Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Respec cost -- again?

In beta, we initially had a progressive gold cost to respec. Then it was removed, replaced by a more rigid talent swapping system, which was then made more flexible with some Inscription consumables.

However, from the last PTR notes (Patch 7.0.3 PTR - Build 21935), we get a respec cost again...

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/201...otes-6-14-2016

Specialization System Changes

• Characters can now change between any of their specializations at most any time for a progressive gold cost. Action bar configurations are saved for each specialization. As a result, Dual Specialization has been removed.
    • Characters can queue up as any role that is available to their class and will automatically switch to the suitable specialization when entering the Dungeon, Raid, Battleground, or Arena without any gold cost. For example, a paladin might be questing as Retribution but queue up in Dungeon Finder as a Tank. When the paladin enters the dungeon, they will automatically switch to Protection.
    (Patch notes were updated but this is still there)

What's going on? I'm confused...

EDIT: I do understand how this system works -- I simply don't understand why this system was put back in place after it was removed.

UPDATE: I've just logged in the PTR and I respecced several times with no cost at all. I wonder if these patch notes are up-to-date.
    Last edited by mmoc24bf4b24e6; 2016-06-15 at 10:45 PM.

dual-spec is gone BUT you can swap to ANY of your specs at any given time (no town/incription needed) for a progressive gold cost (more or less like dual-spec with gold cost and all specs available).

talent swaps within a spec still need a town/inscription item (sadly...).

if you enter a dungeon you can talent swap for a short amount of time for FREE (no town/inscription needed).
    and you automatically swap into the spec you choose the role for when signing up for a dungeon

15+ Year Old Account
    Do we know the price for spec change?

What if I am DPS while queued up, change my spec to tank for free when I enter, and then leave dungeon - will I have my DPS spec again, or will I have to pay for spec change?

15+ Year Old Account
    The patch notes that were posted first (and taken down ASAP) were simply not updated, the updated ones say:

Players may now change talents freely when in any rested XP area. The Inscription profession can craft consumable items that allow for this to be done in the field. In addition, after queuing into an instanced dungeon, raid, or PvP content, players have a grace period during which they may change talents freely.

I am a Mage.
    Avatar shamelessly stolen from Deviant Art, all credit to the author
    Phailah|Forged|Drak'thul EU

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Karah View Post
    The patch notes that were posted first (and taken down ASAP) were simply not updated, the updated ones say:

Players may now change talents freely when in any rested XP area. The Inscription profession can craft consumable items that allow for this to be done in the field. In addition, after queuing into an instanced dungeon, raid, or PvP content, players have a grace period during which they may change talents freely.
    This is talking about talents, not respec. The spec cost is still the the patch notes (at the moment, at least).

Quote Originally Posted by Phurox View Post

What if I am DPS while queued up, change my spec to tank for free when I enter, and then leave dungeon - will I have my DPS spec again, or will I have to pay for spec change?
    you get an instant change upon entering the dungeon, this works for LFG and LFR, ones there you get ported. I do not think this works for mythic+ and normal raiding and above

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Phurox View Post

It was capped at ~70g in beta when this system was there, but it was subject to change, and it was scrapped before it was tuned.

When you exit a queued instance you get your previous spec back for free. For non-LFR raids and mythic(+) instances, where there is no queue, you have to pay.

Deleted
    When it is in testing phase (alpha, beta, ptr) stuff can still change. Nothing will be solid before release, and from there on it will only be minor tweaks. We still got 2,5 months to Legion, so be prepared for changes

I'd rather have to spend something to change specs than to change talents. I change talents so much more than I change specs.

I think this is just for the pre-patch itself since the regent you need for change spec won't be aviable in wod.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelinrah View Post
    I'd rather have to spend something to change specs than to change talents. I change talents so much more than I change specs.
    Yeah, most would probably prefer this but Blizzard just isn't listening when it comes to this matter.

or how about just keep current f... system without any retarded new iterations - if its working now wtf even change it in first place

This sooo very much the new rest zone requirement on beta is the worst since the trees in legion arent like wod at all. In wod all talents in a row are variants of the same thing, so all single target or aoe. In legion each row for the most part has an aoe spell a single target spell and a passive. So you literally can only do single target or aoe without changing talents. The craziest part of it is that its easier to go from a melee hunter to a ranged spec easier than toggle between 2 talents.

Deleted
    As a healer, I strongly disagree with this. I have to change spec very frequently.

Also, everyone has to change talents here and there, making the cost roughly the same for everyone. Instead, healers and tanks are the only ones to pay the respec costs on a regular basis -- surely much more than DPSs. So, why should one pay a penalty for choosing non-DPS as a main spec? I think this is quite unfair.

Queues are also made shorter by having more healers/tanks -- and the free respec you get by queueing does not help much to achieve this. We will only get more main-spec DPSs queueing as healers/tanks to make the queue shorter without having the gear nor the experience. Main-spec healers/tanks are prodded to change the main spec to DPS by this system.

Also, in mythic(+) dungeons only two players will have to pay a respec cost. Making tanks to pay so that they can join mythic+ groups feels rather weird.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    They should honestly make it cost something out in the world, but make it free in rested areas. Easy way out for everyone
    Sylvaeres-Azkial-Pailerth @Proudmoore

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Azkial View Post
    They should honestly make it cost something out in the world, but make it free in rested areas. Easy way out for everyone
    I could live with that. Maybe, make it free near every dungeon/raid entrance. Or even: make it free to change from primary to secondary spec and back, but make third (and fourth) spec cost something.

Quote Originally Posted by Uko View Post
    This sooo very much the new rest zone requirement on beta is the worst since the trees in legion arent like wod at all. In wod all talents in a row are variants of the same thing, so all single target or aoe. In legion each row for the most part has an aoe spell a single target spell and a passive. So you literally can only do single target or aoe without changing talents. The craziest part of it is that its easier to go from a melee hunter to a ranged spec easier than toggle between 2 talents.
    This hasn't been true for at least several builds. They shifted talents around to not make the decisions so binary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaneiac View Post
    This game isn't about your friends, though. This game is about taking it seriously enough that you do the hardest content no matter what it takes (transferring, etc), lasting friendships and other elements be damned. /s

so now you have to pay gold to swap specs and then the whole inscription bullshit to swap talents?

looks like we got the worst of both worlds

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Furlong View Post
    I could live with that. Maybe, make it free near every dungeon/raid entrance. Or even: make it free to change from primary to secondary spec and back, but make third (and fourth) spec cost something.
    Could do something revolving around the summoning stone
    Sylvaeres-Azkial-Pailerth @Proudmoore

The current system just baffles me. What is the difference to blizzard if I use a tome bought from a vendor to swap talents or if I use a book made by scribes to swap specs? I feel like they ought to either just remove the cost or stick with the vendor tomes or just outright say you have to go to a trainer or safe zone to swap talents/specs, this new system just feels like a slightly less convenient variation on what we have on live.