Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Well as long as we're throwing preexisting lore out the window, GIVE ME TROLL DEMON HUNTERS. Nobody can deny that they would look absolutely amazing.

In reality, I'm fine with it staying just elves.

I think it's realistic that after Legion the Illidari will start teaching other races. There is nothing about Elf physique that makes them the only race that can be blind and use impractical weapons. And in BC we've seen that it's not something that can't be taught - there was a whole quest chain about killing Illidari masters, so they don't teach others the arts.

What I'm getting to is Dwarf Demon Hunter, because that's literally the first think I thought about when they were introduced.

7+ Year Old Account
    the devs already say they will, in the future, make new races DH, why people still are in denial with headcanon lore bias

we can just hope they do not make a party, and every other race can be too

Quote Originally Posted by Darzuj View Post
    I feel like the Draenei would be a bad pick due to their relation to fel. It would be out of character for a Draenei refugee who fled the legion for years to suddenly pick up fel magic and abandon the teachings of the Naaru as well as the light.
    While we don't encounter the Sargerei in our timeline's Outland, Socrethar and Razuun existed on Outland and are definitely former Draenei.
    But your duty to Azeroth is not yet complete. More is demanded of you... a price the living cannot pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotted View Post
    Lets face it,

We're at a point with nature loving taurens wielding the light, and gnomes running around with mechanical pets.

I wouldn't be shocked at any future combinations any more

If you take Draenei, because of Eredars, then see why there isn't a Draenei Warlock option. Draeneis are not Eredars.

Also, Demon Hunters are not just some guys infused with Fel and hating Demons. They're agile killers. Imagine a fat Draenei or a muscled Orc jumping around with Glaives. Nah, only those thin long-lived Elves can do that.

Quote Originally Posted by socialmaker View Post
    Does it really matter nowadays ? We have gnome HUNTERS... To be honest I play mainly horde and I'm not really into bloodelves... kind of feel myself forced into picking that race but oh well what can you do ? Would have really liked it if they gave us at least 2 races per faction.
    I'd have preferred if DH's were faction neutral to begin with and you can choose your faction. So Night Elf DH for horde and Blood Elf DH for alliance would be possible. Sadly, that isn't the case.

Deleted
    I'm glad that Elves are the only races that can be Demon Hunters right now. However, I do like the lore made for them in the RPG. It goes without saying that everything in the RP is considered non-canon officially, but I like to draw from it if no other explanations are present. It has some very interesting details for Demon Hunters.

This is a Human Demon Hunter. I love the little Eredar tentacle he has going on with his chin.

The tradition of the demon hunter arises from night elf history, and almost all demon hunters are night elves. A few blood elves make the pledge as well, seeking revenge for the destruction of their home. Other races can become demon hunters, but such individuals are unheard of. Any member of another race who is willing to make the sacrifices necessary to join the fight against the demonic invaders must find a night elf or blood elf demon hunter to assist him in the initiation ceremonies.

Humans can also be demon hunters. Some of these demon hunters can be found guarding Mount Hyjal with the help of fellow night elf demon hunters. Demon hunters in other races are rare, but some exist.

To become a demon hunter, a hero must find a demon hunter who is willing to lead them through a series of complex rituals.
    After a few years in the lore, it would make perfect sense for other races to take up the path of the Demon Hunter. They could learn from the Elven ones we'll be playing in Legion. After all, this expansion will feature the biggest invasion of Azeroth by the Burning Legion since the Third War. There are going to be many, many people of all races who will be willing to make the sacrifice to push back the demons.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vakna View Post
    I might actually re-sub if they'd allow us to create and play Draenei DH's.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    the devs already say they will, in the future, make new races DH, why people still are in denial with headcanon lore bias

we can just hope they do not make a party, and every other race can be too
    Any source? tried googling without success.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigthumbb View Post
    Well as long as we're throwing preexisting lore out the window, GIVE ME TROLL DEMON HUNTERS. Nobody can deny that they would look absolutely amazing.

In reality, I'm fine with it staying just elves.
    Troll looks rather silly to begin with, so I can't really deny giving them another class.

It won't help them. They will look as stupid as demon hunters too.

If orcs become DHs, humans should too,as they're the two "default" races. And if humans become DHs, undead should too, as they're pretty much humans.

If draenei become DHs, then warlocks should stop being taboo. Both classes use the weapons of the enemy.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Based on the agile nature of the Demon Hunter, I cast my vote for Humans and Trolls. Both can already use "the weapons of the enemy" (Warlocks and Shadow Priests, if we're counting Old Gods as well as demons), and both are quite agile (Trolls probably have an edge there).

