A lament for the nightshift worker

Just been checking out the new content again and would really like to give legion a try. However there is an issue, nightshifts. My work schedule is pretty much a full week of nights or days and then a full week off. This has pretty much been my schedule since Cataclysm, so raid commitments are limited. Its been really frustrating as I miss raiding consistently from TBC and WOTLK. I miss doing challenging content and the comradery.

Now with my current schedule I could only commit to a consistent 50-75% attendance and I'm fully aware for serious mythic raiding it is unacceptable. In WOD and previous expansions I would just fall behind gearwise, resulting in me pretty much giving up. However with Legion coming and mythic 5 mans helping you gear up. Is it enough to stay relatively competitive and stay afloat? To be able to raid on alt runs without being a burden to the group.

It would be great to get to participate in challenging content again in a group setting. If it is possible with CRZ and third party raid filling sites as well as filling the role on alt runs. What role would you guys recommend being easiest to fill? I'm thinking a RDPS probably being the most flexable.

Anyone have any input or advice regarding this? Raid Leaders, fellow nighshift workers, beta players. Anyone been able to make this work or am I just wasting my time trying.

Cheers! Thanks for your time in advance.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can try Group Finder for getting into groups or for making your own. Group Finder works well for some and not well for others but it's worth trying. Mythic+ promises to be really difficult content and you may have some luck finding a smaller guild that wants to concentrate on that. Those should be competitive for gearing while being fairly hard.

Good luck. Night shifts and irregular schedules are hard to work with in the game. I travel a lot myself for work so never know two weeks in advance whether I'm going to be around or not. So I get it. Hope some other people post to extend my advice.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2016-06-18 at 03:07 AM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

I usually hit up LFR when I feel like a raid, I work all kinds of hours as well.

I raided in a guild from 2:30 AM to 6:30 AM my time back in T17 and still ended the tier US 88th. I'm currently in a weekend guild that raids 12:30 AM to 4:30 AM.

There are plenty of late night Mythic guilds if you look for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Skutch View Post
    I usually hit up LFR when I feel like a raid, I work all kinds of hours as well.
    He is looking to actually raid though, that's the issue.
    The only advice I can give the OP is to raid on off nights.
    That's what I do too.
    I only have Tuesday and Sunday's off so I have coordinated raids around that time.
    I work night shifts on Monday and Thursdays, and normal shifts the other days.
    We raid 8 hours a week and still clear everything in the normal length tiers.

Shouldn't be that hard to find a guild like that.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

I don't know if you are in North America or not, but when I worked nights I played on the Oceanic Servers

It isn't so much the time you are working but the whole working one week off a second thing...

You can keep up decently well with mythic dungeon but they are something you really want a set group they are not pug friendly.

Deleted
    We used to raid late night 11pm - 2am and it worked well.

You could whore yourself across numerous guilds for heroic raids so when you are on nights you raid morning/afternoon guild and when on days you raid evening/night guild. I see no reason you couldn't find 2-3 groups who would want you to raid with them on a shift patterns.

As for what class/spec, I'd suggest something you enjoy playing is always the first decision. I'd also say it helps to have a needed offspec like heal. So I'll suggest Shaman.

Deleted
    there's usually a few late-night pugs every week on Openraid, will probably continue in legion aswell

My hours have been inconsistent since cata too, so I just stick with LFR. Now I am online around midnight consistently, but yeah, good luck finding a guild running raids that late.

Quote Originally Posted by jayeffkay View Post
    Just been checking out the new content again and would really like to give legion a try. However there is an issue, nightshifts. My work schedule is pretty much a full week of nights or days and then a full week off. This has pretty much been my schedule since Cataclysm, so raid commitments are limited. Its been really frustrating as I miss raiding consistently from TBC and WOTLK. I miss doing challenging content and the comradery.

Now with my current schedule I could only commit to a consistent 50-75% attendance and I'm fully aware for serious mythic raiding it is unacceptable. In WOD and previous expansions I would just fall behind gearwise, resulting in me pretty much giving up. However with Legion coming and mythic 5 mans helping you gear up. Is it enough to stay relatively competitive and stay afloat? To be able to raid on alt runs without being a burden to the group.

It would be great to get to participate in challenging content again in a group setting. If it is possible with CRZ and third party raid filling sites as well as filling the role on alt runs. What role would you guys recommend being easiest to fill? I'm thinking a RDPS probably being the most flexable.

Anyone have any input or advice regarding this? Raid Leaders, fellow nighshift workers, beta players. Anyone been able to make this work or am I just wasting my time trying.

My guild has a really nice ranking system. We have raiders that must be there every raid, then we have backup raiders that raid on specific times that they have to communicate to the guild leader and then we have socials. What we do is: on main raid (Mythic) we take raiders and available backup raiders and switch them around depending on fights and the gear they need and on Thursday we have a full heroic run for socials (which i personally attend - me being a 748 ilvl raider) where everyone can attend, some people gear alts, some just come on their mains, overall it works very well.

I only hope that you will find a guild with a similar system

I haven't been part of a raiding guild since Cataclysm but I still get my fill of raiding. No longer do I have to schedule my own time around raiding times which are almost always at night, I simply use the group finder to raid whenever I want. The group finder itself has some problems but you'll be fine if you join raids with Personal loot. Some groups also offer TS, which greatly increases the chance of success for a pug.

The biggest issue with group finder (imo) is that most raid leaders will ask you for achievements before inviting you to the raid, so if you start raiding mid-patch then you're gonna have a difficult time. Although in my personal experience when this happened to me during BRF I was lucky enough to find a pug that accepted me without any achievement and got me the achievements for that raid. There are also some websites that can be used to form groups, although I can't remember the name as I don't personally use it.

You could also try finding a guild that has members that also work night shifts, although it might be a bit difficult since almost all guilds I've seen raid at night. Your best bet might be to play in a different region and see if their raiding hours fit your schedule.

When I worked 3rd shift, I'd raid with an Australian guild that started raid at 7AM my time.

I had the same issue man, I worked at a bar and would not get home until really late. What I ended up doing was finding a guild in a different timezone as me. So I would be raiding at 3-4am whereas for the rest of my raid it would be 7-8PM. That honestly will probably help with guild applications too, imo it says a lot about you xD

Quote Originally Posted by jayeffkay View Post

I work week nights. That is why I moved my guild to a 7-11pm saturday and sunday schedule.
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP