Lothar's was the only good performance among the main characters.
    Kadghar was a step removed from being that fat kid pretend-fighting with a broom, Medivh was high the whole time, Garona's actress wasn't even trying, and King Lane was... n't. He wasn't imposing, he wasn't important.

The so-so CG I could overlook, but the acting was so freakin bad that I have no reason to overlook the CG. The spells were power-rangers fare, the environment seemed to be constantly missing some post-processing to look mildly realistic, and gul'dan just looked like a cartoon sometimes.

And even the physical props were crap. Did you see that shitty ring the king gives lothar when he goes to meet medivh? Who ok'd that crap, it looked like a plastic toy straight out of China.

The movie is a hit all over Europe and may be the most successful movie ever in China...

what a flop

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by nacixems View Post
    I place little to zero faith in professional review's on movies. many that i have seen and loved, have done amazing in the box office, but the reviews where awful, most professional reviewers dont go to the movie to watch a move, they go to break it apart and be a critic.
    Thats the job of a critic - not to be a blind white knighted blizzard follower...
    the WOW movie will appeal only to the WoW base
    proof is the market over sea's has seemed to loved the movie, yet most of the reviews (many from folks that have not seen the movie, just reworded anothers review) hated it and said it was awful.
    Thats because as a movie is fucking terrible. Sure it brought Azeroth nicely to the big screen but that doesnt make it a good movie.

stop taking the word of others as fact, yet take it as one. make up your own mind.
    that also counts for oppinions of blizzards fan boys who would even think of a bag of poo to be awsome just because theres Blizzard written on the bag....

Quote Originally Posted by manboiler View Post
    The movie is a hit all over Europe and may be the most successful movie ever in China...

what a flop
    And yet, it's looking like Legendary/Universal won't make their money back if the 500 million number reported by Deadline Hollywood is true.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustardisbad View Post
    I saw the movie yesterday and I looooved it. The only real problem I had was that it was a little hard to hear what they were saying sometimes. All the visuals effects and fight scenes were awesome. I hope, if they make another one, that it is similar to the book about thrall - Lord of The Clans.
    Yeah if Warcraft the movie franchise took off then another about Thrall based on LotC would be amazing and I think would connect with people a lot more than this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsugunai View Post
    Right now, sitting at a disastrous score in RT. It begs the question to what Blizzard was thinking with this shit again.

What was the point?
    Fact is the movie is very successful and viewers are scoring it very high regardless of what some asshat critics are saying about it (to you on the other hand, that matters alot apparently). I saw it on imax 3d and loved every minute of it. You need to go see it instead of spouting nonsense.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Renedric View Post
    Fact is the movie is very successful and viewers are scoring it very high regardless of what some asshat critics are saying about it (to you on the other hand, that matters alot apparently). I saw it on imax 3d and loved every minute of it. You need to go see it instead of spouting nonsense.
    I gotta say reviewers usually know what they're doing. At least the professional ones do. I mean the films you see rated extremely high are pretty much always masterpieces and beloved by the masses too. Whereas if a reviewer tells me that Tyler Perrys newest movie is fucking garbage then I'll take their word for it because it most likely is.

Granted video game movies are never rated highly by critics which has to give them a bias going in which isn't going to help. Also there's a difference with common viewers and critics ratings. Viewers will quite often give the movie a 1 if they hate it or a 10 if they like it. That's a bullshit number that skews the viewer rating system. Just because you like a movie doesn't mean it's a ten and just because you hate it doesn't mean it's a 1.

Quote Originally Posted by merex760 View Post
    And yet, it's looking like Legendary/Universal won't make their money back if the 500 million number reported by Deadline Hollywood is true.
    well it just came out and it is at $300.000.000+

Quote Originally Posted by manboiler View Post
    well it just came out and it is at $300.000.000+
    And movies don't only make their money at the box office either anyway... there's dvd sales, licensing for TV channels etc too.

Just got through seeing it. The absolute best parts of the move was seeing Dalaran, Stormwind and briefly Iron Forge. It looked and appeared very faithful to World Of Warcraft which was pretty cool. Coolest character is easily Gul'dan. Basically the Grim Reaper incarnate.

The worst part of the movie was Garona. The was just something about her that just didn't fit. All the orcs were CG with all kinds of detail especially their tusks and teeth while she was just plain. Her acting also not the best. There were also some scenes especially the last scene with the King and Garona that you could tell was just a CG background.

