Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    Why would the fantasy worlds of Azeroth and Draenor use English names? They are not USA.
    I personally prefer names in Fantasy to stay true to the original language, which is (luckily) often the case in Dutch, since not all names in a Fantasy setting are actual words. How would you translate Azeroth and Draenor? What is the linguistical meaning behind those words that they can be translated?

I'd rather play with Stormwind, Dalaran, Draenor and Darnassus than play with the French Hurlevent, Draenor, Dalaran and Darnassus. Translating the one that has a meaning and leaving the others intact because they are just names feels convoluted.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bridius View Post
    Like others have said, I agree with many of the slight lore changes they made. For instance Duraton dying to Gul'dan in a mak'gora was waaaay better than just being killed by a random assassin. In the end he still died through the will of Gul'dan, just in a more meaningful way.
    Agreed, it also lays the ground work for the development of how the orcs will forsake Gul'dan in future endeavours.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Frostyfire14 View Post
    I think its funny how people are saying the movie's income represents a total failure. It's not even done opening worldwide yet.
    It's also funny that a movie's success now hinges on its opening weekend result as opposed to the turnover over its lifetime.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mojo03 View Post
    The actor playing Medivh felt like he didn't understand what he was actually talking about a lot of the time.
    To me that was part of the role. Medivh is supposed to be this twisted, mysterious person. I feel like the actor made him sufficiently aloof and ambiguous before being revealed as him being corrupted.

Honestly? I thought Medivh, Khadgar and Lothar were the best played non-CGI roles. Others like Garona, Llane, a lot of the other humans and also Antonidas were crap.

Watched the movie yesterday in a Kinepolis cinema (3D version). It exceeded all of my expectations, especially so after all of the flack it has been getting on RT and MMO-C since day0.

My opinion
    Warcraft: The Beginning brings amazing visual effects (practical and CGI seamlessly flowing over into each other), sound effects that make you experience the action as if you’re in it, epic feeling music where each hit of the war drums go through your bones, and a story of the origins of the war between Orcs and Humans on Azeroth. It all comes together in an amazing 2 hour movie. I feel the 2 hour mark was imposed, and that initially recording had the 2,5 or even 3 hours mark in mind, however those 2 hours are still far above good by any standard. There are some Warcraft & WoW jokes integrated, which had the theater laughing out loud.
    I look forward to watching it again once it releases on BluRay, as there are so many easter eggs and details hidden in plain sight all over the movie.
    The amount of unique models that were made for this movie are amazing, if you're into the lore you'll recognize many characters. Even characters just interacting with the world, in more of a background role in this movie have unique and recognizable looks.

TL;DR:
    Sound effects: 9/10
    Music/ambient: 9/10
    Visuals: 9.5/10
    Story: 8.5/10
    Pacing: 8/10
    TOTAL Score: 8,8/10 – If you’re a fan of the books, games or just fantasy/action adventure movies in general you’ll find the first Warcraft movie very enjoyable on one condition: let the film experience take you on an adventure of epic proportions. An amazing origins tale, and by far the best game based movie I've seen to date.
    Last edited by Shorteh; 2016-06-12 at 08:52 AM. Reason: typo

Lothar's son is the biggest thing that baffles me about this movie. Anduin Lothar had no children, yet in the movie they give him one, just so he can die, just so he can be avenged. I mean ina movie that needed to cram to much content into it, it's something that really wasn't needed at all. I felt nothing when his son died because we barely see him, and thus no elation when he was "avenged" It was more like "Ha Lother just owned Blackhand!"

Overall the fact that this movie only spans 2 hours is it's biggest problem and I'm not sure why it was cut. Fellowship of the Ring is 3 hours long, Harry Potter and the Sorcerers Stone is 2 hours and a half. These high fantasy and movies in my opinion require long run times because the setting and characters (which are of different worlds and races) need time to be set up.

Overall though I enjoyed the movie. I must say though I feel some CGI was overused such as Antonidas (the Dalaran mage) and the Elves glowing eyes. I think they just would have been better off with contacts that reflect light.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowraven View Post
    Thank you very much.
    No worries glad to be of some use lol

Quote Originally Posted by Kahmal View Post
    Lothar's son is the biggest thing that baffles me about this movie. Anduin Lothar had no children, yet in the movie they give him one, just so he can die, just so he can be avenged. I mean ina movie that needed to cram to much content into it, it's something that really wasn't needed at all. I felt nothing when his son died because we barely see him, and thus no elation when he was "avenged" It was more like "Ha Lother just owned Blackhand!"
    He's easily the most useless character. You could remove him and it wouldn't have affected anything. Think about it. We wouldn't have had the "Lothar vs lightning wall" scene. We wouldn't have had the angry Lothar vs cocky Medivh scene. We would've still had the Lothar vs Blackhand scene, just without him wanting revenge for his son. Everything regarding his son and the scenes related to him were insignificant.

