Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by RedGamer030 View Post
    Again, "Occasionally, clouds of fractured Light gathered and gave shape to beings of far greater power, of far greater potential. Among these were the naaru, benevolent creatures composed of scintillating holy energies."

Nowhere do I see "Elune created the first of the naaru," nor did I even see Elune ever mentioned in the Chronicle. The naaru were created from shards of Light that coalesced. The Light created the naaru, not Elune.

If you want a theory to cling onto, then think that Elune is a naaru (perhaps named E'lun or E'lune as per naaru names go) or Elune is the Elven name for the Light. The Priestesses of Elune are skilled in using the Light, and they pray to Elune. Either Elune is the Light or Elune is a naaru that helps the priestesses.
    Err what? I have the chronicle. You don't need to keep referencing it. I am talking about the tome Khadgar read.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildmoon View Post
    Err what? I have the chronicle. You don't need to keep referencing it. I am talking about the tome Khadgar read.
    That tome only theorizes that Elune created the naaru whereas the Chronicle definitely states the naaru were created from combined shards of Light. Not sure why it is so hard to understand...

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    More importantly the tome is just that, a tome. I could write a book about how gravity is caused by the farts of invisible kittens, it would not make it true. Khadgar just thought that since we had the Tears on hand, why not try them.
    Exactly, that too.

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    Elune created Xe'ra, not all the Naaru.
    But Xe'ra is the first Naaru...

She clearly has the copyright.

More importantly the tome is just that, a tome. I could write a book about how gravity is caused by the farts of invisible kittens, it would not make it true. Khadgar just thought that since we had the Tears on hand, why not try them.
    But unless we're told otherwise, we should assume both are true. Khadgar eludes* to Elune creating *all* celestial bodies. She is the Goddess of planets, and the Naaru are like itty bitty baby planets.

*pun unintended.

10+ Year Old Account
    Atop the Golden Throne, wondering how it was easier to get up than back down.
    I'll just go out on a limb and assume all spoilers are fair game since the title is kind of a big one.

No, we don't have proof that Khadgar's claim is 100% true, but think of it this way:

Blizzard sets up this piece, with Khadgar theorizing Elune is responsible for the line of X'era's creation, if not all Naaru.
    Then later down the line, they confirm Elune has nothing to do with the Naaru, Khadgar was completely in the wrong, and the reason why it worked was something completely unrelated (someone mentioned a core from another Naaru, why not). Is that good storytelling? No, because then we question why the hell they even hyped that connection in the first place.

What we do know about the Tears of Elune, is that they're one of the Pillars of Creation, and the Pillars were left behind by the Titans. Keep the timeline in mind: The Titans fight the Old Gods and kill Y'Shaarj, creating the Well of Eternity. Somewhere in the mess, they leave an item they called the Tears of Elune behind before departing. ("Well the Night Elves could have just renamed them!" And literally none of the other artifacts were renamed in the millennia since? The Chronicle gives no indication they simply found one, explicitly using plural nouns.)
    The Night Elves evolve from Dark Trolls living near the Well of Eternity over thousands of years. Once they become Night Elves, they start talking about Elune. At an unknown point between, Cenarius is birthed by Elune, giving him a half Elven appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by Palisis View Post
    I've never heard of this Elune is the world soul theory, but it wouldn't make sense to me. Elune is associated with the moon, which is an extra-planetary body.
    The theory's been going around, but I wouldn't say it's true.

For starters, one of the opening Legion quests has you go to Ulduar to encounter the crystallized Magni, who now speaks for the unborn world-soul of Azeroth. While he does refer to Azeroth as a "she", he also refers to her as "Azeroth" - no mentions like "We would know her as the goddess Elune" or anything. (Further, see above.)

Again, "Occasionally, clouds of fractured Light gathered and gave shape to beings of far greater power, of far greater potential. Among these were the naaru, benevolent creatures composed of scintillating holy energies."

Nowhere do I see "Elune created the first of the naaru," nor did I even see Elune ever mentioned in the Chronicle. The naaru were created from shards of Light that coalesced. The Light created the naaru, not Elune.

If you want a theory to cling onto, then think that Elune is a naaru (perhaps named E'lun or E'lune as per naaru names go) or Elune is the Elven name for the Light. The Priestesses of Elune are skilled in using the Light, and they pray to Elune. Either Elune is the Light or Elune is a naaru that helps the priestesses.
    Actually you'll notice, the Priestesses of Elune appear to use an Arcane power, similar to the Druidic control of Arcane magic. Moonfire and Starfall are abilities closely associated with Tyrande.

According to the Chronicle, the Arcane is associated with the Titans. (All of the Arcane power on Azeroth is drawn from the Titan living within it.)

And we would agree with that assessment... if it hadn't worked, meaning he was onto something.
    Last edited by Leviatharan; 2016-06-14 at 09:24 PM.
    Leviatharan - Level 120 Blood Elf Unholy Death Knight - Inscription/Herbalism - <Conflux> - Drak'Tharon US

Now author of Morbid Musings, a blog dedicated to DK theorycraft. Ish.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wouldn't it be a trademark?
    It would be a copyright or a patent depending on how you view the naaru.

Trademark is for an identifying brand (like a logo).

10+ Year Old Account
    Atop the Golden Throne, wondering how it was easier to get up than back down.
    We are still speculating and I am annoyed when people canonize speculations that fit with their head canon.
    Is it still mere headcanon if there is an explicit statement backing the theory in-universe?