That being said overall enjoyed the movie. I felt that as a player of WoW I got a lot more out of it than someone unfamiliar with the world. Knowing the world you could fill in a lot of gaps so I can see why this movie would have had a poor reception.

As for being a failure. That remains to be seen. Over in China the movie is doing very well probably to the point of viability.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakushisai View Post
    The CGI in this movie was top quality lol, if you think it was bad, you obviously don't know what you are talking about.
    I understand that the studio that handled the CGI said that it was groundbreaking, I get that. But if you can _honestly_ look at Blackhand's armor for example, which gets a significant amount of screen time, and tell me that while he's in motion that isn't some of the worst CGI you've ever seen I'll go with you to pick out frames for eye glasses. If you're just basing the CGI being "top quality" on the trailers, yeah it looks okay in the trailers.

Durotan's tusk armband things look hilariously bad also.

I see a lot of potential. Things need to be ironed out, for sure, but I feel like a second film could be much better since things are now established and we have some proper criticisms going around.

Whether it happens or not, we'll see, but I'd rather hope for more than settle for nothing.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

Maybe it's great, but it doesn't have, how to say... replay value. I tried to watch new SW by the second time, after 10 minutes in movie I wanted to watch episode IV, V and VI... Again, for the 5+ time... Warcraft won't even get another 10 minutes.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RoKPaNda View Post
    I understand that the studio that handled the CGI said that it was groundbreaking, I get that. But if you can _honestly_ look at Blackhand's armor for example, which gets a significant amount of screen time, and tell me that while he's in motion that isn't some of the worst CGI you've ever seen I'll go with you to pick out frames for eye glasses. If you're just basing the CGI being "top quality" on the trailers, yeah it looks okay in the trailers.

Durotan's tusk armband things look hilariously bad also.
    Yes there are a few things that look bad, and that's in every CGI movie, I can point hundreds of things like that in any movie with CGI since the 80's. That's how it is, there's always going to be things that are just not properly rendered or not paid enough attention to. But the majority of viewers don't look at those things.

Quote Originally Posted by merex760 View Post
    I don't see how that number could be accurate. The budget for the movie itself was 160 million. They would have had to have spent over double that in marketing in order for that 500 million to be true.

Quote Originally Posted by Sicari View Post
    I don't see how that number could be accurate. The budget for the movie itself was 160 million. They would have had to have spent over double that in marketing in order for that 500 million to be true.
    Once again, only about half the box office flows back to the studio.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Quote Originally Posted by Tsugunai View Post
    Right now, sitting at a disastrous score in RT. It begs the question to what Blizzard was thinking with this shit again.

What was the point?
    Pssst....but now its made over $300 million globally and its weekend opening US it was ranked #2.......

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Once again, only about half the box office flows back to the studio.
    Perhaps i misunderstood the context. I thought the Deadline Hollywood numbers were about the Studio putting $500 million into the movie itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Revik View Post
    Just got through seeing it. The absolute best parts of the move was seeing Dalaran, Stormwind and briefly Iron Forge. It looked and appeared very faithful to World Of Warcraft which was pretty cool. Coolest character is easily Gul'dan. Basically the Grim Reaper incarnate.

The worst part of the movie was Garona. The was just something about her that just didn't fit. All the orcs were CG with all kinds of detail especially their tusks and teeth while she was just plain. Her acting also not the best. There were also some scenes especially the last scene with the King and Garona that you could tell was just a CG background.

That being said overall enjoyed the movie. I felt that as a player of WoW I got a lot more out of it than someone unfamiliar with the world. Knowing the world you could fill in a lot of gaps so I can see why this movie would have had a poor reception.

As for being a failure. That remains to be seen. Over in China the movie is doing very well probably to the point of viability.
    In China it broke two records i believe -- opening weekend and I think the other was like highest pre-sales or something like that. So its doing "gang busters" as some older folks would say , as far as China goes.

But to your point about Garona -- I thought , and I feel a little silly admiting this, but I thought she was too attractive/sexy and too human looking to be Garona. Isn't the real lore that she's supposed to be Half Orc/Half Draenai but she "thinks" she's Half human?

Granted it didn't bother me a huge amount but I found it a little annoying and well -- weird.