Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Cool WoW with more realistic graphics...

It's always frustrated me that WoW has the potential to be graphically a lot more impressive than it is at face value. Most people just can't see past its sylised cartoony art direction, and as much as I appreciate the huge amount of work that goes into WoW's art assets, I personally prefer a much more realistic and gritty experience.

So I've been messing around with shader injection, and with a few tweaks and a 75% reduction in colour saturation WoW really can look a lot more realistic:

Default Goldshire:

Realistic shaders:

Default Human Tower:

Realistic shaders:

Default Orc Tower:

Realistic shaders:

Couple of other pics:

I'm loving the darker, grittier feel. Less Hobbiton and more Westeros!
    ----------------------------------------
    1999 - 2001: Ultima Online
    2001 - 2004: Dark Age of Camelot
    2004 - Today: World of Warcraft
    *** 19 years of MMO gaming ***

I don't see how "dark" is the same as realistic. Have you not been out into the country on a sunny day?

Quote Originally Posted by Mic_128 View Post
    I don't see how "dark" is the same as realistic. Have you not been out into the country on a sunny day?
    The realistic part is more about not being on LSD, like with the high level of saturation in the default graphics :P

Stood in the Fire ArMeD_SuRvIvOr's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    This is just desaturation, not really "realistic" as you put it. Warcraft has always been about saturated colors and huge shoulder pads (sorry, Warhammer!). Don't like it, find another game to play.
    Really sucks if they start to limit their vision for an expansion just to get the next one out faster.
    BLOOD DPS. Never forget. Still campaigning to get you back, babe.

That doesn't look more realistic, it just looks darker. I personally love the way wow looks, always have. If they tried to actually make it look "real" it would look to fake, like in the matrix when neo if fighting 7000 agent smiths in the park. If you want a dark,gritty, "realistic" mmo, go play something else.

[Banhammer, Kungen's Bane]

1.60 sp mace
    150 str
    268 sta
    77 defense
    80 dodge
    93 parry
    "As you look upon the mace, you hear the whining of a thousand fanboys. Something deep with in your soul makes it impossible to think anything but 'lol.'"

Opinions are opinions and you're entitled to like what you want, BUT those edited pictures look anything but realistic (especially the first Nagrand one).

more realistic looking wow ... http://imgur.com/a/EreT7

10+ Year Old Account
    Those colour-drained graphics just look bland. Much prefer the colourful ones.

One can always set his monitor's brightness to low. There's your more realistic graphics.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalien View Post
    It's always frustrated me that WoW has the potential to be graphically a lot more impressive than it is at face value. Most people just can't see past its sylised cartoony art direction, and as much as I appreciate the huge amount of work that goes into WoW's art assets, I personally prefer a much more realistic and gritty experience.

So I've been messing around with shader injection, and with a few tweaks and a 75% reduction in colour saturation WoW really can look a lot more realistic:
    You do not speak for 'most' people. You speak for yourself. And the fact that WoW is far more successful than any 'realistic' MMO suggests that not as many people agree with you as you would assume.

If you want realistic and gritty there are plenty of other games that provide that by design.
    Last edited by Mirishka; 2016-06-18 at 11:30 PM.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ah God people go easy on the guy. We have all thought about how wow would look with better graphics. TBH it doesn't really look all that bad. Just go easy on the hate please. I think we have experienced enough hate the last few weeks to do us a life time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Darker means more realistic? Don't really see the point.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantombeard View Post
    Ah God people go easy on the guy. We have all thought about how wow would look with better graphics. TBH it doesn't really look all that bad. Just go easy on the hate please. I think we have experienced enough hate the last few weeks to do us a life time.
    Those pics don't really represent better graphics though, just different shaders.

It's literally the same thing, only the lighting changes...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Magnus View Post
    Darker means more realistic? Don't really see the point.

Those pics don't really represent better graphics though, just different shaders.
    But-but they're dark and gritty! Just like those Batman movies!
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Those all look worse. Yikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Kulthar View Post
    That looks really cool, would love to see the world redone in Witcher 3 quality.

Take all my gold!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalien View Post
    That looks really cool, would love to see the world redone in Witcher 3 quality.
    And the NPCs/races would look ridiculous against those backdrops. If you want Witcher 3, go play Witcher 3.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    But-but they're dark and gritty! Just like those Batman movies!
    All these years of people wanting better graphics and all Blizzard had to do was make everything a few shades darker, idiots!

Doesn't look like WoW. Looks like a modern-day piece of crap game. Just like all those fools re-doing Zelda stuff in Unreal 4, doesn't look like Zelda, just looks crappy.