Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Artifacts and RP

How are you going to handle artifacts during your RP sessions with strangers? It might be weird to see 3 Scythes of Elune next to your character.

IF I buy Legion, I'll main Night Elf arcane mage. If the artifact subject comes up, I will tell a story of splitting into 3 groups lead by Evenshade / Rommath / 3rd notable mage (Although none of those 2 appear in mage order hall...) to get arcane / fire / frost artifacts and that I assisted Evenshade who is now in possesion of the arcane staff.

IMO I'd prefer Adventurers not to be the main heroes. I'd rather want artifacts to be in possesion of notable lore characters.

Deleted
    Every decent RPer won't acknowledge themselves as the one. The closest in status one could get, in my opinion, is being the second in command. I had a character like that during Warlords; she has been my main Horde RP since TBC, and she rose through the ranks. Just never became "the" Grand Commander in Draenor, and certainly will not be the "Bearer of Ashbringer" in Legion.

Bloodsail Admiral Smallfruitbat's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    To be honest, I am planning to ignore (and probably xmog in to something far more mundane) my artifact weapon. I try my best to ignore the elements of the story where we are elevated, my current main is a night elf druid (due to needing a class) who I play as a fairly competent herbalist/alchemist.

I see two viable ways to acknowledge this in public RP.

1. Simply ignore it altogether, even transmog over it if you want and RP using something else.

2. RP that you have A powerful artifact, but make it something more generic. For example you're not using Ashbringer, but simply a lesser holy sword of some sort you make up.

Similarly with order halls, I would either ignore the order hall in your RP or simply RP being an active agent in it. (I'll be doing the latter on my characters, not RPing the leader of a hall but simply having the characters taking part in it.)

You can always also just ignoring the existence of other players of your spec and consider them to be dirty peasants or something like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

Deleted
    I'm gonna say "Why do you guys have a forgery of this legendary weapon that was given to me? I'm going to kill you for your crimes against Elune."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Florena Emberlin View Post
    Similarly with order halls, I would either ignore the order hall in your RP or simply RP being an active agent in it. (I'll be doing the latter on my characters, not RPing the leader of a hall but simply having the characters taking part in it.)
    This is what I will do. This is what I also did for garrisons; my paladin was a very high ranked officer, and we referred to the character who we are supposedly in their garrison simply as "Grand Commander". We never even gave him/her a name.

Deleted
    Transmog your artifact into something anonymous / whatever , and act as it never happened. That is what my wife plan to- problem fixed.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by xzeve View Post
    Transmog your artifact into something anonymous / whatever , and act as it never happened. That is what my wife plan to- problem fixed.
    If you mean act as it never happened to you, fine.
    If you mean act as it never happened to some anonymous hero, then no.

I trust you mean the former?

I don't really rp with other people, but this might or might not be interesting: my headcanon is that different people wield different artifacts, and may or may not have a higher rank in a single class. For example, the wielder of the Ashbringer is the Highlord of the Silver Hand, but the other two artifact wielders are a step below him. Other classes, such as, say, mages, have all three as councilors on the same level.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethenil View Post
    I don't really rp with other people, but this might or might not be interesting: my headcanon is that different people wield different artifacts, and may or may not have a higher rank in a single class. For example, the wielder of the Ashbringer is the Highlord of the Silver Hand, but the other two artifact wielders are a step below him. Other classes, such as, say, mages, have all three as councilors on the same level.
    If you don't rp with other people it really doesn't matter what you RP. But IMO it's much more enjoyable rping with other people than it is just doing it by yourself, but the downside is there's a lot of game mechnics you have to bend to in order to make RP work where your character is not the one super duper awesome adventurer and everyone else is just some dude.

My dilemma is the DK artifacts. I roleplay my Night Elf DK as a reluctant DK. He certainly never wanted to be one, but died fighting the Lich King (and later returned to help defeat him).

He's come a long way since then, returning home to help save Hyjal from Ragnaros, girding himself in fiery armor to help comfort the chill in his soul... But now the Legion is invading and they want him to carry a soul-sucking weapon into combat? And what if somewhere along the way I face an honorable foe? How do I feel about using a weapon that sucks anyone's soul?

So do I find grounds to justify my character doing such a thing, or double-think/role play that the weapon doesn't work that way?

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

Quote Originally Posted by DarklingThrush View Post
    My dilemma is the DK artifacts. I roleplay my Night Elf DK as a reluctant DK. He certainly never wanted to be one, but died fighting the Lich King (and later returned to help defeat him).

