Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bollocks View Post
    This post put it simple:

"Adultery is a consensual sex, by definition. "
    Do you have a reliable source that your claim reflects the legal situation in Qatar?
    Or is it simply how you define adultery? You are aware that they speak another language than English over there and translations aren't always exact?
    The word they use might very well not take consent into account, you cannot simply use the definition of the word used to translate this as it is used in your homeland, I'm quite sure you are neither God nor the center of the universe, so your authority at defining the legal situation in Qatar is likely quite poor.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noradin View Post
    Do you have a reliable source that your claim reflects the legal situation in Qatar?
    Or is it simply how you define adultery? You are aware that they speak another language than English over there and translations aren't always exact?
    The word they use might very well not take consent into account, you cannot simply use the definition of the word used to translate this as it is used in your homeland, I'm quite sure you are neither God nor the center of the universe, so your authority at defining the legal situation in Qatar is likely quite poor.
    You know he gave an example right in that post you´ve quoted. There was another similar case that explains how this works.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

7+ Year Old Account
    If you read the article there was a similar situation and the woman was free of the charges, when it was proven that the act was rape. From that I assume that in order for it to be considered adultery it requires to be consentual.

She was Roofied by the guy who raped her, and she woke up naked and confused, how is that "consensual"?

If you read the article there was a similar situation and the woman was free of the charges, when it was proven that the act was rape. From that I assume that in order for it to be considered adultery it requires to be consentual.
    Fair enough, so it might be the case in Qatar, specifically, then again I hear of cases going the other way.
    (I cannot check the source linked in the op, it crashes all three browsers I tried. Apparently being a well known news source does not guarantee you competent technical staff, or maybe it is some content from other sources they stupidly show on their page.)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Svad View Post
    She was Roofied by the guy who raped her, and she woke up naked and confused, how is that "consensual"?
    Can that be proven, that she was roofied?
    Last edited by Noradin; 2016-06-12 at 07:42 AM.

There have been numerous cases that went the other way.

Fair enough, so it is the case in Qatar, specifically.
    (I cannot check the source linked in the op, it crashes all three browsers I tried.)

- - - Updated - - -

Can that be proven, that she was roofied?
    Your one of those people who also thinks that the girl who was raped by that swimmer guy, at Standford, was asking for it?

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    So basically this is a case of he said/she said and both are being held until they know which one is telling the truth. The title reads as if the investigation into the charges was already concluded.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmatrix View Post
    So basically this is a case of he said/she said and both are being held until they know which one is telling the truth. The title reads as if the investigation into the charges was already concluded.
    Yep basically. She said it was rape, the man said it was consensual. So both are now being held under arrest for suspicion of adultered sex. If she can prove it was rape, then she will be set free and sent to her country and the man will be given his respective punishment.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    The police suspects the woman in lying about having been raped and having participated in adultery instead (i.e. consensual sex between a married person and not their spouse), which is illegal in Qatar. Now, I think that adultery being illegal is pretty insane - but it still makes the title wrong and provocative. The woman was not arrested "because of being raped", she was arrested "because of being suspected in adultery".

So, you believe someone "saw them" and told the police and the woman says it was rape to safe her own hide?
    Because that would be the only reason why she'd lie about it. It would be rather stupid of her to call the police if it wasn't rape, right?

She isn't a native, she is/was a tourist.
    Last edited by mmoc96d9238e4b; 2016-06-12 at 07:55 AM.

I still dont get why people even travel to this pos countries at the first place...
    War within is boring and lazy - beat me to it.

Yep basically. She said it was rape, the man said it was consensual. So both are now being held under arrest for suspicion of adultered sex. If she can prove it was rape, then she will be set free and sent to her country and the man will be given his respective punishment.
    This is hardly the first time this has made the news over the years. It's happened to several women.

- Woman is allegedly raped. She goes to the police.
    - Woman and man are imprisoned for months
    - If the woman is lucky, she proves it wasn't consensual or the nation pressure is enough to be released from prison.

This is the same nation that arrested a man for giving a 'gay handshake' after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Svad View Post
    Your one of those people who also thinks that the girl who was raped by that swimmer guy, at Standford, was asking for it?
    What has that to do with the topic at hand? (For your information: No, if this is the case I'm thinking about.)

I'm asking for information.
    If it cannot be proven then it is a case of her word against his, and may roofies have a very small window until they cannot be detected anymore.
    In any case, if the claim was disputed--which it obviously was as stated before in this thread--then it is only natural that that objection has to be ruled upon before it can be dismissed. Ruled upon by a person with the necessary authority on the matter, that is. (Officially and by a judge I expect, not by some random police officer on the street.)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by KrayZee View Post
    So, you believe someone "saw them" and told the police and the woman says it was rape to safe her own hide?
    Because that would be the only reason why she'd lie about it. It would be rather stupid of her to call the police if it wasn't rape, right?

She could theoretically have reasons not readily apparent, would you want for the police to just assume one way or another and thus inofficially judge in place of an official judge?

Edit: Just to make it clear: Yes, it is an injustice for an innocent to be detained due to false accusations, but how would you avoid that without looking into the future and divining the judgement on the case before the investigation and hearing happend?
    Last edited by Noradin; 2016-06-12 at 08:03 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Collegeguy View Post
    That's doesn't change much. If she had to go to court and have a separate case after it was proven she wasn't raped, then it would be at least less disparaging if the law worked that way in a case of rape/adultery. Mind the matter that it doesn't really improve anything when it comes to reporting rape.
    I agree that the system is pretty silly, but it still means that the woman wasn't arrested "because of being raped", since the reason for the arrest is exactly the suspicion of the opposite: that she wasn't raped, but, rather, committed adultery. If the police thought she was raped instead, then only the man would have been arrested and not her.

The title tries to equate Qatar to countries like Iran or Saudi Arabia, in which, indeed, women are punished FOR being raped - while it is not true for Qatar in reality. Qatar stands very far away from extreme Sharia countries, and, while it is hardly a land of liberty and democracy, it is well above the usual suspects in this regard.

What does it matter what I believe? Of course I disagree with the actions of the police, with their logic, and the whole idea of adultery being a crime reeks of North Korea. This isn't what the discussion is about though.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Deleted
    What does it matter what I believe? Of course I disagree with the actions of the police, with their logic and the whole idea of adultery being a crime reeks of North Korea. This isn't what the discussion is about though.
    It is, because you say it's clickbait, and the only way it's clickbait is if the woman got caught cheating. Otherwise the title is 100% correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Aradur View Post
    I still dont get why people even travel to this pos countries at the first place...
    Have you ever been? I have.

I'll say that I will gladly take a vacation just to one of the airport hotels there over many places in the US and Europe. Just the hotel. Not even talking about any of the tourist sites and fancy areas. Hell, their airport alone is kinda ballin as fuck.

If we were talking about Somalia or something I'd agree, but Qatar is a really nice place if you have the cash.

10+ Year Old Account
    It is, because you say it's clickbait, and the only way it's clickbait is if the woman got caught cheating. Otherwise the title is 100% correct.
    The title claims that she was arrested "because of being raped".
    The reality is that she was arrested "because of possibly NOT being raped".

It is not 100% correct, it is 100% incorrect.
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SidFwuff View Post
    This is hardly the first time this has made the news over the years. It's happened to several women.

- Woman is allegedly raped. She goes to the police.
    - Woman and man are imprisoned for months
    - If the woman is lucky, she proves it wasn't consensual or the nation pressure is enough to be released from prison.

This is the same nation that arrested a man for giving a 'gay handshake' after all.
    Well our system is no better either. We tend to heavily favour the woman when she makes a rape allegation and send the man to prision under the assumption he is already guilty. I disagree with the idea of making adultered sex illegal; something I don't want to argue right now, but at least under this system everyone is given an equal chance to prove their claims. If the evidence indicates that there was in fact a rape then there should be no problem.

Also under sharia law the punishmet for rape is severe so the judge cannot make mistakes.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    The title claims that she was arrested "because of being raped".
    The reality is that she was arrested "because of possibly NOT being raped".

It is not 100% correct, it is 100% incorrect.
    No. That's not what the article says at least.

"She was arrested in March on suspicion of having sex outside of marriage. She is due to appear in court on Monday."
    "She was arrested in March on suspicion of having sex outside of marriage. She is due to appear in court on Monday."

10+ Year Old Account
    No. That's not what the article says at least.

Dude...
    The woman goes to the police and claims she has been raped by a man.
    The man gets arrested.
    The police suspects that the sex was consensual, hence not rape, and arrests her as well.

This is the story. What is not clear here?