Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    no book should be banned IMO. what sort of world do we live in that lets government choose what we can or cannot read, and what is art and what is not art.
    You can read anything on the internet so its useless anyway.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Miyagie View Post
    Mein Kampf legal now and Orwells 1984 gets banned...
    Frankly if it could make people stop using it as some kind of example of slippery slope, I'd almost be okay

Quote Originally Posted by Sama-81 View Post
    That begs the question, where would civilized people go then? Oceania? I mean that's the only continent that has even a chance on being considered more civilized than Europe, on the whole, and it's one hell of a leap to make...
    That implies civilized people exist. Europe has pretensions towards being civilized but they haven't managed to avoid catastrophe on the Continent for close to five hundred years.

Quote Originally Posted by lonely zergling View Post
    I doubt that shitty books will radicalize people.. the internet is way better for this.
    I don't know... there's certain religious texts that have been doing that pretty well for quite awhile now.

I don't see anything wrong with reading Mein Kampf as long as you read it with a critical mind. Sometimes it's good to know how "the other side" thinks. I know a few people that are reading or have read it and they are not close to being nazi or even nationalistic. They are just interested in history or politics. It's not a magical book that will make anyone reading it a nazi.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Isn't it outright banned in Germany?

Alongside Nazi memorabilia?
    Never was banned. After Hitler died Bavaria became Heir to Hitler's property. Including the right to print copies of Mein Kampf. Bavaria never printed any new copies (except for educational, documentary reasons) and went after Publishers who reprinted without permission. However recently the copyright, trademark expired and anyone can purplish it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotutha View Post
    Never was banned. After Hitler died Bavaria became Heir to Hitler's property. Including the right to print copies of Mein Kampf. Bavaria never printed any new copies (except for educational, documentary reasons) and went after Publishers who reprinted without permission. However recently the copyright, trademark expired and anyone can purplish it.
    How does that work if you don't mind me asking? Are german states allowed to hold property without the federal(?) government claiming ownership as well?

Quote Originally Posted by lonely zergling View Post
    I know that some muslims love anti jewish propaganda. No reason to bash all muslims. You are racist.
    Islam isn't a race, dingleberry.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmoredDragoon View Post
    Islam isn't a race, dingleberry.
    Why u gotta insult dingleberry?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Isn't it outright banned in Germany?

Alongside Nazi memorabilia?
    Its copyright just expired after 70 years so it's just started being published again in Germany, legally.

Banning books is always a bad idea. No matter how vile the content of it.

Mein Kampf was always available. Just not in wide circulation. You could go to certain state libraries and archives and access it, either for historical or literary studies, or just out of curiosity. Often the versions available tended to annotated by historians, not per say censored, simply given broader and historical context.

On the other hand, the German approach to the Migrant crisis indeed had widespread and serious effects across Europe.

For clarity sake, I'm not saying the refugees shouldn't be treated humanely, but it is beyond doubt that the German approach and their unwillingness to consider the greater implications this would have on the rest of Europe made the problem much worse than it needed to be.

I might buy it just to read it. Heard it's quite a slog though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    The book has been available in Sweden and many other countries (including the Internet) for decades/years.
    True, but not that simple - there was a legal battle - the Bavarian government tried to prohibit the book in Sweden (claiming their copyright on dubious grounds), but failed in court.
    As others have stated the copyright has now lapsed.

But don't expect any major revelations or great prose if you read it.

Deleted
    That's because the book has been reissued recently, that's all...

Quote Originally Posted by Undead Puppy View Post
    How does that work if you don't mind me asking? Are german states allowed to hold property without the federal(?) government claiming ownership as well?
    Yes. That is the case in most countries. Regional administrative divisions can directly own property to which the state at large has no claim to.

Think of it like this.

Your home town's City Hall is owned by the people and citizens of your town. Part of your taxes are spent on the construction and maintenance of such buildings. The national government can possibly subsidize such projects or give grants for it, but the owners are still the citizens of your town. The legal corporation representing those citizens is your local administration.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Undead Puppy View Post
    If I remember correctly. Hitler in his Will left all his property to the 3rd Reich and encase it does not exist to the German State that follows it. Not sure if I can explain how but Bavaria became the owner of Hitler's Estate in 1945.(Probably because that is were he became a Citizen, back then Germany was not so United and German Lands each still had their own passports, if I remember my History classes right.)

Sorry, I cannot explain it better, I really got no knowledge law on the matter of Wills and Estates.

Quote Originally Posted by Nadiru View Post
    That implies civilized people exist. Europe has pretensions towards being civilized but they haven't managed to avoid catastrophe on the Continent for close to five hundred years.

Well, if civilized people doesn't exist, it would hardly be a problem if Europe, or anywhere else for that matter, wasn't a place suiting the non-existing civilized in the first place...now would it? Rather seems to me that the complete lack of such places would be the logical outcome in such a scenario.

I read that book. It's pure gibberish.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    I read that book. It's pure gibberish.
    It was pretty much written to be a propaganda piece at the time, it's important to remember that.

Still, it's a somewhat interesting read for historical context on nazi germany and WW2 when annotated by historians, but that's all it is if taken at face value, a bunch of gibberish.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Historically, it wasn't Hitler's racism. He picked up on it himself. It was prevalent European antisemitism rampant all over the continent in the 20s. Educate yourself before trying to analyse shit like this or make bold claims about who I can or cannot call racist.
    The point is that treating minorities like victims that can do no wrong may result in what happened in the past.
    All we need to prevent that is to acknowledge roasting them just like we roast everybody else who doesnt spam "racism" like it's Swifty's One Shot Macro.
    You dont see Hindus, Asians, Mongols etc making a fuss about racism. Why should blacks and muslims get a free pass?