Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Though the grossly sweeping overgeneralisations in this thread make me cringe, it's not impossible that overweight people come from family backgrounds that lacked a culture of home cooking, as that often goes hand in hand with education and health awareness. I'd also say, however, that that is not as clear-cut in times of both parents working and increasing numbers of "non-conventional" families. Portion sizes, metabolism, and lifestyle matter a lot, as does the background of the people you're dating. All the women I know know how to cook; after all, reading is not hard if you come from a background where home-cooking was normal.

i must admit, i didnt read that word as "cook" and came here in hopes of some top notch Futanari t.l.c.

alas......

Well yeh, if they could cook proper food they probably wouldn't be fat.

Deleted
    All those that quoted me and responded, I am shocked to hear that actually. I am from Northern Ireland, and fast food here is more expensive than cooking. A chip and burger would cost me like £6, when I could cook that at home for half the price.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tankbug View Post
    I think that people who love food know how to cook in general. At least here, maybe it's different in other countries.
    I don't really have any experience with girls that can't cook for shit. The only people I know that can't cook much are young, single guys.
    To be fair, my fiancée taught me to cook. So I can see this as true. Having "mummy" cook for me, made me take that for grantited. Still hate cooking on a BBQ though :-P

More on topic, I can see this being true. I have seen a few times people not knowing how to cook cause their parents cooked while they did nothing. They moved out, and the weight they packed on was unbelievable!!

I dated a fairly chubby slam piggy for a few weeks.
    She did me steak and chips for dinner when I was round hers.

She George Foreman'd the steak to a crisp and under cooked the chips.

I was instantly turned off. I bailed the following morning. Never spoke to her again.

I think that people who love food know how to cook in general. At least here, maybe it's different in other countries.
    I don't really have any experience with girls that can't cook for shit. The only people I know that can't cook much are young, single guys.
    My mom makes chicken parmesan in the microwave...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelinrah View Post
    That's potentially unsafe, if she's cooking for a family and depending on the cut 15+ mins might be needed to get the internal temperature of the chicken high enough

Also, ew

Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    That's potentially unsafe, if she's cooking for a family and depending on the cut 15+ mins might be needed to get the internal temperature of the chicken high enough

Also, ew
    It's like trying to eat a brick. But she's my mom so I can't exactly say bad things about it to her. At least now that I'm out of the house I don't have to endure it often.

That's the first time I've ever heard anyone using the microwave for anything but reheating or thawing things
    Mother pus bucket!

Deleted
    your "mom" sounds like a right POS

Deep friend cheesecake.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

I find most people my age or younger, regardless of weight or sex can't cook. In relationships I am the one usually doing the cooking. Cooking is so damn easy, if you can measure and follow directions anyone can cook and yet so many people can't

7+ Year Old Account
    Anecdotally in my world I find that your size has no bearing on whether you can cook or not, but whether your parents cooked/taught you. Those that grew up in families that cooked often, cook themselves. I know fat and skinny people that can cook, and fat and skinny people who can't cook.

I grew up in a family that did not cook, but I taught myself how to follow directions so I do alright.
    Mafia History