He's come a long way since then, returning home to help save Hyjal from Ragnaros, girding himself in fiery armor to help comfort the chill in his soul... But now the Legion is invading and they want him to carry a soul-sucking weapon into combat? And what if somewhere along the way I face an honorable foe? How do I feel about using a weapon that sucks anyone's soul?

So do I find grounds to justify my character doing such a thing, or double-think/role play that the weapon doesn't work that way?
    I'd just transmog over it and ignore the lore of the artifact. It's really only important in the actual quest to get the artifact, after that the class order hall campaign is the same regardless of artifact chosen.

Quote Originally Posted by DarklingThrush View Post

By saying that your character does not have those weapons, which any decent roleplayer would do. Unless the way you do is just solo roleplay like you're in a single-player RPG, in which case, still transmog over them and pretend that your character doesn't have them.

Quote Originally Posted by Florena Emberlin View Post
    I'd just transmog over it and ignore the lore of the artifact. It's really only important in the actual quest to get the artifact, after that the class order hall campaign is the same regardless of artifact chosen.
    Yep ~ Certainly one of the options. I won't know for sure until I see how the quests play out and how much sense the story line makes with/without particular qualities of the weapon.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TyrannicalPuppy View Post
    By saying that your character does not have those weapons, which any decent roleplayer would do. Unless the way you do is just solo roleplay like you're in a single-player RPG, in which case, still transmog over them and pretend that your character doesn't have them.
    Yep, see above ^^^

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

I won't be using the artifacts on any of my characters. They already have interesting weapons, though obviously not on the scale of the Legendary Heroes of Azeroth.

For the guild I lead, I'm going to allow artifact appearances to RP weapons, just as long as they aren't RPed as the actual weapon of legend.
    This is easy for most weapons. There's a huge number of variants, and most of these weapons haven't been seen before.
    The main difficulties lie with Ashbringer, Doomhammer, the Scythe of Elune, and a few overwhelming-looking items that look a little out of place in RP.

-Ashbringer can be a duplicate easily enough. The Crusade is a multi-racial group, and a sword is a reasonable weapon for many people. Duplicates aren't unlikely to exist.
    -Doomhammer gets a lot trickier already, as the symbols alone mark the wielder as an orc of the Frostwolf clan. It's hard to justify being a Frostwolf Orc shaman, an axe-favoring clan, having a hammer that is made to resemble Thrall's. And that's about the only race, class and clan combination that it works for.
    -The Scythe of Elune will likely be less familiar, appearance-wise. But as a weapon tied to the Worgen curse, someone crafting another scythe with symbols in honor of the Moon Goddess just seems unlikely. Except maybe the most fanatical of Worgen druids.
    -There's a few weapons, like possibly the Scepter of Sargeras, that just look too powerful. An artifact can be hard to justify in RP if it looks too much like... an Artifact. Something that dominates the situation with its awesomeness and clear power. It may be great to feel super-powerful in PvE: The Hero of Azeroth that kills a thousand enemies single-handedly. But that's not generally what we bring into RP.

Don't plan on ignoring RPers using artifacts IC, as long as they don't claim it's the real thing of course. If that's what they do claim, not only would it be overpowered and unjustifiable, but it would also be horribly unoriginal.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Caerule View Post
    For the guild I lead, I'm going to allow artifact appearances to RP weapons, just as long as they aren't RPed as the actual weapon of legend.
    You know this is actually quite interesting.

What if -for example- my paladin, who acquires Ashbringer, used IC a weapon called the Ashweaver that appears similar but with a different skin?

Quote Originally Posted by Kalecgos the Spellweaver View Post
    You know this is actually quite interesting.

What if -for example- my paladin, who acquires Ashbringer, used IC a weapon called the Ashweaver that appears similar but with a different skin?
    Something like that could work, say that you acquired a powerful weapon so that you can incorporate the gameplay of upgrading it into your RP, but don't make it the named weapon. For example if I had my mage RP having a powerful staff taken from the Nexus vault but come short of saying it's Aluneth.

Most of the Artifacts aren't "big name" weapons like Doomhammer or Ashbringer (despite what Blizzard would like you to believe) so I doubt anyone would complain if you carried them around untransmogged. Most aren't particularly flashy either, making them little more than neat-looking generic equipment.

As for the more famous stuff, it's just as easy to handwave their appearance with an excuse like "I admire Tirion Fordring so much I had this replica sword made to resemble the Ashbringer." It's what people have been doing since the era of Thunderfury and Warglaives, so why not here?

Nothing else you can do but ignore it. The way you ignore it may include renaming it IC, completely ignoring it as a whole and just mogging it or coming up with something unique that will help you ignore it whichever way you'd like.