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by EnigmAddict View Post
    without changing the whole story/starting experience.
    None of the games race/class combos are true to lore anymore, this is because Blizzard (quite rightly) decided that QoL was more important than lore, DH's will be expanded to most classes in time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    None of the games race/class combos are true to lore anymore, this is because Blizzard (quite rightly) decided that QoL was more important than lore, DH's will be expanded to most classes in time.
    I don't think this is true. All lore-bound classes remain true to lore, i.e. dks, mages, druids and paladins. Lore was crafted to account for their extension. People underestimate the fact that in lore classes that are treated as homogenous in game are not so. Gnome hunters have fundamentally different ability sets from Nightelf hunters for instance, as do sunwalkers and dwarven members of the silver hand.

The way the demon hunter lore has been crafted, however, it is not designed for such extension. Illidan's judgement is the pivotal element and he accepts only elves. I think if Blizzard had wanted to, it would have been easy enough to leave loopholes, which they did not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Demon Hunters should, eventually, be open to Orcs/Draenei.

On these types of issues, I tend to side with the "But the lore!" crowd; however, we have Tauren Paladins (With a VERY shitty justification). There's no reason to butcher lore to that degree, and then pretend that lore trumps class/race availability elsewhere.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ratyrel View Post
    The way the demon hunter lore has been crafted, however, it is not designed for such extension. Illidan's judgement is the pivotal element and he accepts only elves. I think if Blizzard had wanted to, it would have been easy enough to leave loopholes, which they did not.
    Hazzikostas has already floated the idea of the Illidari, post-Legion, training non-Elves. As of beta, we already see the Illidari going from "Elf Only" to accepting Non-Elven non-Demon Hunters (Which were allied with Illidan). Non-Elven Demon Hunters aren't such a great leap.

Deleted
    In legion: Night elf & Blood elf
    Post legion, first round: Add Orcs & Draenei (Who were alread illidari)

Order of the following two would not matter (may also be in one go)
    Post legion, second round (will need a change in their starting experience): add Human and Undead (Both have a vengeance against demons)
    Post legion, third round: add Troll and Worgen (Link with elfs; their agile bodies would make for fine demon hunters - demon hunters realize this, and upon up their ranks for potential good demon hunters)

Leaves us: Dwarfs, Gnomes, Pandaran, Tauren, Goblin as remaining races - for which I find it difficult to imagine any of them (though a tauren demon hunter would be pretty bad ass)

Personally I think they're stronger for just being elves.

However, if they in the future made other races available, I'd imagine they would skip the current DH starting experience and go through whatever the future Level 1xx boost scenario is instead, and I could see Humans and Trolls as the next ones to take a bite of the pie.

Humans because, let's face it, they cray, and I could well see Human Warlocks deciding to take a step further and start binding a demon's soul inside them instead of as a minion. Draenei I don't see breaking their 25,000 year aversion to demons so easily, Dwarves and Gnomes the same... MAYBE Worgen, for the reasons I've mentioned for humans? Pandaren I don't think would see constant struggle to control a demon as being a very balanced lifestyle, but hey, I could be wrong, and Monk training probably keeps them close enough to a Demon Hunter's mobility, and they are on both factions.

Trolls, because they seem to have no problem with being warlocks, and they'd probably be able to Voodoo-up a way to trap the demons inside them without doing the whole eat-its-flesh thing- but Trolls are largely cannibals anyway so they'd probably be fine with the ritual. Orcs I don't think would want to try after the whole Blood of Mannoroth thing, Undead, again, like humans I could see it happened, Goblins don't like sharing anything let alone their body, Tauren would just be a big stretch from their culture.

So all up I'd say Trolls and Humans as the most likely, Pandaren as a possibility, though unlikely, and Forsaken/Worgen as somewhere between the two. Races beyond that would require a bit of a shake up an expansion or two earlier to justify it.
    Last edited by Soeroah; 2016-06-16 at 11:50 AM.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratyrel View Post
    I don't think this is true. All lore-bound classes remain true to lore, i.e. dks, mages, druids and paladins. Lore was crafted to account for their extension.
    No, lore was altered to account for their addition, I.E the case of Worgen/Goblin DKs. If they want to add DH races later they will find a way to alter the lore do just that, I.E Illidan isn't the only high profile DK, others could train players.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Phurox View Post
    Any source? tried googling without success.
    its a dev interview, if you go back on the pages of MMo-champion you will find

Quote Originally Posted by Soulwind View Post
    If orcs become DHs, humans should too,as they're the two "default" races.
    nor rly, humans are priests and paladins, and orcs only shaman, there are no big equality here, only of course if orcs become druids too ( who is not that hard)