It's even more pointless than the love story.

Quote Originally Posted by logintime View Post
    I'd have to respectfully disagree. I wasn't expecting Shakespeare, or even Oscar-bait, just good acting. This didn't have much of that.

Lothar was fine- the actor playing him managed to sell the role. Llane really did not have much to do or say. Garona was not fine and one of her lines got laughter from half of my screening's audience ["I have never felt such pain..."]. And the guy playing Khadgar was just awful. Could not deliver a line to save his life.

Durotan was probably the best performance in the movie, and the guy playing him really nailed the physicality and voicework.

So now we're not allowed to criticize a movie unless we are employed by the industry? By that reasoning, you have no footing to praise it either, unless you can somehow scrounge up your directors guild membership for us to see.
    the beauty of life is that i can tell you how shitty i think your opinion is, and you can do the same.

you wanna see my directors guild membership? its tattooed on my dick BBBBBYAAAAAAHHH
    No sense crying over spilt beer, unless you're drunk...

Alright I saw the film and although I had fun (because i've been playing wow 10 years and finally got to see everything on screen) I have to say...

... the movie is pretty bad.

The good news? Its not as bad as it couldve been.
    The bad news? It's nowhere near as good as I hoped it would be.

Some of the bad things in the movie:

- A couple unforgiveably cringeworthy cliched scenes and dialogue. (Worst example: The scene where Medivhs magical barrier separates father+son, and one has to helplessly watch the other die. How.... original)
    - King Wrynns casting. Terrible choice breaks immersion.
    - Lothars son. Was a stupid inclusion to the movie period, especially with scenes like the above
    - Garona's look isnt quite right. She looks like a hot-chick on halloween that you still wanna fuck, even though shes wearing a green orc costume. Aka - she looks silly
    - Garona's 'love story' and flirting etc. Fucking stupid....
    - Medivh didnt feel quite right. I'm not 100% sold on his casting, I dont think he was mysterious or threatening enough either. Seemed a bit too much like some random guy dressed up as a wizard to me - and we're meant to just accept hes supremely powerful - aka I didnt believe his casting + persona

A few good things:

- Magic wielding and use was great.
    - Khadgar was good. I didnt think i'd like his casting, but he was great.
    - Lothar was fine. I didnt think i'd like his casting at all, but he turned out good. The biggest propblem with him wasnt really his fault, it was the stupid scenes they put him in (like the father+son death one)
    - Movie was colourful (true to warcrafts cartoony exaggerated look)

I had fun during the film, but honestly, this was their opportunity to take the Warcraft franchise and get the WORLD excited about it. And with that could come a huge new franchise, sequels etc etc. The same way they did with Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings etc etc. They've failed at that (except maybe in China, haha).

Pending international box office, we'll be hovering over a big fat 'maybe' with regards to sequels... and that isnt a comfortable place to be. Warcraft had the potential to be something so much more than what was delivered.
    Last edited by TyrianFC; 2016-06-12 at 11:06 AM.

The movie was okay. I just saw it yesterday and I agree with most reviews on it. The story is rushed and too fast paced. Ive been told they had to cut 40min of the movie to make it 2h, they shouldnt have done that, as it hurts the movie. The extended DVD version should be better overall, more complexe, deeper. The orc story was great. The CGI is very well done. They changed a few things from the original story, but it isnt so bad. Medhiv, Kadgar and Lothar were my favorite Alliance character. I didnt like the King that much (he looks weak, like the King of France in the TV Serie Viking for those who follow this serie). Seeing some of the Warlords (even if they're not part of the story in the movie) was cool, as only the fan will recognize them (Hellscream, Kilrogg, Kargath). But the story isnt about them yet, so its fine. The Elves were horribly done IMO and sadly not part of the story at all. :sadface:

6/10 overall. (This rating include a +1 score for being a fan, +1 for the CGI and +1 for the scenery/nostalgia that reminds you of the game)

Quote Originally Posted by Tincjin View Post
    I just liked that his son was gang-raped by most of the Warlords, you could see Grommash, Killrog and Blackhand around his son.
    LMAO when I saw him simply look at Grom I was like "Yeah...he's royally fucked"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TyrianFC View Post
    I had fun during the film, but honestly, this was their opportunity to take the Warcraft franchise and get the WORLD excited about it. And with that could come a huge new franchise, sequels etc etc. The same way they did with Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings etc etc. They've failed at that (except maybe in China, haha).
    It's doing well all over the world. In Germany the film is a solid number 1 for 2 weeks now, having an box office of 150% what Pacific Rim for comparison did in it's life time, or Angry Birds that started two weeks earlier and has less intake.
    The only maybe is the US really.
    Last edited by Plehnard; 2016-06-12 at 11:55 AM.

