Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Warcraft movie was not that succeful? money wise

Warcraft movie had $160 millions budget, and gained $308 millions, about $171 millions box office . In comparison Titanic movie from 1997 gained about $2,186,772,302 box office

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...grossing_films

I watched another Duncan Jones movie which is "Source Code" in Cinema during 2011 and liked it, it had $32 millions budget but gained $147 millions. Means money wise it was probably more succeful than Warcaft because of different box office percent, expect that Warcraft movie might help with increasing sub numbers in WOW.

And i understand not all companies doing movies for money or just for money.

I guess Blizzard/Activision makes much more money then 150m dollars, in 1year with PC games like WOW/Hearthstone/Overwatch/ even without movie but Movie might help WOW with getting slightly more subs.

I understand that if X movie gained alot of money it doesnt mean that movie was good or bad. Some money-wise succeful movies was great but some of them was bad or pretty average.

So even if movie was good (not saying it was bad), maybe still it could be much better?

(EDIT: just to make it clear Im comparing WOW to high grossing movies overvall not just Titanic, i.e. Toy Story 3 $1,063,171,911 from 2010 and Finding Nemo$ 936,743,261 from 2003

talking about Toy Story and Finding Nemo since as some ppl said Titanic is kind of movie thats that targets huge audence, and alot ppl hate animated 3rd cartoons and think that they are for kids only so those two have limited audence just like fantasy movies.)
    Last edited by Luckx; 2016-06-16 at 04:21 PM.

It definitely could have performed better in domestic box offices where it seems to be on a crash course for complete obscurity in a few weeks.

Lets assume Warcraft was break even in cost/revenue

IT WOULD STILL LEAD TO A PROFIT, even if it lost money slightly, as there are indirect revenues caused by said movie, aka more subs for wow in legion maybe, maybe someone seens the blizzard brand and buys overwatch/diablo 3. COuld be returning players come back, then there is also the DVD with most likely a directors cut as Duncan Jones i swear said 40 minutes were cut off to keep legendary happy.

so thats 1/3 of the movie length added on top of what was shown and tons and definetly 100% of the warcraft fans are going to buy it (YOU BETTER NOT PIRATE YOU BASTARDS!)
    Last edited by Arthas242; 2016-06-16 at 01:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthas242 View Post

IT WOULD STILL LEAD TO A PROFIT, even if it lost money slightly, as there are indirect revenues caused by said movie, aka more subs for wow in legion maybe, maybe someone seens the blizzard brand and buys overwatch/diablo 3. COuld be returning players come back, then there is also the DVD with most likely a directors cut as Duncan Jones i swear said 40 minutes were cut off to keep legendary happy.
    Every film has those income avenues available to them. But the tertiary effect of increased WoW subs is a benefit for Blizzard, not the company which foot the bill of the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Luckx View Post
    Warcraft movie had $160 millions budget, and gained $308 millions. In comparison Titanic movie from 1997 gained about $2,186,772,302

I watched another Duncan Jones movie which is "Source Code" in Cinema during 2011 and liked it, it had $32 millions budget but gained $147 000. Means money wise it was probably more succeful than Warcaft because of different box office percent, expect that Warcraft movie might help with increasing sub numbers in WOW.

I guess Blizzard/Activision makes much more money then 150m dollars, in 1year with PC games like WOW/Hearthstone/Overwatch/ even without movie but Movie might help WOW with getting slightly more subs.

I understand that if X movie gained alot of money it doesnt mean that movie was good or bad. Some money-wise succeful movies was great but some of them was bad or pretty average.

So even if movie was good (not saying it was bad), maybe still it could be much better?
    How does having a 32 million budget and gaining 147000 being successful? That is a downright total loss.
    It's not even one million.

On the other hand, Warcraft has made the double of it's budget.
    Last edited by Gurluas; 2016-06-16 at 04:06 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It did really well compared to many game movies.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Arthas242 View Post

so thats 1/3 of the movie length added on top of what was shown and tons and definetly 100% of the warcraft fans are going to buy it (YOU BETTER NOT PIRATE YOU BASTARDS!)
    I'd probably buy it for a physical edition because one I love blizzard even if they're asshats, and I love having physical objects/media from them.
    I level warriors, I have 48 max level warriors.