Mafia 2/2 | Town 6/9 | SK/Cult 1/2

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tithian View Post
    Cooking a healthy and decent meal is more expensive than buying cheap fast food or frozen pizzas from the supermarket and such. It seems counter-intuitive, but the poorer you are the more chances you have to gain weight. The only people that are poor and thin are those that are literally starving (i.e. homeless people).
    I don't know how this myth got started, a lot of veggies and fruits are extremely cheap and filling. Sure some premium varieties will cost a lot, but a lot are cheap especially if you shop in season. I make entire meals out of grapes and strawberries in season, which are even cheaper than potato chips and fast food by the bag.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Most fat women I've met can cook and bake super delicious and equally unhealthy food, and their portion size is usually not too modest either. I know a lot of young men of all sizes and skinny young women who can't cook tho. In my experience lots of skinny young women skip meals and replace them with easy snacks; this works fine for a while, and then they start a major weight gain somewhere between 25-30, when the meal skipping becomes rarer and rarer and the snacks start adding up. They are also the people who end up wondering how they can be fat since they never eat The young men again tend to find a spouse and copy from them, or take an interest in late 20s when they start gaining weight; they tend to have a better understanding of their bad eating habits and either choose to change them or just accept it. Women seem to know how to eat right, but just can't connect that to their life, and often do unconsious snacking, which really adds up. This is often true with the girl that's drinking 650kcal / 35 grams of sugar Starbucks drink, but can't understand why she's fat since she only eats an apple for lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by tithian View Post
    Cooking a healthy and decent meal is more expensive than buying cheap fast food or frozen pizzas from the supermarket and such. It seems counter-intuitive, but the poorer you are the more chances you have to gain weight. The only people that are poor and thin are those that are literally starving (i.e. homeless people).
    since 2008 fast food prices have jumped substantially. Your dollar menu items shrunk, I don't know about a place like NYC but where I live, it's a lot cheaper to eat healthy at home than eat out. But at the same time it's a lot cheaper to eat unhealthy at home than to eat healthy. I could grab a jar of mayo, 1lb of bologna, and some white bread for $7 and eat lunch on it all week, but that would be some terrible nutrition.

10+ Year Old Account
    Cost is a strange one.

Home cooking, technically per-meal can be cheaper; but, there's an initial lump of up-front costs you need to overcome before starting. First of course is the pots, pans, baking trays, decent cutlery, scales etc. Which individually aren't horrendous but quickly add up and they're not things you can really stagger out as purchases for the basics.

Next there's the piles of stuff you'll use 'a pinch' or 'a teaspoon' of to fill your cupboards. You have no choice but to buy them in some degree of relative bulk, which while filling your spice rack could last months; filling it all at once is a big outlay - you can stagger this probably better than you can your hardware, but you will still have a bit of a hill to get over. This is especially a big deal if you're alone and you have to go for frozen stuff, so it's not just herbs and spices, but veg and meat too, because you won't get through fresh fast enough. Then storage can be a thing.

Then there's a learning curve, your first attempts will be mediocre at best. They might be terrible, you will probably waste things. This also costs money. And then, once you're past all that and if you actually want to do the job properly with decent ingredients; then it quickly becomes a very expensive hobby.

This is why people tend not to do it; those initial 'investments' don't have an immediate or tangible return.

I learned to cook with mum in the kitchen as a child, but that sheer costs of starting out as an adult was a deal breaker for a very long time. But, I do it now, I feel like the stuff I make myself is better than the pre-made stuff I was getting from the supermarket and once you have all that stuff in; the weekly shopping bill does come down.

Deleted
    Young single guys AND girls are usually terrible chefs in any modern western country unless they have a real interest in learning how to cook, which few do these days :P

From all the ladies I've dated only my current GF is a decent cook, and she studied for it and has the interest for it.

Regardless to the topic at hand, no, people who are very overweight usually don't know how to cook as they usually get alot of prefabs or fastfood, it's pretty much required that they do in order to reach that weight.

It's very hard to go past chubby without saturated fats and sugar added to everything in your meal.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kaira View Post
    Also as someone else mentioned a lack of eating enough can cause you to lamp weight on it had that issue when I was younger between work and looking after kids finding time for a balanced meal for yourself is hard.
    Nope, just nope. Less calories = less weight.

If you eat absolutely NOTHING for 72+ hours, there is a RISK of your metabolism slowing down. Otherwise, nothing but bullshit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The BANNzoman View Post
    You can't afford fast food forever.

Sooner or later you gotta learn how to cook at least meat.
    i used to think this until i started eating out to prove a point that my roommate does nothing but make a fucking mess in this house.

now that the point has been made, i don't even spend time at home, and i eat out every day or buy something that can be prepared in less than a minute. huge waste of money but if you can't even cook in your own house and get decent hours at your job it's like fuck it man. you don't even care whether or not you can afford it.

sometimes i go visit my mom just to eat! LOL

Show me a fat, 50-year-old Hispanic woman, and I will show you someone who can cook.

Damn, now I want some carnitas.