I'd like to add, the soundtrack to the film was awesome, music was spot on.
    "Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."

It was better than the I was lead to believe.

One thing though....if that's how big the orcs are...how big will trolls & taurens be?
    Last edited by Bodakane; 2016-06-12 at 03:03 PM.
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Plehnard View Post
    It's doing well all over the world. In Germany the film is a solid number 1 for 2 weeks now, having an box office of 150% what Pacific Rim for comparison did in it's life time, or Angry Birds that started two weeks earlier and has less intake.
    The only maybe is the US really.
    Unfortunately being number 1 in german for a week or 2 means shit all, as it would in most of the 'warcraft opened in number 1' markets that make piss all money - when we're talking about a film needing 500 million to break even. Its just good for a marketing PR bandwagon line for naive people to jump on.

For box office purposes, USA = World. And while that is a little of an exaggeration, its still closer to reality than anyone would like to accept.

For box office purposes, USA = World.
    This is not even close to true.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Read what I said carefully, I said its indeed an exaggeration - but still much closer to being true than anyone feels comfortable with or would like to believe.

There is only a small handful of countries in the world, whos combined success, could counteract whatever failures it experiences in one country / USA.

Warcraft is basically praying for a Pacific Rim scenario right now.
    Last edited by TyrianFC; 2016-06-12 at 12:30 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    For box office purposes, USA = World. And while that is a little of an exaggeration, its still closer to reality than anyone would like to accept.
    Well, that fact is sitting on a sinking ship honestly. For this film, like a bunch of others in the past and like even more in the future china = world.
    The US isn't that important any more

Unfortunately being number 1 in german for a week or 2 means shit all, as it would in most of the 'warcraft opened in number 1' markets that make piss all money - when we're talking about a film needing 500 million to break even. Its just good for a marketing PR bandwagon line for naive people to jump on.

No, it's really not.

The U.S. is bigger than most individual markets, but Warcraft crushed all of Europe, which is a comparable market. The movie has been a resounding success in every country it's been released in except for the U.S., and it's not even doing poorly here. It's destroying every record in China as well.

Stop with the arrogance and accept the fact that the U.S. market isn't the end-all-be-all anymore.

Not really, the whole reason why the Transformers franchise is still going strong is mainly due to China.
    "Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."

Wink

To be honest, after watching the movie for the first time I wasn't sure how I felt about it overall. As others have pointed out before, it felt a bit rushed and could have used maybe 30min more, like Captain Amercia: Civil War. Maybe it was also the lore changes that had me startled, as I expected the dramatic ending of Garona assassinating Llane in Stormwind and the city being razed to the ground at the end.

After watching it several times (3x german, 1x original) and letting it all sink in I can now say I really enjoyed it, especially after watching the original version. I nearly cried when Gul'dan sucked out the remaining life of Durotan in the end and Draka got killed by the assassin. Lothar flying in on the Horde to grab Llane's corpse and then watching his gryphon in the background shredding through the Orcs was awesome.

Chills ran down my spine at the very start when the Universal Logo showed up and the Warcraft soundtrack started playing. Then, after watching it the 3rd time, I noticed that there are faces and objects in the ice blocks of the Blizzard logo, one of them being Frostmourne! I excitedly told the person next to me (who was a stranger to me) but he didn't know what I was talking about.

My favorite actor was One Take Charlie aka the Sheep! That scene was hilarous, the whole cinema roared!

I really hope that the movie does well enough to get them sequels started. Guys, just imagine if we could get the WC3: TFT ending cinematic on the big screen! Arthas slowly ascending to the top of the throne, hearing the voices of the past. Them him shattering the Throne, picking up the the Helm of Domination, merging with the Lich King and then saying "NOW... WE ARE... ONE!" with the camera slowly backing away from the Throne.

My life would be complete if I could see this in the cinema! *goes to rewatch WC3 cinematics now*

Deleted
    China is about to become the biggest market in the world. You couldn't be as far from reality as you are.