80% of the movie revenue is from China

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gurluas View Post
    How does having a 32 million budget and gaining 147000 being successful? That is a downright total less.
    It's not even one million.

On the other had, Warcraft has made the double of it's budget.
    Ohh damn, i wanted to say it was 147 millions. It was 147 millions in fact not 147000, i missed to put extra 000 in pharse

Thanks for pointing on it, guess i need to edit my post

Don't just compare it to other movies, compare it to other game adaptations into movies. By those standards the WoW movie has done exceptionally well.

Quote Originally Posted by lockybalboa View Post
    80% of the movie revenue is from China
    Okay. Can't see that is relevant.

I read somewhere that the total cost for the movie was like 500mil? Its only 160? Well shit then, its a success.

I am hoping the movie makes a little money and they roll the dice again to make a sequel. If not you cannot deny that at the very least the movie boosted the IP recognition in popular culture. Yes, Warcraft is huge in the gaming culture... but that does not translate 1 for 1 to the general public.

Deleted
    Where to even start ...

1: Its doubling its investment.. id say thats a success.
    2: You are comparing it to one of the best selling movies of all time vs a genre that has a very small audience when you look at the genre. Quite a shit move from you.
    3: You should have compared it to the same genre which is: Video games movie and then you see it did very well.
    4: You can say it could have done better about EVERY fucking movie on the planet.

I have not seen it yet, but will in the next week or 2. I am in no rush.

Quote Originally Posted by DesMephisto View Post
    I read somewhere that the total cost for the movie was like 500mil? Its only 160? Well shit then, its a success.
    Well its budget was 160 million. However films often spend as much on advertising/promotion as they do on their budget (but they don't have to publish how much they actually spend on advertising/promotion.)

Regardless, this film will likely break even or make a profit due to strong overseas box offices, which is far more successful than many game based movies in the past have performed.

Didn't they state they need 500m back to break even? (production + marketing + all the extra stuff)? So atm it looks like they did lose money.

You know, I'm sure plenty of critics shat on the movie because it was based on a video game and not a book as well.

The movie hasn't finished its theatrical run yet. Then there's home release and so on. We will only know whether it was successful or not within about 6 months. Considering the amount it already made, especially in foreign markets a sequel is basically guaranteed.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Luckx View Post
    Warcraft movie had $160 millions budget, and gained $308 millions. In comparison Titanic movie from 1997 gained about $2,186,772,302

I watched another Duncan Jones movie which is "Source Code" in Cinema during 2011 and liked it, it had $32 millions budget but gained $147 000. Means money wise it was probably more succeful than Warcaft because of different box office percent, expect that Warcraft movie might help with increasing sub numbers in WOW.

(EDIT: just to make it clear Im comparing WOW to high grossing movies overvall not just Titanic, i.e. Toy Story 3 $1,063,171,911 from 2010 and Finding Nemo$ 936,743,261 from 2003

talking about Toy Story and Finding Nemo since as some ppl said Titanic is kind of movie thats that targets huge audence, and alot ppl hate animated 3rd cartoons and think that they are for kids only so those two have limited audence just like fantasy movies.)
    You're comparing Warcraft to one of the highest grossing movies of all time. This is an invalid comparison. It's like saying everyone is stupid because Einstein existed, all baseball players are bad because Babe Ruth existed, all Basketball players are bad because Michael Jordan existed.

I'm guessing based on receipts that it will come out to an average profit, mainly due to overseas, but you're sounding like the dude on the official forums who said Warcraft was a failure due to the fact that it didn't make as much money as Star Wars.

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    The movie hasn't finished its theatrical run yet. Then there's home release and so on. We will only know whether it was successful or not within about 6 months. Considering the amount it already made, especially in foreign markets a sequel is basically guaranteed.
    We'll know whether it's successful by the time its theatrical run is over...which at this rate will likely be within a month or so. While the home DVD/Blu-ray market still exists, movies make the bulk of their profit during their time in theaters.