Khadgar says "This is a thing that I think is true. Go out and test it. Oh hey it worked, I suppose I was right."
    That's supposed to be any less canon, and equally as arguable as unbacked theories, just because there's room for skepticism?

(Reminder, I'm just saying it's entirely likely that Elune created the Naaru. After all, Velen said Elune's miracles resembled those of the Naaru. This is not to say what the nature of Elune really is, because Blizzard clearly wants to keep that under wraps for a while longer.)
    Last edited by Leviatharan; 2016-06-14 at 09:36 PM.
    Leviatharan - Level 120 Blood Elf Unholy Death Knight - Inscription/Herbalism - <Conflux> - Drak'Tharon US

Now author of Morbid Musings, a blog dedicated to DK theorycraft. Ish.

Quote Originally Posted by Ersula View Post
    But Xe'ra is the first Naaru...

She clearly has the copyright.
    A'dal is officialy <Made in PRC>.

Quote Originally Posted by Leviatharan View Post
    Actually you'll notice, the Priestesses of Elune appear to use an Arcane power,
    Priestesses use Holy magic, which comes from the Light - hence the term PRIESTESS.
    Druids use Nature magic, which comes from Life.

Next time, take a look at the planes map detailed in the Chronicle.

7+ Year Old Account
    Priestesses use Holy magic, which comes from the Light - hence the term PRIESTESS.
    Druids use Nature magic, which comes from Life.
    It's more complicated than that with the night elves, the ones who actually worship Elune. "Priestesses of the Moon", which is what Tyrande is, actually use Arcane spells -- Moonfire and Starfall in her case, along with Searing Arrow (not sure what school that one is in). Those are her offensive spells anyway; you can check that in both lore and in game mechanics. I'm sure in lore she and other priestesses of her class use holy magic as well for healing -- I'm just saying that there's far more to it than what's on that chart.

Edit: it's funny because they expelled the Highborne for using arcane magic while continuing to use it themselves -- they seem to not understand that their own "moon magic" is indeed arcane, I guess.
    Last edited by Enthralled; 2016-06-15 at 01:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Leviatharan View Post
    Actually you'll notice, the Priestesses of Elune appear to use an Arcane power, similar to the Druidic control of Arcane magic. Moonfire and Starfall are abilities closely associated with Tyrande.
    This is wrong. Priestesses of Elune's control of Holy & Shadow magic isn't any different from the Silver Hand, especially when the Paladin Campaign in legion features the Priestess of Elune, Delas Moonfang, becoming a paladin after fashioning a suit of armor & sword from meteorites.

Yes, that actually happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Enthralled View Post
    It's more complicated than that with the night elves, the ones who actually worship Elune. "Priestesses of the Moon", which is what Tyrande is, actually use Arcane spells -- Moonfire and Starfall in her case, along with Searing Arrow (not sure what school that one is in). Those are her offensive spells anyway; you can check that in both lore and in game mechanics.
    Warcraft's characters get a little crazy a times with some of them being able to multi-class (Thrall is part Warrior and part Shaman, until Legion that is). However the priestesses themselves only use Holy magic.

Correction -- the night elves associate her with the moon. The night elves are a nocturnal race (as were their ancestors, the dark trolls). The exact origins of their association with Elune and the moon are unknown. Elune herself has other associations, which are just coming to light. She apparently has some connection to the Titans, which is where the world-soul theory comes from. And she also has strong connections to the Light and to the Naaru.

In short, we don't know what the hell she is.
    Dark Trolls then Night Elves are nocturnal races workshiping Elune as the Moon goddess.
    Why the moon? Because its reflection of Sun's Light.
    Taurens who is a nomad race used to travel during day and workship An'she as the Sun goddess.
    It's all about light guiding civilizations.
    Elune is Light.
    Light made the Naaru

7+ Year Old Account
    Warcraft's characters get a little crazy a times with some of them being able to multi-class (Thrall is part Warrior and part Shaman, until Legion that is). However the priestesses themselves only use Holy magic.
    No... there are NPCs with the title Priestess of the Moon or Moon Priestess in WoW. It isn't just Tyrande; this is an actual lore thing. See http://wow.gamepedia.com/Priestess_of_the_Moon for more info.

No... there are NPCs with the title Priestess of the Moon or Moon Priestess in WoW.
    Yet no example of them using Arcane magic. Thanks for the useless post.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Warcraft Chronicles > character's knowledge in-game

Keep in mind that a lot of the knowledge Khadgar and the other characters get a hold of stems from the lies that Loken created. We have no idea how much truth was left in the ancient historical archives that ancient citizens of Azeroth got their knowledge from. Not only that we have to factor in the Old Gods trying to change knowledge to keep their schemes hidden.

7+ Year Old Account
    Yet no example of them using Arcane magic. Thanks for the useless post.
    It is a class in the lore, that is the point. They are night elves who worship Elune and use those arcane spells. They did so in W3. They are unlike the other racial priests who only wield the Light.

It is a class in the lore, that is the point. They are night elves who worship Elune and use those arcane spells. They did so in W3. They are unlike the other racial priests who only wield the Light.
    Saying they were in Warcraft III only belittles your argument as at that time Blizzard did not have the bigger picture for the lore of the game.

7+ Year Old Account
    Saying they were in Warcraft III only belittles your argument as at that time Blizzard did not have the bigger picture for the lore of the game.
    Well if you're going down that path, we might as well close down the entire Lore forum, as Blizzard has done nothing but make constant changes to the lore of this universe since they started.

But even with that, moon priestesses using arcane magic as offensive spells has never changed. It's been a constant. Accept it. Learn from it. Grow. Move on with your life.