10+ Year Old Account

Angry London mayor takes temporary leave after affair with deputy mayor

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windso...fair-1.3635625

London, Ont. Mayor Matt Brown says he is leaving office temporarily after he confirmed he had an affair with the city's deputy mayor.

Brown said in a statement he had an "inappropriate personal relationship" with Ward 5 Coun. Maureen Cassidy, calling his behaviour a "grave error in judgement."​

Cassidy resigned as deputy mayor at an emotional council meeting on Tuesday.

Coun. Virgina Ridley said Cassidy will continue in her councillor position, but she too is taking some time off to deal with personal matters.

"She was teary when she announced she would be stepping down," Ridley said. "Because of stress on her family, she was stepping down."

Brown said the relationship, which developed "during a period of intense workload," ended some time ago.

​"I am deeply sorry for the pain that this has caused — for my wife, my family and everyone involved. I make no excuses for my behavior and my poor judgement in my personal life," he said.
    Will meet with integrity commissioner

Brown said he plans to meet with the integrity commissioner on Thursday to discuss whether his behaviour may have breached his professional responsibilities as mayor.

"I will abide by any decisions or recommendations of the commissioner," he said.

As for his marriage, Brown said he and his wife Andrea Brown are committed to staying together and "working through our private issues" with the help of a marriage counsellor and a church minister.

He said his wife was "extremely angry" and his actions have put a "tremendous strain" on their relationship.

"My primary focus must always be to earn the love and respect of Andrea and my family," he said.
    Taking leave? Can you believe this guy? Do the right thing and resign. We have no room for people like this as mayors.
    How can we expect you to govern when you can't even control yourself?

10+ Year Old Account
    At first I thought this was the new mayor of London UK and was like "damn that was fast".

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Ehhh...
    I'm not saying this is acceptable, but humans aren't perfect. And we have a tendency towards moral balancing. This debauchery may actually be a sign that he is performing his other duties exceptionally.
    Like doing an intense workout and then going to McDonalds.

But yea, what he did is obviously wrong, and I'm surprised he didn't resign. I just wouldn't necessarily associate this with an inability to do his mayoral duties.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nathreim View Post
    At first I thought this was the new mayor of London UK and was like "damn that was fast".
    Me too lol

Ah yes, the fake outrage over something that's none of our damn business.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windso...fair-1.3635625

Taking leave? Can you believe this guy? Do the right thing and resign. We have no room for people like this as mayors.
    Because having sex and having the ability to govern or make good political/economical decisions aren't actually related to each other.

Not acceptable because he's married, other than that it's none of our business.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Ah yes, the fake outrage over something that's none of our damn business.
    If this was none of our business, it wouldn't be news.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathreim View Post
    Oh shit I just realized it isn't. My point still stands though.

10+ Year Old Account
    exactly. i missed your fresh take on these important news events tennisace.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

lol Bullshit. The "news" latches on to anything they think will get views/clicks.

I looked up the deputy mayor and she's a solid 6.5/10.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    lol Bullshit. The "news" latches on to anything they think will get views/clicks.
    I don't know where you live but here in Canada this type of behaviour isn't acceptable. Why would you defend someone who cheats on their wife and kids?

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, trying to bait people to click on a thread with "London Mayor" in it when it's just some minor town in Canada is not tolerated. Closing this.

CLOSED.