Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Verge criticizes E3 for celebrating violence after shooting in Orlando.

I thought I should share this article. Because it absolutely astounds me how the writer here expects the world to stop because a tragedy happened.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/6/12/11...e-gun-violence

Mere hours after the worst shooting in the history of the United States, video game publisher Electronic Arts hosted a press conference in downtown Los Angeles. For the leadership taking the stage, it may have been any other day.

EA CEO Andrew Wilson performed a generic monologue about the growing number of gamers across the world, before introducing a series of developers, presenting their wares.

Perhaps EA executives thought it would be hypocritical to comment on a real-life shooting before promoting a first-person shooter. The early portion of the event focused on Titanfall 2, a sci-fi action game in which giant machines and realistic humans kill each other with hyper-detailed guns. Co-founder of developer of Respawn Vince Zampella cued a montage of multiplayer gameplay, and the crowd at the Novo theater erupted into cheers. More than 400,000 people were watching online.
    They criticize them for not saying something about the shooting. Then they go on to say that if they did say something it would have been hypocritical to offer condolences for the victims' families before showing a montage of violence? The doublethink is real here.

To close the event, EA showed a trailer for Battlefield 1, a visually realistic recreation of World War 1, which resulted in 17 million deaths. Tanks, planes, and dozens of soldiers with guns obliterated one another, and the audience, once again, erupted with pleasure. For that tragedy, horror is no longer horrible.
    This is this year's version of Anita Sarkeesian and Jack Thompson running around telling everyone how bad video games are again at E3. Video games are not real. They are fantasy. Even ones that are meant to depict real life events.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well they can shove it.

People have opinions.

Life goes on.

I applaud Electronic Arts.

Kudos to them.

Deleted
    If anything video games help remind us of the stark horrors of combat & war. Just look how often you die on ye average battlefield round.. If theres war ye are going to be screwed

Verge is trying to take the phrase "Stop the presses" to a new level apparently.

Verge striving ever harder to remain relevant, news at 11.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

Sigh, when will people learn that there's video games and there's reality. I don't condone murder or war everytime I play a shooter.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Saladbar View Post
    People have opinions.
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Well they can shove it.
    I like it.

@Topic: Quite silly indeed. So because something happened closer to home it's suddenly "celebrating" violence if you bring people a violent video-game?

But hey, they got my click because I wanted to read the article. What a waste of my time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    You fell for click-bait, good job.

Quote Originally Posted by Saladbar View Post
    People have opinions.
    People have opinions on other peoples on opinions.

Deleted
    If you cancel your scheduled routine the terrorists win.

Deleted
    So basically left wing SJWs in 2016 acting exactly like the right wing religious moral panic zealots from the 1990s

Colour me unsurprised (which is a shade of mauve)

Call of Duty should be criticised for celebrating war! Honestly the world has gone mad in 2016 and we haven't hit the payload yet I'm sure.. By 2020 we will have to appolagise for taking a shit because someone died on the shitter.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

I mean, it was pretty unfortunate timing.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well guess what people? Life is violent, has been for thousands of years. People kill one another over dumb shit all the time. What makes you human is whether you can differentiate between fantasy and reality. It seems hypocritical of The Verge to criticize companies for making video games that are realistic and depict events that actually took place, because that is an insult to all the men who fought for our freedom then and all the men and women who fight for it now as well. People don't understand the horrors of war unless they experience it first hand.

World War 1 was pretty long ago and cannot be undone. Does that mean no game should ever resemble it?

Also, what's a verge?

10+ Year Old Account
    That is a common human trait which I've never quite understood. When something really bad happens, somehow many people want to purposefully stop having joy and grief instead. A family member dies - and dozens people collect together and mourn the member, crying. I understand the pain from the loss, but what is the point of all that showmanship, spectacle? Why ceremonies, mourning parties? Especially since most people on these parties don't really care about the dead and are just there out of solidarity, "morning" too.

I've heard that on Taiwan it is different, and the tradition there is to celebrate the death of someone special for you: you are celebrating them moving to a "higher world". So, they make cheerful parties, sometimes even inviting professional entertainers. This approach is closer to mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    So basically left wing SJWs in 2016 acting exactly like the right wing religious moral panic zealots from the 1990s

Colour me unsurprised (which is a shade of mauve)
    I think your replay button got jammed, buddy. You post the same stuff in every thread, regardless of the topic.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

so if i hit my toe against the bed, people have to make a big fuss about it?

ffs, life goes on.... while the typical sheep wants to convey feeling of sorrow for people they dont know and will forget in less than a day, business is business... we want to make money... ruining an entire presentation for something that happened who knows how far or long ago is pointless...

fine they are dead, fine it sucks, thats business, we dont care about it unless we can make money from it

10+ Year Old Account
    Tasteless journalism

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Shitty news source make shitty article cause they want to bash on someone

This just in. My ass had to show up to work today. I am an asshole homophobe cause I didn't stop my life after this mornings events. Fuck me right?

- Verge