Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

California surpasses France as world's 6th largest economy

Home to Hollyweird and Silicon Valley, the largest living thing on Earth and the tallest, probably the home to the oldest living thing too.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/06/17/calif...t-economy.html

REUTERS California is now the sixth largest economy in the world, surpassing France thanks to a robust state economy and the strength of the U.S. dollar.

California was the world's eighth-largest economy as of last year, according to Irena Asmundson, chief economist of the California Department of Finance.

"California did exceptionally well in 2015," said Asmundson. "Lots of sectors did well."

California is home to diverse strong economies, including Silicon Valley and Hollywood. Manufacturing has performed well, as has the agriculture sector, despite a severe drought, said Asmundson.

The nation's most populous state has outpaced the rest of the U.S. on job growth. Its gross state product was $2.46 trillion, with 4.1 percent of state growth this year in real terms, according to the state's finance department.

Nationally, gross domestic product grew by 2.4 percent in 2015. Growth slowed to 0.8 percent in the first quarter of 2016.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Suck it France.

It's weird when people talk about the US economic system being trash, when we have states that are richer than most nations.

Quote Originally Posted by Tempguy View Post
    It's weird when people talk about the US economic system being trash, when we have states that are richer than most nations.
    It's trash because of the widening inequality, not the overall economic status.

And even the overall economic outlook is poor because of said inequality. Also, comparing the US to 3rd world nations don't do your arguments any good.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    It's trash because of the widening inequality, not the overall economic status.

And even the overall economic outlook is poor because of said inequality. Also, comparing the US to 3rd world nations don't do your arguments any good.

France is a third world nation?

Suck it France!

10+ Year Old Account
    It's the American right that claims the US economy is shit. Especially a certain presidential candidate is happy to tell it everyone who does(n't) wanna hear it.

Should be mentioned, recently Cali was 8th.. But was also once on 5th place.
    Past the top 2 it's more or less momentary lapses. The next 10 are all rather closer together.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, comparing the US to 3rd world nations don't do your arguments any good.
    What third world nations are you talking about?
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Pretty sure that being home the current IT-service fad is helping a lot, especially given how close the top ranks usually are. Afaik the french economy hasn't been doing truly great for some time either, so, congrats I guess?

Exclamation

France is a third world nation?

Suck it France!
    I was referring to your assertion about "most nations", which obviously meant lumping 3rd world nations into it.

But by all means, be blinded by your partisan bias.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    What third world nations are you talking about?
    Following the context is difficult.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Quote Originally Posted by The-Shan View Post
    R e p u b l i c
    o f
    c a l i f o r n i a

independence now
    Well, there are a number of Republicans who want to kick California out of the union.

I was referring to your assertion about "most nations", which obviously meant lumping 3rd world nations into it.

- - - Updated - - -

Partisan bias? What party am I alligned with? 'Murica?

All I see is someone making silly claims with no thought put into the words being said.

Our education K-12 is trash
    Our min wage is indeed in need of updating.
    We do have a gun problem
    Etc
    Etc

However, acting like we don't have some of the worlds best colleges, one of the words best economies , and a standard of living that enables even our poor to have a better life than the majority of the world, does not mean i have a bias. It's just fact.

So stop being butt hurt, pull up your big boy pants, and just admit America is not this cesspool you think it is. One of our states beat France in the economic sense. A Liberal state at that. Why are you mad?

Edit;

and take your advice on context. The thread is about France and Cali. It takes the entirety of the European Union to match Americas economy. Last I checked the EU is not third world.

So what if I include third world nations. Some of our states can compete with entire first world countries. So your adding in if third world means nothing.

Now outdated but relevant

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comp...DP_in_2012.jpg
    Last edited by Tempguy; 2016-06-18 at 07:35 AM.

10+ Year Old Account

You cannot blame it on his partisan bias, when it's you who took his words literal.
    I've read the same thing you did, but contrary to you, I've only thought of the top 15 economies.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Partisan bias? What party am I alligned with? 'Murica?

All I see is someone making silly claims with no thought put into the words being said.
    Says the one making sweeping statements and lumping 3rd world nations into the comparison.

Our education K-12 is trash
    Our min wage is indeed in need of updating.
    We do have a gun problem
    Etc
    Etc

However, acting like we don't have some of the worlds best colleges, one of the words best economies , and a standard of living that enables even our poor to have a better life than the majority of the world, does not mean i have a bias. It's just fact.
    Says the one strawmanning my replies by claiming I accused you of saying all aspects of america are great.

So stop being butt hurt, pull up your big boy pants, and just admit America is not this cesspool you think it is. One of our states beat France in the economic sense. A Liberal state at that. Why are you mad?
    Says the one who claims that I thought America was a cesspool, which I patently did not claim, at any point and in any of my past posts.

I know it's a democratic state, and I was actually criticizing the inequality in California, albeit indirectly but considering the parties I am conversing with, anything short of putting it right in front of their noses is going to end up lost in translation or strawmanned.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    You cannot blame it on his partisan bias, when it's you who took his words literal.
    By "not literal", you mean to put words in his mouth and strawmanning his claim?

Most nations means most nations, and not first world nations.

Oh lord. I can't even anymore

Why are you mad? What are you arguing here? What is your point?

What about that cataclysmic drought California is supposed to be in the middle of?

Oh lord. I can't even anymore

Why are you mad? What are you arguing here? What is your point?
    If you actually read, which you didn't, I was pointing out that overall prosperity =/= quality of life and (relative) economic equality.

Instead, you are here projecting your anger on me, when I am actually addressing all your points succinctly.

Quote Originally Posted by b0928 View Post
    What about that cataclysmic drought California is supposed to be in the middle of?

Money can blend into a nice smoothie I hear. But this is from Trump so take it with a grain of salt.

Says the one making sweeping statements and lumping 3rd world nations into the comparison.

Says the one strawmanning my replies by claiming I accused you of saying all aspects of america are great.

Says the one who claims that I thought America was a cesspool, which I patently did not claim, at any point and in any of my past posts.

I know it's a democratic state, and I was actually criticizing the inequality in California, albeit indirectly but considering the parties I am conversing with, anything short of putting it right in front of their noses is going to end up lost in translation or strawmanned.

- - - Updated - - -

By "not literal", you mean to put words in his mouth and strawmanning his claim?

Most nations means most nations, and not first world nations.
    Holy crap dude, did you just click this thread to have a fit? Everything was cool until you started posting. I also think you are trolling. I mean who says "I patently did not claim"? Is this real life?

If you actually read, which you didn't, I was pointing out that overall prosperity =/= quality of life and (relative) economic equality.

Instead, you are here projecting your anger on me, when I am actually addressing all your points succinctly.
    And that has to do with the size of economy how?

Cause last I checked, I wasn't talking about individual quality of life. You brought that up. Probably triggered. Are you French by chance?

Probably not since you have not surrendered.

Quote Originally Posted by Speaker View Post
    Holy crap dude, did you just click this thread to have a fit? Everything was cool until you started posting. I also think you are trolling. I mean who says "I patently did not claim"? Is this real life?
    It's only cool when conservatives get to engage in their usual circlejerk and echo chamber, right?

It's not cool when "authoritarian leftists" come into the thread and point out something true, even if it is contrary to conservative propaganda and talking points.

It's only cool when conservatives get to engage in their usual circlejerk and echo chamber, right?

It's not cool when "authoritarian leftists" come into the thread and point out something true, even if it is contrary to conservative propaganda and talking points.

Actually, from what i have seen its okay to bash anerica, but other nations are taboo. That may just be me though.

Also, confirmed not to be French. Keep up the good fight. Nevah surrender!