads.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Phayde View Post
    I don't usually post in them, or when I start to, I catch myself and close the window, but they can be entertaining to watch both sides go at each other with such hostility.
    thats where the fun comes from.

15+ Year Old Account
    Not much else left.. I like variation, so I can open the forum and have a good chance of finding something entertaining or interesting. With anything remotely related to or containing the word sex, religion, gender, race, nation bashion, nationalism, conspiracy, ethnicity, being banned (unless they're targeting the approved groups) and all remotely social threads being quickly moved to a different forum, the forum is really limited in scope. We're left with random shower thoughts, linking news articles and politics. If politics disapeared I don't think there'd be much worth sticking around for.

People will find ways to hate each other/argue even without politics.

Like, telling @GennGreymane that Iron Man was clearly the right side to be on.

But seriously, no, I don't think they do.

Yes, next question.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky High View Post
    Troll threads are meant to be fun, political threads are anything but most of the time.

then again I don't really have a problem with political threads, just the people who post them...
    I prefer to call them "satire threads". "Troll" inherently implies a malicious intent, sometimes there are very obvious joke threads that get locked because it's "trolling". I guess The Onion has been "trolling" for 28 years now. That said, I'm not here's to crap on the mod team or anything, I just think satire threads get it a little harder than they should thanks to the troll threads that are actually malicious. Not much that can be done to fix it, I guess.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    People will find ways to hate each other/argue even without politics.

Like, telling @GennGreymane that Iron Man was clearly the right side to be on.

But seriously, no, I don't think they do.
    Have we ever debated this? I kinda wanna now.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenotetsuken View Post
    I think that people with different views than my own ruin this forum!
    Oh yeah?! Well I think having too many people with identical views ruin this forum, it it makes "discussion" feel like circlejerking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Have we ever debated this? I kinda wanna now.
    Nope, we haven't! I didn't post in any Civil War discussion threads, which is where I would of imagined the conversation would happen. I just saw your sig and went with it. Both sides had their merits.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    Oh yeah?! Well I think having too many people with identical views ruin this forum, it it makes "discussion" feel like circlejerking.
    those threads get a tad gross and sticky...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Nope, we haven't! I didn't post in any Civil War discussion threads, which is where I would of imagined the conversation would happen. I just saw your sig and went with it. Both sides had their merits.
    Link me to it if u ever feel like havin a quick discussion

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think any threads ruin this forum; you can always ignore those you aren't interested in. Certain posters though... But not you: you, Jay, are our hope! <3
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

10+ Year Old Account
    We need more jay threads!